Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Monitor recommendations for 1st time mum to be

Options
  • 13-10-2011 8:16pm
    Registered Users Posts: 135 ✭✭

Hi there,

Im a 1st time mum to be and am due in about 12 weeks (yay!)

Anyway, Im starting to look around at various bits and pieces and I really dont know where to start with a monitor, there are sooo many.

Any recommendations?

Does anyone have one that they think is rubbish or like wise one they may be very happy with?

thanking u in advance

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 747 ✭✭✭qwertytlk

Hi, yea the tommee tippee sensor monitor is good. Or likewise the angelcare. They both have a sensor mat that you put under the mattress so if baby stops breathing an alarm goes off. Great peace of mind for new mum. I have the tommee tippee one and find it great. Cant remember the exact price but it was around 80. Best of luck with the reest of pregnancy and the birth!

• Registered Users Posts: 213 ✭✭pogcica

This make has worked for us with two kids and is still working well very popular in Denmark so the extra channels comes in handy when you meet someone with the same monitor. http://www.novababy.com/SuperNOVA.asp

• Registered Users Posts: 1,011 ✭✭✭Vego

angelcare...pricey but worth it ...can be got sometimes in tesco on sale

• Registered Users Posts: 1,617 ✭✭✭Cat Melodeon

We have the Tommee Tippee Crystal Clear SureSound and are not impressed with it at all. It regularly tuned itself out and started beeping randomly, nothing to do with reception or power issues. Probably going to replace it this time round, haven't decided what with yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 457 ✭✭Winnie

We got the BT Monitor in Mothercare and cant fault it at all

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,641 ✭✭✭sillysocks

We've the Angelcare too and love it. Great peace of mind, esp when baby goes into their own room. Wouldn't be without it!

• Registered Users Posts: 135 ✭✭Quins5

Thanks so much everyone, its get to hear from people who have experience with various monitors :) as its so hard starting from scratch!:eek:

x

• Registered Users Posts: 73 ✭✭bobobear

I have a digital tommee tippee one, and I got the mat too (separately).

The mat seems to work fine, but the monitor has one really annoying part - if the transmitter and receiver are in the same room the feedback is absolutely terrible. Really loud screeching - obviously this wakes the baby. I have to remember to leave the receiver part outside the bedroom all the time, and when I turn them on (you have to push buttons on both units at the same time) I have to leg it out of the room as fast as I can.

Although, it seems like such a ridiculous design flaw that I must be doing something wrong.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 111 ✭✭Betsy18

I would definately recommend the angelcare monitor, as a ftm too i find them brilliant. instead off checking that my baby is breathing ten times through the nite i just check the monitor which detects the babies movements and i am comforted to know that he is ok! i bought mine on a**zon for half the price you would pay in the shops! worth a try!!

• Administrators, Business & Finance Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,921 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Toots

Another thumbs up from me for the Angelcare! I think I'd spend the night staring into the moses basket if I didn't have this. I got it for €79 in Tesco, it was reduced. It was back to full price when I was in during the week but keep an eye out in case it's reduced again.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 105 ✭✭alibride

i loved the summer video one because when they get older you can see exaclty why they are crying!! legs stuck through the cot or whatever.
    personally i didnt like the angel monitor as i heard from other people the alarm had gone off accidentally or if the baby moves off the mat the alarm goes off - so didnt want to be getting heart failure for no reason!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,641 ✭✭✭sillysocks

alibride wrote: »
    i loved the summer video one because when they get older you can see exaclty why they are crying!! legs stuck through the cot or whatever.
    personally i didnt like the angel monitor as i heard from other people the alarm had gone off accidentally or if the baby moves off the mat the alarm goes off - so didnt want to be getting heart failure for no reason!

The false alarms thing was something we were afraid of after reading stories online but 10 months in we've never had a false alarm and our little one never stays still in the cot, she's always wriggling into corners etc. There's different sensitivities on the mat so you can set it to less sensitive when they start moving around more.
    I do often think that the video monitor would be handy now becuase as you say we're at the stage where the baby sits up or gets stuck and without going into the room we don't know if she's crying for no reason or not.

I saw the other day that Angelcare do a video monitor but its very expensive. If you wanted the benefits of both it might be worth getting just the movement mat by Angelcare (Argos had them half price the other day so might still be on offer - its just the mat and alarm without any sound monitor), and then for sound/video get a video monitor.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,919 ✭✭✭ziggy23

I'd definitely recommend the summer infant video one I found it great. You can also walk around with it if you're going into another room etc

• Registered Users Posts: 2,192 ✭✭✭Lola92

I am going to go against the flow here and recommend this basic fisher price one. I have found it great, no problems at all! A lot cheaper than the alternatives and I think a video/movement mat would have me paranoid.

• Registered Users Posts: 289 ✭✭Cottontail

ziggy23 wrote: »
    I'd definitely recommend the summer infant video one I found it great. You can also walk around with it if you're going into another room etc

I'd second the Summer infant monitor as well. We've had it for the past 2 years. We're going to get another monitor as expecting baby no 2 and we're going to get another Summer one:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B004EHZ58W/ref=s9_simh_gw_p75_d0_g75_i1?pf_rd_m=A3P5ROKL5A1OLE&pf_rd_s=center-2&pf_rd_r=1BG0FC2YH4AT1MB0B0J8&pf_rd_t=101&pf_rd_p=467128533&pf_rd_i=468294

I like this one because you can move the camera around using the parent unit, you can also get extra cameras for other rooms if you have more than one child. It is a bit pricey alright but it looks good and I like the Summer monitors from the first one we got.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,919 ✭✭✭ziggy23

Cottontail wrote: »
    I'd second the Summer infant monitor as well. We've had it for the past 2 years. We're going to get another monitor as expecting baby no 2 and we're going to get another Summer one:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B004EHZ58W/ref=s9_simh_gw_p75_d0_g75_i1?pf_rd_m=A3P5ROKL5A1OLE&pf_rd_s=center-2&pf_rd_r=1BG0FC2YH4AT1MB0B0J8&pf_rd_t=101&pf_rd_p=467128533&pf_rd_i=468294

I like this one because you can move the camera around using the parent unit, you can also get extra cameras for other rooms if you have more than one child. It is a bit pricey alright but it looks good and I like the Summer monitors from the first one we got.

The one I had wasnt as high-tech as that but worked brilliantly I'm actually giving it to my sister in law now who's due any day :)
    This is the newer version of the one I had
    http://www.toys.ie/Summer-Infant-Secure-Sight-Video-Monitor-!104124-prd.aspx?qwSessionID=3f2eff68-4f73-4702-95ee-5854d451064e

• Registered Users Posts: 135 ✭✭Quins5

Thanks a million everyone, your advice is brilliant and much appreciated :)

I must say Im leaning towards no sensor mat as I think Id have a heart atack and be super paranoid.

Thanks again x

• Registered Users Posts: 37 Bashful

We have the BT 150 monitor and think it is very good.

• Registered Users Posts: 114 ✭✭SarahC11

I have the summer video one aswell.i think its great you can just have a quick look at the monitor to see what they're up too! really good if ya have a lil wriggler like mine, she's always getting out of the blankets and turning the opposite way in the cot!!

• Registered Users Posts: 63 ✭✭Jenniflower87

I seen in Ikea today that they have monitors for 29.99 if thats any use to ya. They seem to be bog standard but do the job :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 12,449 ✭✭✭✭pwurple

Angelcare one. Would not be without it. Got it on amazon, that little swinging pendulum is amazing peace of mind, especially if you have ever had any experience of cot death.

It was a little tricky to remember to switch it off at the start when we were picking her up for feeds, but we soon got used to it. It alarms in about 5 seconds when she is out of the cot.

Advertisement