Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

mr binman bad news

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,641 ✭✭✭sillysocks

dayshah wrote: »
    If you are out of contract you don't need to give any notice.

Do you know how long the 'standard' contract is? Need to cancel mine, going to go with Oxygen. Deighted not to have to use those recycling bags anymore!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,081 ✭✭✭wellboytoo

relevant to above topic €30.00 per tonne just added to the cost of disposing of landfill, I would imagine it won't be long before this is passed on.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,975 ✭✭✭nkay1985

wmpdd3 wrote: »
    Anyone try cancel with Mr. Binman? DO you have to give 30 days notice if your out of contract? I'm going to use up all my clear bags then move to a cheaper option.

Is there a cheaper option?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,072 ✭✭✭sunnysoutheast

nkay1985 wrote: »

We recently moved to Wastepal as we only need to put the black bin out every few weeks and they offer a low upfront fee with a charge per lift. It took a while to get set up with them but they've been very reliable since.

SSE

• Registered Users Posts: 9,624 ✭✭✭wmpdd3

I am paying €26.33 per month with Mr. Binman, I e-mailed Oxegen and this is what they came back with:
    There are a couple of Options for new customers at the moment

€240 all inclusive package, if you pay this up front we will collect from now until Jan 2013 so you get 14months for the price of 12

If you pay by direct debit it works out as €20 per month, you can pay it monthly, quarterly, half yearly or yearly. You pay the first installment upfront and then if you opt for monthly you pay 11 installments of €20 starting from the 1st of the following month, eg if you join today, you pay €20 for the month of Nov then you first Direct Debit is taken the 1st Dec.

There is a pay as you go option you pay the fixed fee upfront of €140 then put an €8 tag on the black bin, a €4 tag on the green bin and the brown bin is free of charge. The fixed fee will cover your collections until Jan 2013.

The bins are collected every two weeks, the brown and green bin is collected one week and the black bin the following week.

The Cheapest option is to pay the €240 upfront as if you break it down over the 14 months it works out as €17.14 per month

If you have any queries or need more information please don’t hesitate to contact me on 051 850422.

Kindest Regards,

So I'm going to go with €20 per month. As the poster above, I've had a nightmare with the clear bags, I couldnt get more, even when I left out the order card. It's maddening as some people use the clear bags for their refuse too instead of buying black bags...

Edit: Wastepal is cheaper again, either €16 per month or €18.25

https://www.wastepal.com/hservices/2/1

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,582 ✭✭✭Speak Now

Collected as normal today so i'm going to hang in there....not that i have much choice :pac:

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

It would appear that Mr Binman don't enforce the bag rule - so many use the bags for everything and there still collected. We were given extra bags even when we never asked so it would appear maybe to be hit and miss who or what area are given extra bags without hassle. Perhaps the new owners, assuming there will be, will change how things work.

Oxegen appear to be cheaper since they took over initially. Seemed to be competitive!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,624 ✭✭✭wmpdd3

Some interesting marketing on Monday, my bins were collected by Mr Binman and I went out 20 mins later to bring them back in.

Greenstar had attached a leaflet to every Mr Binman bin on the street.

• Registered Users Posts: 249 ✭✭daaave

wmpdd3 wrote: »
    Some interesting marketing on Monday, my bins were collected by Mr Binman and I went out 20 mins later to bring them back in.

Greenstar had attached a leaflet to every Mr Binman bin on the street.

same here today in tramore-wouldn't like those tactics,plus i don't think they do a compost bin out here either.

• Registered Users Posts: 600 ✭✭✭savic04

My MR Binman has been collected as normal last few weeks...

I pay them direct debit monthly, so not sure how it will effect me..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 123 ✭✭achiman

can anyone tell me if mr binman has stopped their free recycling/green bin collection service in the city...

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

achiman wrote: »
    can anyone tell me if mr binman has stopped their free recycling/green bin collection service in the city...

Nope.

• Registered Users Posts: 725 ✭✭✭Funfair

collected mine Tuesday so unless they stoped today..

good :D

• Registered Users Posts: 829 ✭✭✭forfuxsake

They didn't collect mine last week, I called them and they said that they were entitled to stop this service in November but had been continuing it as a courtesy which was now being phased out. I asked them if they had sent a letter or a text to inform me and I was told quite curtly that they were not obliged to.

has definitely stopped now.(for me) but could be a bit random.

• Registered Users Posts: 357 ✭✭billythepig

merlante wrote: »
    Just as well everyone decided to go for the "efficiency" of the private sector over the city council's service... Seems like they were a little *too* efficient in their attempts to undercut the council.

Mark my words, the whole country will have their waste collected by 2 or 3 large waste collection companies within a few years. Rates will go up and up, service will go to the dogs, councils won't be able to do a thing, and the government will tell us all to "shop around".

Waste is an output of life and work and is not optional. It should be provided by the state is one way, shape or form.

we didn't know how good we had it when the council were collecting it,
    mine use to be collected before 9am every week without fail until them other eejits took over, now your never sure when they are going to turn up,
    feckin bin lorries all over the town until all hours of the night now,
    city council should take it back.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16 MARSH78

Wonder who'll collect Mr Binmans bin's after they finish up? Maybe then he'll see how waste removal is meant to be done!

MARSH78 wrote: »
    Wonder who'll collect Mr Binmans bin's after they finish up? Maybe then he'll see how waste removal is meant to be done!

Finishing up? Hope not, be lost without them.

• Registered Users Posts: 467 ✭✭YumDeiseMum

achiman wrote: »

I had a Mr. Binman guy call at the door last night, he said that they have new owners and that the first change that was made was to get rid of the 'free' recycling pick up. He said that you can still use up what bags you have left but that no more will be given out.

He said that its now going to be €220 for 12 months (or €18.40 a month). Thats for 3 bins, rubbish collected one week, recycling and compost the next.

I had a Mr. Binman guy call at the door last night, he said that they have new owners and that the first change that was made was to get rid of the 'free' recycling pick up. He said that you can still use up what bags you have left but that no more will be given out.

He said that its now going to be €220 for 12 months (or €18.40 a month). Thats for 3 bins, rubbish collected one week, recycling and compost the next.

What was this free recycling thing about?

I've been on their silver service for the last 12 months which is very similar to the package you've just described, except that all three bins were collected once every two weeks rather than alternating from week to week.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,990 ✭✭✭longshanks

It didn't matter which company you were with, you could register with Mr binman for free recycling bin collection. I think that offer is finished now though.

longshanks wrote: »
    It didn't matter which company you were with, you could register with Mr binman for free recycling bin collection. I think that offer is finished now though.

Wow that was a good offer. Wonder how it was in their interests to do that.

• Registered Users Posts: 829 ✭✭✭forfuxsake

Wow that was a good offer. Wonder how it was in their interests to do that.

Well it seems to have been a great success :D

• Registered Users Posts: 179 ✭✭thomas01

I knew the free green bin collection was too good to last. I've had my green bin collected for free for well over a year now. Thankfully I have a good view bags left. I'm on Wastepal's light use option for the rest of the bins, which works out really good value over all.

I did a comparison of the different options a while back on my blog.
    It might be of help to someone.
    http://deisedeals.com/cheapest-waterford-refuse-collection/

• Registered Users Posts: 3,245 ✭✭✭old gregg

^ the blog does not include Greenstar?

• Registered Users Posts: 138 ✭✭leduke

a rep from mr binman called to my house last night looking for me to change over from greenstar so don't think they closing down yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,630 ✭✭✭marlin vs

They didnt collect my bins this week or last week.

They appeared to be collected on the Dunmore Road today. Even though its usually a Thursday they collect there.

they took my free recycling bin yesterday ...i emailed them to enquire about the service on tuesday but got no reply ...hit and miss

• Advertisement

marlin vs wrote: »
    They didnt collect my bins this week or last week.

Have you put your 2012 sticker on the bin?
    Still collecting mine regular.

Advertisement