Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

A few, basic, yet I don't know the answer for, questions.

Options
  • 13-10-2011 9:24pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,374 ✭✭✭

Is a quad core better than a dual core?

Why do I always see people saying the the q6*** series are better than q8*** series while the q8***s are newer? Thus the question, why are the q8***s cheaper?

If the quad cores are better, should I upgrade my E6600 conroe into a q8*** series?

Currently, I have a s**t motherboard at the moment which runs RAMs at single channel and at a maximum 667MHz. It's a 775 mobo. Should I upgrade? If so, is the 680i a good upgrade? And if so, what would it be worth today?

Thanks a lot in advance for all those that are going to answer any of the questions :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,710 ✭✭✭Monotype

I don't think the Q6000 series was better, it's probably just that it has wider compatibility with older boards.

If it runs RAM in single channel, then just put two sticks into the right slot. I wouldn't upgrade a system like that unless it's very cheap. I don't know if a Q8000 series CPU is compatible unless you have the name of the board. Value is probably low, but we'd need more details. Have a look at the price of similar systems on adverts and ebay, or use the thread in the computers and technology forum.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,180 ✭✭✭Serephucus

We'll need your system specs, your budget, and your intended uses for the new computer before we can be of any real help.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,374 ✭✭✭LeakingLava

corsair hx620w
    bfg 8800 gtx
    4Gb fatal1ty RAM (can run on dual channel but can't due to mobo)
    stock mobo, ECS MCP73VT-PM Mainboard (had it on previous manufacturer made PC and just didn't bother upgrading it.
    Intel E6600 conroe processor
    1.3Tb Hard Drive

That's my system.

Here's the situation, I know somebody selling a evga 680i sli motherboard. It has exactly what sockets I need which are, a 775 processor socket, DDR2 RAM dual channel slots and extra x16 PCI slots ready for SLi which I'm actually planning to do sooner or later. He is also selling a quad core processor and that's where the quad core questions are coming from.

I would just be gaming it. I've also done some research about the quads, and I found a person having a problem playing crysis on quad core but not on a dual core with the same settings and all that. I found it pretty strange so I don't really know.

EDIT: The mobo is for sale for around 40 quid.

RE Crysis problem, that's something unrelated. You won't have any problems what-so-ever playing games because you have a quad core vs. a dual core.

You didn't include how much money you're willing to sink into this. Links to this guy's stuff - assuming it's online - would also be helpful. It might end up being that it's about the same for you to just upgrade everything.

If you buy his CPU and board then you don't need to worry about compatibility.
    Don't let him rip you off.

Yes, the quad core will be definitely better than your E6600.

• Advertisement

Serephucus wrote: »
    RE Crysis problem, that's something unrelated. You won't have any problems what-so-ever playing games because you have a quad core vs. a dual core.

You didn't include how much money you're willing to sink into this. Links to this guy's stuff - assuming it's online - would also be helpful. It might end up being that it's about the same for you to just upgrade everything.

Right now, I have a dual core. (didn't quite understand your first point so might as well point that out)

To be honest, my question in basic english is, should I get his mobo (the 680i)?

another question is that, should I get his q8*** series processor as well? I believe that he'd been using it on that board. (He never actually told me which q8000 it actually is.)

Monotype wrote: »
    If you buy his CPU and board then you don't need to worry about compatibility.
    Don't let him rip you off.

Yes, the quad core will be definitely better than your E6600.

How much do you think is the mobo worth?

Right now, I have a dual core. (didn't quite understand your first point so might as well point that out)

To be honest, my question in basic english is, should I get his mobo (the 680i)?

another question is that, should I get his q8*** series processor as well? I believe that he'd been using it on that board. (He never actually told me which q8000 it actually is.)

My first point was with regard to (RE) the Crysis problem you mentioned. The guy having a problem playing Crysis with a quad core isn't because of the quad core, it's something else, so just ignore that.

As to whether you should get the motherboard / processor: links! Otherwise, what board / processor is it exactly, and how much does he want?

Links to this guy's stuff - assuming it's online - would also be helpful. It might end up being that it's about the same for you to just upgrade everything.

I didn't really pay attention to the website that much so I didn't get a chance to save the link to it and now I can't find it. Sorry about that.

My first point was with regard to (RE) the Crysis problem you mentioned. The guy having a problem playing Crysis with a quad core isn't because of the quad core, it's something else, so just ignore that.

As to whether you should get the motherboard / processor: links! Otherwise, what board / processor is it exactly, and how much does he want?

Well here's the link for the mobo, http://techgage.com/article/evga_nforce_680i_sli/

He wants 40 for the board but I'm going to try and decrease the price a bit because I still have to buy some thermal paste and that stuff.

As I said, he never told me any details whatsoever about the processor apart from saying that it was 'something like q8.......' and that's it. We could maybe skip the processor part for the moment and just focus on the board :P

• Advertisement

The evga 680i is a good board, I remember building a system with one a while back. It's probably worth more to someone who needs one of the better boards out there to upgrade their own as you won't find 775 boards readily available - however, keep in mind that you could get a new AMD system which would perform better and with newer features for ~€200 (8GB RAM + CPU + board). I wouldn't pay more than €70 for the board anyway.
    You should bargain below that to ensure that you're definitely getting a better deal than a new system.

The evga 680i is a good board, I remember building a system with one a while back. It's probably worth more to someone who needs one of the better boards out there to upgrade their own as you won't find 775 boards readily available - however, keep in mind that you could get a new AMD system which would perform better and with newer features for ~€200 (8GB RAM + CPU + board). I wouldn't pay more than €70 for the board anyway.

Well that's a great thing to hear/see. One of my geek friends said that it should be worth about 5 or 10 quid due to the fact that the mobo's about 4 years old. Lol. Thanks a lot Monotype.

EDIT: about the AMD stuff, not really familiar and that I think would be too much hassle, I haven't got much money or time so it wouldn't really be a great option for me. Thanks anyway!

That brings me back... my first rig used a 750i FTW. Great board... loud as hell northbridge fan though... *ahem*

You could try for €25-30, but €40's not a bad deal either. I actually have 4GB of DDR2 RAM lying around, if you'd like that (€40?).

That brings me back... my first rig used a 750i FTW. Great board... loud as hell northbridge fan though... *ahem*

You could try for €25-30, but €40's not a bad deal either. I actually have 4GB of DDR2 RAM lying around, if you'd like that (€40?).

I've got 4Gb DDR2 RAM (fatal1ty) ones as I said in my previous post with all the specs of my PC atm. :P All I'm missing is a good mobo and maybe a processor(don't know yet about that lol.) and most likely, a monitor.

I've got 4Gb DDR2 RAM (fatal1ty) ones as I said in my previous post with all the specs of my PC atm. :P All I'm missing is a good mobo and maybe a processor(don't know yet about that lol.) and most likely, a monitor.

*facepalm* Of course, my bad.

Well, what sort of size / resolution / budget were you looking for?

He wants 40 for the board but I'm going to try and decrease the price a bit because I still have to buy some thermal paste and that stuff.

That doesn't sound too bad, especially if you can get a further reduction. If you got the board and processor for less than €100 and kept your old RAM (or ask him to throw in his?), I think that it would be a good upgrade.
    Well that's a great thing to hear/see. One of my geek friends said that it should be worth about 5 or 10 quid due to the fact that the mobo's about 4 years old. Lol. Thanks a lot Monotype.

Maybe your board would be worth about that. :)

*facepalm* Of course, my bad.

Well, what sort of size / resolution / budget were you looking for?

Well to be honest, there isn't a budget ready. But I'm looking out for 22-24" full hd monitors. And currently, I'm just saving up to try and get one. Any suggestions?

That doesn't sound too bad, especially if you can get a further reduction. If you got the board and processor for less than €100 and kept your old RAM (or ask him to throw in his?), I think that it would be a good upgrade.

Maybe your board would be worth about that. :)

LOL I actually KNOW that my board is worth about 2 quid. Haha. I actually just bought my RAM just recently. Do you see anything wrong with it? It can run up to 800MHz but only my mobo is holding it up so when I get the new one, then I'll see how it actually performs. Honestly though, is there something wrong with the RAM I have?

http://www.ocztechnology.com/ocz-ddr2-pc2-6400-fatal1ty-edition-dual-channel.html

There it is.

Something like this, for a monitor, maybe. I have the older (and apparently better) U2410, and it's an absolutely amazing monitor that blows all the other monitors I've ever used out of the water.

Something like this, for a monitor, maybe. I have the older (and apparently better) U2410, and it's an absolutely amazing monitor that blows all the other monitors I've ever used out of the water.

Holy motherload. I never thought about 300 quid as a price for one. Sorry but being poor, I only look at adverts.ie. Lol. (I didn't make that clear, my bad.)

• Advertisement

Just found out what processor it is. It's a q8200/SLB5M.

How much do you think it should be?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,696 ✭✭✭Jonny7

Just found out what processor it is. It's a q8200/SLB5M.

How much do you think it should be?

Q8200 - lower than 50 euros and you are getting a good deal (no more than 60 euros) - Ebay completed listings

EVGA 650i - again, any lower than 50 euros and its a deal

Assuming of course both are in working order.

I know the stuff is 4 years old, but since there are so many users with 775 motherboards and systems, the chips/mbs are still retaining good value - in some cases they'll cost more second-hand than a faster new alternative chip (e.g. from AMD)

Thanks a lot jonny. Just the answer I'm looking for. One more question, Is it worth upgrading to the q8200?

Yes.

It's almost the same clockspeed as your processor (2.33 vs. 2.4), with the same L2 cache (4MB), and uses less power (45W vs. 65W). If I'm remembering correctly, the 8200 doesn't overclock very well, but if that's not a concern - and even if it is - it's a pretty good upgrade.

Thanks a lot guys. Yeah, overclocking isn't really my thing. I kind of go with the rules and I just sort of not like gettin' out of the rules, so yeah that's fine. Thanks a lot guys. All my questions are answered now. Thanks again!

Advertisement