Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

clarity on some issues

Options
  • 13-10-2011 11:37pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,400 ✭✭✭

alri folks jus have a few questions i just want to be sure about,

bonding in a house

10 sq to earth rod,

10sq loop between the gas meter, incomin pipe + outgoing pipe??

is it a seperate 10 sq earth to gas, water, boiler and hotpress????

if the gas and water pipes under the stairs are right beside each other can they be looped,

if the gas boiler is located in a press in the kitchen does it have to be looped with 2.5 sq from the same earth as the metal sink,

bathroom

lighting in the bathroom, wall mounted shaver light plus extractor fan on dedicated circuit protected by dedicated 10A mcb?

db

jus double checking whats the minimum and maximum height of the db again?

kitchen

built in microwave mounted at 1800mm, does this require a seperate isolator switch like the the sockets below the counter?

and is it true that the fridge has to be on its own 20A circuit with its own isolator switch????

cheers in advance

stephen

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,431 ✭✭✭M cebee

not familiar with gas

main bonding can be looped between different services if it's unbroken afaik

distribution board max height is 2250

if bottom is below 1400 there must be a key if memory serves

inaccessible sockets require isolating switch

i think the rule on separate rcd+socket or 13amp switched fcu relates to freezers only

• Registered Users Posts: 2,400 ✭✭✭evosteo

cheers for the reply mcebee

does the socket for an extractor fan for a cooker hood need one in your opinion?

also do you know what the minimum distance a socket or switch can be located to a sink draining board?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,745 ✭✭✭meercat

evosteo wrote: »
    cheers for the reply mcebee

does the socket for an extractor fan for a cooker hood need one in your opinion?

also do you know what the minimum distance a socket or switch can be located to a sink draining board?

the cooker hood requires an isolator if it cant be accessed readily
    cant find a distance specification on the sink switch/socket question though
    1metre would be the best but this is unlikely to happen(the best you would get is the length of the kettle lead)so you cant have contact with metal or water

does the isolator sw have to be located along the counter with everything else or can it be located to the left or right of the extractor fan, above the presses?

once its not obstruced???

im thinking along the lines of the isolator sw for a bathroom extractor fan,

iv seen them mounted everywhere, ceilings walls and above bathroom doors

does the isolator sw have to be located along the counter with everything else or can it be located to the left or right of the extractor fan, above the presses?

once its not obstruced???

im thinking along the lines of the isolator sw for a bathroom extractor fan,

iv seen them mounted everywhere, ceilings walls and above bathroom doors

had this out with my inspector and he says switches for permanently connected appliances must be located between 400mm and 1200mm

i think it will get to a stage where there will be an emergency stop button required to shut down all power to the kitchen(as in commercial installations)
    this will prevent the situation where you may require isolators for
    washing machine
    tumble dryer
    dishwasher
    extractor fan
    microwave
    fridge

• Advertisement

meercat wrote: »
    had this out with my inspector and he says switches for permanently connected appliances must be located between 400mm and 1200mm

i think it will get to a stage where there will be an emergency stop button required to shut down all power to the kitchen(as in commercial installations)
    this will prevent the situation where you may require isolators for
    washing machine
    tumble dryer
    dishwasher
    extractor fan
    microwave
    fridge

are all the isolator switches in the kitchen to be labeled??

• Registered Users Posts: 146 ✭✭BMD

can someone point me towards the document that states isolation switches are required for inaccessible sockets

are all the isolator switches in the kitchen to be labeled??

bmd
    "can someone point me towards the document that states isolation switches are required for inaccessible sockets"

socket outlets that are not readily accessible must be provided with a clearly labelled double pole switch,rated 20amp,in an accessible position e.g. on the wall above the work top
    (554.3.5)

Advertisement