Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Occupy Galway Group (mod note added)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,210 ✭✭✭✭JohnCleary

Hopefully the fire brigade go down and hose them outta it.

Who'll pay for their call-out? :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,986 ✭✭✭✭mikemac

Well they have to keep themselves occupied, GAAW have not a lot to do these days

Probably the same people

• Registered Users Posts: 2,985 ✭✭✭skelliser

3 years to late!

bailouts happened in 2008!

• Registered Users Posts: 343 ✭✭cheesemaker

See you all budget day. I trust you won't be having a 'pointless' moan online about it.

Your Income tax is going up
    Your Universal social charge
    Your Pension levy
    Your Water charges, followed by privatising Ireland's supply
    Your Household tax
    Kiss bye bye to your job & wages if you work for the state
    More cuts for your children's school and our record breaking hospital
    I hope you're not planning on sending your kids to college, if they've already been I hope you know how to work skype.
    Oh they'll cut social welfare too but that's grand, sure it was them that wrecked the country.
    ESB, Eirgrid, Board na Mona Coilte we're flogging them too, not for jobs for family though.

Along with everything above all that is going to the banks.

Over €70 million this month, 700,000,000 at the start of next month. A drop in the ocean over the next 30 years.

Feck it though, I thought it would be good to find some common ground and start from there but I think Il wait till there are protester out who I agree with on absolutely everything. There will only be about 70 billion sucked out of the country by then. No half as costly as a fire brigade call out you see.

no need for the lecture!

alot of people myself included flagged this things when they were announced, myself especially NAMA.
    but of course they were ignored.

Its great that your protesting but its way too late.
    were was this protest before the election, lisbon 2 etc?

tis only now when people are starting to feel the pain in there pockets do they sit up and look around.

The bailouts have failed anyways so these protests are pointless. Its a insolvency issue not liquidity.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,391 ✭✭✭inisboffin

Ficheall wrote: »
    inisboffin wrote: »
    Just wondering how you know it is always 'the same group' at every protest, unless you too are at it and talking to people themselves? Is it by the 'look' of people you're assuming they're all the same type?
    To be honest I find that pretty closed minded in itself.

If people want to protest something or feel strongly enough aboutan issue, why not just do it for those reasons, and not for who you are or aren't 'seen associated with.

To be fair, it very often is the same group at every protest.
    And it's quite reasonable to consider who one is seen or associated with. There's a bit of "boy who cried wolf" about those who protest at the drop of a hat, or social welfare payment as the case may be, and one is certainly justified in not wanting to let those people think that one approves of their actions. I'm sure there were plenty of well-intentioned protestors at the outset of the London riots, for example, but I wouldn't to be associated with any of that crowd.

I'm sure there is a crossover at a lot of 'protests'. I'm sure there are a few who are p*seed off at everything. My point is though, that it's crazy to assume every single person on every single protest is the same or indeed there for the same reason. We can be very sheep like at times. Remember the abortion referendum? There were plenty of people protesting and indeed voting the same way, but for very different reasons. Again, if you feel strongly enough to protest, it shouldn't matter to your personal views who you stand next to, if you have the same aim. If you disagree with *how* the protest is staged, then organise one your own way, no?

oh and not to be accused of moaning and whinging here is my solution/protest.

Its pretty simple actually.

Instead of occupying streets in ireland and copying the yanks and marching around in circles, why not have an irish take on it.

Occupy NAMA houses!!

You know those ghost estates, why not march up to the estate with a couple of hundred people who are on social housing lists. Enter the premises.
    Fix them up, get ESB connections etc. and then block the entrances with your little camps.

The onus will then be on the developers and NAMA to call the Gaurds and arrest everyone for trespass.

Would it come to that? a gov agency, NAMA, owned by us dragging people outta of derelict and worthless houses? explain the justice in that Mr. Kenny!!

• Registered Users Posts: 91 ✭✭Keyser Söze

I only read the comments people have thanked, waste of time and effort reading the rest.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,741 ✭✭✭Irishgoatman

There are, IMO, some really weird views being posted here.

My Daughter and her Husband have gone to Galway to join the protest.
    They are not left wing, not students, not hippies just 2 people who think that the people who put this country into the financial mess that we now have should take responsibility for it.

Bankers, property developers including T.D's who owe banks millions of euros that will, probably never be re-paid, and at the same time received large bonuses/pensions.

People, including musicians, who register their company abroad to avoid paying tax here or claim crazy amounts on expenses.

I, by the way, am considered, quite rightly, to be very right wing.

All those who think that what THOSE people did to the country is acceptable please stand up. I hope you won't be too lonely.

My Daughter, by the way, has 3 children all of whom are now unemployed and this is another concern for her and myself.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,967 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

In fairness, I don't think they make Eyre Square smell any worse than it usually does.

Fairly small group (maybe 20-30 people). About 6-8 dome-style tents, all pitched together in the area near the Browne Doorway, at the top of the steps with a bit of wall behind them. Making them just across the road from Supermacs. If they don't pack up by 10pm, then I'll be surprised. And if they're still there at 2am they'll get hell.

Mostly student / crusty types, I didn't spot anyone who looked old enough to have grandchildren, or adult children.

Home made posters all over the wall around the doorway - pic attached. (I decided not to take any of the tents / people - I'm no journalist.)

2011-10-15%25252018.05.04.jpg

My own take on this: people actually need to take responsibility for their own actions. Yes the banks / property developers / politicians / etc did some wrong things. But so did individuals who signed up to loans that they couldn't afford, without thinking about the consequences if they lost their jobs or if interest rates rose. (And yes, I do know people who had to resist pressure from bank officers keen to make loan targets ... the smart ones had no difficulty doing it.)

Taking responsibility is not popular here: it's always someone else's fault, the Vikings, the British, the church, the banks, the council, the travellers, etc etc.

I'll be a bit more sympathetic when I hear individuals saying "I fcuked up: I need to face the consequences". So far am not hearing that pretty much anywhere.

An re the idea of occupying ghost estate: it appears it's not even illegal, so the guards won't be able to do anything if the squatter plays their cards right.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,034 ✭✭✭Ficheall

One of their posters instructs people to "google it" to find out what out the protest is about... :rolleyes:

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 12,333 ✭✭✭✭JONJO THE MISER

One of their posters instructs people to "google it" to find out what out the protest is about... :rolleyes:

Doesnt surprise me, half these people dont know there arse from there elbow, a good kick up the arse is what they would want.

While I a see a certain nod to kicking apathy out the door there, I'd have to agree that it would be no harm to post some more info about what the people *there* want, or even "ask US".

JustMary wrote: »
    I

Mostly student / crusty types, I didn't spot anyone who looked old enough to have grandchildren.

I popped up earlier today. Definitely some 'hippies' ;) but I saw about 1/3 older folks and a 'straighter' demographic. Think as evening wears on the crowd got younger.

• Registered Users Posts: 343 ✭✭cheesemaker

It's like a UFO just landed and all the apes are running round scratching their heads waiting for the door to open. It's obvious what "they" want. Same as what Wall St, Dame St and every other one around the world want.

They want better. What is the point of sneering at people for it?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

Think as evening wears on the crowd got younger.
    Do tell me when An Taisce write a letter complaining about this mess to the Galway papers. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,325 ✭✭✭Eviledna

JustMary wrote: »
    Taking responsibility is not popular here: it's always someone else's fault, the Vikings, the British, the church, the banks, the council, the travellers, etc etc.

I'll be a bit more sympathetic when I hear individuals saying "I fcuked up: I need to face the consequences". So far am not hearing that pretty much anywhere.
    I gotta say, I find this a very prejudiced and unfair view. Those who are taking the pay cuts and paying the taxes and putting up with the lesser services best they can are the ones facing the consequences, not only for their own actions, but for others actions too.
    There is a reason why we are slowly regaining the respect of the international community, the lack of pointless self-soothing protest has meant we have gotten the IMF bailout we needed and are making progress in meeting the terms, why we rid ourselves of the tyranny of the last government and elected a better more capable government that is prepared to lie in the poop-stained bed the last one left us all to clean up. There are millions of ordinary Irish people suffering through day by day making the best of this very bad situation, taking the responsibility and the cuts that come with it, and trucking on, starting businesses and trying to create jobs or taking any job going, all with barely two cents to rub together.

It's incredibly unfair to say we are blaming anyone else, ffs the banks,church, travellers and council of which you speak are all Irish. They are our problems to face together and like the black sheep cousin who's in jail again, it's time for us all to get together and bail him out. But this is our home, our mess to clean up and I think as a country and a group of only 4.5ish million people we are doing our best.

It's a credit to the nature of our democracy that these folks can protest about what they believe in and I hope they can make a difference, but Ireland has elbow-greased itself out of many bad times before, and we'll get there again.

Sometimes we have to appreciate the positives about us as a people too.

While I a see a certain nod to kicking apathy out the door there, I'd have to agree that it would be no harm to post some more info about what the people *there* want, or even "ask US".

I wasn't referring to that at all - moreso the fact they're advocating the use of the services of those horribly wealthy multi-national companies.
    A bit like the guy on posting on their facewank about how great Steve Jobs was. Not that I'm not saying Jobs wasn't great, but they could easily have used someone like Dennis Ritchie who also died, somewhat overshadowed by Jobs, during the week. Ritchie was one of the main developers of C and Unix, and surely more in keeping with the slightly "communist" view they seem to be trying to promote.
    It's obvious what "they" want. Same as what Wall St, Dame St and every other one around the world want.
    They want better. What is the point of sneering at people for it?

Better what? Better cars? Better tents? Better weather? Without some sort of demands or wishes, they're just protesting for protesting's sake, and thus provide no incentive to anyone to try to do anything to appease them, as they can and will always say that it is not enough - because it won't be.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

The only people I can see not wanting to protest would be the people in the red line below.

0cc6a.jpg

Really? The turnout at these events would suggest otherwise.

I reckon most people either can't identify with this group or feel there are other ways to protest/express their dissatisfaction using the systems already in place.

To denote only rich folk aren't happy with the status quo is unfounded. It's that kind of attitude that alienates these protests.

• Advertisement

So what would the protestors like then, do you reckon, biko? Would they like the red line to be at the same level as all the others?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,337 ✭✭✭Dave Joyce

Wow, talk about generalising:rolleyes: How do the "experts" on this forum KNOW what exactly ALL of this protest group want??? I'd say it would be safe to say that there are a range of viewpoints/objectives contained within that group. However, at least they are out in public showing that they do actually ACT even if a lot of them are hippies, crusties, students......ammmm what grouping did I leave out???

JustMary, while I totally agree with you that those who were irresponsible enough to accept loans/credit way over what they could afford SHOULD face up to the fact this they have themselves to blame for THEIR own mess BUT I know plenty of people who paid WAY OVER THE ODDS for their homes, COULD afford it at the time but are NOW facing a lower/no income and probably the worst thing of all, NEGATIVE EQUITY and they are most DEFINATELY not to blame for that crap.
    I gotta say, I find this a very prejudiced and unfair view. Those who are taking the pay cuts and paying the taxes and putting up with the lesser services best they can are the ones facing the consequences, not only for their own actions, but for others actions too.
    There is a reason why we are slowly regaining the respect of the international community, the lack of pointless self-soothing protest has meant we have gotten the IMF bailout we needed and are making progress in meeting the terms, why we rid ourselves of the tyranny of the last government and elected a better more capable government that is prepared to lie in the poop-stained bed the last one left us all to clean up. There are millions of ordinary Irish people suffering through day by day making the best of this very bad situation, taking the responsibility and the cuts that come with it, and trucking on, starting businesses and trying to create jobs or taking any job going, all with barely two cents to rub together.

Jesus, what must the international community think of us?? FFS, Argentina (granted some time back) and Iceland both defaulted and they're not in as bad a situation as us GOOD:rolleyes: Europeans!!
    There is a reason why we are slowly regaining the respect of the international community, the lack of pointless self-soothing protest has meant we have gotten the IMF bailout we needed and are making progress in meeting the terms, why we rid ourselves of the tyranny of the last government and elected a better more capable government that is prepared to lie in the poop-stained bed the last one left us all to clean up.

And YOU are naive in the EXTREME if you THINK that the current bluffing, BSing bunch of liars are ANY better than what went before them. ALREADY they are showing their true colours with the amount of lies they've told!!!!!!
    They are our problems to face together and like the black sheep cousin who's in jail again, it's time for us all to get together and bail him out.

Bullsheet and bullocks to that crap! Fuk Mick Wallace, Mike Burke, Harry and all the rest of the wankbags who put us in this mess with THEIR greed.
    It's a credit to the nature of our democracy that these folks can protest about what they believe in

ARE YOU SERIOUS?????!!!!! I think EvilTED would be more appropriate than Eviledna http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DukZxJ4wS4A&feature=related

I have the feeling that Justmary probably walked past the protesters on the other side of the street.

You say you didn't see anyone old enough to have grown up children or grandchildren? My Daughter, who I said is down there, has 4 children, and 3 grandchildren, so on my Daughters' behalf I thank you for paying her a compliment.

I don't think you quite understand what it is really all about.

With regard to many of the other posts here it really is such a shame that the people writing them have such a restricted vocabulary that they have to use insults and foul language to try to make some point or other.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 12,333 ✭✭✭✭JONJO THE MISER

On facebook there looking for people to give them food if they can.
    I wonder if someone brought them some supermacs would they accept it?
    I would assume not since they are against these evil corporatons

Dave Joyce wrote: »

ARE YOU SERIOUS?????!!!!! I think EvilTED would be more appropriate than Eviledna http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DukZxJ4wS4A&feature=related

Way to attack the poster and not the post there Dave :rolleyes:

Was just highlighting it's a positive that we live in a country that we can protest about the injustices we feel. My point is that many people don't immediately identify with this kind of sit-in protest mechanism, and seek alternate ways to change the system.

For that view, comparing me to some subservient elderly male farmer with mild homosexual tenencies in a comedy sketch is a tad ott donchathink?

On facebook there looking for people to give them food if they can.
    I wonder if someone brought them some supermacs would they accept it?
    I would assume not since they are against these evil corporatons

I can only speak for my Daughter and her Husband, but I can assure you that they will certainly not be looking for food handouts.
    Also they are not against all corporations.
    They are against the speculators who can be the cause of price rises in many cases, the building boom was one such instance, and they are against people getting payments way out of proportion to their worth just so a company board can have a retired/ex TD's name on their letterhead.
    This type of thing does lead to price increases because the money has to come from somewhere and it is usually from us, the consumer, regardless of whether we are retired pensioners or minimum wage earners.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,892 ✭✭✭Head The Wall

I know plenty of people who paid WAY OVER THE ODDS for their homes, COULD afford it at the time but are NOW facing a lower/no income

It's a bit stupid of people to buy something that they know is overpriced regardless of whether they could afford it at the time or not.

Plenty of people didn't buy overpriced crap.

and probably the worst thing of all, NEGATIVE EQUITY and they are most DEFINATELY not to blame for that crap.

]

Sorry but i gotta take issue with this.

You are only in negative equity if you are selling your house.

Remember that line "investments may rise and fall"

• Registered Users Posts: 18 mcnutt

i'm in galway. do I Occupy galway?!!
    GODAM i'm in this by proxy.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 25,967 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

They're still there now. Steam or smoke (i couldn't tell which) rising from outside one tent.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement