Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

C&C - Shooting The Moon

• 13-10-2011 10:07pm
    Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,804 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Guys, theres a lovely full moon above the house and i said feck it, i'll have a go. Its my first time trying it, but what am i doing wrong?

I tried it at different settings, such as AV, Tv, 2 secs Exposure, 8 secs Exposure, heck even a 20 sec Exposure!

Thanks in advance.

Canon 550D
    Kit Lens at 55mm

6241374125_ef412fe0a5_z.jpg
    IMG_0366 by kceire, on Flickr

6241887912_215ba45ce9_z.jpg
    IMG_0365 by kceire, on Flickr

6241371295_efb3ab727b_z.jpg
    IMG_0364 by kceire, on Flickr

6241884398_c642fea146_z.jpg
    IMG_0363 by kceire, on Flickr

Also, the camera found it hard to focus (AF).

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 50,258 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

the moon is quite bright; you should try shortening the exposure.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,804 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

1/200s maybe?

• Registered Users Posts: 57 ✭✭Misstaken

Set camera to manual! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 493 ✭✭maddog

Set the Iso to 100 and then see what results you get, and then increase the iso as you go until you get the result you want;)

Misstaken wrote: »
    Set camera to manual! :)

Done 3 more,

1/200
    1/400
    1/1000

6241413949_83904fd4fe_z.jpg
    IMG_0368 by kceire, on Flickr

6241415131_0a014a9a01_z.jpg
    IMG_0369 by kceire, on Flickr

6241931924_ce29062ac1_z.jpg
    IMG_0370 by kceire, on Flickr

Misstaken, In M mode, what settings would you recommend?

Am i limited in this type of shot because of my short focal length (55mm)?

thanks so far :D

• Advertisement

Pity you don't have more of a zoom! :) Good work! :)
    Play around with manual until you get the desired result. If you shoot AV or TV, you're gonna get too long of an exposure as you are metering for a very dark sky and a tiny moon.
    Try to borrow a zoom and do it again ! :)

hmm.. sorry it's not really as simple as I explained above, but shooting manual is a better idea anyway imo. :)

Thanks, yeah completely forgot about the camera trying to auto meter!
    Out the back I go to get a long rope and try pull that moon closer!

:D

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 50,258 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

shooting manual is kinda necessary here, as it's a situation your camera meter is really not designed to understand.

You should try shooting a candle using manual mode also.... same idea and good practise. Plus your 55mm will be fine shooting a candle! :) Have fun! <3

• Advertisement

also, it's hard to take a photo of the moon which doesn't look like a million other shots...

also, it's hard to take a photo of the moon which doesn't look like a million other shots...

It wasn't about getting something different, I just wanted to try shoot using different settings etc as I mostly have the camera with during daylight hours.

• Registered Users Posts: 145 ✭✭crx===

If your using an SLR, turn the auto focus off and manually focus the lens on the highest magnification , tripod stable, and set shutter to 1/400 on manual. If you dont have remote shutter release , set the shutter timer to 2 or 10 sec .This will do the trick .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,096 ✭✭✭Gregor Samsa

Manual focus and settings are really needed for the Moon. Also, the full Moon is unfortunately the most difficult time to take pictures of it. While it looks beautiful in the sky, it's very bright in this phase, and the fact that the Sun's light is shining directly at it flattens out all the crater detail on the surface. A half or crescent Moon is easier to shoot, and looks more interesting, as the Sun's light falling at an angle on the surface gives more definition to the craters.

Here's a shot (resized crop) I tool last week testing my new Sony a77.

moon800.jpg

(Full sized crop can be viewed here)

This was taken with my Sony 70-400 G lens, on a tripod. 400mm, f5.6, ISO 200, 1/60s, Manual focus

I used a remote release to cut down on camera shake. The a77 has an electronic first curtain, so there's no shutter slap to cause vibrations. If your camera has mirror lockup, you can use that instead.

This was taken on a relatively clear night, with a bit of haze. I'm looking forward to the crisp clear nights of the cold winter. Very light cloud and haze can ruin a Moon shot - and often you won't see it in the viewfinder at the time of shooting.

55mm isn't really enough to get any detail. If that's the furthest reach you have, you might be better off trying to take a shot of the Moon in a scene - with a building or trees in the foreground, as opposed to just the Moon on its own. There's difficulties in exposing for this kind of shot, but it's worth a go.

Don't worry that you'll probably never take a unique shot of the moon - it's a fun project just to try to get a half decent shot.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,060 ✭✭✭Kenny Logins

I'm glad you asked this question, some great tips here. Thanks. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 938 ✭✭✭Rainbowsend

You will struggle to get a decent shot with a 55mm though, ideal setting are ISO 100 f11 1/250 tripod shutter release or timer and mirror lock up if possible, experiment with exposure compensation if you still find it a bit bright, but you will need a longer lens at least 300mm.

Watch out for Day Moons a much easier shot to take and the detail can still be seen, looks cool with a nice blue sky!

thanks guys, i done the pics then done a bit of reading and realised the 55mm was a big problem for shooting the moon :(

but the advice still stands and hopefully some day, i will shoot it correctly :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,096 ✭✭✭Gregor Samsa

kceire wrote: »
    thanks guys, i done the pics then done a bit of reading and realised the 55mm was a big problem for shooting the moon :(

but the advice still stands and hopefully some day, i will shoot it correctly :D

A 300mm lens would give you a very good shot at it. Maybe ask Santa for something relatively affordable like this?

http://www.connscameras.ie/promotion/P-4960999214078pd.html

(I don't know much about Canon lenses, but that that seems like a great price for any lens)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,731 ✭✭✭11811

Some good pointers here, was trying it myself last night too as an exercise. Tis tricky enough. This was my best result...
    I'd recommend using a tripod too as at the longer focal lengths camera shake becomes quite a problem!
    6241324171_1dbef327f0_z.jpg[/url]

Taken with a 70 - 300 EF on a 40d so its really 480 mm.

yep, should of mentioned, was on a Tri-Pod. just aswell with one of the exposures at 20 seconds :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,905 ✭✭✭fret_wimp2

You want to simply get a picture of the moon?

Set your camera to the higest zoom it has, focus on the moon, press the shutter half down to meter off the moon and then take your image!

The problem you are having is that the moon is very bright compared to the rest of the image. The camera is metering off the background, which is black. This lengthens the exposure causing your moon to be very very very over exposed.

If you expose ( meter) for the moon you wont have this problem.

Taken two mins ago minimum editing, 300mm x 2 converter, f11 400s tripod
    moon-3.jpg

Just an example of a Day Moon.

Taken two mins ago minimum editing, 300mm x 2 converter, f11 400s tripod

Just an example of a Day Moon.

Agh yeah, rub it in why dont ya :P

Really need a long lens to get these shots, photo looks great!

Ahh dont despair, you will get one no problem with a longer lens ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 760 ✭✭✭hbr

Most camera metering systems will have problems getting the correct exposure
    for the moon. Even with a 300mm lens, the moon will occupy a small percentage
    of the image. If the camera uses an averaging system to calculate exposure, it will
    tend to meter for black sky. Select spot metering and keep the moon in the
    centre of the frame when you are choosing your exposure settings.

Remember that the moon gets it's light from the sun, so the brightness is similar
    to full daylight here on our little rock. You will find that typical daytime settings
    work quite well for moon shots. ISO-100 and shutter speeds of less than 1/100s
    should give good results. Because of the high shutter speeds, a tripod isn't essential.
    Long exposure of 1s or more will cause a lot of motion blur because the moon is
    a moving target.

Sigma 70-300mm APO 1/125s f/10 ISO-100
    http://pix.ie/corkpix/1582509/in/album/371362

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 645 ✭✭✭StopNotWorking

Once I find the moon I'll show you what I can do with a long lens you'll probably consider as your first. The Sigma 70-300mm F4-5.6 APO DG Macro. No idea where the bloody moon is right now though :confused::confused::confused:

EDIT: If the above was done with the lens I'm about to try with then watch how much I butcher this

EDIT again:
    tuGlL.jpg
    ISO100, F14, 1/80sec. Would be more fun if it wasn't so cold out!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,878 ✭✭✭whyulittle

Should be rising in the north-east about now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 645 ✭✭✭StopNotWorking

I just ran around my entire apartment block looking for it assuming it would have risen by now..:o

e: http://www.timeanddate.com/worldclock/moonrise.html

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 10,518 Mod ✭✭✭✭5uspect

I've used a modified and cheap Lidl telescope to capture the moon.
    3537CC142A554B4F8C7A89DCA2CABC99-800.jpg
    700mm f/11 iirc.

• Advertisement

Once I find the moon I'll show you what I can do with a long lens you'll probably consider as your first. The Sigma 70-300mm F4-5.6 APO DG Macro. No idea where the bloody moon is right now though :confused::confused::confused:

EDIT: If the above was done with the lens I'm about to try with then watch how much I butcher this

Like this one?

http://www.adverts.ie/lenses/sigma-70-300mm-f4-5-6-apo-dg-macro-canon-fit/1033337

Because its a Macro, does that mean any different to zooming in as such?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 760 ✭✭✭hbr

That's the one. They are probably the best of the cheap 70ish-300mm zoom lenses.
    The Tamron equivalent is quite good too. The Canon 75-300mm is not as good.

My comments on the Sigma can be found here:
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=70738870&postcount=9
    Because its a Macro, does that mean any different to zooming in as such?

The 'macro' switch allows the lens to focus closer to the subject. It isn't
    a true 1:1 macro lens, but it makes a reasonably good close-up lens.

hbr wrote: »
    That's the one. They are probably the best of the cheap 70ish-300mm zoom lenses.
    The Tamron equivalent is quite good too. The Canon 75-300mm is not as good.

My comments on the Sigma can be found here:
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=70738870&postcount=9

The 'macro' switch allows the lens to focus closer to the subject. It isn't
    a true 1:1 macro lens, but it makes a reasonably good close-up lens.

cheers man, if i win it, thats it, im officially broke till after xmas!!!!
    My mate asked me to order a camera for him on Simply Electronics the other day, so i did, but i also took the opertunity to order a Canon 50mm F1.8 while i was there :D, couldnt say no, 95 euro and that included shipping as i was buying with the camera and also a Hoyo filter. (is that correct, a Hoyo?)

• Registered Users Posts: 301 ✭✭the_tractor

.... and also a Hoyo filter. (is that correct, a Hoyo?)

Hoya.

Advertisement