Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

smithfield fruit & veg market

Options
  • 13-10-2011 8:05pm
    Registered Users Posts: 416 ✭✭

could anyone tell me how to get to the market exactly? and do many of you go at all?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,371 ✭✭✭Fuinseog

trixyben wrote: »
    could anyone tell me how to get to the market exactly? and do many of you go at all?

its in a somewhat run down area aka dodgey. there were notions that it could be the English market of Dublin. it certainly has potential.

• Registered Users Posts: 416 ✭✭trixyben

Fuinseog wrote: »
    its in a somewhat run down area aka dodgey. there were notions that it could be the English market of Dublin. it certainly has potential.

sorry but where is it? im not familiar with the city

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,880 Mod ✭✭✭✭BeerNut

It's here. It's not dodgy at all when it's open, which is before 2 in the afternoon. That said there's not much to see, unless guys driving forklifts is what you're into.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,676 ✭✭✭strandroad

Is it a wholesale market only? Or can a law abiding member of the general public (i.e. me) go in to get a bag of groceries?

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,880 Mod ✭✭✭✭BeerNut

I've been told that there's one retailer in there somewhere, but otherwise it, and the area in general, are pretty much just wholesale.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,422 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

mhge wrote: »
    Is it a wholesale market only? Or can a law abiding member of the general public (i.e. me) go in to get a bag of groceries?

Theres a few places inside that sell to the public, fruit, veg and flowers.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,995 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

mhge wrote: »
    As there is no VAT on fruit and veg anyone can purchase there but it not really the done thing as you have to buy in bulk. For example, you'd have to buy a box of apples/oranges/pears/peppers, a 25kg bag of onions, 120 scallions, a full bag of cabbage etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,405 ✭✭✭Dandelion6

There are a couple shops on Abbey Street just behind the market that sell to the public and not just in bulk.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20 Pete Digger

Yep, it's a wholesale market rather than a "farmers' market". I used to go there with my dad - who was a market gardener before he retired - with bags of cabbage, boxes of scallions and celery etc.

It's a little past its heyday now. They're used to be a good greasy spoon place inside called Paddy's Place where the farmers would go for brekkie once they'd delivered to the wholesalers. A lot of the wind has been taken out of the place's sails by wholesalers setting up further from the city centre to take advantage of lower rents.

All that being said, it still has a good few of the old names inside and you don't have to buy a pallet's worth. Obviously you can't buy individual items of fruit and veg or half a box of this or that, but you can pick up a 10kg bag of spuds, a chip of mushrooms or a box of apples. (Scallions, incidentally, you can buy in boxes of 12 bunches).

It's where the old girls who sell on Moore Street buy their stuff, as well as the small corner shops. It's wholesale prices and no one asks to see a trader's licence (I don't think there's even a legal requirement for one. You can just buy there if you know you're going to get through the stuff at home before it spoils).

It always made sense to me for 2 or 3 people/couples/families to draw up a joint shopping list and buy from there. Good savings and just split the stuff up afterwards.

Advertisement