Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What Gym for good weights advice

Options
  • 14-10-2011 11:09am
    Registered Users Posts: 103 ✭✭

Anyone out there who can suggest a gym in Sligo (preferably pay as you go) that has someone who can give good advice about weights.

I have lost significant weight over the past few months through cardio and need to tone up but haven't a clue about form, muscle groups etc. I normally just go aimlessly from one machine to another.......

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 332 ✭✭Shattered Dreamer

The only decent "pay as you go" gym I've found is the gym in Sligo IT, it's €5 for members of the public. But if you're looking for actual weight lifting advise you're going to have to actually pay membership for access to trainers. But if you really don't want to pay membership then your best bet would be google the information you seek or get a book on weight lifting from your local library.

• Registered Users Posts: 103 ✭✭Richard571

Thanks for advise - could you recommed a gym in Sligo with good trainers?

The Clarion Hotel would probably have the best trainers but their membership is really expensive at €425! Apparently the Mercy College has a great gym with reasonable membership fee, well at least that's what one of the people working in Holland & Barrett told me anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,370 ✭✭✭✭Son Of A Vidic

If you are just looking to tone up OP, then the likes of the Clarion might be sufficient for this. You would probably need to start up on a weight training circuit programme for at least 12 weeks to get a solid foundation established. Learning correct form and technique is critical, especially when doing free weights. Remember free weights should be the cornerstone of any regime whether it's toning, strength training or mass building.

There are certain exercises and machines that should be avoided. I would strongly suggest you stay clear of the Smith Press machine. It moves through an unnatural angle/range of movement for chest, shoulder or leg work. The free weight options are much safer, because they utilise the body's natural range of movement and they also produce much better results.

I'm not too sure on what's on offer in Sligo at the moment, because the last proper gym I was a member of was Better Bodies which closed unfortunately. I was in the Clarion for a while, but I found it very limited for serious weight training. I have my own set up home, with a couple of benches, lots of free weight and a bike & crosstrainer.

Is a home gym an option for you? After an initial outlay, it would save you quite a few pennies.

• Registered Users Posts: 556 ✭✭✭Gipo3

IT sligo gym has useless free weights also, there is a smith machine but I agree with previous poster on that, also a few dumbells. So basically you cant do deadlifts, squats, etc, or even proper bench press. Clarion is pretty much the same just that it has pool.
    The last time I was in Yeats Country in Rosses Point they had better free weights,pool etc etc, also a lot quieter than any mentioned so far.
    As above poster I also have weights at home, couple bars, multi angle bench, squat rack, dumbells. I have built it up over time and is much better than using those bloody smith machines.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,232 ✭✭✭ITS_A_BADGER

I too would be interested to know this im moving up to sligo for a while. is the clarion pay as you go aswell or is it private 425eur is a bit too much for the few weeks ill be going

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,232 ✭✭✭ITS_A_BADGER

The Clarion Hotel would probably have the best trainers but their membership is really expensive at €425! Apparently the Mercy College has a great gym with reasonable membership fee, well at least that's what one of the people working in Holland & Barrett told me anyway.

i think thats refering to the sligo IT gym i think?

i think thats refering to the sligo IT gym i think?

Nope the IT gym & Mercy College gym are apparently 2 different gyms

Advertisement