Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

GMIT students need to pay for parking. Blocking Renmore roads :(

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 161 ✭✭pepe00

i didnt know that the problem is small amount of space ... i thought that students dont want to pay for parking :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 956 ✭✭✭Mike...

The whole parking thing is a joke, Clamp like there is no tomorrow

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,042 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

there physically isnt enough parking spaces available for all the students and staff at both colleges in galway so where are people supposed to park??? .... or design parking into all the new college buildings?? every other type of building does it y cant they in the colleges?

Having "enough" parking just encourages people to bring cars instead of walk or use public transport. Just like building more roads simply encourages more traffic.

So these days, planning generally requires buildings to have some parking, but not too much.

This is NOT unique to Ireland, BTW.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,238 ✭✭✭✭Diabhal Beag

Some people have cop on though but I do see a lot of **** parking jobs myself.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,180 ✭✭✭EyeSight

softmee wrote: »
    If they can afford a car while beeing a student they should have no problem paying for parking.. seriously - why you can't use a bus when you are around 20!
    that is such a stupid statement. some people don't live near a college, so they have to travel to it. you can either pay for a place near the college(which can be expensive and loud) or you can pay to travel there. also, i'm not sure what the parking situation is in this case, but at my college all parking is a maximum of 2 hours per stay and a day of college is longer than 2 hours, so even if i could afford to pay for parking, its not possible to stay there

the public transport in ireland is terrible, when i was in first year i used to get the bus. it was ALWAYS late. sometimes it didn't come. and if it was raining i'd be standing in the rain waiting for a late bus, getting splashed by cars.

other people don't live near a bus route and need a car. just because public transport works in your situation doesn't make it the best option for everyone. remember too that a lot of students need to take out loans for their college fees, cars(and or accomodation) etc. and the added expense of parking doesn't help.

maybe a free park and ride for the college would help or even 2 euro per day, something non profit anyway. this country needs to start making practical solutions to problems. "get a bus" is a terrible solution especially in ireland

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,232 ✭✭✭✭ben.schlomo

EyeSight wrote: »
    that is such a stupid statement. some people don't live near a college, so they have to travel to it. you can either pay for a place near the college(which can be expensive and loud) or you can pay to travel there. also, i'm not sure what the parking situation is in this case, but at my college all parking is a maximum of 2 hours per stay and a day of college is longer than 2 hours, so even if i could afford to pay for parking, its not possible to stay there

the public transport in ireland is terrible, when i was in first year i used to get the bus. it was ALWAYS late. sometimes it didn't come. and if it was raining i'd be standing in the rain waiting for a late bus, getting splashed by cars.

other people don't live near a bus route and need a car. just because public transport works in your situation doesn't make it the best option for everyone. remember too that a lot of students need to take out loans for their college fees, cars(and or accomodation) etc. and the added expense of parking doesn't help.

maybe a free park and ride for the college would help or even 2 euro per day, something non profit anyway. this country needs to start making practical solutions to problems. "get a bus" is a terrible solution especially in ireland
    I get the number 9 to gmit 5days a week and can confirm that bus times mean nothing in this country, the 9:30am bus comes about once a week. Makes sense to drive and not rely on an inefficient service like that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26 Julio__Bitchez

If they can afford a car while beeing a student they should have no problem paying for parking.. seriously - why you can't use a bus when you are around 20!

Im 19, and I dont drive so have to rely on the bus or lifts....I live in Connemara, going into college isn't the problem, it's buses home. The last bus is at 6 o clock. What happens if you've lectures after 5? No way home.

I disagree with people parking in places they shouldn't, but please...public transport in Galway is hardly top notch.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,532 ✭✭✭kabakuyu

Parking is provided in Galwegians Rugby grounds for GMIT students,I live near the front of Lurgan park and I have seen students from Gleann Rua park their cars outside my door :mad:, they would not walk the 500m distance to the college.When I asked one why he did not park in the college he said he would not get a parking permit from the Gmit because he lived less than 1km from the GMIT.Last year the city council put in a combination of single and double yellow lines which has helped the situation but a hardcore still park illegally and cause problems.The community wardens and Gardai now patrol regulary and issue plenty of tickets but the problem has now moved to other areas.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,653 ✭✭✭yer man!

I think they should just clamp like mad and get students to park in the right place ie. galwegians rugby club which isn't always full from what i can see. In NUIG they clamp like mad if you park any where other than a student spot, which are limited in the centre of campus. The park & ride seems to work quite well in my opinion. I know there is still a couple of problems with students parking in estates around campus but it's not as bad as Renmore. Once a student gets an €80 fine for parking in the wrong place, trust me, they will never park there again....

• Registered Users Posts: 253 ✭✭xo.mary

I seen that the Corrib hotel has been mentioned, but it cannot be used as there's legalities/safety concerns behind it. The college have tried, and failed.

• Advertisement

kabakuyu wrote: »
    Parking is provided in Galwegians Rugby grounds for GMIT students,I live near the front of Lurgan park and I have seen students from Gleann Rua park their cars outside my door :mad:, they would not walk the 500m distance to the college.When I asked one why he did not park in the college he said he would not get a parking permit from the Gmit because he lived less than 1km from the GMIT.Last year the city council put in a combination of single and double yellow lines which has helped the situation but a hardcore still park illegally and cause problems.The community wardens and Gardai now patrol regulary and issue plenty of tickets but the problem has now moved to other areas.

so is that mean that the cars parked in renmore belongs to students from glean rua:confused: really bad !

and they even have parking at the rugby club and dont want to park there ?

what a stupid!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,532 ✭✭✭kabakuyu

pepe00 wrote: »
    so is that mean that the cars parked in renmore belongs to students from glean rua:confused: really bad !

and they even have parking at the rugby club and dont want to park there ?

what a stupid!

Some do,but not all.Like all other groups in society some irresponsibe students give the law abiding ones a bad reputation.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 845 ✭✭✭softmee

Im 19, and I dont drive so have to rely on the bus or lifts....I live in Connemara, going into college isn't the problem, it's buses home. The last bus is at 6 o clock. What happens if you've lectures after 5? No way home.

I disagree with people parking in places they shouldn't, but please...public transport in Galway is hardly top notch.

I was thinking about people living in town.

a lot of students need to take out loans for their college fees, cars(and or accomodation) etc. and the added expense of parking doesn't help.

Ok, I agree that public transport is a nightmare here -alright and I was talking about students living in Galway.
    What is really stupid IMO - taking a loan for car when you are a student! :rolleyes: Thats pure stupidity!

Ok, I agree that public transport is a nightmare here -alright and I was talking about students living in Galway.
    What is really stupid IMO - taking a loan for car when you are a student! :rolleyes: Thats pure stupidity!
    how else can you pay for a car when at best all you can have is a part time job and you've to pay college fees, books, a car(including petrol, tax, insurance and maybe NCT) and or rent(depending on your situation)

unfortunately i may need to take a loan out soon just to survive my last year in college. i really really don't want to but i can't live off of nothing

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,892 ✭✭✭Head The Wall

Exactly, students have always attended college. Yes believe it or not even when they didn't all have their own cars somehow students managed.

It involved moving near the college and walking or cycling in every day, I understand this may be a foreign concept to the illiterate, good for nothing, lazy clowns who seem to make up a huge chunk of the student population nowadays. There will be people who can't move near their chosen college and need to commute every day but they wouldn't be the majority.

how else can you pay for a car when at best all you can have is a part time job and you've to pay college fees, books, a car(including petrol, tax, insurance and maybe NCT) and or rent(depending on your situation)

unfortunately i may need to take a loan out soon just to survive my last year in college. i really really don't want to but i can't live off of nothing
    If you make the choice to go to college you have to accept the stark decisions that may come with it. This may involve not having a car if you can't afford it, penneys furry boots instead of UGG's etc

I was living without a car 30 years and I am alive :rolleyes:
    -and I bought it recently after saving for a while

• Registered Users Posts: 206 ✭✭Toon--soldier

Exactly, students have always attended college. Yes believe it or not even when they didn't all have their own cars somehow students managed.

It involved moving near the college and walking or cycling in every day, I understand this may be a foreign concept to the illiterate, good for nothing, lazy clowns who seem to make up a huge chunk of the student population nowadays. There will be people who can't move near their chosen college and need to commute every day but they wouldn't be the majority.

Myabe its cheaper for some students to drive to college than it is to move closer to the college

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,509 ✭✭✭✭randylonghorn

You do realise that the numbers in all the colleges have increased radically in the last decade or so though? And certainly in Galway, the infrastructure generally and the public transport options in particular haven't taken sufficient account of that.

Add to that the effects of the Diseased Celtic Kitten shot accommodation costs sky high, and that they haven't come down to the extent that one might expect since the bubble burst (especially in Galway). Given that a huge numbers of families are struggling with greatly reduced incomes, that's a real problem, and for many who are commutable distance yet don't have access to good public transport it's more economic by far to drive, esp. if they can carpool.

And yes, of course you also have some spoiled children of that same Kitten who believe that they should be able to drive into the lecture theatre and treat it like a drive-in movie, preferably with popcorn provided. Or who drive across from Glasan, as mentioned. But the problem is a lot bigger than that, and includes a lot of genuine people who are struggling to stay in college, and maybe, just maybe end up with a job at the end of it. Or at least have an education / skill-set if they are forced to emigrate, as many of them will be.

Of course, none of that excuses blocking up residential estates or peoples driveways, I wouldn't for a second suggest that it does, and residents who are encountering these problems should most certainly insist that something is done about it. But as someone already pointed out, enforcement usually just moves the problem on, if the roots of the problem aren't tackled.

Are there any more long-term solutions which either the residents or students posting in this thread might suggest?

Should there be a park-and-ride for GMIT, for example? Is there somewhere which would work well ... a part of the Merlin Park grounds for example, or someplace further out? Could a joint project be established which would service more than GMIT in the Renmore area?

Have we any positive suggestions rather than just using the internet to purge our frustrations? :D

• Advertisement

If you make the choice to go to college you have to accept the stark decisions that may come with it. This may involve not having a car if you can't afford it, penneys furry boots instead of UGG's etc
    what a dumb statement.
    you need to understand that this state needs people to go to college so that companies can see we have a skilled workforce, and then locate here. also if i didn't chose to go to college i'd be drawing the dole now, and im sure you'd be the first to complain about people doing that:rolleyes:

i made the choice to go to college so i can have a career. believe me, i do not go around in fancy jewelery. i have worked my ass off for the past 4 years in part time jobs and college work and i still only manage to just get by with the bare minimum.

if i want to take a loan out and buy a small car, and pay for it with money i earned while also going to college then that's my choice, not yours. having a car makes my life 100 times easier and more comfortable and i'm not going to stand in the rain most mornings waiting for a bus that won't come and missing lectures just to satisfy you.

instead of moaning about things like everyone else why not come up with compromised solutions? some colleges have great park and ride facilities. improving public transport and the standards that is expected(mainly in punctuality) would have great results. i have been in cities with good public transport and i much preferred using them than driving. practical solutions that benefit all parties, its easier than you'd think

I was living without a car 30 years and I am alive :rolleyes:
    -and I bought it recently after saving for a while
    and you're situation is the same as everyone else? also, taking out a loan for a car and then paying it off is not much different than saving up for a car. just with the loan you get to drive the car while paying it off. neither is more admirable.....

what a dumb statement.
    you need to understand that this state needs people to go to college so that companies can see we have a skilled workforce, and then locate here. also if i didn't chose to go to college i'd be drawing the dole now, and im sure you'd be the first to complain about people doing that:rolleyes:

I've issues with the wrong people going to college (i.e people not utilising their skills and qualifications afterwards) but thats a separate issue. Remember that the current skilled workforce we have (myself included) went to college when cars were a luxury and we turned out okay.
    i made the choice to go to college so i can have a career. believe me, i do not go around in fancy jewelery. i have worked my ass off for the past 4 years in part time jobs and college work and i still only manage to just get by with the bare minimum.

Fair dues to anyone wanting to further themselves and not just going to college to pass the time but choosing to go changes things in peoples lives. If having a car suits you and you can afford it thats good for you. Running a car is pricey though, it seems like a lot of students just expect to have one without giving much consideration to what involved in running (& parking) one.
    if i want to take a loan out and buy a small car, and pay for it with money i earned while also going to college then that's my choice, not yours. having a car makes my life 100 times easier and more comfortable and i'm not going to stand in the rain most mornings waiting for a bus that won't come and missing lectures just to satisfy you.

instead of moaning about things like everyone else why not come up with compromised solutions? some colleges have great park and ride facilities. improving public transport and the standards that is expected(mainly in punctuality) would have great results. i have been in cities with good public transport and i much preferred using them than driving. practical solutions that benefit all parties, its easier than you'd think

Public transport sucks in Galway, I'll agree there. If people want to go to college they have to weigh up the costs and accessibility options of attending college

Are there any more long-term solutions which either the residents or students posting in this thread might suggest?

Should there be a park-and-ride for GMIT, for example? Is there somewhere which would work well ... a part of the Merlin Park grounds for example, or someplace further out? Could a joint project be established which would service more than GMIT in the Renmore area?

Sounds like there's a perfectly effective, and under-used, park-and-walk in the Galwegians grounds.

Re sites further out .... I can think of one near Carnmore that has a car-park that will be well under-used for the winter anyway.

why do you think students has no right to have a car, and use it for weekend trips or other activity? car is very very useful toll, cant see the reason why having that is stupid:confused: even if you are student ;)

driving 300 meters and parking illegaly is stupid, but otherwise car is a good think :D

and no need a load, you can buy quite good car for as little as 500 euro

pepe00 wrote: »
    why do you think students has no right to have a car, and use it for weekend trips or other activity? car is very very useful toll, cant see the reason why having that is stupid:confused: even if you are student ;)

driving 300 meters and parking illegaly is stupid, but otherwise car is a good think :D

and no need a load, you can buy quite good car for as little as 500 euro

I never sad having a car is stupid, I said taking loan for a car when you are a student is stupid.

taking out a loan for a car and then paying it off is not much different than saving up for a car. just with the loan you get to drive the car while paying it off. neither is more admirable.....

The only difference is that you pay like 30% more..

The only difference is that you pay like 30% more..

Taking out a loan for the full price of an item that depreciates the second you sign the purchase agreement is pure madness, IMHO. I've no problem with students having cars - if they can get them by saving for them. And no problem with students whose family home is in an area with bad public transport links driving to places with better links.

But I've lots of problems with students renting and then borrowing 'cos they "need" a car. There's plenty of rental accommodaiton in walking distance, or on good public transport links, of GMIT.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,734 ✭✭✭zarquon

It's just a sign of the celtic cubs brought up in a society where they are trained to believe that cars are a necessity rather than a luxury when you are young. It is completely stupid to take a loan for a car if you are also struggling to pay for college. What next, taking a loan for an ipad or laptop? If you rent, rent closer. Fine, if you are living with parents still outside of the city but otherwise if you're in the city you don't need a car if you're a student. That's the problem with the economy at large. Everything is done on credit and when it comes time to pay there's no money. People need to realise that debt is not the answer.

JustMary wrote: »
    Taking out a loan for the full price of an item that depreciates the second you sign the purchase agreement is pure madness, IMHO. I've no problem with students having cars - if they can get them by saving for them. And no problem with students whose family home is in an area with bad public transport links driving to places with better links.

But I've lots of problems with students renting and then borrowing 'cos they "need" a car. There's plenty of rental accommodaiton in walking distance, or on good public transport links, of GMIT.

I am not sure, why you quoted me, as what you wrote above was exactly my point an my "only" was "only" ironic.
    People now think they deserve everything before they earn it.

• Advertisement

I am not sure, why you quoted me, as what you wrote above was exactly my point an my "only" was "only" ironic.
    People now think they deserve everything before they earn it.

:o

Sorry, I was trying to quote the person who you quoted ... kinda messes up, and once I'd realised decided it was too late to fix.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement