Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

frost watchers

Options
  • 13-10-2011 7:03pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 31

what is the best type of heater for frost protection in attic . i heard the convector type is not acceptable from some insurance companies

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,431 ✭✭✭M cebee

I dont think those convection heaters will raise the temperature much in an average attic in freezing temperatures

• Registered Users Posts: 302 ✭✭SparKing

As M Cebee says, unless the attic is very small and well insulated, frost watchers aren't very effective when it comes to the very cold temperatures experienced in the last 2 years, Insulating the pipes and tank in question is probably a better course of action for the long term.
    The other issue with frostwatchers in my experience is that the built in frost stat setting comes on at too high a temperature, i.e. not cold enough, so that it may increase your electricity bills unnecessarily.
    A high wattage (e.g. 500 watt) heat lamp over the tank using the recommended cage enclosure controlled by a standalone frost stat is more effective in my opinion, that, combined with insulating all pipes with armaflex or similar insulation offers more effective frost protection in my opinion.

• Registered Users Posts: 834 ✭✭✭indie armada

on the subject of frost protection, what are your opinions of the frost protection cable. ATC which are a dublin based company are doing these now and it seems to be a good system, however the stat which is sealed and not adjustable or sevicable is the only draw back. has anyone ever used these or are they up to the job. there relativly inexspensive and easy to fit so was thinkin of putting one on my mains pipe where it enters the house.

http://www.atc.ie/uploads/pdfdocuments/products/ATC%20Frost%20Protection.pdf

Advertisement