Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Did the student dest pull a fast one on me today?

Options
  • 13-10-2011 10:52pm
    Registered Users Posts: 111 ✭✭

So i get an email from my county council saying my maintenance cheque was posted on the 7th to UCD, so headed up today, took a ticket and on my turn the guy looked at my account and said i was only partially registered (i hadn't paid that 158 levy fee) and my cheque wasnt in the building, would only be brought 'down from the safe' when i paid that fee, may even be there tomorrow.

Now i know from experience that all those cheques are in envelopes in the pigeon holes. He simply wouldnt give me my cheque until i paid that levy which is fine, but why couldnt he say go to a computer and pay it now, come back to me and i will see the payment on my computer and give you your cheque?!!!.

He didnt even look. Unless someone else has had something similar happen, is there a new system where ucd email you and tell you your cheque is available for collection?

Comments

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 8,490 Mod ✭✭✭✭Fluorescence

Just pay your levy and you'll have your cheque in your hand tomorrow.

What's the issue?

• Registered Users Posts: 111 ✭✭pseudo_23

the the thing, i paid it 5 minutes later, why couldnt he just say if you go pay that now at a computer, ill give you your cheque when you get back?. i'm out on placement in the shticks right now and had to drive up to be told that......

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 8,490 Mod ✭✭✭✭Fluorescence

Did you ask him if you could get the cheque after you paid it online there and then?

no i was so enraged having driven all the way up, i bought his story about this locked safe with the cheques in it and plodded out. He didnt even check anyways

• Registered Users Posts: 57 ✭✭Greensout

Can u really blame anyone then when you didnt ask such a straight forward question?

• Advertisement

im asking for other peoples experiences in getting their cheques, thats all so put your claws away

• Registered Users Posts: 889 ✭✭✭stop

T and K are so far away from each other.

• Registered Users Posts: 934 ✭✭✭OneOfThem Stumbled

You were supposed to pay that €158 over a month ago (or at least €79 of it).

Or if you didn't pass the means test you were supposed to pay another €2000 on top of that.

Or if you didn't pass the free-fees test, another €4000 on top of that.

Or if you didn't pass the European test, another €12000 on top of that.

However, if you paid that €79 by credit card you should have still have gotten your grant immediately.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,289 ✭✭✭parker kent

In no way did they "pull a fast one". The rules are there and you will have been informed of them (i.e you should have paid that before the deadline as everybody is told every year). He was just enforcing the rules. You hadn't paid the levy so he can't give you the cheque. How does he know that somebody rocking up in mid-October without paying the levy actually has any intention to attend college? Only fully registered students get the cheque, it is simple.

Since you didn't ask if he could give you the cheque after you paid at least half the levy, well he is not a mind reader.

Also, unless your "experience" involves actually working behind the desk, I wouldn't really take your account of every single cheque (including those of students not fully registered) being in a pigeon hole as accurate.

Advertisement