Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

I need some serious advice

Options
  • 13-10-2011 9:51pm
    Registered Users Posts: 37

Every Wednesday my french class has a test on an opinion piece, we don't know whats on the test only the tense its in. I'm in higher level and i'm finding this really hard, because i study a lot over the days before it and i still manage to do bad, i don't know whats wrong because i can do everything else but this. Any advice would be appreciated

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 715 ✭✭✭Wesc.

Its not too bad...Just learn good phrases which you can apply into every piece and keep learning new vocabulary that's relevant. I'm sure you're not the only one struggling anyway!

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 4,992 Mod ✭✭✭✭GoldFour4

Just learn loads of vocab on random things and learn phrases saying things like "its obvious that this is a big problem in society". Keep plugging at it. My teacher wanted me to go to pass in christmas of 5th year but I didnt and ended up getting a C1 and I was terrible at written french.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,234 ✭✭✭thetonynator

Try to practice your sentence structure as well, try not to translate directly from english (at least thats where I'm told I'm wrong all the time!)

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,202 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

Talk to your teacher about where you are going wrong.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,989 ✭✭✭PictureFrame

We get 2 tests a week for French one on a Tuesday, another on the Friday. The best things to so for opinion questions is to learn off vocabulary that is general and that you can apply to different questions e.g.

Je ne partage pas l'opinion de.........
    J'adhére totalment avec ce point de vue que...
    Je pense que
    Je crois que
    la drouge devient de plus en plus inquietant de nos jours

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,234 ✭✭✭thetonynator

We get 2 tests a week for French one on a Tuesday, another on the Friday. The best things to so for opinion questions is to learn off vocabulary that is general and that you can apply to different questions e.g.

Je ne partage pas l'opinion de.........
    J'adhére totalment avec ce point de vue que...
    Je pense que
    Je crois que
    la drouge devient de plus en plus inquietant de nos jours

To add to that:

A mon avis
    Selon moi
    D'apres moi
    Je trouve que
    Je suis d'accord avec cette affirmation/ je ne suis d'accord pas avec . . .
    Tout d'abord
    Premiérement
    Deuxiemement
    troisiemement
    Pour finir
    en conclusion

• Registered Users Posts: 34 Gill_Murph

I know this might not help you for your weekly tests but keep up to date with the news around this time aswel. They make the papers 6 months before hand and the opinion question is usually topical and based on events in the news. :) Hope this helps! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 11 mnop

I know my way of learning french isn't popular but it brought me from a b3 to A2:) I tried all the learning general statements and fillers off by heart but that didn't work.But in the end, I think grammar is given too little importance and some of us can't manage to use it outside the "Find a passe composé in the third section." If you know how to construct a sentence properly, it doesn't matter that you know nothing because you get a tick every time you use any infinitive, future etc etc

Advertisement