Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Whats your favourite hip hop album of all time?

• 13-10-2011 10:53pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,342 ✭✭✭

I couldn't find a thread for this so thought i'd be the first to start it.
    You can only pick one album and thats it.
    My favourite would have to be Illmatic by Nas.
    It was his first and best album by far and just had track after track of greatness.
    Feel free to post away.
    Please no 50 v game arguments or tupac v biggie or vanilla ice versus mc hammer:D:D

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,970 ✭✭✭mufcboy1999

I couldn't give you my number 1 of all time because I dont have one.

But I have favorites mostly the usual suspects in illmatic, ready to die, doggystyle, chronic and 2001, me against the world, 36 chambers Marshall mathers lp, get rich or die tryin etc etc there's loads more i could mention.

I defiantly couldn't pick a number 1 though.:)

S*it I just coped there you said only 1 album!! ah i cant pick man!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,213 ✭✭✭PrettyBoy

Illmatic is flawless IMO, the perfect hip-hop album.

Not sure if it's my favourite album of all time but I'm going to go with it for now...might change my mind tomorrow :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,048 ✭✭✭Da Shins Kelly

Toss up between Illmatic and The Score by The Fugees.

• Registered Users Posts: 532 ✭✭✭Mickolution

Illmatic for me. Was a toss-up between that and Liquid Swords, but there are a couple of tracks on there I'm not mad on (Labels, for one), whereas Illmatic is flawless.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,342 ✭✭✭Bobby Baccala

Toss up between Illmatic and The Score by The Fugees.

What an album.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28 zx complex

Jam on Revenge- Newcleus 1983
    LL Cool J- Bigger and Deffer 1986
    Run Dmc- Raising Hell 1986

Always count on the classics lads.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,255 ✭✭✭HalloweenJack

So many classics but one I always go back to is Aquemini. It's just an amazing album from start to finish. Listened to it earlier on today, it's still a cracker.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,074 ✭✭✭MoyVilla9

Me Against The World is up there, but I'd go for Illmatic myself. People think you are copping out if you name the usual suspects but there really isn't a stronger album around.

• Registered Users Posts: 183 ✭✭PTO

Rza as Bobby Digital (in stereo)

Used to be a big fan of rap and hip hop as a kid. Completely off it now but I still love and listen to this!! Brilliant album!

• Registered Users Posts: 35 fullysooted

Living Legends - Almost Famous
    MF Doom / Madlib - Madvillainy
    Cannibal Ox - The Cold Vein

Couple of my fav's personally, if you haven't heard of them, I highly reccomend all 3...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,301 ✭✭✭Flesh Gorden

spotted this thread on the main page a few hours ago

Critical Beatdown - Ultramagnetic Mcs

Found it while looking into what samples Liam Howlett had used on various Prodigy songs, played it to death since

• Registered Users Posts: 158 ✭✭Liquidswords

<<<

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,300 ✭✭✭✭Seaneh

illmatic.

Dude was what, 21 when it dropped and 19 when he recorded most of the tracks on the album.
    Mind boggling.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,051 ✭✭✭winston82

Chronic 2001.

Sh1t was tight, Yo.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,556 ✭✭✭Nolanger

Main source - Splitting atoms.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,573 ✭✭✭pragmatic1

Cypress Hill black Sunday or 36 chambers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 kevinbreslin

Doom and Jay-z probably the best rappers out there but I'd have to go with Illmatic. Couple of contenders tho; enter the 36 chambers, takes a nation of millions to hold us back, champion sound, blueprint, striahgt outa compton

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,342 ✭✭✭Bobby Baccala

Doom and Jay-z probably the best rappers out there but I'd have to go with Illmatic. Couple of contenders tho; enter the 36 chambers, takes a nation of millions to hold us back, champion sound, blueprint, striahgt outa compton

1?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,416 ✭✭✭Jimmy Iovine

Illmatic will crop up so many times I'm not gonna bother mentioning it again. It's nearly flawless though.

Endtroducing.... - it's different to every other album above this post I think but it's pure quality from start to finish.

Fishscale - Ghostface Killah was on form on this album. Could listen to this all day long. Features the only song I know of that has all 9 members of the Wu Tang Clan on it as well.

Finally Big Boi's "Sir Lucious Left Foot" is probably my favourite of all. Could listen to this album all year long. Everything about it is of the highest quality.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,432 ✭✭✭weemcd

Ready to Die

Honourable mentions - Illmatic, Liquid Swords, College Dropout and 36 chambers, they would probably make up my top 5. B.I is out in front though

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,447 ✭✭✭evil_seed

+1 on Aquemini. If I'm in doubt as to what to listen to it's my go to

• Registered Users Posts: 266 ✭✭HATCHET IRL

Brother Ali-Shadows on the sun..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 492 ✭✭Sl!mCharles

Not very original perhaps but 36 Chambers probably. Only listened to it for the first time over the summer (:O !) but its fast become my favourite HipHop album. That said, I have yet to delve deeper into the world of hiphop!

Its really enjoyable when listened to from top to bottom, a very cohesive sum of (fantastic) parts IMO. I love RZAs production in particular. Sounds like its being played on an old cassette player or something!

PEACE

• Closed Accounts Posts: 38 Micklaus

Masta Ace- Disposable Arts.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 878 ✭✭✭JohnFalstaff

Seeing as it's favourite album I'm gonna go for Bizarre Ride II the Pharcyde

• Closed Accounts Posts: 55 ✭✭clig

Gravediggaz - 6 Feet Deep is amazing. The lyrics are funny and acidic at times and the beats are fantastic, just a great album

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,725 ✭✭✭charlemont

clig wrote: »
    Gravediggaz - 6 Feet Deep is amazing. The lyrics are funny and acidic at times and the beats are fantastic, just a great album

That's one of my favourite too.

My all time favourite is 36 Chambers as I bought it in 94 and it was so raw, Liquid Swords come a close second.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 565 ✭✭✭bigwormbundoran

I used to listen to Hip Hop way more than anything else, but over the past 2-3 years ive drifted away to almost listening to virtually none whatsoever. Whilst I agree with most of the posts above, my favourite, at the moment, and for the past couple of years anyway is Moment of Truth by Gang Starr. (Dont know if it will be a Bret Hart best there is, best there was, best there ever will be to me)

I just love basically everything about it, not one song on it springs to mind that I would skip through, and aside from some Tribe and De la Soul, its about the only Hip Hop I've really listened to in the past year so it wins by default in that sense I suppose!

ZGangStarrMmnt.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,933 ✭✭✭holystungun9

Sun rises in the east by Jeru da damaja

36 chambers

Liquid Swordz

Hard to Earn

Ready to die

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,997 ✭✭✭Shapey Fiend

The Assassin - Lights, Camera, Assassin.

Advertisement