Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Leaving Cert Subjects

• 13-10-2011 9:40pm
    Registered Users Posts: 31

Hi, I'm in third year now and i was wondering what subjects I'll choose for my leaving cert. I really enjoy science and I am wondering if i should keep on all three sciences or would that be foolish?
    Please help.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 179 ✭✭siobhanod93

To keep your options open:
    Pick a language,
    Pick a science subject
    Any other two that you enjoy, you'll do well in them :)

• Registered Users Posts: 130 ✭✭not_so_civil

Its not foolish to do all three, provided that you really enjoy them, you're good at them and you know you want to work in the science sector.
    I did all three and theres a fair difference from JC science to LC in terms of content and all. A lot of people who only did 1 or 2 switched out when I was doing it either becuase the workload was too much or because the found out that they hated a subject that they thought they liked.
    But if you know what you want and you enjoy them, go for it. But make sure you have a language as your 4th subject, its just handy to have.

• Registered Users Posts: 31 JuniorMint

Thanks for all the help

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,234 ✭✭✭thetonynator

Language, 2 science subjects if thats what you're interested in (I'd pick Biology as one if I were you, easier than the other two.), a business subject or else something else you're interested in or something easy like Geography as the last one.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,545 ✭✭✭Geo10

If you like science and want to study it in college, some science degrees require you to have done 2 science subjects done in the LC e.g science at Trinity requires an honour in Biology and Geography or Geography and Chemistry or Biology and Chemistry or Physics and Geography etc. etc.

The NUI colleges (UCD, UCC, NUIM, UL, NUIG) require you to have a third language (German, Spanish, Italian etc.) for a lot of their courses, I don't think some do though e.g Science courses at UCC etc.

As to what subjects are most interesting, it's a matter of personal interest,
    For me Geography is absolutely fascinating and I would study it 24/7 if I could. Geography is both a science (physical geography) and a humanity (human geography).
    Business is also very intriguing and a very real-to-life subject that really prepares you for when you're older and working yourself.
    Religion is a captivating subject in which you learn about a variety of world religions and cultures, philosophy, the history and anthropology of religion, non-religious world views, morality etc.
    I also do Biology and Chemistry, both of which are really interesting and filled with lots of practical investigations and experiments!
    Biology involves more learning but is more real-to-life than Chemistry which is more about understanding concepts. Therefore neither one is more difficult than the other, just involve different types of learning. Both are big developments on Junior Cert Science which really only touches on chapters which are dealt with in much more detail for the Leaving Cert.
    I know two people who began doing all 3 sciences but ended up dropping Physics because apparently physics classes are like "watching paint dry" (both then moved to Geography which they now love).
    I don't do Economics but apparently it is very interesting. I only have one friend doing Accounting and he says the it is the most monotonous subject ever and he really regrets choosing it... but that's only one person! You might love it... do you find JC bookkeeping interesting?
    History is supposed to be great if you have an interest for it! Remember though, Leaving Cert History is all modern History (the reason I didn't choose it... I loved ancient History not modern History).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 31 JuniorMint

I don't do business so I can't do any business subjects. As to what i find interesting are maths and the three sciences. I also seem to do really well in geography, I would love to do all 3 sciences and french but i heard people who say that it is well to hard i really enjoy physics but then i also would like to do chemistry and as for my last two subjects are french (for college) and one of geography or biology. so that is why im unsure as to what will do i dont want to bite f more than i can chew

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,234 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

There is no technical reason you can't take up Business ab initio in 5th Year.
    Not all schools are in a position (because of cutbacks) to offer all three sciences at LC, so be aware of that.

Advertisement