Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Square foot gardening

Options
  • 13-10-2011 11:52pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,598 ✭✭✭

Hi Folks,

Just wondering if any of you have tried this method and how did you fare?

I'm planning on giving a shot early next year (hopefully I've recovered a bit from my broken ankle by then).

I did see an older post regarding the soil to be used in this system and know there's a particular pre mixed brand for this, does anyone know if this is sold in Ireland?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 747 ✭✭✭littleredspot

Hi, I read up a bit on it and then tried to incorporate some of the principles into 2 raised beds earlier this year.

The mix I used was 1/3 multipurpose compost, 1/3 peat moss and 1/3 vermiculite. This isn't particularly environmently friendly due to the amount of peat. It's also expensive, but as I was building them on a roof I had to buy everything anyway.

The results were/are great, everything I planted grew well with minimum watering and care. (except basil seeds, but hey)

I used the planting grid you can find on-line, i will be a bit more careful next year of what I plant beside what e.g. the rhubarb overshadowed the carrots.

On a purely aesthetic note, the variety of planting looks great too!

• Registered Users Posts: 325 ✭✭igorbiscan

Hi,I used this method,although not a very scientific approach,build the raised bed with offcut timbers (€15),got a friend to get me a trailer of topsoil(free:D) added a couple of bags of farmyard manure and compost.Dug it all in,applied the grid (ribbon and tacks).Worked a treat.Had onions,peas,lettuce,spuds,beans,scallions,strawberries,n a few other bits,most were a great success except for the berries.
    Have leeks,sprouts and turnips in there for the winter veg,and the strawberries will hopefully come on a bit next year.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,495 ✭✭✭touts

I tried it and on balance it was a success. Great crops of carrots parsnips beetroot and onions.the problem comes with some crops overpowering others. I wont use it again for broccli. I only got 4 or 5 good heads and it overpowered a neighboring crop of onions. Also parsnips have big leaves and go so deep I really struggled to get them up without disturbing the crops around them. But on balance it was a success.

Advertisement