Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

GMIT students need to pay for parking. Blocking Renmore roads :(

Options
  • 14-10-2011 12:00pm
    Registered Users Posts: 161 ✭✭

parking in GMIT on Dublin road is paid

so the students parking on small renmore roads and making it very difficult to drive on .

what you think is that OK that they must pay for parking beside gmit?

it is not the centre of the city, i think it is bit strange :confused:

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 31,117 ✭✭✭✭snubbleste

If you see illegally abandoned vehicles, contact the Traffic section of Galway City Council and ask them to remove the offending vehicles. www.galwaycity.ie

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,065 ✭✭✭leonidas83

pepe00 wrote: »

so the students parking on small renmore roads and making it very difficult to drive on .

Well its the same in NUIG, its not fair but you can get a disc in NUIG for a small fee which exempts you from having to pay for parking, i dont know if this is the same in GMIT.

As for it not being the centre of the city, that doesnt matter nowadays, ive passed through many small towns etc where you have to pay for parking now and GMIT isnt exactly Oranmore, its relatively easy to get into the city from there. GMIT will be happy because its more free spaces for them and their lecturers(who im sure will have discs) and the clampers will be happy because its more opportunities for money, its only the students that lose and they couldnt give a toss about that

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,912 ✭✭✭galwaycyclist

Neither the GMIT nor the University should have been permitted to allow student parking. Restricting student parking was one of the key measures that allowed Cambridge and Oxford to keep something of their character as university cities.

What is needed is strict legislation on residents only parking rather than a parking free for all. It is a key policy elsewhere in Europe.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,967 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

Neither the GMIT nor the University should have been permitted to allow student parking. Restricting student parking was one of the key measures that allowed Cambridge and Oxford to keep something of their character as university cities.

What is needed is strict legislation on residents only parking rather than a parking free for all. It is a key policy elsewhere in Europe.

I'm the biggest public transport fan around :D

But even I admit that with the Irish dream of a rural lifestyle, people have to drive some of the way, and park somewhere. (Imagine the suburban hell that would be created if all students were forced to live within walking distance of the campus.)

Personally I don't have a problem with charging for on-site parking, because it encourages public transport use by those who have the option.

And as someone said, if there's illegal parking in an estate, complain to the garda. If you think there aren't enough double-yellows in your estate, complain to the council.

And re a residents-only policy: ahh sure, why should anyone be allowed to have visitors at all!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 845 ✭✭✭softmee

pepe00 wrote: »

If they can afford a car while beeing a student they should have no problem paying for parking.. seriously - why you can't use a bus when you are around 20!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 418 ✭✭gandroid

What do you mean exactly? That students shouldn't be allowed to park their cars on the campus where they study? Or only a certain amount of spaces should be allocated to students?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,653 ✭✭✭yer man!

softmee wrote: »
    If they can afford a car while beeing a student they should have no problem paying for parking.. seriously - why you can't use a bus when you are around 20!
    Have you ever gotten a bus in Galway? I'm a student in Oranmore and car pool into town which works out at about €10 petrol money for the week compared to €25 for the bus. There's a lot of people who have to travel quite a bit to even get to a bus, more economical to take the car unless you live within the city boundary. Kinda cheeky of you to say if we can afford a car then we should have to pay for parking. I use my mum's car to get to college a lot of the time and contribute towards insurance every month, this is still cheaper than the bus. We pay €45 for a parking permit for the year, which i have no problem paying as it funds the NUIG park & ride.

yer man! wrote: »
    Have you ever gotten a bus in Galway?

Yes, all the time and I have a car too, but dont see point driving a car to city center. But you are right, it was a bit of generalization, some people have no choice.

€10 petrol money for the week compared to €25 for the bus..
    - but there is no chance a car costs you 10€ per week!

ps: I am not sure what kind of bus you have to take from Oranmore, but monthly ticket in town costs 50€

• Registered Users Posts: 1,280 ✭✭✭Unrealistic

JustMary wrote: »
    (Imagine the suburban hell that would be created if all students were forced to live within walking distance of the campus.)
    When I studied in another IT it was the norm for all students to live within walking distance of campus because very few students could afford to own a car. It wasn't much different in Galway at the time either (although public transport links were a bit better in Galway than some of the other towns that had RTC's). And that was in the mid-90s so only a relatively short time ago.
    JustMary wrote: »
    And re a residents-only policy: ahh sure, why should anyone be allowed to have visitors at all!
    Visitor Permits work well in other cities so why wouldn't they work here? Every household gets a fixed number of one time use permits and when a visitor arrives you scratch out the date and time of your arrival and stick the pass in your windscreen so you're covered for 24 hours.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,971 ✭✭✭what_traffic

Agree with this concept. Badly needed in Galway/Ireland.

Regarding GMIT and car parking - the cycle parking facilites are very very poor - especially when one compares with NUIG.
    Would removing the roundabout(already been done on the N6) encorage more cycle and walking to GMIT?

• Registered Users Posts: 78,423 ✭✭✭✭Victor

DCU has this problem. There are more car users than parking spaces, so they park on surrounding streets. So they introduced pay & display (€1.50/hour, no parking for more than 3 hours) and residents permits (normally about €80/year). the DCU scheme is ringfenced to fund the residents parking scheme.

• Registered Users Posts: 418 ✭✭gandroid

Agree with this concept. Badly needed in Galway/Ireland.

Regarding GMIT and car parking - the cycle parking facilites are very very poor - especially when one compares with NUIG.
    Would removing the roundabout(already been done on the N6) encorage more cycle and walking to GMIT?

The argument isn't as simple as cycling instead of driving either though.

I still don't understand how there could be no pedestrian crossing near such a big school! Every time I see students running to get a bus across I think it crazy. There is even no "slow down" sign -nothing!

• Registered Users Posts: 161 ✭✭pepe00

so how much is the parking in GMIT on Dublin road, for student?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,156 ✭✭✭Iwannahurl

I've been led to believe that some GMIT students are driving to college from here.

I'd need some evidence regarding typical commuting distances and transport options for GMIT students before drawing any conclusions about how many need to drive.

However, if there is illegal and obnoxious parking occurring it needs to be dealt with.

Speaking of which, OP can you please post some pix of the problem in this thread or here?

Iwannahurl wrote: »
    I've been led to believe that some GMIT students are driving to college from here.

Exactly. I live around Briarhill and house next door is always rented by GMIT students -5 of them in the house and I have NEVER seen them on bus!

(they just seem to enjoy beeing stuck in traffic in the mornings.)

- but there is no chance a car costs you 10€ per week!

ps: I am not sure what kind of bus you have to take from Oranmore, but monthly ticket in town costs 50€
    Car pooling between 4 people, €40 petrol a week €10 each. If i'm getting bus it has to be an inter city one, bus eireann 10 journey ticket is about €25 but I have to walk 2 miles to get the bus then walk from the bus station to college, I don't mind the journey but it's more expensive and the whole process takes more time. City bus services and inter city services are completely unconnected, afaik no one ticket can serve both.

Car pooling between 4 people, €40 petrol a week €10 each.

You know there is also tax (at least 170€ a year), insurance (much more), some repairs, -or you mum haven't told you? ;)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,912 ✭✭✭galwaycyclist

Oxford and Cambridge also went for substantial park and ride as I recall but that carrot won't work without a strict policy on parking elsewhere.

• Advertisement

You know there is also tax (at least 170€ a year), insurance (much more), some repairs, -or you mum haven't told you? ;)
    Tax is €150 a year, car is brand new so repairs are minimal, insurance is fairly low as i've been driving on a full license for a few years now and have no claims. The car isn't used all that much at home so I have the use of it frequently. I know a lot of my friends who have cars who live in the city don't use them in Galway, they cycle to college as it's way faster. If it was convenient for me to use the bus I would, but from leaving the house to arriving at a lecture it would take 1hr 15mins (on a good day), car takes ≈40-45 mins. Plus some days I'd be in college till about 7 or 8 for class/labs and would miss the last bus home. At the moment I'm waiting for Oranmore train station to open so I can cycle to the train, bring bike on board (free on commuter rail) and cycle from the station to college. I do think everyone should have to pay for the parking as it would minimize city dwellers driving to college but I do not agree with obolishing parking for students all together or making them pay a massive amount each day.

Tax is €150 a year, .

http://www.environ.ie/en/LocalGovernment/MotorTax/MotorTaxRates/MotorTaxRatesBasedonEngineSize/

-but if that works better for you, its your choice of course.

• Registered Users Posts: 206 ✭✭Toon--soldier

leonidas83 wrote: »
    Well its the same in NUIG, its not fair but you can get a disc in NUIG for a small fee which exempts you from having to pay for parking, i dont know if this is the same in GMIT.

Ya its the same in GMIT, it just the car park is too small which leads to students parking in renmore

You are aware that cars are no longer taxed according to engine size.....? cars are taxed on carbon emission.
    https://www.motortax.ie/OMT/pdf/faqs_co2_en.pdf
    If i wasn't carpooling or if i lived near/in the city I would definitely be getting the bus everyday.

• Registered Users Posts: 247 ✭✭kieran26

What has this got to do with the fact that people are parking all over the place in Renmore? Extremely close to nothing i'd say.

Back on topic.when i was in GMIT a few people in my class who used to live in Glasan used to drive across the road to college! I'd say alot of it is to do with the college starting to charge for parking and also the car park has gotten alot smaller in recent years! not good for the residents!they will probably have to set up a residents permit scheme!

• Registered Users Posts: 748 ✭✭✭topcat77

I lived just off the round about in lurgan park for 2 years. Nothing but trouble with students blocking the drive way. Correct me if i'm wrong! there is an overflow carpark in Galwegians Rugby Stadium that's vertualy empty! Think they don't give a **** about the residents and want to be as close as possible to the collage.

http://www.gmit.ie/presidents-office/parking-dublin-road.html

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,156 ✭✭✭Iwannahurl

kieran26 wrote: »
    Back on topic.when i was in GMIT a few people in my class who used to live in Glasan used to drive across the road to college! I'd say alot of it is to do with the college starting to charge for parking and also the car park has gotten alot smaller in recent years! not good for the residents!they will probably have to set up a residents permit scheme!

Iwannahurl wrote: »

I'd need some evidence regarding typical commuting distances and transport options for GMIT students before drawing any conclusions about how many need to drive.

However, if there is illegal and obnoxious parking occurring it needs to be dealt with.

Speaking of which, OP can you please post some pix of the problem in this thread or here?

Thank you for providing first-hand confirmation of what I had heard from another (reliable) source. You couldn't make it up.

This is the No. 1 selling point on the Glasan student village website:
    Location Location Location……directly across the road, just 1 min walk from GMIT.

• Registered Users Posts: 630 ✭✭✭mazthespark

there physically isnt enough parking spaces available for all the students and staff at both colleges in galway so where are people supposed to park??? across from gmit there is huge carpark going to waste around the old great southern yet no one seems to think that oh wait we could just open that up and everyone could park there??? bit crazy really! im sure theres a similar site on the opposite side of town? or design parking into all the new college buildings?? every other type of building does it y cant they in the colleges?

• Registered Users Posts: 64 ✭✭Miss_F

I heard that a member of the students union used to get a taxi on the SU account from Glasan to GMIT everyday!!!! Thats crazy and a waste of Funding that could be better spent elsewhere

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 161 ✭✭pepe00

Exactly. I live around Briarhill and house next door is always rented by GMIT students -5 of them in the house and I have NEVER seen them on bus!

(they just seem to enjoy beeing stuck in traffic in the mornings.)

sure I would prefer to drive in my caR instead of waiting in a bus in irish weather... walking here and there to bus stop, and paying more than petrol cost...

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement