Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Good deal or not? 2011 Ford Focus ex-Showroom - €16950

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 26 sean.casaidhe

Thanks for all the replies. I'm not interested in importing from the UK, I want a local dealer where I can get my hands around someone's neck if there's any probs with the car.

I thought it sounded too good to be true - will definately scrutinise the logbook and mileage and stay well clear if it's an ex-rental. And give the sales guy a bollocking for misleading. And yes, the dealer is one of those ford dealerships.

I don't really care about getting a high-spec car, it's be nice, but I fully intend to drive it into the ground so resale value isn't a huge consideration. Good reliability and warrenty are!

So it looks like it'll be an 08/09 model after all, if the dealer is BS'ing me.
    thanks again
    Sean

• Registered Users Posts: 51,222 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

What kind of annual mileage are you doing? If it is low then it makes more sense to buy a petrol model. They still only cost €156 to tax, less likely to give trouble over it's life compared to a more complex diesel engine and since you are driving it into the ground you don't have to be concerned with trying to sell it on.

This one is brand new and I'm sure there is bargining on the price too:
    http://www.driving.ie/usedcars/index.cfm?fuseaction=car&carID=201140204857593

or these low mileage ones:
    http://www.driving.ie/usedcars/index.cfm?fuseaction=car&carID=201117202214081
    http://www.driving.ie/usedcars/index.cfm?fuseaction=car&carID=201139204680895
    http://www.driving.ie/usedcars/index.cfm?fuseaction=car&carID=201115201984494

• Registered Users Posts: 99 ✭✭gazmc18

Op this Focus your talking about is a hire drive. Saying that if it has 10 - 15K on it there cant be a whole pile wrong with it, 30K would probaly put me off though. Its still under warranty and you can extend it up to 5 years if you like.

The style model in 2011 has alloys, fogs, heated front screen and bluetooth so it has a few bits on it.
    a lot of the 2011 reg models will be 115ps too.

gazmc18 wrote: »
    Op this Focus your talking about is a hire drive. Saying that if it has 10 - 15K on it there cant be a whole pile wrong with it, 30K would probaly put me off though. Its still under warranty and you can extend it up to 5 years if you like.

The style model in 2011 has alloys, fogs, heated front screen and bluetooth so it has a few bits on it.
    a lot of the 2011 reg models will be 115ps too.

The new model Focus Style doesn't have that high spec anymore. The old model Focus Style does alright and is 110bhp but at €17k I would assume it is the new model. Also warranty isn't much good if the car had the nuts driven out of it. The manufacturer will only cover parts that have worn prematurely or have a design defect, they will not cover parts that need replacing due to excessive wear and tear.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,684 ✭✭✭✭R.O.R

bazz26 wrote: »
    The new model Focus Style doesn't have that high spec anymore.

Are you thinking of the new model Focus Edge there bazz? ;)

• Advertisement

R.O.R wrote: »
    Are you thinking of the new model Focus Edge there bazz? ;)

Yes, just seen that the new model Edge replaced the old model Style as the entry model of the range. €17k would be expensive for a 2011 old model Style even with 30k km imo.

my bad was thinking of the 1.8TDCI at 115ps, the 2011 styles were mostly 109ps alright. this defo isnt the new model
    I think 17K is the value of it tbh they will sell for that all day long.
    Of course the wearable parts wont be covered, personally id still pay for the 5yr warranty it could end up saving you a few quid.
    The Edge isnt the entry spec model either, believe it or not there is a spec with even less on it.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,706 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

bazz26 wrote: »
    Yes, just seen that the new model Edge replaced the old model Style as the entry model of the range. €17k would be expensive for a 2011 old model Style even with 30k km imo.

At launch I think there was a low spec. entry model called simply Focus. After that you had Edge, Zetec and Titanium.

Looks like the Titanium is not available now.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,684 ✭✭✭✭R.O.R

At launch I think there was a low spec. entry model called simply Focus. After that you had Edge, Zetec and Titanium.

Think the Titanium is still available, and now at a lower price. My dealer was trying to upsell a Zetec I have on order.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,096 ✭✭✭johnos1984

MADNESS if it's true.

It's the only one I'd have IF I had to get a Focus hatch.......then again I do like the saloon a lot for some reason.

But I'm still waiting for the Kia Optima to come along

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 65,318 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

Dealer already bull****ing you. I would take my business elsewhere op. It's a rental car.

+1

I know lying is rampant in car sales, but if a dealer told me a blatant lie about a car of that value, I'd walk away

And perhaps send the MD of the dealership an email a few days later questioning the history of the car. If he is stupid enough to lie in the reply email, ring Joe Duffy and hang the dealer out to dry :D

If he tells the truth then tell him his salesperson lied to you

• Registered Users Posts: 890 ✭✭✭lifer_sean

cadaliac wrote: »
    Log book should tell if it was a rental or not.
    OP ask for the Log book before you make any decisions, and the service history too.

In lots of cases hire cars will not have the name of the hire company. Enterprise car hire will have ERAC (Ireland) Ltd on tax book, Hertz will have the name of a holding company on the tax book.

In some cases the dealers lease the cars to the hire drive companies, so the dealer name could well be on the tax book.

@OP, I'd have to agree with the others on here that the car is almost certainly a hire car. I wouldn't worry too much about that, but I'm not impressed by the dealer trying to mislead. Good deal from Ford Ireland? Yeah, right !

Titanium is still available. Personally if i was getting the hatch i would get it in Zetec, it looks more sporty imo.
    In fairness sometimes the dealers will get certain discounts from the manufacturer off certain models for a said period of time.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,706 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

gazmc18 wrote: »
    Titanium is still available. Personally if i was getting the hatch i would get it in Zetec, it looks more sporty imo.
    In fairness sometimes the dealers will get certain discounts from the manufacturer off certain models for a said period of time.

It's not an option on www.ford.ie car configurator anymore.

Titanium is probably a Special Order now. Ford Titanium spec models are normally crazy money when new which limits their demand here.

They might be updating the site or something iam not sure, its definintly available though trust me ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,341 ✭✭✭mullingar

Ford UK have 5 spec options!

Studio
    Edge
    Zetec
    Titanium
    Titanium X

and 11 engine/gearbox combos! :mad::mad:

1.6 85 PS S5, 5 Speed
    1.6 105 PS S5, 5 Speed
    1.6 125 PS S5, 5 Speed
    1.6 125 PS S5, PowerShift
    1.6T 150 PS EcoBoost S5, 6 Speed
    1.6 TDCi 095 PS (DPF) S5, 6 Speed
    1.6 TDCi 115 PS (DPF) S5, 6 Speed
    2.0 TDCi 140 PS (DPF) S5, 6 Speed
    2.0 TDCi 140 PS (DPF) S5, PowerShift
    2.0 TDCi 163 PS (DPF) S5, 6 Speed
    2.0 TDCi 163 PS (DPF) S5, PowerShift

Edit; for comparision:

Ford IE:

Focus
    Edge
    Zetec

1.6 VCT 105, 5 Speed
    1.6 VCT 125, 5 Speed
    1.6 TDCI 95, 6 Speed
    1.6 TDCI 115, 6 Speed
    2.0 TDCI 115, Powershift

Also Ford UK dont offer the saloon Focus

• Registered Users Posts: 10,275 ✭✭✭✭Marcusm

corktina wrote: »
    its possible this one is UK import. If its an early 2011 it would be on a 60 plate in the UK rather than the more sought after 11 plate. , so importing it here elevates it to the latest plate. Same goes for the other 40 odd mentioned too I guess.
    Check if the speedo is in miles, of course it would be easy for Ford to swap that anyway.

Or the more desirable 61 plate which has applied for 6 weeks now - some in Uk would see this as more than a year old although it could be less than 8 months.

Advertisement