Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Carbon seatpost

• 13-10-2011 8:55pm
    Registered Users Posts: 52 ✭✭

Apart from looking better any advantages, or disadvantages,changing an alu seatpost to a carbon one? Its a carbon bike.Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,076 ✭✭✭gman2k

In general it should be lighter than an alu one.
    This in itself won't make any difference to the bike, but if you were to reduce the weight of as many parts as possible, the total weight reduction may make a difference....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,508 ✭✭✭Lemag

Carbon seatpost is supposed to dampen road buzz somewhat and you'd be less likely to have to perform a seatpostectomy in the future with your carbon - carbon combination.

If you've got oversize rails on your saddle make sure that the seatpost clamp will be able to accommodate them. A lot of the FSA carbon seatposts can't.

• Registered Users Posts: 52 ✭✭BDK

Thanks for the replies,I would be more interested in the dampening than saving weight but every little helps.I read a review of a carbon framed bike and they said that a carbon post would have been more comfortable especially as it was 31.8 diameter.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,995 ✭✭✭✭blorg

From my own experience carbon might be marginally more comfortable. I think I have carbon posts on all my thin tyred bikes though. 27.2 is more comfortable than 31.6 (more flex.)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,005 ✭✭✭ashleey

Whatever you do, take care to use the correct torque when adjusting the clamp. They are sensitive to this and a snapped post will be extremely uncomfortable!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 52 ✭✭BDK

I think thats what the reviewer was saying that at 31.8,the alu post was too rigid.Might invest in carbon,the roads around clare can be rough.Have a torque wrench,no amount of carbon can dampen a snapped post!Cheers.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,076 ✭✭✭gman2k

BDK wrote: »
    I think thats what the reviewer was saying that at 31.8,the alu post was too rigid.Might invest in carbon,the roads around clare can be rough

No amount of carbon seatpost will smoothen out Clare roads......

If you want a more comfortable ride, look at your tyres, saddle and bartape and position on the bike before 'investing' in carbon anything.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,099 ✭✭✭morana

It wont make an iota of a difference! Let a little air out of the tyres if you want a little more comfort....

Advertisement