Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

False readings at petrol pumps.

Options
  • 13-10-2011 9:35pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 8,224 ✭✭✭

Speaking to someone today who regularly brings an accurately pre-marked (at 10 litres) empty 5gallon drum to petrol stations and buys exactly 10 litres of juice.

He rarely gets 10 litres.

I've not tried it myself, but I do not doubt him, and I see very very few metrology service stickers on pumps anywhere.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,666 ✭✭✭GerardKeating

Speaking to someone today who regularly brings an accurately pre-marked (at 10 litres) empty 5gallon drum to petrol stations and buys exactly 10 litres of juice.

He rarely gets 10 litres.

I've not tried it myself, but I do not doubt him, and I see very very few metrology service stickers on pumps anywhere.

Does he bother to report them to Metrology ???

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 8,224 ✭✭✭Going Forward

Does he bother to report them to Metrology ???

Dont think so.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,382 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

You say stationS, how many has he gone to. Have they checked that the tank is accurate? the more accurate ones would have the level moulded into them.

Many measuerment vessels, like tanks, kitchen measuring jugs, beer fermenters etc, have got printed indications on them, these are often misaligned, e.g. his lines might be printed too high so it appears he is short.

A simple test is with water, out of a cold water tap 10L should weigh 10kg, so if you just have a kitchen scale you can get a 2L bottle, fill it until it is 2kg and fill the butcket 5 times and check.

I have heard it is common for 5 gallon beer fermenters to be innaccurate.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 870 ✭✭✭Jagle

also petrols density is dependent on its temperature

• Registered Users Posts: 23,538 ✭✭✭✭ted1

Let it settle before its measured

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 8,224 ✭✭✭Going Forward

Points all valid, I can only presume that he measured and marked his own drum accurately.

What really made me take notice was the fact that the traditionally more expensive stations returned a fuller or correct measurement.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,076 ✭✭✭maxer68

This comes up so often and its always someone else who says.

If you are in doubt, call the NSAI.

All pumps have seals on them and its an offence to tamper with them - min 10k fine if caught.
    Pumps are checked randomly with no pre-notice and most stations are checked at least once a year.

But if ever in doubt check it out yourself and don't what someone heard in the pub/from a taxi driver/from a mate, becasue when you dig deeper, thier story came from someone else, whose story came from someone else etc etc.

Advertisement