Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Good deal or not? 2011 Ford Focus ex-Showroom - €16950

Options
  • 14-10-2011 11:22am
    Registered Users Posts: 26

Hi all,

I'm buying my first car. Being a family man these days, I decided on a Ford Focus for a bunch of reasons, and was looking at an '08 or 09 as being within budget.

However the Ford showroom is offering 2011 ex-showroom models, with circa 30,000k on the clock, for €16950 (and I'm assuming I can get more off that for cash).

But I don't know if this is a good deal or not? Currently, 2010 models are around the 15-18k price range (autozone.ie) so it seems good value to me... I'm assuming servicing etc. etc. is all bang on, being ex-showroom models sold by Ford.

any opinions from people more experienced than I?
    thanks!
    sean.

Comments

That's a decent lash of miles for a 2011 car, presume they are diesel? Price seems ok though in fairness, of course there is a new Focus now, 'tis a manky looking thing though.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,884 ✭✭✭Soarer

Must be some size of a showroom to clock up 30K in less than 12 months!
    You sure they're not ex fleet/hire cars that're being returned?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,563 ✭✭✭Padraig Mor

Soarer wrote: »
    Must be some size of a showroom to clock up 30K in less than 12 months!
    You sure they're not ex fleet/hire cars that're being returned?

That's more like it I'd say!

• Registered Users Posts: 209 ✭✭The Tyre Dude

That mileage would be way to high for me, I'd say that engine has had the life caned out of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,685 ✭✭✭✭R.O.R

Hi all,

I'm buying my first car. Being a family man these days, I decided on a Ford Focus for a bunch of reasons, and was looking at an '08 or 09 as being within budget.

However the Ford showroom is offering 2011 ex-showroom models, with circa 30,000k on the clock, for €16950 (and I'm assuming I can get more off that for cash).

But I don't know if this is a good deal or not? Currently, 2010 models are around the 15-18k price range (autozone.ie) so it seems good value to me... I'm assuming servicing etc. etc. is all bang on, being ex-showroom models sold by Ford.

any opinions from people more experienced than I?
    thanks!
    sean.

They will be definately be ex. rental vehicles, back to the dealers after the summer season on rent.

Doubt that much damage can have been done to a Focus in 30,000km. As long as the history is showing 1 service, and you get a decent warranty, there is no reason not to go for one.

They can take a lot of abuse, and still keep on going with no problems.

• Advertisement

R.O.R wrote: »

Doubt that much damage can have been done to a Focus in 30,000km. As long as the history is showing 1 service, and you get a decent warranty, there is no reason not to go for one.

They can take a lot of abuse, and still keep on going with no problems.

Well there is not a hope I would consider a rental car with that kind of mileage, we all know how they get abused, and if it is a TDCi do you think that engine has been cooled down properly, so the turbo has had a very hard life. Warranty is good thing but I would be looking elsewhere.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,149 ✭✭✭✭Berty

Is it a 2011 though or a 2009/2010 model with a 2011 registration plate?

Completely different vehicles.

• Registered Users Posts: 17 SimonF

price seems decent although if they're saying its an ex showroom model I'd be asking about the mileage and why its so high. once its serviced on time and is covered with a warranty whats on the clock wouldn't bother me.
    Does the spec show ex demo or more bog standard fleet car?

Well there is not a hope I would consider a rental car with that kind of mileage, we all know how they get abused, and if it is a TDCi do you think that engine has been cooled down properly, so the turbo has had a very hard life. Warranty is good thing but I would be looking elsewhere.

Meh -we've had 60+ Focus 1.6Tdci's out with a construction company, and very few of them gave any major issues. I can't image rental drivers can be any harder on the cars than these guys.

Most of them came back with well over 200,000km, and were still going.

Well it least it won't have any DPF issues. :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 26 sean.casaidhe

Hi all,

thanks for the feedback. So looks like a reasonable deal for a Ford Focus? The reliability of the car is exactly why we wanted a Focus in the first place.

I did ask about why the cars are returned, thinking maybe ex-rentals or re-possessesion, but I've been assured that they are brand new models which have been used for test drives. I would obviously have to check the logs books etc. to see who the previous owners were - no-one, or the garage, I suppose. I also suppose - again I'd check - that at LEAST the required servicing has been done.

If I understood correctly (and will have to question this closely with the dealer) it's a MAX of 30k kilometers but probably under, depending on the car. I think the idea is that Ford flog their ex-showroom models before the average mileage for the car is exceeded, which afaik is about 30,000 kilometers, right?

I also read somewhere that Ford offer extended warranties if you service the car at Ford centres - will have to check up on that.

Now - how much of a discount should I ask for as a cash buyer?? :)
    thanks again guys!
    sean.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,822 ✭✭✭✭EPM

Ford don't have ex-showroom models. Dealers have demos that they use for testdrives. It could be the case it's a member of Fords staff that had use of it but tbh it sounds like its a rental/fleet car.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,711 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

RoverJames wrote: »
    .....of course there is a new Focus now, 'tis a manky looking thing though.

Beauty is in the eye of the beholder RJ. This presumably is more appealing to your unarguable sense of taste? ;)

Rover75_4.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 26 sean.casaidhe

EPM wrote: »
    Ford don't have ex-showroom models. Dealers have demos that they use for testdrives. It could be the case it's a member of Fords staff that had use of it but tbh it sounds like its a rental/fleet car.

Hmm... thanks for that! I'll definately have to question the salesman a great deal harder and look at the paperwork - I'm pressed him about why they're flogging 2011 cars at a cut price, and he did say several times that they're ex-showroom models "and we're getting a good price from Ford".

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,921 ✭✭✭Gophur

Hmm... thanks for that! I'll definately have to question the salesman a great deal harder and look at the paperwork - I'm pressed him about why they're flogging 2011 cars at a cut price, and he did say several times that they're ex-showroom models "and we're getting a good price from Ford".

You are being lied to. These cars are not demo cars, they are ex-rentals.

"ex-showroom" doesn't mean anything.

Don't question him, make it known that you are taking your business elsewhere and that it is BS like this that gives the motor trade a bad name. I'd share your experience with Ford Ireland too.

• Registered Users Posts: 546 ✭✭✭turbodiesel

Don't question him, make it known that you are taking your business elsewhere and that it is BS like this that gives the motor trade a bad name. I'd share your experience with Ford Ireland too.

I agree, even if you allow for a staff member using is as a runaround there should be more than about 12k miles on it.

15k max for cash, but i reckon he's telling porkie pies about the mileage........

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,309 ✭✭✭VolvoMan

Beauty is in the eye of the beholder RJ. This presumably is more appealing to your unarguable sense of taste? ;)

That colour is called Primrose and is very rare and desirable on a 75.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,721 ✭✭✭✭CianRyan

VolvoMan wrote: »

That colour is called Primrose and is very rare and desirable on a 75.

It can be rare all it likes, it's still ugly as sin.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,929 ✭✭✭✭ShadowHearth

Bull ****.

30000km in 10 months ( 30x10 = 300 days )

so it was showing off 7 days per week 100km daily?! 10xtrips per day of 10km everyday including weekends and bank holidays...

It's a rental. Dealer already bull****ing you. I would take my business elsewhere op. It's a rental car.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,903 ✭✭✭cadaliac

Log book should tell if it was a rental or not.
    OP ask for the Log book before you make any decisions, and the service history too.

There are 46 2011 Focus's on Carzone, between €16k & €17k, with more than 10,000 miles.

One is in an independant dealer in Cork, one is in an independant dealer in Galway, and 44 are split between 2 Dublin Ford dealers that are part of the same group.

If they aren't ex. rentals, I'll buy a hat to eat.

R.O.R wrote: »
    If they aren't ex. rentals, I'll buy a hat to eat.

Just don't buy it from the OP's dealer, you'd never know where it had been.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,341 ✭✭✭mullingar

I just looked at carzone for all 2011 Focus's (Focii??) over 10kmiles. They are nearly all the poverty spec Style model :pac:

Sounds like a bulk buy by the rental companies! It would be interesting to see how many of the reg's are sequential!

Hell, the same car picture appears several times for different ads! White, Black, Blue, Red

OP, those cars are underspecced and over priced, you'll pick up a UK 2011 Ford Focus 1.6 Tdci Zetec 110 with Com + Sport Pack, less than 10,000 miles for around €16,000 including VRT.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,884 ✭✭✭Soarer

Bull ****.

30000km in 10 months ( 30x10 = 300 days )

so it was showing off 7 days per week 100km daily?! 10xtrips per day of 10km everyday including weekends and bank holidays...

It's a rental. Dealer already bull****ing you. I would take my business elsewhere op. It's a rental car.

And that's only if it was first on the road in January! Figures get more scary when you think if it was first registered in February, March, April...

• Registered Users Posts: 5,341 ✭✭✭mullingar

OP, those cars are underspecced and over priced, you'll pick up a UK 2011 Ford Focus 1.6 Tdci Zetec 110 with Com + Sport Pack, less than 10,000 miles for around €16,000 including VRT.

I just looked up the UK prices and you are correct.

VRT is around €2,500 for a 2011 diesel focus.

You will land a nice UK Titanium spec (with ALL the goodies) with LESS than 10kmiles for around 18k.

Doesn't Ford UK offer a European 3yr warranty compared to a 2yr warranty here?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,733 ✭✭✭✭corktina

its possible this one is UK import. If its an early 2011 it would be on a 60 plate in the UK rather than the more sought after 11 plate. , so importing it here elevates it to the latest plate. Same goes for the other 40 odd mentioned too I guess.
    Check if the speedo is in miles, of course it would be easy for Ford to swap that anyway.

........... This presumably is more appealing to your unarguable sense of taste? ;)

That's a rotten looking 75, I'd sooner pick my arse with barbed wire than drive one like that to be honest :)

Most definitely more appealing than the new Focus though :D

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,711 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

RoverJames wrote: »
    ...Most definitely more appealing than the new Focus though :D

Only to a tiny insignificant minority thankfully :D

Advertisement