Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Dublin to Leixlip?

• 14-10-2011 8:00am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,405 ✭✭✭

Hi, I have to go out to Leixlip and was wondering what's the safest way to cycle there and back, and how long it would take from Parkgate Street? Would be an evening cycle.

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 734 ✭✭✭twinsen

I was cycling this way for over a year. You have only 2 choices.
    1st: N4 all the way, quick but very loud
    2: via chapelizod ,strawberry beds,lucan, quiet smooth cycle, except chapelizod hill. Make sure you have a proper light there, as it is very dark over there.
    Time depending on the bike: on the hybrid it used to take me 35 minutes, on a roadabike less than 30

Hope this helps

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 815 ✭✭✭mp31

twinsen wrote: »
    I was cycling this way for over a year. You have only 2 choices.
    1st: N4 all the way, quick but very loud
    2: via chapelizod ,strawberry beds,lucan, quiet smooth cycle, except chapelizod hill. Make sure you have a proper light there, as it is very dark over there.
    Time depending on the bike: on the hybrid it used to take me 35 minutes, on a roadabike less than 30

Hope this helps

I'm planning to start commuting to/from Maynooth (once I can cycle 30km and maintain an average speed of around 25km/h without collapsing).
    Is that route along the N4 the fastest route to take?
    I take it that I can only go as far as the N4 junction with the R148 (signposted Leixslip) . At that point the N4 becomes the M4 which is a no-go for bikes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 209 ✭✭carthoris

twinsen wrote: »
    2: via chapelizod ,strawberry beds,lucan, quiet smooth cycle, except chapelizod hill.

Cutting through the Phoenix park avoids the hill which is difficult at busy times. But with the road works in Phoenix Park at the moment that might not be an option.

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 1,227 ✭✭✭rp

mp31 wrote: »
    I'm planning to start commuting to/from Maynooth (once I can cycle 30km and maintain an average speed of around 25km/h without collapsing).
    Is that route along the N4 the fastest route to take?
    I take it that I can only go as far as the N4 junction with the R148 (signposted Leixslip) . At that point the N4 becomes the M4 which is a no-go for bikes.
    Yeah, that's my commute, the N4 is pretty direct and easy. There are a couple of places where you want to figure out your strategy: the off-ramps at Newcastle rd, Ballyowen rd and Fonthill - I see a lot of cyclist either the leave the road and rejoin or use a 'box-turn', but I don't find that safer.

The M50 junction can be daunting, both ways, but looking for a gap and getting out of the bus lane earlier works for me.

After that its plain sailing, always stationary traffic backed-up at the Palmerstown lights, and a good bus lane most of the way in from there.

Oh yeah, and be prepared for motorists honking you for riding on a 'motorway'.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,988 ✭✭✭Seaswimmer

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 492 ✭✭seven stars

This is my commute as well, although I'm fairly new to it.
    rp wrote: »
    or use a 'box-turn', but I don't find that safer.

What's a box-turn? My strategy is to look for a break in the traffic, or else eyeball drivers until someone lets me across the slip road.
    rp wrote: »
    After that its plain sailing, always stationary traffic backed-up at the Palmerstown lights, and a good bus lane most of the way in from there.

I've got a related question in a new thread about the dangers of cycling in heavy traffic on the N4.

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 1,227 ✭✭✭rp

TWhat's a box-turn? My strategy is to look for a break in the traffic, or else eyeball drivers until someone lets me across the slip road.
    I'm probably abusing the term box-turn (see this thread), but what I mean is staying left at the exit, and waiting until its clear and crossing back on to the main carriageway, or to pass an on-ramp, crossing the joining road at 90 degrees and rejoining the main carriageway. I think Franklin recommends the latter, but I've never felt in danger while dealing with the joining traffic.

Advertisement