Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Eircom broadband is a joke!!!

Options
  • 14-10-2011 12:12am
    Registered Users Posts: 123 ✭✭

I have been with eircom on NGB for a while. I am on the 8mb deal and I get 512kb if Im lucky. I have called them up they say I am too far from the hub. They increased my line to 1mb. Before the change over I was getting 1mb. That stayed like that for a few weeks then dropped back to 512kb again. So I called up eircom again and the exact same happened. Its like I have to keep after them to keep me up at 1mb or they will drop me right back again. According to the map for NGB I am covered. Although as they say just about. Im half a mile inside the covered area. I think its a joke what speed Im getting here to be honest. They have no problem charging for 8mb NGB. But seem to have a major problem in delivering the product.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,138 ✭✭✭eircom: Ant

spankalish wrote: »
    I have been with eircom on NGB for a while. I am on the 8mb deal and I get 512kb if Im lucky. I have called them up they say I am too far from the hub. They increased my line to 1mb. Before the change over I was getting 1mb. That stayed like that for a few weeks then dropped back to 512kb again. So I called up eircom again and the exact same happened. Its like I have to keep after them to keep me up at 1mb or they will drop me right back again. According to the map for NGB I am covered. Although as they say just about. Im half a mile inside the covered area. I think its a joke what speed Im getting here to be honest. They have no problem charging for 8mb NGB. But seem to have a major problem in delivering the product.

Hi spankalish,

Thanks for posting on the eircom Forum on Boards.

I appreciate how you feel and I won't pretend it's ideal. Honestly, we would love to increase your signal up to the full 8Mb on *NGB. Obviously the Technical team and engineers have decided you're phoneline won't handle a higher speed that 1Mb.

As you ooint out, you probably know you're in an amber region (or atleast 2.5KM from the local telephone exchange). This is sometimes graded as Extended reach. It can be difficult to even provide a broaband signal over fixed line on even Extended reach 1 and 2. It depends on the situation and there is no guarantee of getting Adsl fixed broadband delivered even on a non-extended reach phone line. In fact, most providers won't even consider any Extended reach customer at all.

I personally have managed to get an Extended reach 6 customer (5KM away from exchange) on a 2Mb sync download. It took alot of time, patience and assistance on the customer's side, but we managed it after some painstaking troubleshooting and testing. (Which was fair play to him). I have also tried to help customer's on Extended reach 1 (2.5KM) and achieved only 256Kb and low attainable rates; Some customers just blanket refused or ignored advice, so it was impossible to assist them. Generally though, we finally manage to convince a customer of the benefits of customizing their setup slightly and can manage to get the customer speeds of between 2 - 3Mb, again this does require assistance on the customer's side. I've no guarantee this will improve your connection, though in almost all cases I've dealt with over many years, this has always improved their broadband connection overall. Please note that the *NGB signal is by far an an improved /or offer a stronger frequency. This may have exposed a weak internal phone connection. Please see further notes on *NGB at the bottom of this text.

The simpliest advice I would give is to test the modem directly on the Master Phone Socket (MDP). This is quite easy, though it can be quite daunting to actually do this in cases.
    Technical Support have set out some points below, if you wish to just check them. Otherwise you will need further Technical assistance from a Technician or Broadband Support.

*Note: Not all of the following steps may be necessary. Test your connection after each step to see if the issue is resolved.

Before testing your Broadband Speed, it is important to locate the Main Phone Point (MDP) in your house**. (**The MDP (Master phone Socket) is usually found just inside the hallway or front of your house; or the first point of entry for the phoneline to the premises)

* Disconnect everything from the phone line: phones, fax machine, Sky Digital TV, or any other equipment connected to the phone line which may interfere with the broadband connection.(Private long extension - phoneleads, electric equipment which may interfer with the phoneline). Remove the splitter and connect the modem directly to the main phone socket. Test the connection speed again.

* Test your modem speed with just one single Computer /PC). All other PC's should be shut down temporarily while testing i.e : Computers /laptops /smartPhones /wireless equipment including Games Consoles: (Xbox(s), Playstation(s), etc.

Are you connecting wirelessly? http://bit.ly/WirelessCheck

* If you are using wireless to connect to the internet, connect your computer to the modem with the yellow ethernet cable if possible. This would eliminate any wireless related problems which may affect your connection speed.

If you still have problems with your connection after performing the above steps you will need to contact eircom Technical Support directly. One of eircom's Support Professionals can guide you or assist you by escalating to a eircom engineer for an onsite call out.

Broadband Technical Support : 1890 260260 (lowcall); Hours : 08:00 - 22:00 (7 days).

Kind regards,
    Ant

*NGB (Next Generation Broadband) allows for uncongested and consistent usage (downloads) even during peak times. NGB is also a FREE upgrade up to *8Mb (or up to*24Mb in cases) dependent on what your broadband phoneline pre-qualifies for.

ADSL itself is rate adaptive technology, which means that your broadband connection speed is governed by the distance from your premises to the exchange.. Upgrading to NGB won't change the distance (or what your broadband connection pre-qualifies for). Please see www.ngb.ie for more information.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,683 ✭✭✭Carpenter

Hi
    I got a call from eircom telling me that my line could take up to 10mb and would I consider moving back with them so I said send me an e-mail stating I would get more than 6mb and I would think about it no problem I was told the e-mail is on the way and what do you know no e-mail so eircom do a lot of talking and very little action if you ask me :P

Carpenter wrote: »
    Hi
    I got a call from eircom telling me that my line could take up to 10mb and would I consider moving back with them so I said send me an e-mail stating I would get more than 6mb and I would think about it no problem I was told the e-mail is on the way and what do you know no e-mail so eircom do a lot of talking and very little action if you ask me :P

Hi Carpenter,

If you PM your home phone number, I can check this. I will also confirm what possible broadband options your phoneline pre-qualifies for.

You can also do this online yourself if you like by simply going to our Broadband and Product Availability Check - Website :-

http://www.eircom.net/broadband/

Let me know if I can help further,

Regards,
    Ant

• Registered Users Posts: 123 ✭✭spankalish

Hi spankalish,

I appreciate how you feel and I won't pretend it's ideal. Honestly, we would love to increase your signal up to the full 8Mb on *NGB. Obviously the Technical team and engineers have decided you're phoneline won't handle a higher speed that 1Mb.

As you ooint out, you probably know you're in an amber region (or atleast 2.5KM from the local telephone exchange). This is sometimes graded as Extended reach. It can be difficult to even provide a broaband signal over fixed line on even Extended reach 1 and 2. It depends on the situation and there is no guarantee of getting Adsl fixed broadband delivered even on a non-extended reach phone line. In fact, most providers won't even consider any Extended reach customer at all.

I personally have managed to get an Extended reach 6 customer (5KM away from exchange) on a 2Mb sync download. It took alot of time, patience and assistance on the customer's side, but we managed it after some painstaking troubleshooting and testing. (Which was fair play to him). I have also tried to help customer's on Extended reach 1 (2.5KM) and achieved only 256Kb and low attainable rates; Some customers just blanket refused or ignored advice, so it was impossible to assist them. Generally though, we finally manage to convince a customer of the benefits of customizing their setup slightly and can manage to get the customer speeds of between 2 - 3Mb, again this does require assistance on the customer's side. I've no guarantee this will improve your connection, though in almost all cases I've dealt with over many years, this has always improved their broadband connection overall. Please note that the *NGB signal is by far an an improved /or offer a stronger frequency. This may have exposed a weak internal phone connection. Please see further notes on *NGB at the bottom of this text.

The simpliest advice I would give is to test the modem directly on the Master Phone Socket (MDP). This is quite easy, though it can be quite daunting to actually do this in cases.
    Technical Support have set out some points below, if you wish to just check them. Otherwise you will need further Technical assistance from a Technician or Broadband Support.

*Note: Not all of the following steps may be necessary. Test your connection after each step to see if the issue is resolved.

Before testing your Broadband Speed, it is important to locate the Main Phone Point (MDP) in your house**. (**The MDP (Master phone Socket) is usually found just inside the hallway or front of your house; or the first point of entry for the phoneline to the premises)

* Disconnect everything from the phone line: phones, fax machine, Sky Digital TV, or any other equipment connected to the phone line which may interfere with the broadband connection.(Private long extension - phoneleads, electric equipment which may interfer with the phoneline). Remove the splitter and connect the modem directly to the main phone socket. Test the connection speed again.

* Test your modem speed with just one single Computer /PC). All other PC's should be shut down temporarily while testing i.e : Computers /laptops /smartPhones /wireless equipment including Games Consoles: (Xbox(s), Playstation(s), etc.

Are you connecting wirelessly? http://bit.ly/WirelessCheck

* If you are using wireless to connect to the internet, connect your computer to the modem with the yellow ethernet cable if possible. This would eliminate any wireless related problems which may affect your connection speed.

If you still have problems with your connection after performing the above steps you will need to contact eircom Technical Support directly. One of eircom's Support Professionals can guide you or assist you by escalating to a eircom engineer for an onsite call out.

Broadband Technical Support : 1890 260260 (lowcall); Hours : 08:00 - 22:00 (7 days).

Kind regards,
    Ant

*NGB (Next Generation Broadband) allows for uncongested and consistent usage (downloads) even during peak times. NGB is also a FREE upgrade up to *8Mb (or up to*24Mb in cases) dependent on what your broadband phoneline pre-qualifies for.

ADSL itself is rate adaptive technology, which means that your broadband connection speed is governed by the distance from your premises to the exchange.. Upgrading to NGB won't change the distance (or what your broadband connection pre-qualifies for). Please see www.ngb.ie for more information.

I have already done all this since I was onto eircom already. They sent out 2 new free splitter's. I connected them and my internet was at 1mb it has never been any faster then 1.25mb. But is at 512kb more often then anything else. I am approximately 5 miles from claremorris. So Im guessing that is too far to get any right speed. Might just try and go wireless with some1 else. Iv used 3 mobile broadband and can get an average of 2mb which Im pretty happy with. Ideally Id like to get around 3mb but I can't see that happening from where I am located. It's just the NGB let me down. I felt it would be better than the normal 1mb broadband that I had. But its no different if not worse than what it was.

spankalish wrote: »
    I have already done all this since I was onto eircom already. They sent out 2 new free splitter's. I connected them and my internet was at 1mb it has never been any faster then 1.25mb. But is at 512kb more often then anything else. I am approximately 5 miles from claremorris. So Im guessing that is too far to get any right speed. Might just try and go wireless with some1 else. Iv used 3 mobile broadband and can get an average of 2mb which Im pretty happy with. Ideally Id like to get around 3mb but I can't see that happening from where I am located. It's just the NGB let me down. I felt it would be better than the normal 1mb broadband that I had. But its no different if not worse than what it was.

Thanks spankalish,

As suggested, if you need further technical assistance, please call directly into Technical Support, so they can confirm if this requires an escalation /and or further action by an eircom engineer.

Kind regards,
    Ant

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 98 ✭✭IrishPsychic

Im fed up...

It used to be perfect but in the last 3 months its gone ridiculus after a call last night to Eircom ooooo it might be your Laptop thats causing the issue as Im pinging it from here and it is perfect...Its a bran new laptop why would it be? Also when it is plugged in DIRECTLY VIA ETHERNET I thought its supposed to be CONSTANT SPEED UNCONGESTED!!! Im posting this now at 1.30AM!!!

I will be cutting it off completely as why pay for 8mb when in fact its useless...

I go to my cousins house and I see 30mb UPC Im like its 2011 and Im lucky to get 2mb EIRCOM Its a joke!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,226 ✭✭✭eircom: Tony

Im fed up...

It used to be perfect but in the last 3 months its gone ridiculus after a call last night to Eircom ooooo it might be your Laptop thats causing the issue as Im pinging it from here and it is perfect...Its a bran new laptop why would it be? Also when it is plugged in DIRECTLY VIA ETHERNET I thought its supposed to be CONSTANT SPEED UNCONGESTED!!! Im posting this now at 1.30AM!!!

I will be cutting it off completely as why pay for 8mb when in fact its useless...

I go to my cousins house and I see 30mb UPC Im like its 2011 and Im lucky to get 2mb EIRCOM Its a joke!!!

Hi IrishPsychic
    if you PM me your line number I can have this tested for you. If you were receiving good speeds just 3 months ago there is obviously an issue there and we should be able to resolve this for you.
    Tony

• Registered Users Posts: 98 ✭✭IrishPsychic

Hi IrishPsychic
    if you PM me your line number I can have this tested for you. If you were receiving good speeds just 3 months ago there is obviously an issue there and we should be able to resolve this for you.
    Tony

Thanks so much for getting back to me Tony,
    I plugged out the phone line in the bedroom and it went straight back up to using WI FI 6MB PING 47 UPLOAD 0.42 It seems it was the old filter or it went a bit wonky, The line is put down for 7Mb it was supposed to be 8mb but they reduced it to 7Mb to stop drop outs so I think its all back to normal now so far so good :)

• Registered Users Posts: 15 scomp1

Hi
    I have had eircom for quite a few years now and it never has been good. First of all I had a 3mb line and that was grand but after the release of ngb my speed has decreased even though I was sent a letter that it would be increased to 8 mb. My speed went down to 2mb which left me quite frustrated and now it is down to nearly 1.5mb. I am really annoyed over this and I would like to know what is going on.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,441 ✭✭✭eircom: Mark

scomp1 wrote: »
    Hi
    I have had eircom for quite a few years now and it never has been good. First of all I had a 3mb line and that was grand but after the release of ngb my speed has decreased even though I was sent a letter that it would be increased to 8 mb. My speed went down to 2mb which left me quite frustrated and now it is down to nearly 1.5mb. I am really annoyed over this and I would like to know what is going on.

Hi scomp1,

If you PM me with your telephone number I can look into the speeds since you were moved to NGB.

Thanks, Mark

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3 siobhan mcgee

Thanks spankalish,

As suggested, if you need further technical assistance, please call directly into Technical Support, so they can confirm if this requires an escalation /and or further action by an eircom engineer.

Kind regards,
    Ant[/QUOTE hello I only signed up to eircom brodband 9 days ago and I was fed a lode of lies by the guy who called to my door who worked for eircom..one of the lies he told me was I can opt out of the contract at any time ..but when I called I was told I signed a 12 month contract ..and pritty much called a lier when I told the girl I was told by this guy from eircom who called to my house that I can cancle at any time.now want to do that because I am moving house on April 1st ..which I didnt no at the time I signed up. so where does this leave me now ??

Hi

Hi scomp1,

I got your DM with your details thanks. The tests are showing a possible issue so I have escalated the issue through broadband techncal support and I will get back to you when I have an update.

Thanks, Mark

Thanks spankalish,

Kind regards,
    Ant[/QUOTE hello I only signed up to eircom brodband 9 days ago and I was fed a lode of lies by the guy who called to my door who worked for eircom..one of the lies he told me was I can opt out of the contract at any time ..but when I called I was told I signed a 12 month contract ..and pritty much called a lier when I told the girl I was told by this guy from eircom who called to my house that I can cancle at any time.now want to do that because I am moving house on April 1st ..which I didnt no at the time I signed up. so where does this leave me now ??

Hi Siobhan,

i will need to look into the account and order form submited by the agent. If you can private message me with your eircom account number or telephone number I will look into that for you.

Thanks, Mark

Thanks very much Mark. I get 7mb now and I'm delighted. Thank you very much for your help.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,502 ✭✭✭touts

I recently had a problem with my Eircom Router. It was 3-4 years old (silver one with two aerials) and suddenly stopped connecting to the internet. Prior to that the internet was excellent and over 5-6Mbs any time I checked it (not that I had to very often as the speed was good).

After raising the issue with Eircom and 5-6 calls to the help desk and having an engineer call out it was confirmed as a problem with the router and not the line itself. So I purchased a new router from Eircom costing just over €50. It arrived (a black one with one aerial) and I installed and tested it to get just over 6mbs. Happy days. Or so I thought.

I noticed the internet was seriously slow a few days later but didn't have time to check it. Then I arrived home and had to take a work conference call on Skype. The line quality was awful. After opting off the call I checked the speed to find 0.2mbs. I immediately phoned the help desk and was initially told the problem may be related to having a phone close to the router which is ridiculous considering that both work off the same phone line so of course they are going to be in the same vicinity. I was then told that this new router needs to be restarted regularly. Restarted it and it went straight back up to 6mbs and Skype etc worked fine. But it didn't last. By the end of the day it was down to 2Mbs. By the following day 0.5mbs.

I now have to restart the router at least once every day in order to have any sort of decent connection. I'm told on another thread in the broadband forum that this is a common problem with the latest eircom router.

I'm really disappointed with what had previously been a good service and the shambolic official solution of turning on and off the router every time I want to use it for something more than browsing text pages.

I'm now looking into alternative providers. The only good thing is I opted to pay for the router rather than enter the 12 month contract required for a new one. I will however be contacting Eircom to demand a refund for the piece of junk they sold me. I won't be holding my breath.

Thanks very much Mark. I get 7mb now and I'm delighted. Thank you very much for your help.

Hi scomp1,

No problem, Glad to hear it ;) I will follow up with you on Friday to insure everything is ok.

Thanks, Mark

touts wrote: »
    I recently had a problem with my Eircom Router. It was 3-4 years old (silver one with two aerials) and suddenly stopped connecting to the internet. Prior to that the internet was excellent and over 5-6Mbs any time I checked it (not that I had to very often as the speed was good).

After raising the issue with Eircom and 5-6 calls to the help desk and having an engineer call out it was confirmed as a problem with the router and not the line itself. So I purchased a new router from Eircom costing just over €50. It arrived (a black one with one aerial) and I installed and tested it to get just over 6mbs. Happy days. Or so I thought.

I noticed the internet was seriously slow a few days later but didn't have time to check it. Then I arrived home and had to take a work conference call on Skype. The line quality was awful. After opting off the call I checked the speed to find 0.2mbs. I immediately phoned the help desk and was initially told the problem may be related to having a phone close to the router which is ridiculous considering that both work off the same phone line so of course they are going to be in the same vicinity. I was then told that this new router needs to be restarted regularly. Restarted it and it went straight back up to 6mbs and Skype etc worked fine. But it didn't last. By the end of the day it was down to 2Mbs. By the following day 0.5mbs.

I now have to restart the router at least once every day in order to have any sort of decent connection. I'm told on another thread in the broadband forum that this is a common problem with the latest eircom router.

I'm really disappointed with what had previously been a good service and the shambolic official solution of turning on and off the router every time I want to use it for something more than browsing text pages.

I'm now looking into alternative providers. The only good thing is I opted to pay for the router rather than enter the 12 month contract required for a new one. I will however be contacting Eircom to demand a refund for the piece of junk they sold me. I won't be holding my breath.

Hi touts,

Can you PM with your telephone number and I can look into your connection since the new router was sent out.

Thanks, Mark

touts wrote: »

Hi touts,

I got your details thanks I will look into it and get back to you in a few days.

Thanks, Mark

• Registered Users Posts: 28 hey its me

I have been a loyal customer for Eircom for years but its getting to the stage where im going to move, my internet keep knocking off with the internet light going red as seen in picture attached, its not suppose to be uncogested but its happends more between 6pm and midnight. Even trying to write this email it happened twice which shows how annoying it can get and it could be gone for a few minutes at a time and happen up to 30 times a day. I contacted Eircom on boards before and was told it was pretty much my problem and nothing to do with them. I know people on upc and asked them do they have the same problem but they don't.

hey its me wrote: »
    I have been a loyal customer for Eircom for years but its getting to the stage where im going to move, my internet keep knocking off with the internet light going red as seen in picture attached, its not suppose to be uncogested but its happends more between 6pm and midnight. Even trying to write this email it happened twice which shows how annoying it can get and it could be gone for a few minutes at a time and happen up to 30 times a day. I contacted Eircom on boards before and was told it was pretty much my problem and nothing to do with them. I know people on upc and asked them do they have the same problem but they don't.

Hi hey its me,

Can you private message me with your telephone number so I can run a few checks on the line and check the connection history.

Thanks, Mark

• Advertisement

Hi scomp1,

Just checking the speed has been stable since it was increased?

Thanks, Mark

• Registered Users Posts: 4 aisling:)

I am a new eircom customer. Unfortunately.
    My internet speed is terrible, but my problem is that it changed in a week. Signed up, thought 1mb was better than nothing
    I have up to 1mb internet and all last week I consistently had speeds of only .83 (I did drop down to .79). I rang up to change my connection to 3mbs, but I was told it would not work that it would probably work the opposite and slow me down.
    I accepted my slow speed and I was able to still use my internet. I think it was because it was consistently the same.
    Now my speed is only between .20 and .40. (although, if I am doing anything online it goes to .1). My connection keeps dropping out and I keep losing the internet connection. Nothing has changed since we got eircom. I have tried to plug my internet connection straight into the main line, instead of splitting it with the landline, and found no difference.
    Can anyone tell me what the fault is, and how to fix it. I dont think speeds of .2 are acceptable for internet usage, and I don't think that anybody would be happy with this speed. It annoys me that it changed from the start of the week. I tried to log a fault online, but it failed 7 times!! Broken link and error problems.

aisling:) wrote: »
    I am a new eircom customer. Unfortunately.
    My internet speed is terrible, but my problem is that it changed in a week. Signed up, thought 1mb was better than nothing
    I have up to 1mb internet and all last week I consistently had speeds of only .83 (I did drop down to .79). I rang up to change my connection to 3mbs, but I was told it would not work that it would probably work the opposite and slow me down.
    I accepted my slow speed and I was able to still use my internet. I think it was because it was consistently the same.
    Now my speed is only between .20 and .40. (although, if I am doing anything online it goes to .1). My connection keeps dropping out and I keep losing the internet connection. Nothing has changed since we got eircom. I have tried to plug my internet connection straight into the main line, instead of splitting it with the landline, and found no difference.
    Can anyone tell me what the fault is, and how to fix it. I dont think speeds of .2 are acceptable for internet usage, and I don't think that anybody would be happy with this speed. It annoys me that it changed from the start of the week. I tried to log a fault online, but it failed 7 times!! Broken link and error problems.

Hi aisling:)

Can you PM me with the account or phone number please? I will then test the connection and see if we can do anything to improve the service from our end.

Cheers

James (Logged in as Mark)

Thanks for the PM, have gotten everything I need for now from that info.
    I have tested the broadband signal this morning and the stats look decent enough. Also checked the line for a fault and nothing showing on that side of things either. I will advise a couple of things to take into consideration when using the connection:
    • Make sure there is only one computer connected to the broadband when testing the speed
    • Plug the one computer directly into the modem with an ethernet cable
    • Make sure there are no downloads running in the background (things like torrent programs, anti-virus upgrades, any other programs that could be downloading updates or using the internet connection in any way)
    Once you have checked these basics, if the speed still doesn't improve then try this more detailed checklist: http://bit.ly/xhVSe8
    These steps improve connections in about 90% of cases. If you try the troubleshooting and there is still no change, then the next step would be to call technical support directly on 1890 260 260 (8am-10pm, 7 days). Keep the setup as per the checklist above when calling and this will greatly speed up the call. They can then decide if a new modem or a technician callout is required.

Regards

• Registered Users Posts: 4 aisling:)

Thanks.
    I have tried all that during the week which made no difference. One day I had .8, went to bed and then next was down to .3. Nothing has changed. Even with the cable with no splitter straight into the laptop there is no difference.

aisling:) wrote: »
    Thanks.
    I have tried all that during the week which made no difference. One day I had .8, went to bed and then next was down to .3. Nothing has changed. Even with the cable with no splitter straight into the laptop there is no difference.

Many thanks for completing the checks. I have looked into the connection again today and I can confirm that from our end the broadband is syncing at 1mb. This means we are providing the full 1mb but it's not arriving at your end. There was also an order placed today through our customer service channel for an upgrade to our 'up to 3mb' broadband. This will allow us to make some further changes once the order completes so I would recommend waiting until that goes through (should take no more than 24 hours) and then check the connection again. I will of course be on hand to help you with getting the most from it. I will check this thread for updates so if the connection doesn't improve for you let me know.

Regards

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 ramzess

hi,
    I have the same problem as "touts", my router has to be restarted at least once a day.
    I had two Zyxcel routers from eircom - same problem, so I have bought a Belkin router - but I'm having same problem.
    I have try many things, I have set up static IP on my router - same problem. Disabling firewall - same problem.
    The problem is that my devices (one laptop, PC and two iPhones) are connected to router (all of them are using Wi-Fi connection), wireless connection is active but no internet connection.
    I'm not getting any IP conflict.
    I was on phone with eircom broadband support, and the only way they can help me is to sent me new router - which I believe will not fix my problem.

My friend is using Zyxcel router with same problems in same area and he has been told by eircom broadband support to switch the router for the night and it does fix the problem he does not has to reset router during the day - but this kind of solution is not good for me.

thanks for any help.

ramzess wrote: »
    hi,
    I have the same problem as "touts", my router has to be restarted at least once a day.
    I had two Zyxcel routers from eircom - same problem, so I have bought a Belkin router - but I'm having same problem.
    I have try many things, I have set up static IP on my router - same problem. Disabling firewall - same problem.
    The problem is that my devices (one laptop, PC and two iPhones) are connected to router (all of them are using Wi-Fi connection), wireless connection is active but no internet connection.
    I'm not getting any IP conflict.
    I was on phone with eircom broadband support, and the only way they can help me is to sent me new router - which I believe will not fix my problem.

My friend is using Zyxcel router with same problems in same area and he has been told by eircom broadband support to switch the router for the night and it does fix the problem he does not has to reset router during the day - but this kind of solution is not good for me.

thanks for any help.

Hi ramzess,

Can you PM me with your eircom telephone number so I can run a few checks on the broadband connection / modem please.

Thanks, Mark

Hi
    My modem's wireless has broken and I was wondering if it can be repaired or can a new one be sent out.

• Advertisement

Hi
    My modem's wireless has broken and I was wondering if it can be repaired or can a new one be sent out.

Hi socmp1,

Thank you for your post.

If your eircom wireless modem is phyically broken, take a look at the following modem replacement options on the eircom Forum :

Modem Replacement Options

If the modem is not physically damaged, then maybe try some quick troubleshooting suggestions (outlined below). In many cases the modem itself is not the source of your broadband connection issue.

Broadband Check

Try to identify is this is not just a local wireless signal issue, rather than a broadband sync or connection issue.

To do this, connect your computer to the modem with the yellow ethernet cable if possible. This would eliminate any wireless related problems which may affect your connection speed.

Disconnect everything from the phone line: phones, fax machine, Sky Digital TV, or any other equipment connected to the phone line which may interfere with the broadband connection. Remove the splitter and connect the modem directly to the main phone socket. Avoid using any private or long telephone cable leads and just use the equipment that initially came with your eircom wireless modem.

Once you have established the source of this and if you are still experiencing connection issues, please contact Technical Support directly. They will need to run some quick tests with you on the phone, and may need to advise further if this issue is to be escalated.

Broadband Technical Support : 1890 260260 (locall); Hours : 08:00 - 22:00 (7 days).

Please retain your case id /reference from Technical Support, as this will speed up your call and help if you need to follow this up. Alternatively, let me know your case id and I will follow this up with Technical Support.

Best wishes,
    Ant

Advertisement