Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Recording with a PVR and a HDMI?

Options
  • 14-10-2011 4:48am
    Registered Users Posts: 317 ✭✭

Hi guys quick question now i know the pvr only has component cables but is there some sort of attachement that'd allow the use of a hdmi cable while recording?

Comments

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 25,868 Mod ✭✭✭✭Doctor DooM

http://stores.nextag.com/store/4798045/product/894185021/Component-Video-YPbPr-SPDIF

Looks suspiciously cheap considering how much a component to VGA adapter costs... but I've never done it myself so I don't really know.

• Registered Users Posts: 604 ✭✭✭DemoniK

main Q is what are you recording..

From PS3 - ALL content over HDMI is HDCP encrypted so the device above is extra cost for nothing.

the device above allows you to take a component video and put in to HDMI. Is this ok for you?
    Or are you trying to take HDMI and record it?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,565 ✭✭✭✭Tallon

Hi guys quick question now i know the pvr only has component cables but is there some sort of attachement that'd allow the use of a hdmi cable while recording?
    Why bro?

Component is HD, HDMI is just the same thing in a single cable as opposed to component

• Registered Users Posts: 317 ✭✭IrishWelshCelt

Tallon wrote: »
    Why bro?

Component is HD, HDMI is just the same thing in a single cable as opposed to component

ive heard that the hdmi is better quality for xbox, not sure though :P

ive heard that the hdmi is better quality for xbox, not sure though :P
    It's the same

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 317 ✭✭IrishWelshCelt

It's the same

rgdaxter is not to be trusted ;)

lol, I've tested them both :D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,686 ✭✭✭Kersmash

cant component only go to 1080i whereas hdmi can go to 1080p? the difference would be completely negligible anyway.

A Hauppage can only go to 720p, but component can go to 1080p.

A Hauppage can only go to 720p, but component can go to 1080p.
    Mine can do 1080i :)

• Advertisement

Mine can do 1080i :)

Tut tut, you don't use 1080i for gaming tallon!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,567 ✭✭✭TheChrisD

Tut tut, you don't use 1080i for gaming tallon!

I do...

Me too :)

Really?

Progressive scan is generally waaay better for high motion footage such as sports and gaming, is what I've always been told.

Really?

Progressive scan is generally waaay better for high motion footage such as sports and gaming, is what I've always been told.

it is...
    No way I could play in 1080i as you'ld see a lot more screen tearing..

• Registered Users Posts: 178 ✭✭FlapsOfDoom

so basically, there is absolutely no difference in comparison when using either component or HDMI? they are both identical?

Yes

• Registered Users Posts: 1,931 ✭✭✭Zab

Component is analogue, hdmi is digital (it can carry analogue too though) . Hdmi also carries sound. The picture quality can be good on component but given that the source and destination are digital converting to analogue for transmission should be avoided.

Hd tv (such as sky sports hd) is 1080i. If your tv has a good deinterlacer you're unlikely to be able to tell the difference.

For recording at 720p, I can literally see zero difference between HDMI and component. This ireally is how you should be recording it too unless you've access to 1080p (I did some tests and there was definite screen tear at 1080i for games).

Do you mean screen tear like the first X rows being off? Because I don't see why that would happen with 1080i at all unless something was going wrong.

• Advertisement

Zab wrote: »
    Do you mean screen tear like the first X rows being off? Because I don't see why that would happen with 1080i at all unless something was going wrong.

screen tearing is when the refresh rates between your renderer and your display get out of sync and you start seeing on your screen parts of multiple frames..

see http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Screen_tearing

most games are developed for 60fps (or there abouts). 1080i effectively halves the resolution, and shows the odd lines in 1 refresh of the display and the even lines in the other... the result is that when the sync gets out of whack you get the odd lines of frame 1 and even lines of frame 2 - hence screen tear. Very noticeable when you record at 1080i and then down convert to 720p - results in some strange artefacts in the image..

Here's a good example, from about 1 minute in when the fight starts, watch the sprites and you can see them tearing quite visably.

This match was accidentally recorded interlaced when I wasn't looking :D

Yeah, screen tearing was what I was describing. What you guys are talking about is called combing.

My understanding of it is that it essentially shouldn't happen these days with modern de-interlacing engines and especially where the content is being generated for interlaced communication rather than pre-existing. In that video clip, for instance, the whole screen seems to be weaved which is a very basic method of de-interlacing. I do agree that it's pretty bad in that clip though, if that's what you're getting when you put your PS3 into 1080i then it's unacceptable.

Zab wrote: »
    Yeah, screen tearing was what I was describing. What you guys are talking about is called combing.

My understanding of it is that it essentially shouldn't happen these days with modern de-interlacing engines and especially where the content is being generated for interlaced communication rather than pre-existing. In that video clip, for instance, the whole screen seems to be weaved which is a very basic method of de-interlacing. I do agree that it's pretty bad in that clip though, if that's what you're getting when you put your PS3 into 1080i then it's unacceptable.

That's not what happens when you directly just turn a console to 1080i, it's a side effect of that and all the processing that goes into getting the video on youtube. You're better off all around just using 720p imo unless you have a specific reason to use 1080i, I think! it's not like you're going to lose much quality on the youtube player.

Advertisement