Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

NowDoc service in Donegal - question about charges.

Options
  • 14-10-2011 12:42am
    Registered Users Posts: 33,619 ✭✭✭✭

Scenario:

2 working parents, newborn child visits NowDoc out of hours service.

Is there a charge payable for this (or is it exempt due to child being newborn)?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,852 ✭✭✭homer simpson

NIMAN wrote: »
    Scenario:

2 working parents, newborn child visits NowDoc out of hours service.

Is there a charge payable for this (or is it exempt due to child being newborn)?

Phone up and ask them :o

But I cannot imagine why they wouldn't charge regardless of if its a newborn or not, the doctor still seen the child (unless the parents have a medical card).

• Registered Users Posts: 3,975 ✭✭✭iMuse

Im sure Nowdoc is the same as the standard doctors surgery except its out of hours. I doubt newborns are exempt.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,654 ✭✭✭Noreen1

I'm pretty sure that I remember reading a sign in my local Nowdoc recently, stating that the Nowdoc GP had to be registered for the mother and child scheme, which entitles newborns to free medical care for the first 6 weeks after birth.

I took it to be a warning that free care for newborns wasn't automatic, as it previously would have been. I wasn't really paying at lot of attention, though.:o I was just passing the time while waiting for my turn, and it's quite a few years since I had a newborn to worry about!

• Registered Users Posts: 642 ✭✭✭Annabella1

The mother and child scheme applies to babies aged up to 6 weeks with the doctor/practice you have registered with. Your doctor then claims a set fee after the 6 week check.if you see a different doctor not attached to your practice out of hours then you are liable to pay a fee(private patient) as this doctor has no way of claiming a payment. Hope this helps and more importantly hope junior is better!

• Registered Users Posts: 33,619 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

Thanks for that. I seen the NowDoc GP in my usual centre but to be fair the GP was one I had never met before, so perhaps what you say is correct.

I was only curious as quite a few people expressed surprise when I told them about the charge, saying that newborns are exempt from charges. Even the local health nurse visiting us to check on the newborn said to get a refund.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 33,619 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

Update:

Just in case someone ever wants to know, Annabella1 was totally right.

If its your own GP then it should be free, if its a GP you don't normally see who has come in from another preactice, they have the right to charge you, although NoWDoc told me that many wouldn't for a newborn.

Advertisement