Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Project

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,225 ✭✭✭DogSlySmile

Really looking forward to getting back racing on the weekends:D If my ankle heals the way it has been I should be ok for ticknock. I haven't enjoyed the break from races but it has given me a bit of time to think more about my racing last year and how I approached racing.

In a lot of the 10ks I did last year I started out at too fast a pace and was struggling by the 2 mile mark and gasping for air until the finish. Similarly, in AR's I'd go hell-for-leather on the run section as I'm not as strong on the bike - but I'd end up with no energy on the bike because I went so hard on the run...

I got some OK results in 10ks and AR's but I think a more conservative approach to racing will pay dividends in time and enjoyment of the race itself. So, starting with the IMRA 10k on Saturday I'm going to take it easy for the first few hilly miles and build my pace toward the finish. I'm going to try and not worry about being passed or what position I am in, I'm just going to concentrate on my pace and my race. Will it work? I'll have to wait and see but I think I'll definitely enjoy the race a lot more as a result.

Tue, 24 Jan 2012 TT 50 minutes. 5min warmup, 10 min in HR3, 5min easy, 12min isolated legs, 5min easy, 1 min standing/sitting @ +3. HR readout is still not accurate I had to work damn hard to get into HRZ3 and its usually easy enough to get up to HRZ3. Avg HR: 134 bpm Max HR: 162 bpm

Wed, 25 Jan 2012 5.3m 38:49. This was one those great runs that come around once every few months :) Everything was easy and I naturally kept a good pace with minimal effort. The tunes helped a bunch too.

Sat, 28 Jan 2012 IMRA Ticknock winter. Distance: 5.91 mi Time: 48:03. Great race today! The reg was a bit of a shambles, I got there at 10:20 and was one of the last people to be allowed to register :confused: Anyway, it started well. I followed my new plan of taking it easy in the early miles. The route change was good and made the course more of a challenge I felt. Running through all those puddles made me fell 10 years old again! The few recce's I did definitley helped me today, I knew where to push and where to take it easy. I was VERY close to taking a few falls today but I somehow managed to stay vertical:D With about 1.5 miles to go I got out infront of a group of lads, I'm never comfortable being chased as I get caught quickly, so I purposely slowed and shadowed one guy to the end. Put in a bit of a push with 100m to go, but I couldnt catch him.

Dunno where I finished, I'd say top 20, I'll update when the results are released. Nice cycle home too for a warm down.

UPDATE: Finished 13th, happy with that!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,818 ✭✭✭nerraw1111

Great result at the weekend. Impressive. Looks like you've been busy over the winter.

I've marked you on myimra ;) as well as GohardorGohome

I hear you about not going out too fast at the start.

Can be difficult not to get swept up in the fast starts. Depends on the course too. Its definitely worth it to go out hard at Howth and hang on.

I overheard another runner giving advice at Howth. He said that you should try to hold on to some runners on the uphills, let them drag you up and once on the flat, your legs will recover. Easier said then done of course.

You doing Annagh hill?

Ah cheers!

Busy? I've been busy on the TT, but not getting as much running done as I'd like! But I think the TT has helped me with my climbing. How is your turbo training going? I'm finding the novelty has definitely worn off!!
    nerraw1111 wrote: »
    I've marked you on myimra ;) as well as GohardorGohome
    Sorry mate I've no idea what that means!!!:o

Dont think I'll be doing Annagh. I'm kinda 50/50 about trooperstown. Might do trooperstown or the Altidore 10k, not sure which one yet.

On myimra on the IMRA website, you can 'mark' particular runners. Their results are then highlighted. Handy tool.

The novelty of the turbo does wears off pretty quickly. A horrible device. I'm on it around once a week but need to use it more.

Trooperstown is a really nice route. Nice terrain and a great descent home. A bit of muddy trail

• Advertisement

On myimra on the IMRA website, you can 'mark' particular runners. Their results are then highlighted. Handy tool.

Oh right, I'm not set up on myimra, apparently I need a to member who is already set up to recommend me.... hint hint :D

Havent been logging recently as my garmin has been acting up. So I have a back-log of activities to sh*te on about:D

Sun, 29 Jan 2012 TT Recovery. Time: 45:04 Avg HR: 109 bpm
    Max HR: 131 bpm

Tue, 31 Jan 2012 TT Tempo. Time: 40:03. 5min warm up, 30 min in HRZ3, 5 min warm down. Avg HR: 130 bpm Max HR: 150 bpm

Wed, 1 Feb 2012 Track Intervals. Distance: 7.92 mi Time: 1:04:44 Jogged down to the track as a warm up. Then did 4 x 1mile at 6min/mile, with active recovery in between. Jog home was the warm down.
    Avg HR: 152 bpm Max HR: 181 bpm

Sat, 4 Feb 2012 Altidore race recce. Distance: 7.56 mi Time: 1:49:05 Decided to do this race with a few friends so I headed down to the rifle range to check it out. Got a bit lost at the start so didnt have time to do the whole route. Some good views though and I'm looking forward to it. Feel bad for the organisers, they put a link to the race on the IMRA page on facebook, the lads on IMRA have been ripping the piss out of the race because its not up to their 'standards'.... Some people are getting big heads because they ran up a hill once....

Sun, 5 Feb 2012 TT Intervals. Time: 46:27. 10 min warm up, 2 min @ 20mph(IIRC) x 6, 10 min warm down. Avg HR: 134 bpm Max HR: 172 bpm

Tue, 7 Feb 2012 TT sesh. Time: 47:13. 5 min warm up, 10 min in HRZ3 @ +1, 12 mins of isolated leg drills @ +1, 1min standing/sitting @ +3, 5 min warm down. Avg HR: 144 bpm Max HR: 168 bpm

Wed, 8 Feb 2012 Tempo run. Distance: 5.55 mi Time: 39:07. Jogged down to the field and did 1 mile at 6m/m, 1 mile @ 7m/m, 1 mile @ 6m/m, followed by a warm down.

This years running: 75.3 mi

My grrrmin (get it?:rolleyes:) is on the blink again so I havent been able to upload my runs. This week is a race week and prep hasnt gone as I would have liked. Did my usual longish run on Saturday with the view to doing some intervals on Sunday but my legs were stiff so I took a rest day. A rest day was needed on the monday to as something just didnt feel right in my thigh. Cant remember what happened on Tuesday but didnt do anything then either. Legs were finally better on wednesday so I got out for 5.5miles around the park. Did two miles intervals at 6m/m pace. This was one of those weird runs where I was huffing and puffing when I was jogging but I found the intervals fine :confused:
    Just did a short leg-loosener on thursday of about 2.5 miles with a couple of strides thrown in.

Ideally my race week (for a saturday 10k) would be 5-6 miles at a handy pace on a tuesday and a short mixed interval session on thursday, but it didnt happen this week so I'll have to make do. Looking forward to the race tomorrow. The plan is to take it handy in the early miles and push from mile 3 onward.

Date: Sat, 18, Feb 2012
    Time of day: 10:30
    Pace/type of workout: Trail Race
    Distance: 6.2mi
    Time: 40:30 (GPS)

Yikes that was tough going:eek:.... Really good race today in Kilpeddar. Absolutely beautiful location for a race. Some of the views were stunning.

Before the race I was thinking to myself I could do quite well today. Did a recce a couple of weeks before hand to check out the long climb involved, and knowing the rest was pretty much downhill (and I assumed easy) I was confident of a decent time today.

Things got off to a very fast start. First mile was about 5:30 before we came to the climb. I was in about eight position heading up the hill. The hill is about 1 mile long, not very steep but its a slog of a climb. I tried not to push too hard and just kept it steady. After the climb there was a long downhill of about 2 miles. The pace was furious as I leaned into the downhill and probably went a bit faster than I should have. Caught two runners on the down hill and got into 6th position. About 4 miles into the race I was shattered. Shattered and isolated in the race. There was one amphibian king guy about 100m ahead of me but he was strethching his lead, and I had two lads about 50m behind me and I could feel them bearing down on me. As I said, I was shattered, even running downhill was a struggle and I was getting cramp and had a slight feeling that I needed to be sick. I slogged on slowly as all the while the two runners behind me ate up the ground between us. With about a mile to go they caught me. One overtook me but didnt push on hard enough and I was able to sit on his shoulder for half a mile. Coming up to the last 500m I decided to push the pace one last time and try and overtake this guy infront of me. So, I accelerated, and was shocked at the pace I managed to hit and maintain:) I breezed past the bloke infront of me. As I was passing him he shouted "now thats the spirit - go on!". Which gave me a great boost sprinting towards the finish line. Crossed in 40:30 by my garmin, and finished in 6th place! Just waiting on official results. Legs were very shaky after and my knees were sore. Should have worn my road runners and got a bit more downhill training done. 10 mins on the TT after seems like a good warm down that I'll try from now on.

So a good race and a decent position to finish in. I'm still learning lots from every race though, I'm really not a strong enough runner to be pushing mad paces halfway through a race. I have to stop isolating myself in races too. Its not good for me confidence-wise or pace-wise.

Great to be racing though!

• Registered Users Posts: 201 ✭✭Raighne

Date: Sat, 18, Feb 2012
    Pace/type of workout: Trail Race
    Distance: 6.2mi
    Time: 40:30 (GPS)

Yikes that was tough going:eek:.... Really good race today in Kilpeddar. Absolutely beautiful location for a race. Some of the views were stunning.

Before the race I was thinking to myself I could do quite well today. Did a recce a couple of weeks before hand to check out the long climb involved, and knowing the rest was pretty much downhill (and I assumed easy) I was confident of a decent time today.

Things got off to a very fast start. First mile was about 5:30 before we came to the climb. I was in about eight position heading up the hill. The hill is about 1 mile long, not very steep but its a slog of a climb. I tried not to push too hard and just kept it steady. After the climb there was a long downhill of about 2 miles. The pace was furious as I leaned into the downhill and probably went a bit faster than I should have. Caught two runners on the down hill and got into 6th position. About 4 miles into the race I was shattered. Shattered and isolated in the race. There was one amphibian king guy about 100m ahead of me but he was strethching his lead, and I had two lads about 50m behind me and I could feel them bearing down on me. As I said, I was shattered, even running downhill was a struggle and I was getting cramp and had a slight feeling that I needed to be sick. I slogged on slowly as all the while the two runners behind me ate up the ground between us. With about a mile to go they caught me. One overtook me but didnt push on hard enough and I was able to sit on his shoulder for half a mile. Coming up to the last 500m I decided to push the pace one last time and try and overtake this guy infront of me. So, I accelerated, and was shocked at the pace I managed to hit and maintain:) I breezed past the bloke infront of me. As I was passing him he shouted "now thats the spirit - go on!". Which gave me a great boost sprinting towards the finish line. Crossed in 40:30 by my garmin, and finished in 6th place! Just waiting on official results. Legs were very shaky after and my knees were sore. Should have worn my road runners and got a bit more downhill training done. 10 mins on the TT after seems like a good warm down that I'll try from now on.

So a good race and a decent position to finish in. I'm still learning lots from every race though, I'm really not a strong enough runner to be pushing mad paces halfway through a race. I have to stop isolating myself in races too. Its not good for me confidence-wise or pace-wise.

Great to be racing though!

Great report, and glad to hear you were happy with your result. I was the runner you passed again on the last bit. Being able to shift gears quickly into an uphill sprint is a great skill to have. The old "adage" that "when you pass, pass with conviction", certainly held true :)

• Advertisement

Thanks mate. I was happy with the result when i thought i finished 6th, got the result there and im listed as 5th! Delighted! :)

Sun, 19th Feb, 2012 Legs took a beating at the race on Saturday. Really stiff and sore all day Sunday so got out for a recovery run. Legs felt a lot fresher during the run but after a shower and a stretch I could feel the stiffness creeping back in so I got a rolling pin (so many uses:D) to the aul legs and I think it really helped! Tried it again (the rolling pin) on Monday morning and my legs were feeling a lot better by Tuesday.

Tue, 21st Feb, 2012 TT Intervals. nerraw1111 was good enough to send me some TT intervals. So I tried workout #19 as he suggested that was the place to start. Good hard session. Almost felt like throwing in the towel a few times on some of the longer intervals. It was tough going but thats why I like interval training - you can feel yourself improving with every session. It was my first time on the bike in a while, my arse completely forgot what it was like to sit on a bike for an hour:eek: Must invest in a pair of them nappy-jocks you see all the tri lads wearing...

Thur, 23rd Feb, 2012 TT Intervals. Session #20. Alot easier than Tuesdays session. Tuesdays session was based around short hard intervals whereas thursdays was longer but not-as-hard intervals.

Date: Sat, 25, Feb 2012
    Time of day: 11:00
    Pace/type of workout: Urban Trails Marlay Park
    Distance: 5m
    Time: 31:37

Didnt do the best race prep this week. No running since sunday and only did two TT interval sessions. Its hard to predict a time in a trail race with all the uppy-downy bits but I had hopes of finishing around 31 mins and as close to 30 as I could.

Things got off to a quick start, quicker than I'm able for and found myself purposely slowing down inside the first mile. Got latched in behind a guy from mile 2. He was such an effortless runner, made it look so easy. I was talking to him after the race, turns out he finished a couple of places after me in the Altidore 10k. Followed him for a good bit but he got away from me in the last mile. Crossed the line in 31:37 which I was happy with and 8th place which is an improvement on last year!

Pace was all over the place today. Started far too fast and was running a 7m/m at one point and couldnt go any faster. Really just need to pick a pace and stick with it - it would make things a lot easier. Also no running during the week didnt help. My legs were very stiff after but the aul rolling pin trick seems to be doing the job!

Dunno if I'll race next week, IMRA Maulin is next Saturday. I'd like to do it but 3 weeks of racing on the trot might be stretching it a bit and I need to get out at the weekend for a long cycle.

Sun, 26 Feb 2012 26m - Time: 1:41:41
    First proper cycle in ages today. Wasnt arsed taking my bike off the TT and changing the tyre so I hopped on the girlfriends bike for this spin. Might cycle down to Maulin on Saturday if I'm doing that race so I took the chance today to try out the cycle route.

The route was grand, no major climbs, and a fair amount of down hill. The cycle back was tougher though. And at 13 miles both ways it will be good prep for WAR.
    IMG171.jpg?w=e2366e29
    Great to be out cycling again. Didnt know I missed it so much, especially the hills. Also felt like I was able to keep a good pace so it seems the TT intervals are paying off.

Tue, 28 Feb 2012 TT Intervals #21. Time: 1:00:11 Avg HR: 137 bpm
    Max HR: 171 bpm

More intervals. This session started off fine and about 25mins in I was thinking it was a bit too easy and then I noticed that I had the TT resistance set to '0', quickly reset it to '+1' and it felt like a proper session for the last half hour.

Wed, 29 Feb 2012 I've been worried that my lack of running is resulting in harder races and longer recovery times, also as I'm not running as much I'm not stretching as much (dont stretch before/after TT sesh) so I'm less flexible. So, I hit the bricks on wednesday. Just did 5.5m around the park. Tried to keep it around 7m/m. Legs were stiffer than I wanted them to be after.
    Distance:5.55 mi Time: 39:23 Avg HR: 158 bpm Max HR: 181 bpm

Thu, 1 Mar 2012 TT Intervals #22. Time 1:00:00 Avg HR: 145 bpm Max HR: 173 bpm.

Looking at the plan for this workout got me scared. It starts off w/5min warm up and then into a 9 min tough interval :eek: Thankfully it wasnt as bad as I thought, it was tough, but I did it. I think the run from the night before caught up with me about half way through this session as I had to downshift a gear for a 10 minute interval towards the end. Kept it at '+1' throughout. I know they're not 'real' miles but did 17.5miles for the hour.

IMRA race on the weekend. I'm going to use this race as prep for WAR and cycle to and from the race. The distances involved are almost perfect prep - 20k cycle, 7.5k hill run, 20k cycle. The hardest part will be pacing myself during the race as everybody else will be going 'all out' so it will be hard to resist the temptation to race them.

Date: Sat, 3, Mar 2012
    Time of day: 9:30
    Pace/type of workout: Bike/IMRA Race (Maulin)/Bike
    Distance: 13m/5m/13m
    Time: 2:37:23

Cycle 1: Gave myself an hour to cycle to 13m to Crone wood. Took it nice and easy until I got to Enniskerry when I figured out that I had to cycle the remaining 5 miles in less than 20 minutes! And the last 5 miles was full of uphill, which is not what ya want before a mountain race :( Made it to the race anyway and got registered. Started to do a bit of a warm-up jog before the race but it felt more like a warm-down as my legs were quite tired and stiff from the cycle. Did a few stretches and strides before I made myself to the start line. Time: 58:45

Race: The plan was to run at my own pace and not get caught up in racing the other runners as I was going to push myself on the cycle home. So, for me the run got off to a slow start. I was in the first 30 over the first K. There was an awful climb after that. It was so steep, no-one was running it and for some parts I was on my hands and knee's climbing this hill:eek: Could feel my calf's getting stiffer and I was sure I was going to cramp. Lost some time and 3 places on that climb. Things evened out for a bit after that before a more gentle climb to the top of Maulin. Took back the 3 places I lost on the previous climb and on the descent I caught up with two lads ahead of me. Stunning views from the top of Maulin, I'd say the marshalls at the top enjoyed it. I thought it was all downhill to the finish, and my legs finally woke up, so I pushed the pace for a while and passed a couple more runners. But there was another hill, not as bad as the first one, but it slowed everybody to a walk. Some steep and slippery downhill after this. It was very fast and I never really felt in control. Fell on my ass once and managed to badly bruise both of my big toe's. Started to recognise some of the route here so I assumed that I was nearing the finish. Was I? Nope! Wrong again! More hills! This last climb wasnt as bad as the others and I got into a rhythm of walking for 10 seconds and running for 10 seconds to the top. There was a 1k stretch of fire road to the finish. There was a guy about 50yds ahead of the whole time, I considered sprinting the finish but I thought I better leave something for the cycle home. Finished in 15th place which I probably would have been happy enough with had I been 'racing'. Time: 48:30

Cycle 2: Had a bit of a rest after the run. Had a banana and some water before I got back on the bike. Didnt push too hard at the start as I wanted to let my legs get back into the cycling rhythm before I hit the long hill to Enniskerry. No signs of cramp really, but the aul gluteus maximus was feeling the strain ;) Felt like I kept a good pace and got involved in some commuter racing (I won! haha). Got home in one piece, tired but not completely shattered. And I did it in a similar time to last week, which I think is good because I was fresh cycling home last week. Time: 50:06

So, all-in-all I felt this was a great session and great prep for the longer races. Legs are quite stiff now and my toe's are pretty badly bruised so some rest is in order. I've done 3 races in the last 3 weeks, so I'll take a week off before my next race.

"Not racing..."

Yeah heard that before. ;)

Good stuff at the weekend. Nice brick session. You doing the war sport?

My legs were in rag order after Saturdays long session. I've never had them be so stiff after a race :eek: and the toenails on my big toes are completely bruised. The GF wants me to go to the doctor about it, but I will not go to a doctor about a bruise!! ;) Anyway, back to the log....

Mon, 5 Mar 2012 TT Recovery. Time: 45:09. Avg HR: 110 bpm
    Max HR: 134 bpm
    As I said, the legs were in a bad state so I a did a recovery session on the TT to try and loosen em up. Really should have done this on Sunday after the race rather than resting.

Wed, 7 Mar 2012 TT Intervals #23 Time: 45:15. Avg HR: 137 bpm
    Max HR: 171 bpm
    The legs were still a little stiff and sore to touch on wednesday but I attempted a proper TT session. Kept the resistance at '0' to ease myself back into it. I gave it a good go but I just didnt have the power in my legs to finish to entire set so I threw in the towel 3/4 of the way through.

Fri, 9 Mar 2012 TT Intervals #23 Time: 1:00:12. Avg HR: 150 bpm
    Max HR: 186 bpm
    Second attempt at #23. I was feeling almost back to normal by Friday but kept the resistance at '0' again. Bloody tough session. Finished it though, but it was a struggle.

Sat, 10 Mar 2012 Killiney hill run. Distance: 7.76 mi Time: 59:17 Avg HR: 182 bpm Max HR: 243 bpm :confused:
    Ehhh dunno whats going on with my HR readings!!! :eek:
    Was feeling fresh on Saturday morning so I did my usual run just to get some miles on the legs. I'm going to have to fit more running into my week, even if its just 2-3 miles per session, because I'm really feeling like I'm losing running fitness. This was a good run though. i must have been excited to be out running again because I found it very hard to slow down to 7m/m pace on the flats.

Sun, 11 Mar 2012 30m cylce. Time: 2:14:57. Avg HR: 136 bpm
    Max HR: 167 bpm
    Got the girlfriends bike out and headed out for a spin this morning. Lovely day for it - you'd swear it was summer! Went up to have a look at the course for the Hellfire Duathlon that I might enter. The course looks interesting. Some very fast dowhill and some long drags for climbs. Only managed one lap of the course. The plan was to do two but the last couple of tough session caught up with me so I headed home rather than over-doing it.

So, the week got off to a poor start but was salvaged with some decent sessions towards the end of the week, so I'm happy enough with it.

"Not racing..."

Yeah heard that before. ;)

Good stuff at the weekend. Nice brick session. You doing the war sport?

Sorry man, only seeing this now! Yep I'm signed up for the sport. Looking forward to it, Glendalough was one of my favourite races last year.

Thought you'd be signing up for the expert considering all the long sessions you've been doing?

Mon, 12 Mar 2012 2.8m run. Time: 21:09
    Need to get more miles on the legs during the week. With that in mind I got out the door on Monday night for a short jog. Kept it around 7m/m pace so nice and easy. Avg HR: 156 bpm Max HR: 181 bpm

Tue, 13 Mar 2012 TT Intervals #24. Time: 1:00:17.
    Tough session. Kept the resistance at '+1' but I didnt think I'd be able to hold it for the whole hour. The intervals get incrementally harder as the session goes on. And finishes with two 6 min long intervals. I was dreading them as I was coming up to them but they were actually ok because the workout called for a 5-10-15-20-25-30 second sprint every minute, and then you do the sprints in reverse. Having the sprint interval within an interval made it easier to cope with mentally somehow. Avg HR: 148 bpm Max HR: 178 bpm

Wed, 14 Mar 2012 Run. Distance: 3.38 mi Time: 24:03.
    Slightly longer than the last run but kept it at the same easy enough pace.
    Avg HR: 153 bpm Max HR: 165 bpm

Thu, 15 Mar 2012 TT Intervals #25. Time: 57:27
    Another toughie. This one ends with an 11 minute interval. Really wasnt looking forward to it but I added a 5 second sprint into each of the 11 minutes. This somehow made it easier as it only felt like I was doing 1 minute intervals rather than an 11 minute interval. Harder physically, but easier mentally. Avg HR: 140 bpm Max HR: 171 bpm

I'm doing the Hunters Trail 10k on Sunday. It'll be interesting to see what kind of a turn out they get seeing as its the day after Paddy's Day. I did the 5k of this last year and finished 2nd. Dont think I'll get near that on the weekend but I'll give it a whack.

• Advertisement

Sorry man, only seeing this now! Yep I'm signed up for the sport. Looking forward to it, Glendalough was one of my favourite races last year.

Thought you'd be signing up for the expert considering all the long sessions you've been doing?

Expert. Hell no. Did it last year and had a brutal time of it. Bit too early for that sort of distance. That bike is really tough.

Short stuff for a bit. Best of luck on sunday.

Date: Sun, 18, Mar 2012
    Pace/type of workout: Hunters Trail 10k
    Distance: 6.84m (everybody took a wrong turn due to poor marking)
    Time: 56:43

Lovely day for race today! Nice and sunny but not too warm. Only a small field for this race, suppose you cant expect too many people will want to run around in the mud the day after Paddys day!

Things got off to a fine start, I didnt set off too mad like I have a habit of doing, and I found myself leading in the first KM:eek:. I hate leading, especially in a trail race as I never know what pace I should be going. Someone overtook me and got about 20 metres ahead of me. I left him to it for a while as we were well out in front but I decided to catch up with him early incase I didnt have the energy later. Some of the mud today was incredible! It was up to my knee's in places and I had to pull my legs out with my hands :eek: There were at least 4 really muddy places as you went round so by the second lap things were getting really sloppy. And the mud added about a pound of weight to my runners so it was slow-going for a lot of this race.

So after I caught up with the guy in front, I just sat in and took a bit of a breather. Had a look at the watch and saw we were doing 8 minute mile pace ! I know thats slow but it felt sooooo much harder than 8m/m! On the first lap I was keeping an eye out for places where I could push the pace on the second lap, found a nice downhill stretch that fit the bill a KM from the end.

All the while as me and this guy were leading, the guy in 3rd was slowly catching up with us. He caught up with us starting the second lap and took the lead. The guy who had been leading for so long dropped off to third and slowed his pace. So I followed this new guy around for a bit biding my time and waiting for my opportunity to increase the pace. About 2km from the end he veered off at a drink station so I was on my own out in front (where I dont like to be) and still a KM away from my down hill bit. I didnt want the guy in second painting a target on my back so I pushed the pace early and managed to increase the distance between us. I didnt push on the downhill bit as much as I should have, just let my legs spin and glided down the hill. I was getting close to the end now and I'm thinking 'holy **** I'm going to win' but I could still hear the guy in second splashing around behind me so I gave it one more push up the hill to the end and crossed to seal my first ever race win!

Delighted to have won my first race. I know the field was small and my time is ridiculously slow but a win is a win. The guy who finished second told me he did 2:50 in DCM and he has hopes of beating that in Connemarathon in 2 weeks. That just shows ya how tough the course was today. 430463_364302453593110_335650163125006_1151916_730736663_n.jpg

Tue, 20 Mar 2012 TT Intervals #26. Time: 1:00:00
    Continuing with the TT intervals. This one was hard going. Really need to get a fan before the warm weather returns.
    Avg HR: 141 bpm Max HR: 179 bpm

Wed, 21 Mar 2012 Killiney Steps. Distance: 7.09 mi Time: 1:06:31
    In preparation for the WAR Glendalough run I ran down to Killiney and ran the Vico Road steps 6 times. Did them as fast as I could - then jogged straight back to the bottom - then ran them slow but kept HR up - 2 min recovery jog before next set X 3. This was a tough session, probably went too hard for a midweek run. This run had 300 metres of ascent, WAR will have 575 metres.
    Avg HR: 160 bpm Max HR: 189 bpm

Thu, 22 Mar 2012 TT Intervals #27. Time: 40:00
    Tough session the day before meant my legs just didnt feel right starting these intervals. Gave it a go anyway and did the first half of the intervals before I had to throw in the towel. Just didnt have the energy to complete the full hour. I'll try this one again when I am more rested.
    Avg HR: 137 bpm Max HR: 163 bpm

Signed up for the Hellfire duathlon so looking forward to that. Sent my bike in to be serviced so Claude should be in good working order for it! Must figure out how to change my pedals though, I'm thinking toe clips will be the way to go in Hellfire and WAR Glendo.

Mon, 26 Mar 2012 TT Intervals #27 Time: 1:00:00
    Second attempt at #27. I was much more rested trying it but it was still a very tough session. Towards the end of the intervals I wasnt able to maintain 100RPM so had to maintain 95RPM.
    Avg HR: 147 bpm Max HR: 176 bpm

Tue, 27 Mar 2012 3.5m run. Time: 23:32.
    The plan for this run was to take it easy after the previous tough TT sesh but when I got out the door I was feeling good so I maintained a good clip for most of it and purposely slowed on the long hill home. Did 5k in about 20mins and then slow jogged the rest.

Wed, 28 Mar 2012 TT Intervals #28 Time: 55:00
    Like a genius I did this interval session at midday on the warmest day of the year so far.... Sweat was flying off me, the floor mat looked like I had sprung a leak! I did both of this weeks TT sessions in my runners/toe clips. Didnt notice a huge difference but I'm sure clip-ins will be an advantage for longer distances. Wasnt really sure if I should do this session at all considering I have a race on Saturday, but I'm not too fussed about where I finish this weekend as it is all training for the longer races.
    Avg HR: 154 bpm Max HR: 184 bpm

Looking forward to the Hellfire duathlon, though I do feel a little bit drained from this weeks training. Plenty of rest before the race and I should be OK come Saturday. It will be interesting to see what tactics other people employ at the race. I'll probably hold back on the first run to save energy for the cycle (there are two really long climbs) and then go all out on the second run.

It’s a tough little race. Was/am in two minds about doing it.

The cycle is pretty tough going and really takes it out of you. BUT the thing with the second run is that its so steep, you’re probably going to walk it in places which helps the legs and you won't lose that much time.

Once you’re at the top, your legs recover quickly a bit with the descent and you can maintain a similar pace to the 1st run.

I did it last year. My plan was to go out hard enough on the first run and get a gap on the strong cyclists. The course really favours strong cyclists. They can easily put ten minutes between 1st and 10th.

Second run is just a sufferfest but my time was only 90 seconds down on the first run. The run is not as hard as the IMRA route.

Here's my Garmin from last year.

http://connect.garmin.com/activity/101606633

Thanks for that.

I'll be concentrating more on putting in a strong cycling leg on Saturday, hoping that all them turbo session have paid off!

Cheers for sending me on that link but apparently I dont have the 'proper privileges' to view the garmin profile

Try it now, was locked for some reason.

Might give you an idea of the climbs etc. It's a great bike lap. I train on it a lot. Mt Venus Road has an unexpected kicker of a climb. After that, it slowly goes up again.

Good idea re bike. Great way to see where you're at. I assume my bike is weaker so put a bit more effort on the run, which in turn might make my bike leg weak, a self-fulfilling prophecy.

Best of luck, would love to be doing it. Plan on doing the run of War at weekend instead.

Ah yeah its working now thanks. Yep the climbs on the run look steep alright! 300ft of climb in the first half a mile :eek: I hate starting races on an incline, theres no chance to build up a head of steam. A good warm up will be essential so. Also, I was only expecting one climb on the run so I'll be better prepared now.

Enjoy the WAR run, think thats probably my favourite section of any race I've ever done. Tough aul climb, but the views are stunning when you get to the top. Great fun running on a narrow boardwalk as well for some reason. The downhill is where I lost a lot of time last year, think I ate too much before the race so I was getting stomach pains as I was bouncing from rock to rock on the way down.

Date: Sat, 31, Mar 2012
    Time of day: 9:20
    Pace/type of workout: Hellfire Duathlon
    Distance: 3k/16k/3k
    Time: 01:17:19

Icy cold morning for a race! Got dropped up to the viewpoint and made my way down to the hellfire woods to get set up. Didnt have time to take the bike out for a warm-up cycle so just jogged a bit and stretched a bit before the start.

Run 1
    The pace wasnt mad fast at the start. I was trying to just go at my own pace and not get caught up in worrying about what position I was in. A lead group started to break away going up towards the hellfire club. That was a tough climb so early in the race but I was glad of the following downhill and flat sections as I think I've improved the downhill side of my running. Another sneaky hill followed this, not as bad as the first but enough to knock me out of my rhythm. Following this there was a nice long downhill section where ya could stretch out your legs. Time: 15:21

Cycle
    The bike section starts with about 2k of climbing. This is where my lack of a warm-up caught up with me and I found it very hard to settle on the bike. Lost 2 places on the way up to the viewpoint but made some time back on the long downhill section. Lost another place on Mt. Venus road. On the climb before the start of the second lap I had the strangest feeling that my brakes were engaged the whole time. They werent (I checked), I was just finding it very hard to settle into a rhythm. Things were better for me on the second lap. I got my breathing under control and I didnt feel like I was fighting the bike anymore. Managed to really push it on some of the climbs and I generally felt a lot better. Not happy with my time though, I was hoping for closer to 40 minutes. Time: 43:55

Run 2
    Legs were feeling like jelly at the start of the second run so I shortened my stride and took quicker steps until they woke up. The climb towards the hellfire club was a lot tougher the second time around. Its not a particularly long climb or terribly steep but after a very hilly cycle it seems a lot worse. Felt the early signs of cramp in my calves so I walked for 10/ran for 10 up the hill. It helped that I had a guy in my sights ahead of me on the way up, I eventually caught and passed him before the second climb. Pushed it on the downhill, I had no chance of catching anyone else but I just wanted to make up a few seconds. Time: 17:03

Not happy with how this race went. I was expecting to see a bigger improvement in terms of my cycling speed/endurance considering the amount of time I've spent on the TT. But then again, this was a very hilly cycle and I haven't spent so much time in the hills this year. So I will definitely need to work on that. But, I finished in 10th position which is OK I guess. Just beginning to wonder how much more do I have to do to start going top 5 in these things. 12 mile cycle home from the race was a nice warm down though, really cleared out the legs and they are not as stiff as they usually are the day after a race.

305591_10150704213174820_195587174819_9111729_1585220952_n.jpg

• Advertisement

Done:

28/01 IMRA Ticknock Winter 10k. 48:03 Finished 13th
    18/02 Altidore 10k. 40:10 Finished 5th
    25/02 Urban Trails Marlay Park 5m. 31:37 Finished 8th
    03/03 IMRA Maulin 5m. 48:30 Finished 15th
    18/03 Hunters Trail 10k. 56:43 Finished 1st
    31/03 Hellfire Duathlon 3k/16k/3k. 1:17:19 Finished 10th

To do:

14/04 WAR Glendalough