Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Can I keep going to the gym with a new tattoo?

Options
  • 14-10-2011 10:31am
    Registered Users Posts: 904 ✭✭✭

So, can I?
    Would I have to leave it for a few days? I don't mind missing a few days but not say a fortnight.
    The planned tat would be a large-ish one on my left shoulder, and I do free weights.
    My arms/shoulders don't abrade off the ground or any piece of gym equipment and I wear breathable training t shirts, not cotton.
    Any advice, thanks :D

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,448 ✭✭✭✭Cupcake_Crisis

Id leave it for a few dogs, just to let it settle for a few days! The last thing i'd want to be dong after a long tattoo session is hitting the gym, nap's all around!

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 3,092 Mod ✭✭✭✭Black Sheep

MetalDog wrote: »
    So, can I?
    Would I have to leave it for a few days? I don't mind missing a few days but not say a fortnight.
    The planned tat would be a large-ish one on my left shoulder, and I do free weights.
    My arms/shoulders don't abrade off the ground or any piece of gym equipment and I wear breathable training t shirts, not cotton.
    Any advice, thanks :D

If someone has gotten large-scale work, or somewhere awkward like the ditch of their arm or their back, then they might want to take a few days off to let the healing process get underway.

What you're talking about sounds fine though, to be honest.

Keep the new tattoo clean, don't flood the area by either sweating buckets or drenching it in the shower or a bath, and you should be grand.

Taking more than a few days shouldn't necessary. I was back in the gym the same week I started my back-piece.

To me conventional gym work is less problematic than something like judo or brazillian jiu jitsu where you've probably got a worse chance of accidentally scraping the site of the new tattoo, or involves being on the ground on mats which might offer a bigger chance of infection.

Advertisement