Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Can I break lease for safety reasons??

Options
  • 14-10-2011 1:32am
    Registered Users Posts: 8

Hi All,
    Hope someone can help. I have been renting an apt since Nov 10 and there have been a couple of problems.
    First was the water pump. It had been acting up and I would only get water every so often. I rang the landlady about this when I first moved in and she said she would get it sorted, so 2 weeks later she rang back saying a plumber would be out the next day, plumber came had a look said he needed a screwdriver from the van and the he just f**ked off. I rang the landlady and left a msg 2 days later she rang back all apologies saying she will try get another one. Few days later I rang her saying a cousin of mine is a plumber and he can come asap if she was willing to pay etc.... she said this was fine and to arrange it.
    so I did and he said the whole pump needed to be replaced. He informed landlady and she refused to pay to have it done.so my cousin got it working but he said it was only a temporary measure.
    So low and behold it broke again. I informed landlady and again I got the run around. I had to move out of the apt for 2 1/2 weeks as landlady was away with work and could not get it sorted. (I have a 4yr old child so I need water). Eventually she got someone out to replace the pump.YAY .
    Problem 2. Came home Tuesday and turned on the lights and got a small electric shock and the lights went out. I had to go to the doctor as my hand was tingling and felt weird. I rang the landlady and got no answer so left a msg, i have not had a call back at all from her.
    Since then I have been staying with my aunt as I think it is too dangerous for my child and me to stay there.
    any who...what I want to know is the lease is up on 22nd nov 11 and I have paid rent up to the 22nd October but I want to leave now, am I allowed to break the lease now and am I entitled to get my deposit back. I think it is just too dangerous for my child and I to stay there.it is a modern apt complex and I do not think these two major faults should have happened. They have resulted in me having an electric shock and me and my child having to stay with relatives for the second time in as many weeks.
    Thanks hope someone can help.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 78,404 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Talk to the ESB immediately about the electricity, explaining how you were shocked.

Talk to the council housing department about getting the property inspected on a priority basis.

You need to phone and then write to the landlord (registered post) saying the issues need to be sorted immediately (48? hours) or you will consider her having broken the lease.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 63 ✭✭Electric Ireland: Mark

Hi tuffyotoole,

I'm sorry to hear of the issues you are having here. You need to contact an electrician immediately in order to have this problem resolved. It sound like it could be a problem with wiring in the property. Whilst I cannot recommend individual contractors, you should ensure that they are ECSSA or RECI registered.

I hope this helps and if you have further questions please don't hesitate to ask.

Regards,
    Mark

• Registered Users Posts: 78,404 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Advertisement