Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

No Achievements

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,013 ✭✭✭✭jaykhunter

i don't care about 'cheevos' but i do like it when games include stuff for your avatar when completing the game. i'm all about gameplay, characters and storyline, i couldn't care less about achievement hunting. it's not like you can do anything with it and i don't have the time, the patience or the want to fullfil tasks over and over until i get a useless number to go up.

but if i were Microsoft, i think it's an ingenious idea to get people to play as many games as they can.

• Registered Users Posts: 83,331 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

in fairness some achievements are a gas. especially the ones you discover by accident: as it should be. I never like knowing what the achievments are, or how to 'grind' for them. Like this gem I found when Portal 2 came out, by virtue of just being me:

It seriously added to the LMFAOctor that it resulted in a trophy.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,570 ✭✭✭Elmidena

I like updating my gamerscore/steam achievements or whatever, but I don't farm them. If I happen to unlock them ingame, then great! But there's some games that absolutely should not have achievements--Terraria springs to mind. Takes the point of sandboxing away if you have a set to-do list, and your imagination will be left lacking freedom. I definitely don't rent/buy games to farm score off, but it does give me a little bit of cheer when I get a few points for pulling off a difficult level or whatever =D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,599 ✭✭✭James Howlett

Healium wrote: »
    With the little time I now have to play games, I'd be much more likely to boot up a 360 game, get Achievements, and have something to show for my time than replay an old Xbox/PS2 gem :o

That's true. As free time becomes more precious with age it's nice to have a little bonus that helps you justify the time you spent gaming, even just to oneself.

I do often play retro games for enjoyment but I have nothing against achievements in current games.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,738 ✭✭✭djkeogh

I love the cheevs as well. I'll happily put more time into a game I really enjoyed for some more cheevs. I'd never bother replaying a game I was sick of by the end of the campaign though. but as long as I still have a passion for the game I'll go through again and 1K if possible. Just 1K'd Enslaved a few weeks ago and am on my way to 1K in Castlevania LOS now. Loved both games so enjoying going through them a second time.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,126 ✭✭✭✭calex71

djkeogh wrote: »
    I love the cheevs as well. I'll happily put more time into a game I really enjoyed for some more cheevs. I'd never bother replaying a game I was sick of by the end of the campaign though. but as long as I still have a passion for the game I'll go through again and 1K if possible. Just 1K'd Enslaved a few weeks ago and am on my way to 1K in Castlevania LOS now. Loved both games so enjoying going through them a second time.

Agree there, much as I love them (Hit 6000 achievements earlier) I would never put another 20 hours into a game I hated for 10GS

At the end of the day you either love them or couldn't care less about them. As others have said they turn off the notifications etc.

For me personally I love the get your moneys worth kind , like how fallout 3 did them, that made you seek out new missions and areas and ones for playing as a bad ass like I wouldn't normally do in a game but had a ball being mean to folks and blowing them up :D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,699 ✭✭✭deathrider

calex71 wrote: »
    Agree there, much as I love them (Hit 6000 achievements earlier) I would never put another 20 hours into a game I hated for 10GS

I'd never put twenty hours into something I hated fullstop. Regardless of G-count, if a game is good, it's worth playing again. If a game is not, then chances are I wouldn't ven give it one full playthrough. The achievements are really a bonus, and keep me coming back for seconds, but only if I enjoyed the main course to begin with.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,352 ✭✭✭funky penguin

sheehy83 wrote: »
    I'm not exactly a 'trophy whore' but I sure do like em :). Multiplayer trophies should be banned and the 'collect 300 rocks' are tedious as hell!

However, I think Trophies can contribute to a game as well. Take Batman Arkham Asylum. I would never have pumped hours into the combat challenge rooms if not for the platinum trophy that waited for me at the end. Going back then playing it on Hard, I was kicking a$$ because of the moves I learned from the combat rooms. So trophies can encourage you to play more of a game you wouldn't usually play but some just take the piss.

I'm with you on this Sheehy. Not the be all and end all in a game, but if they're done well, I like the additional challenges. AC2 platinum trophy was a joy to get, as was Mirror's Edge. Some take the piss though, especially, as you said, the multiplayer ones.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,792 ✭✭✭Gandalph

Anyone with more achievements than me is a no lifer, anyone with less is a newb

• Registered Users Posts: 2,485 ✭✭✭Mr. K

I'm a big fan of achievements. I don't mind playing games without them, but they're the main reason I buy multiplatform games on 360 (along with the pad and Live).

I don't suffer through poor games just to get achievements though, that'd be sad. If I have all of the achievements in a game, it's usually a sign that I really enjoyed it; my way of telling the developers, "Good job!".

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,143 ✭✭✭ironictoaster

I like achievements where it is an achievement to unlock them. None of this grinding for achievements lark.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,347 ✭✭✭✭Grayditch

They give me replay value on some games and give me different reasons to play them in different ways, like challenges. Games I only think are 'meh', I don't care about those. Platinums like the Fallout 3, Assassin's Creed 2 and Demon's Souls were fun for me. Only if I'm really enjoying them.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,320 ✭✭✭v3ttel

Game content > Achievements/Trophies.

I picked up Jonah Lomu Rugby Challenge and used the edited option file with all the correct international player names, better player likenesses, etc.

Seeing as trophies as disabled when you use another users option file, I can't unlock any trophies, but 'd prefer a better gaming experience.

It is nice to look back over what you've unlocked ocassionally, but I'm never going to do the collect '500 boxtops' type ones.

There is no point in having a trophy/achievment if it wasn't fun.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,547 ✭✭✭Agricola

Dont bother with them at all. I know they incentivise people to replay games, and that is a good thing, but their primary reason for being is a willy waving exercise whereby you have a bigger number under your name than your friends.
    I dont play much MP so this kind of thing means nothing to me really. Any trophies I have are accidental.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,540 ✭✭✭✭Varik

I choose platform based on mods, controls, and trophies/achievement(360 not steam). Graphics play a role for me deciding but not a major one. I won't get a game just for trophies in any case, my time/money is limited and i play games that i'll will enjoy.

But it does affect platform

Deus ex, i haven't gotten it yet but will likely get it on PS3 for trophies as modding it does not appeal to me.

Skyrim, PC for the mods.

Arkham city, PS3 for the controls and big screen with trophies added but not a deciding factor.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,580 ✭✭✭Testament1

I dont really care about achievements in games and will never go out of my way to get achievements/trophies. I much prefer my games to try and immerse me in a good storyline, which would explain why I have no love for multi-player either, apart from racing games.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,910 ✭✭✭Sisko

deathrider wrote: »
    Does nobody see achievements as kinda special features on a DVD, or bonus tracks on a CD? Special features are always there, but easily ignored and often a waste of time.

Well if half the people that watched DVD's where so blown away by the special features and so obsessed by them that they started not to care enough if parts of the actual films themselves started to go missing....
    and if movie makers started to realise they only need to make half a movie and fill the rest of the dvd with bogus special features.... then yeah. I could see them being like special features on a dvd.

:pac:

Sisko wrote: »
    Well if half the people that watched DVD's where so blown away by the special features and so obsessed by them that they started not to care enough if parts of the actual films themselves started to go missing....
    and if movie makers started to realise they only need to make half a movie and fill the rest of the dvd with bogus special features.... then yeah. I could see them being like special features on a dvd.

:pac:

Then again, there are some people for everything. Look at pretty much anything you like, and you'll find some people who'll make a complete balls of it, and give it a bad name.

• Registered Users Posts: 473 ✭✭ríomhaire

• Registered Users Posts: 4,267 ✭✭✭mcgovern

Playing a game without achievements/trophies feels like wasted time.

• Advertisement

mcgovern wrote: »

I really don't get this approach. It's like saying that watching a movie was a waste of time because you didn't get anything to show for it.

if you could actually do something with achievement points we'd be on to something. playing a game not for the story or gameplay seems a bit mechanical. but then again people might only play games where there is no story (sports) or fast-forward through the single player so they can get to the multiplayer. Horses for courses.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,922 ✭✭✭hooradiation

ríomhaire wrote: »

That was bizarrely compelling.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,216 ✭✭✭MrVestek

It wouldn't bother me in the slighest.

Having said that I think the best achievement ever was for the recent Simpsons game. When you play the game for the very first time and press start to play the game you get:

'Achievement Unlocked: Pressed Start To Play' or something like that. I thought it was very funny at the time anyway. What was even worse was the fact that there was a way that you could bypass this and not earn it at all by pressing the 'A' button :P

• Registered Users Posts: 2,910 ✭✭✭Sisko

mcgovern wrote: »

I hope you are trolling. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 2,936 ✭✭✭rizzla

Regularly play games on my DS and iPod touch, so I guess it doesn't bother me in the slightest. I do like them though.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,216 ✭✭✭MrVestek

When I originally bought an Xbox 360 I thought that Gamerscore was the same as Microsoft points... I thought that you could earn points to spend in the marketplace by earning achievements.

I now realise how silly that was but wouldn't it be great if they served a purpose like that?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,954 ✭✭✭Mr.Saturn

Achilles wrote: »
    When I originally bought an Xbox 360 I thought that Gamerscore was the same as Microsoft points... I thought that you could earn points to spend in the marketplace by earning achievements.

I now realise how silly that was but wouldn't it be great if they served a purpose like that?

Indeed, then I'd actually go out of my way to land some arbitrary number of fireballs.

You really should get something for getting 1,000 gamerscore for a game. maybe a different coloured hat or something in-game.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,644 ✭✭✭Asmodean

I was beginning to get worried for a while because I was getting slightly obsessed with achievement scores and constantly comparing my score to other people who were on my friend list that had in and around the same as me.
    I got a PC a few months ago and gaming has gone back to being just about the game for me now rather than achievement whoring and I couldn't be happier! I know a lot of steam games have achievements but tbh I don't even bother checking them most of the time. In saying that I know that when games like Skyrim and Saints row 3 come out I'm going to go back to my old ways, purely for the fact that it makes it a joy when finding and exploring every little detail of those types of worlds.
    I like achievements that make you go out of your way to find things that otherwise you would just ignore / miss entirely. I can't stand the 'Kill 10, 0000 enemies while blindfolded and falling down a well' type of achievements.

Advertisement