Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Boy in the Attic

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 necrofudge

The fact that the irish authorities kept it quiet and swept it under the carpet is an alarming issue. The newspaper reports stated two errors, one being the death of little john horgan being accidental, and two stating that a juvenile ie: lorcan bale.. was 14 yrs old and helping garda with enquiries, which in fact john horgan was murdered and lorcan bale was 16 at the time.
    It is not found who released this information.. was the authorites trying to cover it up? I am not blaming the authorities or being biased, because in fact a good job was done, for the investigation was thorough that day, they arrested lorcan bale and solved the murder within short hours of the murder, and in fact they took thorough forensic evidence even though the murder was solved, they even went back to the scene of the crime alot. ..but the controversial issue is... why was bale treated as a small petty thief, allowed to be in an open cell, free to walk around, free to watch tv and get an education within the prison, treated like he only stole a couple of sweets, just because he was born into a middle class well educated family... whilst people who only stole as much as a saddle off a horse and whom were born into poor families, were thrown into solitary or treated much worse than an evil satanic murderer. Fair enough that was in the 70's.. but why as the years have progressed in ireland is this case still closed and private and brushed under the carpet. I thank god for Mr Malone in writing the book, In memory of john horgan a 7yr old child, who deserved more than a closed forgotten case, and the majority of people who read the book can now pray for this forgotten child who died at such peril. People need to know the danger of the occult and the dangers of the satanic bible and the worshipping, there is a reason why that holy cross was not removed from the attic after all these years, there is a reason why lorcan bale walked up the walls of a neighbours house and left footmarks from floor to wall to ceiling and the satanic pentegram on the roof, and there is a reason why a priest fell to the ground and declared '' i have seen the face of evil'' when looking into the cell at bale, and there is also a reason why his friend lorcan conroy witnessed a posession like state out of bale whilst summoning from the ouija, and that reason is the devil, satan himself. Just please protect your children from such practices, for ireland is not as safe and religious as people think. This knowledge needs to be read and spread of the satanic devastation of lorcan bale, the satanic boy from palmerstown dublin.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,882 ✭✭✭JuliusCaesar

necrofudge wrote: »
    This knowledge needs to be read and spread of the satanic devastation of lorcan bale, the satanic boy from palmerstown dublin.

Two families were ruined that day. The thinking at the time was that murder was murder, usually due to private motives, and therefore wasn't of great public interest. This may have been a more accurate assessment of most murders than the tabloid interest shown today.

• Registered Users Posts: 233 ✭✭Mary28

I head about this years ago. My boss was a neighbour at the time.
    Lots of terrible things happen in this country, just like anywhere else.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 8,224 ✭✭✭Going Forward

fryup wrote: »
    read the book over the weekend, to me it smacks of a cynical money making exercise on the author's part

it badly written too esp the second half, he goes off on so many tangents:rolleyes: talking about the history of palmerstown, IRA prison escapes etc

it would have been better as a sunday supplement article but as a book its an unsatisfiying read (imo)

Ha, my LOL line was "the bus took the right turn to Palmerstown
    " (or wherever).

I was glad to hear the driver finally learned the route properly.

In fairness, I thought it was OK, bit repetitive, had to be padded out a little I guess.

I dont know how the victim's family got through the ordeal.

I am also convinced that the perpetrator received adult guidance in his chosen interests. This was not discussed thoroughly enough in the book IMO, nor does it look like it was addressed sufficiently during the original investigation.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,067 ✭✭✭✭fryup

I am also convinced that the perpetrator received adult guidance in his chosen interests. This was not discussed thoroughly enough in the book IMO, nor does it look like it was addressed sufficiently during the original investigation.

you have to get into the mindset of the time...ireland of the 1970s just couldn't comprehend something of that nature, best to sweep it under the carpet was the attitude

• Closed Accounts Posts: 328 ✭✭BlueSmoker

Not a chance, if something happened like this in our country, I would like to know why

A) So we understand why it happened

B) So that it can't ever happen again.

So no I'm not happy with the way this was brushed under the carpet, who ever decided to do do that, I was 8 when this happened, 1 year older than the victim, I lived in a similar area to John. And as always in Ireland we thought these things where always a once off, we decide to turn a blind eye, let's cover it up

Example of another cover up was the burial of the Dalkey Babies.

http://blather.net/blather/2005/07/the_dalkey_baby_and_the_house.html

I'm prity sure if I focused my mind I would find other story, that where brushed under the table, this certain should not be one of them

• Registered Users Posts: 1,559 ✭✭✭cruais

I read about this case last year in one of the papers... I think it was the independent. They had a two or three page story in the Saturday magazine.

Truelly shocking stuff all together!

• Registered Users Posts: 1 Palmerstown63

I lived 5 doors away from the Bales and the Horgans. Still remember it all well.

• Registered Users Posts: 524 ✭✭✭silverski

Greetings all,

Does anyone know where I could find the archive of that Joe Duffy show, relating to this.
    Regards
    Silverski

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 169 ✭✭terryhobdell

silverski wrote: »
    Greetings all,

Does anyone know where I could find the archive of that Joe Duffy show, relating to this.
    Regards
    Silverski

I found this email for the guy who runs a player Web site with more recent JD shows maybe he can help you have the date of original show mike@player.fm

I found this email for the guy who runs a player Web site with more recent JD shows maybe he can help you have the date of original show mike@player.fm

Thank you for your help

Regards
    Silverski

IIRC, derek mooney did a fairly substantial piece on this at the time too.

IIRC, derek mooney did a fairly substantial piece on this at the time too.

Is he also on RTE

silverski wrote: »
    Is he also on RTE

Yes, search the website , may be a podcast on it.

Was an interesting show .

Greetings all,

Yes, had a quick look but could not locate pod cast.

Does any one happen to remember the date of the show.

Cheers.

It will be another week or so before I can acess podcasts as I they are not availbale in work, Will have to wait till I return home.

Cheers
    Silverski

• Registered Users Posts: 169 ✭✭terryhobdell

2nd post says heard on liveline today dated 13/10/2011

2nd post says heard on liveline today dated 13/10/2011

Greetings,

Many thanks, I found the Liveline link for the show, but looking for the Derek Mooney link.

Cheers
    Silverski

Greetings all,

I have just ordered the book.

Perhaps this may fill in a few gaps... Will wait and see.

Kind regards
    Silverski

• Registered Users Posts: 623 ✭✭✭Fiolina

I happened to find the book in a charity shop just after reading this. It's a very good read,very well written with lots of research done. I finished it in one go.

• Advertisement

Greetings,

Just recieved the book in the post.

Have started the first few chapters on the plane , on the way to work.

It brought back so many memories.
    I could feel the weather of the time.
    Remembering the area like it was yesterday.
    Remebering that Thursday from my perspective.
    And the following week.

Some names have brought back memories, long forgotten.

Silverski

• Closed Accounts Posts: 212 ✭✭DainBramage

read the book in one sitting a few years ago. (I actually bought the book in Tesco but going by above posts it looks hard to come by now??)
    I found it unputdownable and utterly chilling at the same time. Maybe because I am from the Lucan area and had heard rumours of the story when i was young, but never knew any specifics, names etc .
    Found it chilling as it mentions so much detail I am familiar with, how they took the 25 to school, names of shops and estates etc in Palmerstown and Lucan that I know well.
    A very sad almost forgotten story from 1970's Ireland, hopefully the families eventually found some peace.

• Registered Users Posts: 623 ✭✭✭Fiolina

I'm finished with the book if anyone wants it. I'm in Raheny, Dublin 5 but I could post it to wherever.

Greetings,

I am just over half way thru the book.

The photo's have brought even more memories of the time.
    It is a long timesince I seen a photo of John, he is just as I remember him.

Also this was the first time I seen photo's of Lorcan.

Also, taken back at how close I was to some people with out realising it.
    and although I count them as friends today, frienships formed from many different palces and times, I had no idea about how deeply connected we were.

It has been a difficult read, hence the time it has taken to read this far.

Regards to all
    Silverski

Greetings all,

I am stuck, I was unable to finish the book.

and now with a new house move, I have mislaid the book.

Part of me wants to find it and part of me wants to forget.

I was not very happy with the way the book was compiled, perhaps this is part of the issue.

Regards
    Silverski

I lived 5 doors away from the Bales and the Horgans. Still remember it all well.
    Greetings,

Do you perchance have any contact with the Horgans.
    Its has been so many years since I last saw Mr and Mrs Horgan.
    They came to see me after the tragedy at our school.
    If it were possible to pass a message on to them from me.

Kind regards
    Silverski

Greetings,

I was hoping that one of the posters here might still be in contact with Mr. and Mrs. Horgan

And could pass on a message from me.

I have tried. But living so far away, I have not had much luck

Thank you

Regards
    Silverski

Interesting piece on Broadsheet.ie yesterday about the case:

http://www.broadsheet.ie/2016/06/22/the-devil-is-in-the-detail/?utm_source=internal&utm_medium=web&utm_content=most_commented

The house hasn't changed much by the looks of things.

hollyville-1.jpg
    389732.jpg
    https://goo.gl/maps/XgCwQD7WEBD2

Interesting piece on Broadsheet.ie yesterday about the case:

http://www.broadsheet.ie/2016/06/22/the-devil-is-in-the-detail/?utm_source=internal&utm_medium=web&utm_content=most_commented

The house hasn't changed much by the looks of things.

hollyville-1.jpg
    389732.jpg
    https://goo.gl/maps/XgCwQD7WEBD2

Greetings,

Thanks for the link to the article.

Regards
    Silverski

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,656 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

That Broadsheet synopsis of the case is astoinishing. Also how did a 15 year old find access to black masses? There seemed to be a lot of Opus Dei people in his community, probably some people had a connection to the occult and satanic rituals? The Gardai didn't seem so keen on finding out either way.

Advertisement