Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Eircom broadband is a joke!!!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 15 scomp1

Hi I checked the website and I am a bit unsure what to do.
    My wireless has definitely broken and I have tried everything to fix it. Occasionally it works but it cuts out and the range is terrible. I was wondering how to get a new one sent out. The modem is very annoying and I hope you can help me

• Registered Users Posts: 1 Greenie77

Hi, I would like to sign up with eirecom for broadband but was wondering if you could tell me what speed is available to me ?? and how far from the exchange i am ?? i live in doctors road ballyhaunis i will PM you my phone number if this helps ;) am i going to get anywhere near the 8mb that the website says is achievable ?? i am not really looking for high download speed just a stable connection without high latency !! i am with 3g at the moment and the speed for me is very good but i regularly ping at 300-400 to Galway :(:(:( Anyway i look foreward to speaking with someone from Eirecom soon if my questions can be answered !!! Thnx Greenie77

• Closed Accounts Posts: 289 ✭✭eircom: James

Greenie77 wrote: »
    Hi, I would like to sign up with eirecom for broadband but was wondering if you could tell me what speed is available to me ?? and how far from the exchange i am ?? i live in doctors road ballyhaunis i will PM you my phone number if this helps ;) am i going to get anywhere near the 8mb that the website says is achievable ?? i am not really looking for high download speed just a stable connection without high latency !! i am with 3g at the moment and the speed for me is very good but i regularly ping at 300-400 to Galway :(:(:( Anyway i look foreward to speaking with someone from Eirecom soon if my questions can be answered !!! Thnx Greenie77

Hi Greenie77,

There are about 35-40 houses listed on that street. I have randomly tested a total of 18 addresses, at each end and a few in the middle. The results look decent, with speeds ranging from 17-20mb for every address I tested. If you PM me the number to your house I'll try be more specific. There is a good level of service no matter where I check so I would reckon you'll get close to the full 8mb. When it comes to ping/latency it's really dependent on your setup and computer along with the line stats so I can't give an exact answer on that one until it's actually active. Hope this helps but if need any more info let me know.

Regards

James

• Registered Users Posts: 2 NoGimmicks

Hi,
    I am having similar problems to ones mentioned on this thread.
    We had a lot of problems with our Eircom Broadband in the last 2 weeks as the DSL would constantly cut out for a minute. Eircom sent us out a new router, this time it was the black router with one antenna. The dsl problem is fixed but the internet is slower than ever.
    I tried rebooting the router every time it got slow but to no effect.

Please help mr. Eircom man

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,441 ✭✭✭eircom: Mark

NoGimmicks wrote: »
    Hi,
    I am having similar problems to ones mentioned on this thread.
    We had a lot of problems with our Eircom Broadband in the last 2 weeks as the DSL would constantly cut out for a minute. Eircom sent us out a new router, this time it was the black router with one antenna. The dsl problem is fixed but the internet is slower than ever.
    I tried rebooting the router every time it got slow but to no effect.

Please help mr. Eircom man

What speeds are you getting at the moment?

Can you PM me with your tel no: so I can run a few checks.

Thanks, Mark

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2 NoGimmicks

Hi Mark,

Well I haven't actually tested the speeds yet...anytime I tried to load the page it would timeout so I gave up.
    Strangely enough though, I tried it now and it's working fine. 2.7mbps which is what I would expect but I can guarantee I wasn't getting that about an hour ago. I could barely open Boards.
    Anyway, yeah I'll PM you now.

Cheers

NoGimmicks wrote: »
    Hi Mark,

Well I haven't actually tested the speeds yet...anytime I tried to load the page it would timeout so I gave up.
    Strangely enough though, I tried it now and it's working fine. 2.7mbps which is what I would expect but I can guarantee I wasn't getting that about an hour ago. I could barely open Boards.
    Anyway, yeah I'll PM you now.

Cheers

Hi NoGimmicks.

Sorry about the delay, I see the case was open with broadband technical support and there is still an open case with them.

I will be back to you tomorrow.

Thanks, Mark

• Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭phonchoman

Hi guys, I need some help or advice with the router.

I signed up with Eircom a while back and mostly its all running fine but recently I am having to turn off the router (and on again) to get the speed back up.

Its very odd and this seems to fix the issue but its happening very often, a few weeks ago I did it once a week, then it was a few times a week, then every day and now several times throughout the day.

Please, any advice or help would be super. Thanks guys

• Registered Users Posts: 7,819 ✭✭✭fussyonion

I also find I have to restart my modem too, to get a faster connection.
    I never had this problem with the old silver modems...is it just the black ones that are the problem?
    Bit of a nuisance having to turn it off and then on again.

phonchoman wrote: »
    Hi guys, I need some help or advice with the router.

I signed up with Eircom a while back and mostly its all running fine but recently I am having to turn off the router (and on again) to get the speed back up.

Its very odd and this seems to fix the issue but its happening very often, a few weeks ago I did it once a week, then it was a few times a week, then every day and now several times throughout the day.

Please, any advice or help would be super. Thanks guys

Hi phonchoman

Can you PM me with the telephone number and I will run a few checks on the connection.

Mark

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,502 ✭✭✭touts

It seems to be a common problem with the piles of crap eircom send out as modems. Tried the telephone helpline and was told that the solution to needing to restart the modem every few days to maintain the speed was to restart the modem every few days. Came on here and one of the eircomguys said they fixed a problem with the line and maybe they did but it didnt fix the slowing down over time problem.

I'm sort of living with it until I see what better options are out there. Was about to switch to vodafone but then heard sky are coming with packages that included tv so I decided to wait and see what they offer. Basically the only reason I havent switched is not wanting to be tied into a long contract just when sky launch.

• Registered Users Posts: 1 e.pepper

Hi all, this is my experience & i'm writing it to advise people of all the problems & money it cost me personally to join Eircom because of what is basic bad customer care (I'm a retail manager & master trainer in sales training & customer care)... I signed up on 01-08-12 being told I would be connected within 10 working days, on 14-8-12 I recieved a call telling me that a tech agent would be able to connect me on either friday 17th or monday 20th (both well over 10 working days) giving me the option and I chose friday explaining getting back online was of upmost importance especially for research for my second job. So after taking friday off I then recieved a txt at 9.10 am telling me they would be out on monday which was the day I specified I didnt want and it ment I had to take a second day off, So I lost a wage for both friday and monday totalling €300 because of EIRCOM'S mistake (6 mth's of what my connection would cost and something a 15 second call could have avoided), and then said I'd be online in 5 days, and yet I didnt actually Get online until 29-08-12. By this time I had to cancel a contract class as I couldn't do research and not only lost that wage (€200) but could easily lose the contract. I am in total €500 out of pocket so far because of this issue and today i got a call trying to sweeten me up with 2 mth's free line rental (about €45 spread over 2 mth's) as compo!!! I mean I find this insulting to be 100% honest, I had to hound EIRCOM to get online and it still took a month.
    This is not including the knock on effect these issues have caused, things like:

Because i had to take those 2 days off, I was unable to take my son the following Saturday (under strict orders from my unhappy area manager) as i had to work to make up part of the two days I had to take off, which caused major conflict. I was made look totally unprofessional by asking the area manager for those two days off for something that literally took 5 to 8 min's to do, and something that a 15 second call to inform me of the change would have fixed. To be honest I could go on and on, every single member of staff i have talked to has given me different info, some simply didnt want to help, other's couldn't do enough and I know this as I've talked to quite a few over these last 5 wk's and it's what i specialize in. Trying to get to speak to a manager is next to imposible, and they don't bother ringing you back.

My advice to you all is don't bother signing up with eircom, there are much better deals out there and you'll be connected in a fraction of the time, and you'll not be left furious at how you've been treated...
    Being honest I have been in almost every situation there is in retail and customer care, and by week 3, I was not only an unhappy customer, but i was a seriously unhappy customer who hadn't even recieved his purchase, and was Hundred's of Euro's out of pocket.

would like to thank Mark at eircom for responding so swiftly. It really is great when people get back to you so quickly and are willing to help.

Thanks guys

phonchoman wrote: »
    would like to thank Mark at eircom for responding so swiftly. It really is great when people get back to you so quickly and are willing to help.

Thanks guys

Hi phonchoman

No problem, let me know how the checks go.

Thanks, Mark

ever since I posted I seem to have really solid connection! :D happy days! been really consistent now guys, thanks for the help. I will keep you updated over the next couple of weeks as to how it goes but so far it has been exactly what I signed up for. Legends! :D

still going great, I might even go as far as saying its better than ever. Thank you again guys.

• Registered Users Posts: 13 The Mountie

Hi there,
    My elderly mother live in Pallasgreen, Co. Limerick and has been a customer of eircom for years, and has resigned a contract for joint phone/broadband package with the company. Unfortunately the broadband strength out here is very very low. I've just tested now, and the download speed is less than 0.14Mbps. It took me half an hour to buffer 3 minutes of a youtube clip.

I wonder is there any way that this can be improved or if anyone knows if there is a plan for improvements in the future.

Thanks.

Hi there,
    My elderly mother live in Pallasgreen, Co. Limerick and has been a customer of eircom for years, and has resigned a contract for joint phone/broadband package with the company. Unfortunately the broadband strength out here is very very low. I've just tested now, and the download speed is less than 0.14Mbps. It took me half an hour to buffer 3 minutes of a youtube clip.

I wonder is there any way that this can be improved or if anyone knows if there is a plan for improvements in the future.

Thanks.

Hi The Mountie,

If you would like to PM me with your telephone number I can look into your broadband / speed.

Thanks, Mark

Hi The Mountie,

If you would like to PM me with your telephone number I can look into your broadband / speed.

Thanks, Mark

Thanks for everything Mark. Since yesterday, the connection has been quick and stable.

Thanks for everything Mark. Since yesterday, the connection has been quick and stable.

No problem :)

Mark

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2 top of the range rover

How long should you have to wait on an engineer to call out. I was told 2-3 days but that was 12 days ago. Trough out my wait I received a text off eircom that said we hope your happy with your new router which was a first me too hear because they said router did not need replacement .Highly annoying for a service 0.56 mbs..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,138 ✭✭✭eircom: Ant

How long should you have to wait on an engineer to call out. I was told 2-3 days but that was 12 days ago. Trough out my wait I received a text off eircom that said we hope your happy with your new router which was a first me too hear because they said router did not need replacement .Highly annoying for a service 0.56 mbs..

Hi top of the range rover,

Can you PM me your telephone/account number and I can have a look into this for you?

Thanks
    Linda

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,114 ✭✭✭BohsJohnny

Hi i signed up with eircom in may and it was fine until august and now every 2 or 3 hours the dsl cuts out can you help me.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,819 ✭✭✭fussyonion

To everyone seeking help..Just call Eircom directly and they'll sort it out.
    Posting on here just leads to the reps asking you to call them.
    They will fix it-they sorted mine today.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,226 ✭✭✭eircom: Tony

BohsJohnny wrote: »
    Hi i signed up with eircom in may and it was fine until august and now every 2 or 3 hours the dsl cuts out can you help me.

Hi BohsJohnny
    This may be a synch issue, if you PM me your details I can have this investigated for you.
    Tony

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,226 ✭✭✭eircom: Tony

fussyonion wrote: »
    To everyone seeking help..Just call Eircom directly and they'll sort it out.
    Posting on here just leads to the reps asking you to call them.
    They will fix it-they sorted mine today.

Hi fussyonion
    I can see that James has responded to your previous post here
    and while it is true that we may have to direct some cases to Broadband Technical Support we have been very successful in providing to many customers a quick and alternative response to their queries. I am happy to see that your query has been resolved and should you have any further query just post us here or call our support team on 1890260260.
    I have advised James that your issue has now ben resolved.
    Tony

Our connection here is great since Mark checked it out.

One last question. How do I check the monthly usage for my mother. She is on a 10gb limit, so I don't want her to go over that by accident some month.

Thanks for any help/advice.

Our connection here is great since Mark checked it out.

One last question. How do I check the monthly usage for my mother. She is on a 10gb limit, so I don't want her to go over that by accident some month.

Thanks for any help/advice.

Hi The Mountie,

You can check your usage and view your bills on the my eircom service bit.ly/myeircom - 'My eircom'

Or you can your usage by going to http://support.eircom.net and then click on Broadband in the column on the top right hand side

And enter your details in the fields stats on the right hand side of the page. Tel No / Acc No

Thanks, Mark

Thanks Mark for this but, when I am looking at my account info regarding broadband usage it is greyed out and displays

"The broadband usage widget is only applicable to customers who have an active eircom broadband line"

Any way around this?

Kind regards.

• Advertisement

Thanks Mark for this but, when I am looking at my account info regarding broadband usage it is greyed out and displays

"The broadband usage widget is only applicable to customers who have an active eircom broadband line"

Any way around this?

Kind regards.

Hi The Mountie,

I was able to access your stats ok through the support page. Are you using a third party modem by any chance? Have you tried through different browsers?

Also

As you are currently on the 1MB Home starter (standard) package.

I can confirm that at the moment eircom do not charge any excess download charges on the standard broadband packages. Although eircom do reserve the right to charge as per the broadband terms and conditions - "to charge for exceeding the download allowance on a customers package". Effectively what that means is that a customer does exceed the monthly download allowance, there would be no penalty.

Thanks, Mark

Advertisement