Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

mr binman bad news

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,898 ✭✭✭✭seanybiker

Still collecting here anyways. Never had a problem with them

• Registered Users Posts: 353 ✭✭ComfyKnickers

Still collecting where I am too. We share bins and cost with next door neighbour, neither of us would have huge amount of rubbish so it works out great. We've still got old corpo bins so if there isn't room for our stuff some wk, we store it there till following wk. Makes it a bit cheaper for both families.

Remember, sharing is caring, tho some people might think that's just rubbish!!! :-)

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

Anyone know the next collection day? I can't find this years collection calendar!

• Registered Users Posts: 357 ✭✭billythepig

i said it before and il say it again, the council should never have let it go,
    at least we all knew where we stood with them and what day they were going to turn up, unlike these private companys,
    shame in those councillers who voted on privateisation

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,827 ✭✭✭ex_infantry man

at least we all knew where we stood with them and what day they were going to turn up, unlike these private companys,
    few brown envelopes passed around shur

• Advertisement

few brown envelopes passed around shur

you wouldn't be far off there:cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 355 ✭✭chelloveks

Still collecting where I am too. We share bins and cost with next door neighbour, neither of us would have huge amount of rubbish so it works out great. We've still got old corpo bins so if there isn't room for our stuff some wk, we store it there till following wk. Makes it a bit cheaper for both families.

Remember, sharing is caring, tho some people might think that's just rubbish!!! :-)

That's a smart move!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,582 ✭✭✭Speak Now

Thankfully they did outsource as the council only did the handy runs, many had no service.

• Registered Users Posts: 188 ✭✭invalid

you wouldn't be far off there:cool:

You are so off base as to be in another timezone. The bin service cost money to WCC, it had to be subsidised by the rest of the city councils budget.

As for brown envelopes, grow the feck up. That is the usual baseless slander that someone comes up with when they do not have a logical or reasonable argument or evidence to to back up there point.

It was a business decision, that's it. Plus waste collection policy is an executive function of the City Manager not a reserved function of the councillors. All they could do was express an opinion.

It should also be noted that by exiting the waste collection service the city council can now do an very important function control, monitor and prosecute waste collection companies who break the law, something it could not do when it was in competition with them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Many have little or no idea how local governance is carried out and who has what powers.

That said it is curious how with the market to itself the corpo ran a loss yet now there are 4 (I think) companies who believe it worth their while servicing a small part of the total market.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 188 ✭✭invalid

By far was the biggest cost was the very generous waiver scheme.

Thankfully they did outsource as the council only did the handy runs, many had no service.

they covered the city, thats why they are called the CITY COUNCIL,
    tuff shyte if your living in the county or across the bridge

• Registered Users Posts: 479 ✭✭membersonly

Would you consider running as an independant candidate in the next general election billythepig? You make some great points and you are in no way weird or scary.

• Registered Users Posts: 39 Marymoll

I changed to wastepal few months ago when mr.binman trucks where 'breaking' down a lot.not only missing collection days,but then started coming round , one nite as late as 10pm !!! waste pal seem to be a lot cheeper and collect every week (altho they have loads of different price plans) really cant complain about their service :D

mr binman was up on my street at 5.15 this morning WTF :eek:
    he just drove up, no bins out, turned around and drove off,
    never gave people a chance to even put the stupid bin out, feckin eejits.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

Half of Mr Binman was sold, but the Clonmel chain which includes Waterford is still in Receivership. We got a bill for €125 that covers May - October for three bins (2x 240l and 1x 140l) fortnightly collection. Expensive, and I have no idea if the company will be around or not in a few months.

Wastepal are offering the same service for €219. If we wanted PAYG, its €11.50 per empty for the 240l bin (waste & recycling). Brown bin, 140l, €8 per empty. There seems to be no initial fee but a service charge of €5.75 a month.

Oxigen are looking at €240 for the year, all bins 240l. PAYG is €8 for waste and €4 recycling for €160 a year. Brown Bin is free.

Greenstar are looking at €249 for the year but all three bins are 240l. There offer confuses me. It says every four weeks they do two collections for each bin. It then goes onto say its current service is actually every three weeks but will change to every two weeks in January 12 (so now). PAYG is €1.50 per lift for the recycling bin (240l) and 7.50 for waste (240l) with compost €5.50 (no size given).

I assume there isn't any other players in the market in Waterford?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,624 ✭✭✭wmpdd3

I have mr binman for 20 per month. Green and brown bin every week, black bin every 2 weeks.... And they posted me a shed load of bloody clear bags!!

• Registered Users Posts: 286 ✭✭ArtVandelay76

wmpdd3 wrote: »
    I have mr binman for 20 per month. Green and brown bin every week, black bin every 2 weeks.... And they posted me a shed load of bloody clear bags!!

Yeah same here €20 a month if you tell them greenstar are doing it for that.

Why join Binman if others are cheaper and same service?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,226 ✭✭✭nikkibikki

Ring Mr. Binman voicing your concerns, saying u don't wanna fork out €125 when ur not sure if they'll b in business in a few months (99% sure they will b btw!) they will give u a better deal!

• Advertisement

nikkibikki wrote: »
    Ring Mr. Binman voicing your concerns, saying u don't wanna fork out €125 when ur not sure if they'll b in business in a few months (99% sure they will b btw!) they will give u a better deal!

How are you so sure?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,624 ✭✭✭wmpdd3

They were offering better deals to me but i couldnt pay anything up front so i went for 20 a month, im with them because the collection day suits me.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,226 ✭✭✭nikkibikki

Can't say here exactly Sully, there is some positive activity, for want of a better phrase, happening.

Ring them, sure what's the worst that can happen??? :D

• Registered Users Posts: 6,975 ✭✭✭nkay1985

Just signed up to Wastepal myself.

They're doing a great deal where, if you get referred by someone, you get two months free collection and the person who referred you gets €25 credit. My aunt was already with them so that was great. I'd happily refer anyone if they don't know anyone who's with them.

They're €219 for the year so you basically get the first year for €182.50. Hard to beat that.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,808 ✭✭✭Stokolan

My binman is up in June i think. Will probably switch as putting the recycling in bags then in a bin is a pain in the arse

• Registered Users Posts: 6,975 ✭✭✭nkay1985

Stokolan wrote: »
    My binman is up in June i think. Will probably switch as putting the recycling in bags then in a bin is a pain in the arse

Yeah this was the biggest deciding factor for my wife. Not being able to just dump from the bag we use in the kitchen straight to the bin was a nightmare.

nkay1985 wrote: »
    Yeah this was the biggest deciding factor for my wife. Not being able to just dump from the bag we use in the kitchen straight to the bin was a nightmare.

What's the big deal using the bags they provide? Put it into the bin, fill it, put it in the green bin. The bags are free and they give you more when needed. If its general waste, it can go into the black bin in any bag. Food waste the same.

Spoke with them today, happy with the price they offered and they expect there to be a buyer in the next few weeks.

• Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 9,034 Mod ✭✭✭✭Aquos76

nkay1985 wrote: »
    Just signed up to Wastepal myself.

They're doing a great deal where, if you get referred by someone, you get two months free collection and the person who referred you gets €25 credit. My aunt was already with them so that was great. I'd happily refer anyone if they don't know anyone who's with them.

They're €219 for the year so you basically get the first year for €182.50. Hard to beat that.

Im heading into my third month with them now, excellent service, should be getting the first of a couple of recommend a friends €25 credit soon enough too.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,130 ✭✭✭tombliboo83

Stokolan wrote: »

I find the bags easier and tidier. Mine is up this month but they send me an invoice for €137 for 6 months which I won't be paying if thats their best price I will be switching

• Advertisement

I find the bags easier and tidier. Mine is up this month but they send me an invoice for €137 for 6 months which I won't be paying if thats their best price I will be switching

Just call them and explain the situation.

Advertisement