Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Upper Size Limit for Sea Bass?

Options
  • 13-10-2011 10:23pm
    Registered Users Posts: 11

Just going the throw this out there and see what anglers mite think? We all know that the present limit for sea bass is two of over 40cm in 24 hours. There are a large amount for bass along our coast being killed over 10lb is this the right way to conserve the sport when they take so long to grow to any great size. And would an upper size limit do anything to help??

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,166 ✭✭✭✭Zzippy

Good idea to be honest. A slot limit is commonly used in management of many sport fishing species in the USA, so for instance you could take bass between 40-50cm, but no fish smaller or larger than that size. It would protect juvenile fish who haven't yet spawned, and the larger fish that produce the most eggs.
    I would like to see a minimum size of 45 cm introduced as part of that - bass don't spawn until they reach 43cm on average, so a 45cm limit gives every fish a chance to spawn at least once.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34,809 ✭✭✭✭smash

The older fish don't spawn as much as the younger fish anyway so no point in bringing in a less than size limit.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,166 ✭✭✭✭Zzippy

smash wrote: »
    The older fish don't spawn as much as the younger fish anyway so no point in bringing in a less than size limit.

Have you got a link for that? I've hear that mentioned a few times but never seen any published evidence to back it up.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34,809 ✭✭✭✭smash

Zzippy wrote: »
    Have you got a link for that? I've hear that mentioned a few times but never seen any published evidence to back it up.
    Did a course With Jim Hendrick (http://www.probassfisher.com/) And was asking him about it.

Advertisement