Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

GMIT students need to pay for parking. Blocking Renmore roads :(

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,420 ✭✭✭kabakuyu

Corrib GS Hotel was full of cars today,has the Gmit aquired the hotel grounds for student parking?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,892 ✭✭✭Head The Wall

That's the new overflow car park for the Galway Clinic, they had planning issues with the one they were using at Castlegar Complex

• Registered Users Posts: 578 ✭✭✭cant26

softmee wrote: »
    Ok, I agree that public transport is a nightmare here -alright and I was talking about students living in Galway.
    What is really stupid IMO - taking a loan for car when you are a student! :rolleyes: Thats pure stupidity!

Why is it pure stupidity to take out a loan for a car when you're a student?? Just because it's something you don't agree with does not make it stupid. Im a student living in Galway and getting to GMIT from Knocknacarra would be a joke without my car. I think everyone has different circumstances and students should not be all seen as the same.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,543 ✭✭✭thenakedchef

Students are parking in the first turn of lurgan park and god, and yes the council have imposed double and single yellow lines but these need to be extended in further as students are parking past thes lines which is making it difficult for delivery trucks such as oil trucks to get through, not to mention if a fire truck needs to get through. Which could prove difficult,
    Also students drive through these estates with no regards to speed limits afterall there are a lot of children playing and living there

• Registered Users Posts: 12,161 ✭✭✭✭ben.schlomo

Students are parking in the first turn of lurgan park and god, and yes the council have imposed double and single yellow lines but these need to be extended in further as students are parking past thes lines which is making it difficult for delivery trucks such as oil trucks to get through, not to mention if a fire truck needs to get through. Which could prove difficult,
    Also students drive through these estates with no regards to speed limits afterall there are a lot of children playing and living there
    Never realised it was just students that speed, what an interesting fact

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,912 ✭✭✭galwaycyclist

cant26 wrote: »
    Why is it pure stupidity to take out a loan for a car when you're a student?? Just because it's something you don't agree with does not make it stupid. Im a student living in Galway and getting to GMIT from Knocknacarra would be a joke without my car. I think everyone has different circumstances and students should not be all seen as the same.

At a personal level, for you, it may make sense for you to buy a car. However at a community level for the city, it is stupid to let you park your car wherever you like or for the city to allow your college to let you bring it on campus and park it there.

At a personal level, for you, it may make sense for you to buy a car. However at a community level for the city, it is stupid to let you park your car wherever you like or for the city to allow your college to let you bring it on campus and park it there.
    Sure if there were enough spaces in the college the problem would be solved, by your reasoning if people werent allowed park there then they would just illegally park even more than they currently do.

Sure if there were enough spaces in the college the problem would be solved, by your reasoning if people werent allowed park there then they would just illegally park even more than they currently do.

Hmmmm it might be useful if you had a read of this thread

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056420483

Hmmmm it might be useful if you had a read of this thread

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056420483
    Well done :rolleyes:. I've read the thread smartarse, my point is that you said they shouldnt be allowed park in college at all, what would that solve?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 31,117 ✭✭✭✭snubbleste

Well done :rolleyes:. I've read the thread smartarse, my point is that you said they shouldnt be allowed park in college at all, what would that solve?

Students would then be forced to look at alternatives such as car-pooling, cycling, public transport etc.

• Advertisement

snubbleste wrote: »
    Students would then be forced to look at alternatives such as car-pooling, cycling, public transport etc.
    But sure theres still going to be a large number who can afford to drive and would need parking.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 31,117 ✭✭✭✭snubbleste

But sure theres still going to be a large number who can afford to drive and would need parking.

What's that got to do with it? If there is no parking, then there is no point bringing a car. You will be forced to look at alternatives.

What's that got to do with it? If there is no parking, then there is no point bringing a car. You will be forced to look at alternatives.
    But sure why should one section of society not be allowed park where they attend? Should businesses get rid of their carpark if a minority park illegally elsewhere?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,156 ✭✭✭Iwannahurl

Im a student living in Galway and getting to GMIT from Knocknacarra would be a joke without my car.

Why?

(BTW, would I be correct in estimating the distance at about 10 km?)

But sure why should one section of society not be allowed park where they attend? Should businesses get rid of their carpark if a minority park illegally elsewhere?

GMIT is not under any obligation to provide parking, and they only have so much space anyway.

The more parking spaces that are provided, the more cars will arrive to fill them. Attracting more cars just places a greater burden on GMIT in terms of providing and maintaining parking facilities presumably.

Iwannahurl wrote: »
    GMIT is not under any obligation to provide parking, and they only have so much space anyway.

The more parking spaces that are provided, the more cars will arrive to fill them. Attracting more cars just places a greater burden on GMIT in terms of providing and maintaining parking facilities presumably.
    Cant disagree with that at all, im not advocating everyone taking a single car, my point was why would they remove all parking facilities when there are people there who park correctly and legally.

Cant disagree with that at all, im not advocating everyone taking a single car, my point was why would they remove all parking facilities when there are people there who park correctly and legally.

Maybe they have better uses in mind for the space?

Or maybe they don't want to be in the business of car-park management?

• Registered Users Posts: 29,509 ✭✭✭✭randylonghorn

And when those aren't viable options, what do you suggest?

Stay at home and sign on the dole?

But sure why should one section of society not be allowed park where they attend? Should businesses get rid of their carpark

Yes. If you go to the Netherlands, Denmark, Germany some UK cities (Oxford and Cambridge have been mentioned) etc planners will place strict limits on the availability of parking at some locations. What parking is left will be priced at a level that ensures high turnover. Its one of the reasons why their cities work and ours are traffic choked toilets.

And when those aren't viable options, what do you suggest?

Stay at home and sign on the dole?

How do you think countries like the Netherlands made these viable options? If owning a car is the price of social participation then that makes us an utter failure as a country.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 29,509 ✭✭✭✭randylonghorn

How do you think countries like the Netherlands made these viable options?
    They provided good infrastructure: good public transport, good park & ride, etc., etc. I wouldn't be that familiar with the Netherlands tbh, but I'm familiar with what has been done elsewhere in Europe, and I'm fully in favour, don't get me wrong. In fact, read my first post on this thread.

But you picked it up in your next sentence: public transport and infrastructural planning planning in this country is well-nigh an utter failure. And simply banning cars and saying "let them look to public transport" when for many any sane kind of public transport option doesn't exist in this country just echoes Marie Antoinette's famous "let them eat cake!"

But you picked it up in your next sentence: public transport and infrastructural planning planning in this country is well-nigh an utter failure. And simply banning cars and saying "let them look to public transport" when for many any sane kind of public transport option doesn't exist in this country just echoes Marie Antoinette's famous "let them eat cake!"

Yes but you can't have one without the other. You cannot have a viable mass public transport system, or cycling as a mass form of transport or walking as a mass form of transport if you are also trying to promote, and prioritising, unrestricted car use as a mass form of transport.

For the last 10-15 years, possibly longer, people who were trying to promote alternatives were being told "buy cars let you" by the sniggering "Maura-Anthonies" that pass for Irish planners and roads engineers.

PS That actually happened btw. Ten years ago a colleague had officials laugh in her face when she tried to talk about walking as a form of transport at a council transport committee. Because "everyone knows walking is not a form of transport"

PS That actually happened btw. Ten years ago a colleague had officials laugh in her face when she tried to talk about walking as a form of transport at a council transport committee. Because "everyone knows walking is not a form of transport"

FFS.

Any chance at all that was minuted?

Iwannahurl wrote: »
    Im a student living in Galway and getting to GMIT from Knocknacarra would be a joke without my car.

Why?

(BTW, would I be correct in estimating the distance at about 10 km?)

It's 8km. It would be a joke because i would have to take two busses to get to college in the morning and the same to get home in the evening. I've done it once or twice and waiting in the rain for a bus that is twenty minutes late is beyond annoying. Don't see why I should have to.

It's 8km. It would be a joke because i would have to take two busses to get to college in the morning and the same to get home in the evening. I've done it once or twice and waiting in the rain for a bus that is twenty minutes late is beyond annoying. Don't see why I should have to.
    Therein lies the problem in Galway, public transport just isn't efficient enough to be a reliable mode of transport for the majority. I personally get the bus in and out of GMIT 5 days a week but i live in town so it isn't as much of an issue and the GMIT route is the most serviced in the city(although delays and buses not showing up happens everyday too). If public transport to outlying towns was more frequent and at better times then people would have a choice but as it stands the car is the easiest form of transport for most people.

I never said I wanted to be allowed to park my car wherever I liked. I don't agree with people parking in housing estates. When I can't get parking in the college carpark I go to Galwegians rugby club and park there as the college has an agreement with rugby club.
    Of course I should be allowed bring my car to college, the same way other people bring their cars to work.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,971 ✭✭✭what_traffic

I think the real joke is that there is not a direct bus service over the Quincentenary bridge serving GMIT from Knocknacarra/The Westside of the City and vice/versa.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,280 ✭✭✭Unrealistic

softmee wrote: »
    Ok, I agree that public transport is a nightmare here -alright and I was talking about students living in Galway.
    What is really stupid IMO - taking a loan for car when you are a student! rolleyes.gif Thats pure stupidity!
    I think the point is one of the mentality that sees nothing wrong with taking out a loan to fund a luxury (and for 95% of students a car is a luxury rather than a necessity) rather than saving until you can afford that luxury. It is that same mentality that brought our country to the sorry state it currently finds itself in. "I haven't saved for it and I can't afford it but I want it and I deserve it."
    I did the same distance on a bicycle to secondary school in Galway pretty much every day from third year to sixth year. Sure it's not as comfortable as driving but it is another realistic option. If I had gone to third level in Galway I'm sure I would have been cycling there as well but I ended up in another part of the country instead (and walking 25 minutes to college every day, rain or shine).

About 30 minutes by bike in my experience.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,420 ✭✭✭kabakuyu

I never said I wanted to be allowed to park my car wherever I liked. I don't agree with people parking in housing estates. When I can't get parking in the college carpark I go to Galwegians rugby club and park there as the college has an agreement with rugby club.
    Of course I should be allowed bring my car to college, the same way other people bring their cars to work.

I am glad to see you use the Galwegians parking facilities but unfortunately there is still a cohort of students who continue to park in local estates.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement