Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dennis Ritchie Dies, Aged 70.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 452 ✭✭AwayWithFaries

Probably made as much if not more of a contribution to Computer Science that Steve Jobs yet no one will ever know who he was. Pity, people like this deserve to be celebrated

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,713 Mod ✭✭✭✭Manach

May he RIP.
    Further mention on the bbc site. link

• Registered Users Posts: 2,762 ✭✭✭Sheeps

His book (and obviously his programming language) "The C Programming Language" was invaluable to me in my final year project. His name will forever be remembered in the history of computing.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,212 ✭✭✭✭Tom Dunne

Yeah, saw this yesterday.

I actually thought he was much older, for some reason.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,539 ✭✭✭davoxx

why is there only one thread and buried here when jobs had over 10 all over boards?

surely the people who saw the great changes jobs brought realise that without c, there would be none of that.

anyway, i've always wondered what the world would be like there had been some changes in c when it was designed ... did c makes technology better for it's shortcomings or did it hold it back.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 37,485 ✭✭✭✭Khannie

C is bleedin' mega. Compared to the alternatives at the time I consider it a massive step forward.

RIP Mr. Ritchie.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 1,334 Mod ✭✭✭✭croo

davoxx wrote: »
    why is there only one thread and buried here when jobs had over 10 all over boards?
    There is a thread in the Open Source forum too!
    anyway, i've always wondered what the world would be like there had been some changes in c when it was designed ... did c makes technology better for it's shortcomings or did it hold it back.
    I think in today's homogenised hardware market it can be difficult to understand the true value of Richie's C. But when you remember that back then, porting an application effectively meant rewriting it. To a large extent with C that became a recompile - okay admittedly it wasn't always that simple but it was a vast improvement on what went before. As for UNIX well I think we all here understand the benefits of a modular OS.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,212 ✭✭✭✭Tom Dunne

surely the people who saw the great changes jobs brought realise that without c, there would be none of that.

Do you really think the average punter knows what an operating system is, never mind the c language? :)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,539 ✭✭✭davoxx

Tom Dunne wrote: »
    Do you really think the average punter knows what an operating system is, never mind the c language? :)
    i honestly thought they would ... they might not know it, but they should have heard of it ...

just like i never knew nor cared about apple, i still knew about their crappy services ... i suppose i just listen :D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,745 ✭✭✭Eliot Rosewater

Dennis Ritchie made the direct precursors to two things I love: Linux and C++. As croo said, thanks Dennis. :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,996 ✭✭✭two wheels good

• Registered Users Posts: 1,726 ✭✭✭gerryk

Probably made as much if not more of a contribution to Computer Science that Steve Jobs yet no one will ever know who he was. Pity, people like this deserve to be celebrated

With respect, Steve Jobs made no contribution to computer science. He definitely contributed to the usability of computers and revolutionised the mobile/portable computing space, while making digital distribution of music and video respectable, but none of this contributes to the science of computing.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,109 ✭✭✭Skrynesaver

croo wrote: »
    I think in today's homogenised hardware market it can be difficult to understand the true value of Richie's C. But when you remember that back then, porting an application effectively meant rewriting it. To a large extent with C that became a recompile...
    This is so true, in one of the obits I read, someone described C, not as a high-level language, but as a machine independent assembly... while not strictly true, C is probably as close to the bare metal as you can get without writing machine specific code.

I haven't written in C for a long time now, but it was my third language and I still have a fondness for it (until I'm debugging someone else's monstrosity)

• Registered Users Posts: 760 ✭✭✭mach1982

Most would not have a clue what C, C ++ ,Java are.

Henry Ford did not invent the internal combustion engine, he figured a way to to exploit and sell it.

Advertisement