Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

No Achievements

Options
  • 14-10-2011 9:54am

Would it annoy you to play a game without achievements/trophies?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,427 ✭✭✭Morag

No, I'd rather there was proper plot/story/game/char development done then tacking on of achievements.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,186 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

I don't care less about achievements. It has no bearing on the game whatsoever.

Off the top of my head, only Portal 2 and Bulletstorm were the only games I played that used achievements/trophies to their full extent.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,445 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

I have notifications turned off on my360 because I find the achievement notifications distracting and take you out of the experience. Really could not care less about achievements.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,804 ✭✭✭✭Penn

Only time I cared about them was the last two Assassin's Creed games, which I wanted to get the Platinum trophies (might go back and do AC1 too). Didn't get the AC:Brotherhood one because of one of the multiplayer trophies which is next to impossible without boosting.

If the achievements/trophies offer a challenge, I might go for them. But generally I couldn't care less. Most of them just happen when you progress through the game. Hardly an achievement to finish a training level.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,186 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    I have notifications turned off on my360 because I find the achievement notifications distracting and take you out of the experience. Really could not care less about achievements.

I didn't even know you could do this. Will have a look later.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,847 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

I'm not exactly a 'trophy whore' but I sure do like em :). Multiplayer trophies should be banned and the 'collect 300 rocks' are tedious as hell!

However, I think Trophies can contribute to a game as well. Take Batman Arkham Asylum. I would never have pumped hours into the combat challenge rooms if not for the platinum trophy that waited for me at the end. Going back then playing it on Hard, I was kicking a$$ because of the moves I learned from the combat rooms. So trophies can encourage you to play more of a game you wouldn't usually play but some just take the piss.

• Registered Users Posts: 988 ✭✭✭Zeouterlimits

Would it annoy you to play a game without achievements/trophies?

Annoy me? Certainly not.
    The reason I like Achievements is having a handy digital record of what I've played in the past 5 years. I love looking back and going "Oh yeah, I only rented Lost Planet and finished the first 3 levels, I should pick it up and finish it" etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,943 ✭✭✭Burning Eclipse

I really like achievements, and trophies to a lesser extent (even though I know it's not cool to like them), but it wouldn't bother me in the slightest. Valkyria Chronicles had no trophies when I played it earlier this year but I was gripped and couldn't put it down.

Great games don't need achievements, but they can really add to some games. I always use this example, but Pacifist in the original Geometry Wars is a perfect example.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,427 ✭✭✭Morag

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,752 ✭✭✭pablomakaveli

Achievements/trophies arent a dealbreaker for a game but they are a good way of encouraging players to explore more of a game or try playing it in a different way.

For example i went back to Red Dead Redemption to have a go at unlocking a few trophies and ended up doing stuff i missed out on when i had just played through the story and enjoyed the game more as a result.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,298 ✭✭✭ionapaul

I've no particular interest in achievements / trophies but some games I've played have leveraged the concept well IMHO - they help keep some multiplayer games fresh (I'm thinking Team Fortress 2 or L4D2 maybe) and improve the longevity of some single-player games, making you further explore the world and whatnot.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,167 ✭✭✭Notorious

I like achievements/trophies, but they have no bearing on how or whether or not I play a game. Sometimes they're completely pointless (eg collecting all the film reels in LA Noire - trophies like that I just don't have the time for). For me, they can add an extra challenge to a game.

I don't understand people who won't play a game if it has no trophies/achievements, or others who will grind through a game they don't like just to bump their Gamerscore. A friend of mine just plays games for trophies and has admittedly played through some terrible games just to ping an easy platinum. It isn't for me, but different strokes...

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,556 ✭✭✭✭Sir Digby Chicken Caesar

the only achievement I cared about in my history of gaming was the pacifist approach to deus ex HR. There was a bug in a quest that meant that even though I tranquilised everyone, the game reported them as dead and I didn't get the achievement, but I went through the game without killing anyone so I don't really care that steam doesn't report it. it's the act itself that's important not the fact that I have a little picture on my steam profile.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 10,079 Mod ✭✭✭✭marco_polo

I'd be rather the opposite more often a game that has achievements annoys me more especially those completely pointless ones in a story driven game (yes I know I completed all the main missions that is how I finished the damn game :rolleyes:).

That said I would certainly conceed that done well in certain games they can add to the experience in terms of replayability etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,672 ✭✭✭tonydude

Ive got a few trophies, and i like the whole idea of them really but then again im quite competitive and the option of seeing what games your m8s have played is also available. Trophies drive me to complete the game the way its meant to be played not rushed through. People playing easy games for trophies is stupid though, you wont find any useless games on my list.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,932 ✭✭✭YouSavedMyLife

Not an achievement whore but i do like them. When there is a game that i really really like i try to clear it 100% and that usually ties in with the achievement list of the game.

• Registered Users Posts: 473 ✭✭ríomhaire

If that seriously bothers you you might be a bit OCD.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,342 ✭✭✭✭That_Guy

Nah, they're not important at all. I've turned off the notifications on my Xbox anyway so I never know when I've gotten an achievement.

Most achievements are for repetitive actions it seems. What's the fun in that?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,126 ✭✭✭✭calex71

Love them, that is all.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 473 ✭✭ríomhaire

That_Guy wrote: »
    Nah, they're not important at all. I've turned off the notifications on my Xbox anyway so I never know when I've gotten an achievement.

Most achievements are for repetitive actions it seems. What's the fun in that?
    I do this for steam when I'm playing a singleplayer story driven game and I'm trying to immerse myself. I don't do it for multiplayer or casual games like osmos though because it disables chat messages too.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,699 ✭✭✭deathrider

I don't think many of my games would have clocked up half the amount of hours that they did in my place if not for achievements. I love them. It gives me lots of reasons for replay games ovr and over. Bayonetta (for example) I have great fun get the achievements from. Batman: AA (as someone stated earlier) was time well spent too. It gives a bit more drive to games.

I don't like this gameply/story Vs Achievements argument, because it makes no sense to me. If a game is good, it's good, regardless of wheather or not it has achievements. And if a game is sh1te, then it'll take a lot more than a few gamerscore to make me play it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,586 ✭✭✭Healium

With the little time I now have to play games, I'd be much more likely to boot up a 360 game, get Achievements, and have something to show for my time than replay an old Xbox/PS2 gem :o

• Registered Users Posts: 1,903 ✭✭✭Napper Hawkins

Spent most of my gaming life without any of this rubbish so no, don't care. Only time I've ever given it a fair go was when I went for the Big Boss title in MGS4.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

Couldnt care less, I play the game to finish it, I do try unlock guns and stuff in COD but that happens through playtime anyway rather than specifically doing it, most of the awards I have on that are accidental

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,445 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

I've too many games to play to bother with achievements and drag out games long after they've stopped being fun.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

I like achievements in certain games. I absolutely loathe achievements that demand pointless repetition, but I really love ones in games like say, Fallout 3 that really encourage you to try your hand at approaching the game in different ways and really making sure you get your moneys worth. Fallout 3 and New Vegas are the two games I have the most achievements in actually (about 2,800 between them), simply because I love them so much and just getting the achievements was a hell of a lot of fun, not to mention incredibly satisfying. Most games, I'll just play once and whatever my achievement total at the end, is as good or as high as it gets. Most games sadly just have the balance/motivation/reward out of whack.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,910 ✭✭✭Sisko

I've had many a rant about them. I think they're a terrible addition to gaming - not the worst mind but the fall out from it with so many people seemingly obsessed by them = less of actual REAL game content. Devs must be very happy that the can entertain so many with out adding anything to a game but text.

I don't really get those with that personality type, I fear for such people if they ever touch an mmo.

:eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,383 ✭✭✭d22ontour

Achievements/perks started out with a decent ideal but now have become nothing but a joke imo.
    Playing Goldeneye/Perfect Dark/Timesplitters 2 for achievements was worthwhile, now it's fire 30 bullets to get the 30 bullets fired badge... :o

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,699 ✭✭✭deathrider

Does nobody see achievements as kinda special features on a DVD, or bonus tracks on a CD? Special features are always there, but easily ignored and often a waste of time.

Advertisement