Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

web hosting

Options
  • 13-10-2011 8:34pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3,513 ✭✭✭

Ok so i have created a website for friends to look at, really just to put pictures i have taken online for personal use, now I am just wondering what would be the best web host for this, obviously there wont be much traffic if any, i would say a couple of people might log on once or twice at most. i have about 60pics, jpg's 640*480 so space wise would i need much?

Mainly though it is just the host bit i need advice on?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,208 ✭✭✭✭aidan_walsh

Sorry, but we don't allow hosting recommendations on boards for historical reasons.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,600 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

Surely something like Flikr or picasa would be suitable

• Registered Users Posts: 100 ✭✭VMotion

kbannon, in all fairness, though you can upload images to Flikr or Picasa, it is not your own website. It is just a free image gallery.

One could also argue the reliability of the free service and the privacy of the photos.

OP, anyway if displaying your photos online for friends is the only purpose of the website, you could consider Picasa/Flikr indeed.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,065 ✭✭✭✭Malice

VMotion wrote: »
    One could also argue the reliability of the free service and the privacy of the photos.
    You could say the same thing about the Cloud. That doesn't stop it being the buzzword du jour.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,183 ✭✭✭dvpower

Have a look at Google Sites. Very simple to set up, free hosting, and can go a bit further than hosting pictures.

You could also get a free .co.cc domain name.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,689 Mod ✭✭✭✭stevenmu

Tbh for something like this any of the main Irish hosts, should be fine. You might save a small few euros going for a US or other host, but probably not enough to be worth it.

Just make sure that if you created the site using Microsoft technologies that you get Windows hosting to support it (usually same price as linux hosting anyway).

• Registered Users Posts: 100 ✭✭VMotion

Malice wrote: »
    You could say the same thing about the Cloud. That doesn't stop it being the buzzword du jour.

Couldn't agree with you more. Cloud is still maturing. It is pretty much not ready for enterprise level solutions but technologies evolve everyday and it will be eventually reliable enough to consider deploying it.

Advertisement