Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Plan of Attack !!

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 109 ✭✭barrmur

BUACHAILL wrote: »
    Hey guys, Happy new year to you all

Have been neglecting this log lately due to lots of factors but time to spark this bad boy back up. I have not been keeping as close a log as before xmas but again thats going to change. Work commitments suck.

Anyway just checking back in, collecting new bike this week and still getting in the spins. Will start a fresh on Monday with weigh in, distances and maybe some pics of the new beast.

Hey Buachill is back. Been wondering where you had gotten to. Congrats on the new wheels, now it time to break them in. Lots of sportives to be training for this year. Best of luck and keep us up to date on your progress.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,909 ✭✭✭BUACHAILL

Quick update:

Got out for 3 spins last week with the new Beast and have to say I'm very impressed with it. Few small teething problems but to be expected. Managed to knock up 100k or so wasn't watching pace or time too much as its more just easing back into it than anything else. This week is more of the same, got out Monday for a nice 40k and weather was a little windy but quite mild so good for this time of year. Will get another 40k in tomorrow and then a nice long one on the weekend.

Nice to be back into some sort of routine, I have noticed a big difference in gearing of the new bike towards my last beater, the riding position also feels a lot more forward and on top of the bars not what I was used to at all so its going to take some time to adjust to it all so just going to put the miles up and worry about nothing else.

Feel the fitness slowly coming back also, been eating better last few weeks and since OH is expecting in 2 weeks no beer or alcohol is being consumed and it makes a huge difference to my energy levels on the bike and in general.

Will really pick up pace in the coming weeks and looking forward to getting a plan together of what sportive's and charity runs to participate in. Something I have never done before and another focus to help my training along. Feel a good year ahead.

Stay tuned

time to bring this thread back from the dead !! Its been far too long.

Since my last post I have continued to cycle, been ill for a time ( all good now ) and have dropped to 14stone. Thats a total loss of 2.5 stone since starting this thread, happy enough but really want to get to 12.5 stone and see how I feel from there. I have signed up for the Wicklow 200 and plan on doing lots more days. Last week I did 200k over 2 days and felt very good at the end so I am confident I can complete the Wicklow 200 but am also very aware of the animal it is with its hills so lots more training to be done in the mean time.

I have done no cycling this week but plan on getting out the weekend for a decent 60-70k spin. Will try much harder to keep this thread updated properly.

So whats everyone else been upto ??

Managed to get out tonight for a quick burst around the block as I have been hectic all week with work. Got 23k done in just over 50 mins so not too bad a pace but was really trying to just open up the legs for the Wicklow 200 this Sunday. Nothing mad just a nice pace.

Can anyone suggest what I should do approaching Sunday, I am still in two minds whether to take on the 200 or just do the 100. Not sure I have done next to near enough training for the 200 and do not want to bonk. Rather complete it and not be killing myself, there is always next year.

Would you advise getting out again before Sunday or should i just rest up now and get the carbs in ??? Any advice appreciated?.

Well got the Wicklow 100km under me belt.

Headed off this morning at 6.45 on me todd ( yes I am a loner ) and just tried to use the distance between shoreline and kilmac to loosen up the legs before the little climb into Roundwood. Of course the it would be the one day my legs feel heavy but managed to get up all the climbs handy enough. Hit a few little walls here and there but all told I didnt feel to bad. For some reason the legs never got going properly the way they normally do when training and was getting cramps towards the end. My total time for the 104k was 4hr17mins and didnt get into a group once just said feck it I will do it on my todd, I know it makes it harder but felt I could manage. I stopped once for tea and a sambo in Rathdrum for 10 mins and never knocked off the clock, cramp then hit me in my hamstring with 3k to go and I had to jump off the bike for 3-4 mins to stretch it out. My actual riding time is probably a little closer to just over 4 hrs but for my first attempt and going solo I think thats respectable enough.

Great day for it a met a lot of friendly people on the way. Have to say the event was run very well and fair play to all the organisers, helpers, and stewards etc. Will defo try my hat at the 200k next year but if i had of taken it on today I fear it would have been carnage for me. I need a lot more training and miles in the legs before I take it on next year.

Fair play to everyone who took it on there are some serious climbs on that route. Now for a few beers and the Ireland game.

• Advertisement

Went for a very handy spin last night to try loosen up the legs from Sunday. Very happy that my legs felt fine. Took in some of the Wicklow 200 route again and just did a handy 35k at a nice relaxed pace of 23k per hour. Certainly not record breaking but was nice to jump straight back onto bike. Was nicely suprised my arse was ok also ;-)

Looking to try get back at it between now and Sept and try average 200k a week if possible. Not sure baby feeds will allow it but will try my best. I have set myself new targets between now and then also.

They are as follows:

Average 200k per week
    Drop 1.5 stone between now and end of August
    Get my average speed up over 27 k per hour.
    Complete a 200k cycle before end of year.

Easier writing it than achieving me thinks

Eager to get the averages up I took to the roads again tonight. Decided to take on a few drags that I have struggled with in the past. Living in Wicklow town so headed on up towards the Beehive pub and out towards Deputys pass which was part of the Wicklow 200. I headed in opposite direction than the Wicklow 200 and went up the hill we came down before Deputys pass.

Nice drag and requires some respect well from me anyway. Happy to report I managed it quite well and got to the top with relative ease. There was a strong headwind all the way around my route which a part of me wanted. After Mondays spin I really wanted to up the pace and try get closer to this target of 27kph average I am seeking. In the end I just put the head down and went for it where I could, Felt like my heart was under a lot more pressure than normal but I was not struggling to much.

In the end did 30km in 1hr and 10mins averaging a speed of 26kph with a total climb of 550 metres ( not a huge amount i know ) but I was more chasing my pace than the hills.

Including 104K on Sunday it brings my total this week to 169k. I know its not great considering lads did 200 on Sunday itself but planning on trying to get in another 100 before the end of the week, which will be a huge increase for me.

Anybody got any Sportifs they can suggest doing ? Signed up for the ROK and really want to do as many as possible between now and the end of the summer.

Tks folks

• Registered Users Posts: 588 ✭✭✭t'bear

100km charity cycle from ashbourne/slane/Kells this Saturday at 11 am if it's not too far away

Got out on the road again today. Took off from the house in Wicklow town and cycled up to Dublin. Nice handy 35k at average speed of 26kph. nice morning for it managed to miss all the rain. Got to Dublin and went for a 5k run with my sister, time 25 mins although not sure what that means felt slow but Im not a runner, legs felt very heavy afterwards.

Brings weekly total to 204k on the bike.
    Will try get out for a decent 50k spin tomorrow if I get the time.

• Registered Users Posts: 588 ✭✭✭t'bear

What about the 1k swim :-)

• Advertisement

t'bear wrote: »
    What about the 1k swim :-)

Leave the swimming to the fishes !! I don't see myself doing a triathlon takes serious commitment and time and I don't think I could commit to that right now. Would love to think I could one day be fit enough to compete but again that's s long way away .
    :-)

So managed to get back out early this morning. Legs felt a little heavy from the jog yesterday so planned on taking it easy. Decided to head down towards Arklow for a change so off I went. Managed to cover 47.5k at a steady speed of 24kph. Was never going to be a quick pace, was more about covering some ground and loosening up the legs. Was happy enough with the weeks total, something to build on for the ROK in a few weeks time.

Weekly Total : 251.5k

Would be hoping to cover 150-200k next week but have a busy week in work so will see how it goes.

Just quick update on the last 2 weeks to date. Have decided as I am looking for weight loss as much as overall stamina on the bike I should mix my training up a little and bring in some gym work, running along with the cycling.

Monday ( 19th) - 5km run in the morning , evening did 35km cycle. Didn't push it too hard but managed 25kph

Tues - 1.5hrs gym, 30 mins cardio incl 3km run and an hour of weights working the big muscle groups and upper body.

Weds - 5 km run in the morning and 50 km cycle at an average speed of 24kph. Legs felt a little heavy from the previous days.

Thurs - 5 km run in the morning , 1.5hrs of 7 aside footie thursday evening.

Friday - 1.5 hrs gym, 30 mins of cardio incl 3km run and again 1hr spent on upper body and core.

sat - rest day

Sun - game of golf in the morning and 35k at 26 kph in the evening

Weekly totals:

Running - 23kms
    Gym - 3hrs gym time
    Cycling - 120 km
    Footie - 1.5 hrs

Wasn't a bad week all in all but to be honest am a little lost in what I should focus more time on. I know the running will help me hugely but its not something I enjoy. I really want to push on and drop the rest of my weight and will do whats needed. My eating has been very disciplined although I do enjoy some sneaky pints on the weekend. Now dropping the pits of Heineken for a glass of red.

Anyway this week to date.

Monday - 5km run in the morning - Rested Monday evening

Tues - Morning 2 hrs in gym . incl 5km run and lots more weights, focused on back and arms, Evening did a 38km cycling taking in Devils Glen in and lots of the Roundwood hills, its a little sadistic although I did enjoy it. Legs were tired but pushed hard earlier in the gym.

Weds - Morning 5km run - really tried increasing my speed in this run and ended up struggling at the end, think I was a little empty from night before. Evening played 2hrs of footie and really pushed on again was very enjoyable.

Feel ok today and will relax this morning. Will do a 5k run later today around 4pm and have another game of footie tonight. Tomorrow I will rest and will try get some longish spins in over the weekend to get ready for next weekends ROK.

To date I have dropped 2.5 stone to 14st only to now be back up to 14st 5lbs an increase in 5lbs. I dont know if its the muscle thing but makes no sense. Feel like I have done everything possible within reason, I do have a few pints the weekend and thats going to be stopped starting this weekend, my target weight of 12.5 stone seems a long way away.

I have started taking recovery shakes after exercise to keep me from hitting walls when training and seems to be working. Appreciate anyones suggestions.

Advertisement