Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Project

Options
13»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,225 ✭✭✭DogSlySmile

Came across this article on Sweat Science. Basically it says that static stretching before cycling (or running) impedes your performance:confused:. And apparently there are loads more articles that back this up.

Obviously I dont want to do anything thats going to slow me down on race day, but I dont know if I'd take the chance of just dynamic stretching before a race. My next race is WAR in two weeks time, I always seem to get calf cramps in these races, so I make sure to give my calf muscles a good stretch before a race. Maybe I'll stick to my usual routine for this race and maybe try and just dynamic stretch before a shorter race.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,818 ✭✭✭nerraw1111

Came across this article on Sweat Science. Basically it says that static stretching before cycling (or running) impedes your performance:confused:. And apparently there are loads more articles that back this up.

Obviously I dont want to do anything thats going to slow me down on race day, but I dont know if I'd take the chance of just dynamic stretching before a race. My next race is WAR in two weeks time, I always seem to get calf cramps in these races, so I make sure to give my calf muscles a good stretch before a race. Maybe I'll stick to my usual routine for this race and maybe try and just dynamic stretch before a shorter race.

Yeah I never stretch before. Just afterwards. I've managed to avoid cramps by downing a diarolyte with 200 ml of water in transition before the bike. That and nuuns or lucozade sport night before and morning.

That said I'd do stretch out the calves before a tough race.

Good result at the weekend btw. Hellfire is hard to judge improvement on the bike from my experience.

nerraw1111 wrote: »
    Yeah I never stretch before. Just afterwards. I've managed to avoid cramps by downing a diarolyte with 200 ml of water in transition before the bike. That and nuuns or lucozade sport night before and morning.

That said I'd do stretch out the calves before a tough race.

Good result at the weekend btw. Hellfire is hard to judge improvement on the bike from my experience.

Yeah I've found a combination of massaging my calves (morning of race), stretching, compression socks and nuuns/zym have helped me to avoid cramp in the past. So I'm going to stick with that down at WAR.

Thanks, I've been pretty pissed off with the hellfire cycle. Its just annoying when I've put in aaaaalll that time and effort on the TT (and you know how hard them intervals are) and not to see any results.

But you're right, the hellfire course was completely different to how I was training, so I really shouldnt have been expecting to see any big improvement. Think the WAR course will be more suited

Mon, 2 Apr 2012 Distance: 3.40 mi Time: 24:06
    Just a wee jog around the block to loosen up the legs from Hellfire. Kept a 7m/m average. Avg HR: 165 bpm Max HR: 188 bpm

Tue, 3 Apr 2012 TT Intervals. Time: 32:10
    Had planned on doing 3 x 10min intervals @ 22mph for this session. Just couldnt hack it. I did one 10 min interval, rested then attempted another but I could only manage 5 minutes before I had to throw in the towel. Just didnt have the energy :( Avg HR: 139 bpm Max HR: 170 bpm

Wed, 4 Apr 2012 TT Intervals. Time: 30:01
    Gave the 3 x 10min interval session another go as I was feeling more sprightly. Again, I just felt like I had no energy and so I abandoned the 10 minute intervals for 3 min @ 53x17 (22mph), followed by 1 min rest X 5 Avg HR: 145 bpm Max HR: 169 bpm

Dunno whats going on, this hasnt happened to me before :confused: Maybe I just needed more rest after the race before trying a tough session like that. Or maybe holding 22mph for that long is unrealistic for me. Still though, its not good for the confidence the week before a big race. Gonna take two full days rest and see how I'm feeling on the weekend before I try anymore exercise.

Two full days of rest and I'm feeling more like myself, although I did try to undo all my rest by going to a bbq on friday and drinking plenty of cans :rolleyes: Did my last two tough sessions before WAR this weekend.

Sat, 7 Apr 2012 Distance: 7.82 mi Time: 1:19:47
    Was debating with myself whether to do intervals or steps before WAR. Went with the steps in the end as I'll need the practice before WAR. Did the same as last time really. 20 minute warm-up jog to the steps, then ran them as fast as I could, jogged back down and ran them at a more comfortable pace, then took a 3 minute jog before the next set. Did this four times in all. Felt comfortable throughout but I'm glad I didnt attempt five sets as I faded quickly on the jog home. I also took in a bit of the IMRA Killiney course. I know the first part of the course very well but I'd never ran the last bit. Plenty of climbing (as you'd expect!). Looking at the garmin profile after I didnt do it exactly right, so will have another go at that. Elevation Gain: 1,201 ft Avg HR: 160 bpm Max HR: 185 bpm

Sun, 8 Apr 2012 Distance: 31.32 mi Time: 2:13:52
    Got out for the last long cycle before WAR. Headed towards Enniskerry and on past Crone/Maulin. Never been this way before. Lovely views but the road surface was torture to cycle on, bumps everywhere. Had planned on continuing on towards Cruagh but the wind was blowing a gale directly in my face so I wimped out and cut down towards Kilmolin, and then up the devils elbow, onto Glencullen and home. Really felt yesterdays step training in my legs going up the devils elbow. Wind made this a tough cycle even though I was taking it at an easy enough pace. Really beginning to think my bike is not made for climbing hills, gonna start looking at my options after WAR. Got home to find that United are 8 points clear at the top and my girlfriend was getting stuck into preparing a 3 course meal for the two of us! Yeow! Happy days! :D
    Elevation Gain: 2,367 ft Avg HR: 140 bpm Max HR: 168 bpm

• Advertisement

Tue, 10 Apr 2012 Distance: 5.78 mi Time: 33:09
    Cycled up to Killiney to do the IMRA Killiney hill course today. Only a short cycle up (1.9m). Once there I ran the IMRA route. Didnt go too mad as the race is on Saturday, but it still got me breathing heavy. Wore a water belt for the first time. Felt like a bit of a pansy wearing it but it might come in handy in WAR. IIRC I was gasping for a drink after the two climbs of the run last year. It doesnt weigh much and its simple enough to use. But it looks bent. :o Did the run in 12:23. Jumped back on the bike and took a slightly longer (2.3m) route home.
    Avg HR: 157 bpm Max HR: 184 bpm

This session has reminded me that I really havent done many brick sessions in prep for this race. Hope that doesnt come back to haunt me on Saturday! Really looking forward to the race now, but the excitement has led to a lack of sleep! Sure I'll probably only get 4-5 hours of kip before the race so I might as well get used to it!

Thats my training for the race done. Well, I'll cycle about 10 miles tomorrow at an easy pace when I'm signing on for WAR in Carrickmines. Bring on Saturday!

Date: Sat, 14 Apr 2012
    Time of day: 9:20
    Pace/type of workout: WAR: Glendalough
    Distance: 9k run/15k cycle/2k kayak/15k cycle/3k run
    Time: 02:28:03

Was really looking forward to this race. It was probably my favourite race of last year and I was looking to set right some of the mistakes I made last year. Things didnt get off to a great start as I didnt feel like I got a proper warm-up before starting (this happened last year), also I didnt start my garmin early enough so it didnt lock on to the satelite in time for the start (this also happened last year :mad:). To make matters worse I was the last person into the starting pen and only dibbed-in as everybody was racing up the path:mad:... well they do say that bad things happen in three's....

Run 1
    Had a lot of ground to make up on the leaders so I was running faster than I wanted to be at the start. I was at the back so I must have passed 40-odd runners before we got to the Spink steps. I had the fastest run time last year but I wasnt planning on doing that this year. I was trying to take a more conservative approach on the run to keep energy for the rest of the race. Initial climbing was ok, I tried to keep a regular pace rather than stopping to walk on the tougher bits. Eventually I had to slow down as I could feel the lack of a warm-up on my legs. Stunning views at the top of the Spink, really must come back during the summer and properly take it all in. It had started to hail by this stage but it just added to the adventure really :) Lovely long descent after the 5k mark. The rocks were really slippy from the rain earlier so I tried to run on the muddy verge wherever I could. This tactic worked for a while but when I had to run on the stones my runners were full of mud and so were much slippier! :eek: It was pretty flat till the end so I just kept it at a constant 7m/m pace till transition. Run time: 00:51:05

Cycle 1
    On to the bike and out onto the road. I downed an electrolyte drink in transition as I usually cramp on the bike. On the road, I felt like I kept up a good pace. One guy over took me in the early miles so I tucked in behind him for a few minutes, then we swapped around a couple of times. There was no 'agreement' between us but I felt we were working well together. He obviously didnt as when it was his turn at the front he ramped up the pace and shot off away from me! Coming into Annamoe I began feeling cramp in my calves. Messed around with my pedaling style for a while till I found something that made it less painful. On the long hill towards the kayaks I was apprehensive about getting out of the saddle while on the bike as I thought that was a sure fire way for me to cramp, but it was actually easy enough and a nice bit of relief for the other muscles. I've spent alot of time on the TT over the winter so I was hoping to see some improvement cycling wise. I think I have improved, I was able to keep up a harder pace for longer than usual. And my cycle time was 2:30 minutes faster than last year (and I wore cycling shoes last year which would be faster). Cycle 1 time: 00:35:19

Kayak
    Got down to the lakeside with no kayak buddy:(! Was waiting around for a bit before two ladies came over, but they wanted to kayak together!! :mad: A marshall timed me out after that but I'd say I lost about 30-40 seconds. Eventually found a buddy and got paddling. Sometimes I felt we were keeping up a decent pace but other times it felt like we were trying really hard and barely moving. Lost a lot of time in the kayak, time was 5 minutes slower than last year Kayak time: 00:20:04

Cycle 2
    Back on the bike and I was feeling fresher and ready to pick up the pace. My wet feet were freezing though! Also my wet MC Hammer parachute-style shorts were flapping in the wind and making me feel about as aerodynamic as a fridge! Took it easy on the long climb away from the lake but pushed from then on. There must be something in the air in Annamoe because I started to cramp again as I was passing through! One guy got ahead of me and built up a 10 second lead. I was able to keep him in my sights back to transition. Cycle time is 4:30 faster than last year. Cycle 2 time:00:24:30

Run 2
    The tops of my legs were feeling like jelly on the run but my feet were like two concrete blocks! Completely numb and I couldnt move them properly. Caught and overtook that guy who passed me on the bike. Legs began to feel a bit better after a bit. Have to say the route marking wasnt great on the last run. There was a fork in the path and no direction telling you which way to go. I thought I was going the wrong way when I came up to a barrier across the path. A little bit after that I almost took a right turn off the path towards a carpark, thankfully a tourist shouted at me and told me I was going the wrong way! Run 2 time: 00:15:38

Finished up in 9th place which I'm very happy about. I was targeting a top 10 finish so I'm chuffed. Other than that I'm happy with how my cycling went and I'm glad all them boring TT sessions paid off. Cant wait for the next one... Too bad WAR Glenmalure is two months away!

Good stuff on Saturday. Was a tough race, tougher than I remember!

Well done on the bike, that's a big improvement compared to last year over such a short distance.

nerraw1111 wrote: »
    Was a tough race, tougher than I remember!

Ah yeah but its all relative. People do ask me are these races really hard but they are only as hard as you make them. You can take it easy and enjoy the scenery or you can push yourself so much that its agony. I should prefer the former but I actually prefer the latter!! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 73 ✭✭Alan_Madden

Good Stuff Fergal. It was a savage start alright in that weather, turned out to be a beautiful day.

One thing to note, it appears that the Kayak was longer this year than last. This was my first Adventure Race of any kind but some of my friends were aiming for sub 5hrs and missed out by a few mins..... Looking over the times from this year and last, the Kayak seemed to have taken longer this year by between 5-8 mins. We are still investigating, cos it doesn't add up!!

Another thing, I didn't warm up at all, I thought the jog to the sleepers and the "walk" up the sleepers would be warm up enough. I think it worked cos I didn't get cramp* till I got off the bike for the final 3k.

After 1 event, I am ADDICTED :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15 Quarreller

Hey Guys,

Just a note on the kayak. I thought it was longer than last year myself. I could be wrong but the distance out and back seemed longer and I would be certain in saying the short leg across the lake was longer.

One thing to note, it appears that the Kayak was longer this year than last. This was my first Adventure Race of any kind but some of my friends were aiming for sub 5hrs and missed out by a few mins..... Looking over the times from this year and last, the Kayak seemed to have taken longer this year by between 5-8 mins.
    Quarreller wrote: »
    Just a note on the kayak. I thought it was longer than last year myself.

Hey, cheers lads. I didnt notice that but after checking my garmin profile from this years and last years race - this years kayak was definitely longer!

Those sneaky WAR lads.... always trying to make us suffer a bit more :rolleyes:
    After 1 event, I am ADDICTED
    Welcome to my world pal! A friend talked me into doing Achill Roar a couple of years ago, I had no interest in doing any kind of racing whatsoever before that but I just cant get enough now!

Date: Wed, 18 Apr 2012
    Time of day: 19:30
    Pace/type of workout: Relay
    Distance: 1.58m each leg
    Time: 11:02 (Team time: 38:26)

I was really looking forward to this race as I do most of my runs in and around Killiney hill. Also I've never done a relay race before so I really wanted to try one out. Fate seemed to be conspiring against me however as I didnt think I'd be recovered in time. My legs were very stiff after WAR at the weekend so I went out for a recovery run on Sunday and they were only slightly better the next day. Went out for another recovery run on Monday and again they were only slightly better the next day. On Tuesday I figured that another recovery run wouldn't ease the stiffness in my legs enough to do a race so I figured I wouldn't be able to do this one and just took it easy that day. But taking it easy did the trick and my legs were almost back to normal by Wednesday so I decided to do the race. :)

Got registered and lots were drawn to decide which runners would be on each team. I was happy to see I was drawn with a young lad I recognized (James) from previous IMRA races. He's only 16 and he's done over 100 IMRA races:eek: Met up with the other guy on our team who was doing his first IMRA race.

The first group of runners set off with James leading the first leg. I knew he'd put in a fast time as he's finished ahead of me in a couple of IMRA races, but I was shocked to see just how fast he did it in! He got to the finish line with the fastest time and I set off running the second leg. I was debating with myself how to run this. Do I take it easy on the first climb and go all out on the rest? Or do I push for the entire race? Its only a short lap so I decided to push for the whole thing. Felt like I was keeping a good pace before I hit the first climb. Really tried to charge up the climb to the obelisk. Nice downhill after that and out towards the coast. Last climb is a fecker, and on a narrow twisty trail. Throw in a few sets of steps and this is a real lung-buster of a run. Tried to push the pace on the last downhill before tagging our leg 3 runner. I wasnt expecting too much from him as its his first race but fair play to the lad he held off a late challenge and crossed the line in 1st which meant our team won!!! :D

James recorded the fastest time in 10:32, I was fourth with 11:02.

Great atmosphere at the race despite the cold weather. Looking forward to the next one at Bray Head.
    59575.jpg

Sat, 21 Apr 2012 Distance: 15.00 mi Time: 2:05:32

Longest run to date. Decided I needed to start extending my long runs in prep for the Dirty Dozen race. Also I'm kinda tempted to do a marathon this year. Read an article about a woman who celebrated her 40th birthday by running her first marathon. I thought that was pretty cool. I have a similarly 'round' birthday this year, and it just so happens that the Clonakilty marathon falls on my birthday! :D But then I was thinking whats the point of going all the way to Cork when I could just do DCM a couple of months before. I'd love to do a sub 3hr marathon, but I dont think I have the time to commit to that. Also I'm having far too much fun training for adventure races and IMRA/trail races to sacrifice it all for DCM. So I think I might just extend my LSR whenever I can and see how far I can do come August, then make a decision about it.

Today I did two long loops of Killiney Hill. First lap went fine really, tried to keep it around 7m/m pace on the flats and not let my heart rate get up to HRZ5 on the climbs (this was tricky). Took a spill on the first descent of Killiney hill, gave my knee a good bang in the process. So that forced me to take it easy on the rest of the descents. On the second lap I could really start to feel the strain in my calfs, which messed with my technique on the downhills somehow. Felt like I had to stamp my way down the hills, which didnt help my throbbing knee. I was pretty wiped after 13 miles, think the pace was around 8m/m for the last 2miles.

I'm shattered now. I have that knackered feeling I only really get after adventure races. Probably tried to do too much, should have started out with 10-12 miles instead of going for 15.

Elevation Gain: 1,452 ft Avg HR: 162 bpm Max HR: 181 bpm

Date: Wed, 25 Apr 2012
    Time of day: 19:30
    Pace/type of workout: Race
    Distance: 3.5m
    Time: 30:36

Some weather!! :eek:

Not a great race for me last night. Got down to Bray in plenty of time for a good warm-up but I was feeling very sluggish and my legs were feeling tight and heavy.

Start of the race was fine. Probably in about 10th place heading up the steps. At the start of the mucky trail I was slipping a bit and lost a couple of places. Got behind a guy I recognised from a previous IMRA race, I knew he was a good climber so I tried to stay close to him. I was getting strangely tired by this point (only about half a mile in :confused:) and got past by a couple more people. The course flattened out for a bit on the exposed cliff trail. Very windy here, I'm pretty light so I was getting blown all over the place! Had a look at the watch and saw I was doing 9m/m pace. Thats very slow for me but I just didnt have the energy to push on anymore. I was getting passed by more people so I said to myself - I'm not gonna record a good time so just relax and enjoy the run. At the turnaround point, the wind was blowing directly in your face. Really tough conditions to run in but I was feeling a bit better and getting closer to a couple of runners ahead of me. The mucky trail was even muckier on the way down but it was good fun. Overtook one guy and was chasing down the other by the time we got to the steps. Only about a hundred metres to the finish so I sprinted and past him before the line. Finished 21st. (Boards AC finished 1st team).

Dunno what was up with me. I just couldn't get into any kind of a rhythm, but whats worse is the way I lost motivation during the race. Usually when I'm tired during a race I can just slog on and find a second wind. I just wasnt arsed last night. Maybe that 15miler on the weekend took more out of me that I thought, or maybe the long days in college preparing for exams are tiring me out. If it is the exam thing I might have to reconsider my next two races: Ticknock (during exams) and the Dirty Dozen (day after final exam).... But then again, exercise makes you smart!

427952_2073631255620_1690107016_1049105_2068252098_n.jpg

Done:

28/01 IMRA Ticknock Winter 10k. 48:03 Finished 13th
    18/02 Altidore 10k. 40:10 Finished 5th
    25/02 Urban Trails Marlay Park 5m. 31:37 Finished 8th
    03/03 IMRA Maulin 5m. 48:30 Finished 15th
    18/03 Hunters Trail 10k. 56:43 Finished 1st
    31/03 Hellfire Duathlon 3k/16k/3k. 1:17:19 Finished 10th
    14/04 WAR Glendalough. 2:28:03. Finished 9th
    18/04 IMRA Killiney Hill Relay. 11:02 (Team time: 38:26) Finished 1st
    25/04 IMRA Bray Head 6K. 30:36. Finished 21st

To do:

02/05 IMRA Three Rock Summer 9K
    12/05 Dirty Dozen
    26/05 MOXIE Adventure Race
    28/06 WAR Glenmalure
    17/07 IMRA Dublin Mountain Plod
    06/08 DLR Bay 10k
    25/08 Frank Duffy 10m
    22/09 WAR Powerscourt

Sat, 28 Apr 2012 14 miles. Time: 1:51:19
    Same route as my last long run but I took a slight shortcut at the start that took a mile off the total. Felt a lot better trying it this week. Though the climbs on the first lap of Killiney were tough I settled into a rhythm and barely noticed the hills on the second lap. At 12.4m I eased back on the pace and considered the rest of the run a warm down. Tired after but not as bad as last week. Not sure whether to do IMRA Ticknock on Wednesday, I'll see how much studying I can get done and maybe decide on the day.
    Elevation Gain: 1,520 ft Avg HR: 166 bpm Max HR: 184 bpm

Mon, 30 Apr 2012 5m run Time: 35:10.

Got home early from college so headed out the door for a run. Tried to keep it at about 6:30m/m which is usually doable for me but I was struggling badly to hold the pace so I dropped it back to 7m/m for the rest. Obviously I need more rest after my long weekend run, as I just didnt have the energy during this run. So this really explains what happened to me at the Bray Head IMRA race last week. Theres no point in me attempting IMRA Ticknock if I'm going to be in the same state so will have to give it a miss :(
    Avg HR: 163 bpm Max HR: 185 bpm

Wed, 2 May 2012 TT Power. Time: 45:03

Havent been on the bike since WAR (3 weeks ago). I wasnt really in the mood for a TT session but I'm worried about losing bike fitness. Did a shortened session, its usually 1 hr long but I took out some of the rest intervals. It was harder than I was expecting, though my HR didnt get out of Z1 until a tough 10 minute interval towards the end.
    Avg HR: 124 bpm Max HR: 169 bpm

Dont think theres much point in me doing a 14/15 mile run this weekend before the Dirty Dozen race. Think I'm overreaching with the long runs and paying for it during the week and I cant do any decent sessions. Might just do 8/9 miles of hills and a couple of rambles during the week before the race.

Thur, 3 May, 2012 3.5m run.

Havent been enjoying my running recently so I got out the door on Thursday and just went for a run without any predetermined goal or pace. Glad I did it, think I need to do this kind of run every month or so just so I dont get bogged down and forget that running is supposed to be enjoyable.

Sat, 5 May, 2012 8.5m run. Time 1:07:02.

Last longish run before the Dirt Dozen race next weekend. Did my usual hilly run. Tried to keep it at 7:30 m/m pace on the flats but I find it very hard to slow down to that pace. It seems my natural pace is about 7m/m, I could just cruise along all day at that speed.
    Avg HR 161 bpm, Max HR 181 bpm

Really have to make up my mind about what I want to do with myself goal-wise. At the start of the year I was very focused on improving my cycling for participating in adventure races. And I've even made plans with a mate to join a cycling club this summer. But for the last month I've been putting some serious thought into doing DCM this year. However, in the last few days I've been thinking that I'm probably better off improving my 10k-10m time before I go and commit to a marathon. After all, I only have so long to get fast but I have my whole life to do a marathon.

I dont think I can do all three at the same time so I think I need to focus on one and have one secondary goal. Think I'd be happier being able to run a sub35 minute 10k than a 3:30 marathon anyway

Similar to yourself re goals. With the summer approaching, I'm finding myself enjoying my running rather than slogging it out on a turbo.

DCM is at the back of mind too but I'd only run it if I had a chance of a sub 3. Did it 3 years ago in four hours and while it was a great experience, fvck doing that again! Your 10km time should transfer into sub 3?

• Advertisement

Yeah I've been thinking it over in the last few days and I think I'm going to focus on getting my 10k time down. Just thinking that 90% of the races I do (trail/road/IMRA) are around the 10k distance so I'm gonna put my effort into that for now. The plan is to get down as close to 35 mins as I can.

I want to get better at the cycling but I'd be putting in a lot of effort to do it, and I'd only be doing 3-4 adventure races a year so it doesnt seem like the best use of my time. I'm still gonna do the AR's though they're great fun.

Gonna put the marathon off for a while and try and get as fast as I can before I step up to that kind of thing.

Think it might be time for a new training log!

You doing the Dirty Dozen or Moxie AR?

Mon, 7 May 2012 Distance: 3.41 mi Time: 25:44 Avg Pace: 7:33 min/mi
    Just a short slow jog around the block after Saturdays long run.
    Avg HR: 152 bpm Max HR: 181 bpm

Thu, 10 May 2012 Distance: 3.10 mi Time: 23:55 Avg Pace: 7:42 min/mi
    A short run through the puddles of killbogget to celebrate finishing my final exams. Threw in a couple of strides at 10k pace too.
    Avg HR: 167 bpm Max HR: 189 bpm

Dirty Dozen race is tomorrow. I'm looking forward to it but my preparation could have been a lot better. I did pretty well in this race the last time it was run. I'm not expecting to do the same tomorrow but there are a few places on the course where I know I can improve on last years time. I'd say the ground will be soggy in a lot of places so that could make things interesting.

Yeah I've been thinking it over in the last few days and I think I'm going to focus on getting my 10k time down. Just thinking that 90% of the races I do (trail/road/IMRA) are around the 10k distance so I'm gonna put my effort into that for now. The plan is to get down as close to 35 mins as I can.

I want to get better at the cycling but I'd be putting in a lot of effort to do it, and I'd only be doing 3-4 adventure races a year so it doesnt seem like the best use of my time. I'm still gonna do the AR's though they're great fun.

Gonna put the marathon off for a while and try and get as fast as I can before I step up to that kind of thing.

Think it might be time for a new training log!

You doing the Dirty Dozen or Moxie AR?

Hope to do do the Moxie. Can't make the Dozen, pity, as I had planned to run it but it just crept up on me.

You're right about the 10km time. That's my approach too, get those times down and you'll see big improvements in IMRA positions. The cycling requires a lot of investment to see improvements which takes a lot of time, time that you can be out having the craic in the hills. I must sort out the mountain bike as that looks like a more enjoyable way to improve.

Date: Sat, 12 May 2012
    Time of day: 10:00
    Pace/type of workout: Race
    Distance: 12m
    Time: 01:53:51

This is the second time I've done this race. Finished in 2nd place last time so I was just focused on beating my time from last year. The race is a point-to-point race taking in Bray Head the little Sugar Laof and the Big Sugar Loaf.

Took it easy at the start. Some people sped off doing about a 6minute/mile but I resisted the temptation to chase them and kept my pace around 7m/m. After all it is a 12 mile race with 3 big climbs, no point in going too crazy at the start. I was in about 10th place heading up Bray head. The 9 infront of me were spread out about 200 metres ahead of me. I knew the hills were where this race was going to be decided so I made a plan to be in ~5th place after the little sugar loaf and up with the leaders after the big sugar loaf.

The plan worked well and I made steady progress through the field without pushing myself too hard. I was in 4th place at the base of the little SL. Shadowed the guy in third place until he got tired and slowed down too much so I moved on and upped the tempo unitil I had the guy in second place in my sights. Stopped to walk a couple of times on the little SL but I caught up with the guy in second as we reached the summit. Descending the little SL is very tricky so I just got in behind the guy in front and stepped where he stepped. I glanced off to the left and saw that the guy in first place had opened up a 500m lead on us so I jumped into second place and bombed after the leader.

I pushed the pace hard on the couple of miles in between the loafs. Probably pushed harder than I should have but I wanted to be closer to the leader as we climbed the big SL. Going up the big SL I was getting tired, could really feel the previous climbs in my legs but I pushed on after the leader. The thing is I hadnt seen him in about 15 minutes so I had no idea where he was! Came to a clearing that gave me a view of the entire route up to the summit of the SL but there was no sign of the leader.... so I had a look around for people chasing me and thats where I saw the guy that was in front, he must have taken a wrong turn (marking was very poor in places). Which meant that I was leading the race and had spent the last 3 miles pushing hard and wasting energy chasing someone who wasnt there!:mad: I was knackered by this stage and walking the steep bit towards the summit of the SL. The guy behind me was breathing down my neck and passed me just before the summit. Descending the SL was torture. The first bit was fine, its all shaley so I just surfed down the mountain side. But after that there was a mile of downhill running that was giving me serious pains in my stomach and back:(. The same thing happened last year, but I thought all the downhill practice I've gotten at IMRA races and all the time I spend doing core exercises would have gotten me through this bit. I dont know what I'm doing wrong:confused: it could be something to do with my breathing?? It was agony and it really slowed me down. The pain cleared up immediately when the course flattened out however. Managed to take a wrong turn at the base of the SL, had to jump a fence and ask a motorist which way was the race going!:eek:

Into the last mile I was knackered but still only about 200m behind the leader. He looked back and saw that I was close and upped the pace to get away from me. The last 400m towards the finish line were heartbraking, a dirty little steep bollix of a climb! Crossed the line in 2nd place in 01:53:51, about 5 minutes faster than last year so I'm delighted with that.

The guy who won was a fantastic runner, he has won three IMRA races this year so theres no shame in finishing second to him.
    178902_273935269369223_100002582567904_546178_63991808_n.jpg

2012 Race Calendar

Done:

28/01 IMRA Ticknock Winter 10k. 48:03 Finished 13th
    18/02 Altidore 10k. 40:10 Finished 5th
    25/02 Urban Trails Marlay Park 5m. 31:37 Finished 8th
    03/03 IMRA Maulin 5m. 48:30 Finished 15th
    18/03 Hunters Trail 10k. 56:43 Finished 1st
    31/03 Hellfire Duathlon 3k/16k/3k. 1:17:19 Finished 10th
    14/04 WAR Glendalough. 2:28:03. Finished 9th
    18/04 IMRA Killiney Hill Relay. 11:02 (Team time: 38:26) Finished 1st