Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Legal dispute with former employer & keeping it quiet

Options
  • 14-10-2011 1:10am
    Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭

Have any of you ever been involved in a legal dispute with your employer? Or former employer?

I'm having a dispute with my former boss and it might go to court. I don't want to go into all the details, but it's unfair dismissal. I believe he's been really unfair to me, and in general the way he runs his business and treats his staff is awful... so I don't want to let him away with it, and maybe future staff will be treated better (maybe I'm naive!).

I've gotten legal advice, and it might go to court (unless he decided to settle with me out of court - which I would prefer).

I'm keeping all of this quiet - not telling my new job, and not telling my family or too many friends. I'm worried I might be branded a troublemaker, or that people will think I'm a drama queen or that I deserved to be fired.

Has anyone been here before? Any advice? And if you were an employer, what would you think if you knew a potential new staff member was involved in a legal dispute?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 25,966 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

Aggrieved wrote: »
    And if you were an employer, what would you think if you knew a potential new staff member was involved in a legal dispute?

I wouldn't touch 'em with a barge pole.

Keeping quet is the right approach, IMHO, for your benefit.

However it is unlikley to make things better for anyone else in the future.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,340 ✭✭✭borderlinemeath

I would keep quiet with your current employer, but didn't they look for a reference from your former employer? If you were dismissed fairly or unfairly they wouldn't be supplying a glowing reference.

There are a lot of employers in the recent past using the disciplinary -> dismissal route to cut their bottom line. So the Employment Appeals Tribunal is fairly backed up with cases, so be prepared for a long wait if you do go through with a case. Also the fact that you are once more in paid employment will effect your remuneration if you are successful.

As JustMary said, most businesses run a mile from employees that will take their employers to court - it just screams trouble - even if you were 100% right to take the case.

Advertisement