Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Occupy Galway Group (mod note added)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,985 ✭✭✭skelliser

Occupying a ghost estate, tidying it up, finishing it off as much as possible and then using it as a home for yourselves or others struggling with rent or mortgage or whatever would be an interesting protest.

It would force attention from the developer, the banks, NAMA etc.

precisely!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 865 ✭✭✭FlashD

It would force attention from the developer, the banks, NAMA etc.

Would it really?

I thought they were too busy screwing the poor.

• Registered Users Posts: 343 ✭✭cheesemaker

skelliser wrote: »
    The IMF have been made out to be the boogey men in all this but if you have been following events you can clearly so that its been our so called "partners" in europe who are screwing us, the ECB and Sarkozy especially.

Have you ever heard of good cop, bad cop? Or perhaps Stockholm syndrome...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 232 ✭✭eire.man

There are lots of jobs available in town, waiter/waitress, customer service representative, driver to name but a few which are advertised in this weeks Galway Advertiser. If you got off your high horse in the square you might see them. Drives me mad when people say there are no jobs, there are, you just have to be willing to work. That would also help your 'no money' issue too. You should hop over to the Advertiser office today and then you will be well on your way back into the mainstream and out of your camp.

sound Biko ;)

as thanks antobrian, flashd (your response was especially heartening, your idea **** out at home is to up sticks and leave!! speechless!!), ben.sch', i'm actually illiterate and don't get to read the advertiser myself (*can you hear the sarcasm?? thought I'd point that out as you'd be amazed how some people can mistake sarcasm for honesty online lol) thanks for the tip off bud :) fyi i am awaiting confirmation of a job I more than likely have in the bag (thanks to decent references) and this is the closest I've got to getting work since 2nd week of March 2009! I haven't even received a call back from any application, cold calling, emails, cv drops and other than sitting on shop at with a "will work for food sign" i don't know what else I can do. fyi 2 ; I am a resourceful guy who has worked many very different jobs down through the years and even today I have a couple of days acting b4 xmas for a tg4 show going out in 2012, promoting club nights that I DJ at (when I can get a venue that is!!), djing on a radio station every week to keep my music side of business alive between gigs that are very few and far between, even when they do the money isnt there to get anything decent for playing birthday parties, dance nights etc!! I'm a music producer but that's more a labour of love right now as I'm still only 2 years at it. I apply for a wide variety of jobs all the time, advertiser, fas, chatting to potential leads etc. Have you any ideas what else I could be doing right now to find work eh?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,711 ✭✭✭Redhairedguy

This protest is farce. For the small minority who know why they're there and show clarity in their views, they are outweighed by the freeloaders and wasters who are more than happy to sit around in their drum circles until it's time to collect their dole.

There are countless jobs all over Galway at the moment, especially coming up to Christmas. It's as FlashD said, there is a haughtiness in our unemployed that certain jobs are beneath us. Sure, no one wants to clean a toilet for a living but jesus christ it's a friggin' job! I know a guy who has been unemployed so long that he genuinely doesn't remember what a days work feels like. Yet he sits around whining and moping, spouting the same shít I hear in Eyre Square.

I don't want to come across as holier-than-thou but in the 18 months when I was unemployed, I learned lots of new skills by working for free and taking up hobbies which motivated me to constantly be out and about looking for work. If my attitude sucked at that time, I'd probably still be unemployed and living in the epi-centre of that stinking shanty town.

• Advertisement

galwayrush wrote: »
    You want business help? I thought that was a principle you were protesting against?

we've actually got great support from both local people businesses who have been regularly dropping food/soups/Indian cuisine/cakes they've baked themselves/tea/coffee/blankets/milk to those there full-time!!

back to the main point, we are not protesting against businesses at all, we only asking for the 1%'s to look after 100% of us and not the investment banks/politicians/bond holders/big gamblers (Sean Quinn, Fitzpatrick, Drum and all the rest of the inner circle to name a few local concerns!!) who are up to their necks in debt! does it not annoy you that those in the 99% who owe small amounts in comparison to the big fish are getting crucified yet when ya owe monumental amounts you get bailed out and some even get landed prime positions in new quangos to scam us all when we're being kept down under the 1%'s thumbs
    You don't have answers so, why would he go down and join when you won't answer basic sensible questions that people ask. It's a bit ironic to call him a moaner when your own protest is a big moan as well

To me it looks like you don't represent the 99% at all, maybe 1% of it.

see reply above ^^^^^

This protest is farce. For the small minority who know why they're there and show clarity in their views, they are outweighed by the freeloaders and wasters who are more than happy to sit around in their drum circles until it's time to collect their dole.

There are countless jobs all over Galway at the moment, especially coming up to Christmas. It's as FlashD said, there is a haughtiness in our unemployed that certain jobs are beneath us. Sure, no one wants to clean a toilet for a living but jesus christ it's a friggin' job! I know a guy who has been unemployed so long that he genuinely doesn't remember what a days work feels like. Yet he sits around whining and moping, spouting the same shít I hear in Eyre Square.

I don't want to come across as holier-than-thou but in the 18 months when I was unemployed, I learned lots of new skills by working for free and taking up hobbies which motivated me to constantly be out and about looking for work. If my attitude sucked at that time, I'd probably still be unemployed and living in the epi-centre of that stinking shanty town.

I haven't even heard back from internships I've applied for and what would you say if the job I'm waiting to bag is actually a cleaning job 5/6 days a week 6am to 12 midday. (I'll post a couple of photos to prove my new job cleaning while holding a sign saying hello to you all)

I couldn't believe it when ya pulled that old chestnut out, some fcuking coincidence that hahaha

now can you stop attacking me as if I am a lazy cnut and come down from your high horse or have we really become that begrudging of a nation we are not even allowed protest?

if people were half as quick to point their angers at the 1% we could all go home and not be occupying in the freezing cold!!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,711 ✭✭✭Redhairedguy

eire.man wrote: »
    what would you say if the job I'm waiting to bag is actually a cleaning job 5/6 days a week 6am to 12 midday.

I would say fair play, and wish you the best of luck in getting the job.
    now can you stop attacking me as if I am a lazy cnut and come down from your high horse or have we really become that begrudging of a nation we are not even allowed protest?

Nah, I ain't attacking you personally. I'm talking about the people who are actually lazy cúnts and whine about their situation whilst doing fúck all productive to change it.

And regarding my high horse, they're rather expensive to get in the first place so if you'll excuse me, I'll just keep working to keep it in sugar lumps and saddles and riding it most weekends at polo competitions. Its name is Captain Blueberry btw.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,053 ✭✭✭WallyGUFC

I haven't even heard back from internships I've applied for and what would you say if the job I'm waiting to bag is actually a cleaning job 5/6 days a week 6am to 12 midday. (I'll post a couple of photos to prove my new job cleaning while holding a sign saying hello to you all)

I couldn't believe it when ya pulled that old chestnut out, some fcuking coincidence that hahaha

if people were half as quick to point their angers at the 1% we could all go home and not be occupying in the freezing cold!!

Sorry, but that is absolute, complete, 100% nonsensical b*llocks. What planet are you on, seriously like? The 1%, don't make me laugh. Surely to God you can see that with what, 20 tents in the square, that YOU are the tiny tint minority? Honest question, what do you think this rubbish will achieve? Sitting in the Square all day, every day just comes across as lazy to me. Get a job and stop making yourselves out to be the 99% when sweet f*ck all other people agree with you!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,163 ✭✭✭✭ben.schlomo

sound Biko ;)

as thanks antobrian, flashd (your response was especially heartening, your idea **** out at home is to up sticks and leave!! speechless!!), ben.sch', i'm actually illiterate and don't get to read the advertiser myself (*can you hear the sarcasm?? thought I'd point that out as you'd be amazed how some people can mistake sarcasm for honesty online lol) thanks for the tip off bud :) fyi i am awaiting confirmation of a job I more than likely have in the bag (thanks to decent references) and this is the closest I've got to getting work since 2nd week of March 2009! I haven't even received a call back from any application, cold calling, emails, cv drops and other than sitting on shop at with a "will work for food sign" i don't know what else I can do. fyi 2 ; I am a resourceful guy who has worked many very different jobs down through the years and even today I have a couple of days acting b4 xmas for a tg4 show going out in 2012, promoting club nights that I DJ at (when I can get a venue that is!!), djing on a radio station every week to keep my music side of business alive between gigs that are very few and far between, even when they do the money isnt there to get anything decent for playing birthday parties, dance nights etc!! I'm a music producer but that's more a labour of love right now as I'm still only 2 years at it. I apply for a wide variety of jobs all the time, advertiser, fas, chatting to potential leads etc. Have you any ideas what else I could be doing right now to find work eh?
    Jesus if thats your attempt at sarcasm you may want to go back and re-read the post and accompanying tale you had with it. You must be very unemployable if you havent gotten a sniff of a job in 2 and a half years by the way, its more divine intervention than my help you should be asking for.
    On another point if ye think ye have questions that need answering but dont trust politicians why dont ye organise yourselves into some political entity and get out of the square and then let the '99%' have their democratic say on ye at the next opportunity.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,153 ✭✭✭Shakti

In an effort to reduce the debt I propose a new word tax.
    Sustainable €5000
    Unsustainable €7500
    Economy €5000
    'Our European partners' €10,000
    'Our partners in Europe' €50,000 (added slippery tax AST)

and anyone who says 'get a job' should be made give their job to the person they just said it to.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,163 ✭✭✭✭ben.schlomo

Shakti wrote: »
    In an effort to reduce the debt I propose a new word tax.
    Sustainable €5000
    Unsustainable €7500
    Economy €5000
    'Our European partners' €10,000
    'Our partners in Europe' €50,000 (added slippery tax AST)

and anyone who says 'get a job' should be made give their job to the person they just said it to.
    And anyone mentioning '1%' should get their tent and go home.

Between the drawing of breath might we make space for this

• Registered Users Posts: 415 ✭✭shampoosuicide

word on the street is that they're not budging for the christmas market. bad move, imo. or non-move as it were. whatever sympathy they've been getting is going to disappear pretty fast if they don't cop on on that one.

• Registered Users Posts: 343 ✭✭cheesemaker

Heard the opposite. They will do everything to accommodate the market and move to a space in the square not in use.
    Don't believe everything Michael Crowe tells you.

Heard the opposite. They will do everything to accommodate the market and move to a space in the square not in use.
    Don't believe everything Michael Crowe tells you.

my source is pretty reliable.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,885 ✭✭✭PomBear

811small.png

• Closed Accounts Posts: 46 samuelj

regardless of what your feelings towards the current government and the situation with the banks I personally think you would have to have a screw lose to think that a protest like this in Galway of all places will have any effect on anything or anyone's thinking.

Its a complete waste of time IMO, its an inconvenience to people, thats it full stop.

Instead of sitting in a tent come up with solutions because sitting in a tent your a problem, not a solution.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,741 ✭✭✭Irishgoatman

my source is pretty reliable.

Cheesemaker is right.

My source is 100% reliable. It's from my Daughter who is part of the camp.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,741 ✭✭✭Irishgoatman

samuelj wrote: »
    regardless of what your feelings towards the current government and the situation with the banks I personally think you would have to have a screw lose to think that a protest like this in Galway of all places will have any effect on anything or anyone's thinking.

Its a complete waste of time IMO, its an inconvenience to people, thats it full stop.

Instead of sitting in a tent come up with solutions because sitting in a tent your a problem, not a solution.

Does this thought apply to the thousands all around the world who are doing this or is it just the Galway group that you are anti towards?

• Advertisement

Cheesemaker is right.

we'll see.

samuelj wrote: »

What are your solutions?

I'm sure they have plenty of solutions, which says more than the people giving out about them

• Registered Users Posts: 6,773 ✭✭✭connemara man

I have no problem with the protest

but i wonder would they relocate to the area outside the galway advertiser so the christmas market that will hire a load of people who need jobs can be undisturbed. As i see it if you are a hindrance to someone working you are then an extra problem in their lives on top of all the things that have been brought about by bad banks, dodgey government, cronyism and all that.

• Registered Users Posts: 48 galway23

PomBear wrote: »
    What are your solutions?

I'm sure they have plenty of solutions, which says more than the people giving out about them

Seriously??? they have solutions? if they did i'd love to hear them, all they seem to be doing is wasting their time sitting on their a*ses doing nothing while lots of people who work and therefore actually contribute to the economy walk passed them on their lunch breaks. give it a rest they're wasters, plain and simple, lots of ways to contribute to the country but what they are doing is not one of them

• Registered Users Posts: 112 ✭✭hippygran

Cheesemaker is right.

we'll see.

Your source obviously isnt anyone who has actually talked to the camp. We have had some great chats with the market organiser and the market will go ahead as planned. There has been compromise on both sides and a mutually agreeable solution has been arrived at.
    I have only now joined boards to look at this thread and am surprised at the level of nastiness from some posters. You are obviously not coming down to chat with the camp because we only get one negative person every couple of days at most and they often go away supporting us. Please come down in person if you dont understand, dont attack us from behind your keyboard.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,991 ✭✭✭Pen Rua

A post on their Facebook page is saying a media/press release will be made after their 1pm Assembly today (Sunday, Nov. 13th) dealing with their "current situation and use them as a starting point for discussion". Presumably there will be an "official" announcement on their intentions for the Market.

galway23 wrote: »
    Seriously??? they have solutions? if they did i'd love to hear them, all they seem to be doing is wasting their time sitting on their a*ses doing nothing while lots of people who work and therefore actually contribute to the economy walk passed them on their lunch breaks. give it a rest they're wasters, plain and simple, lots of ways to contribute to the country but what they are doing is not one of them

You didn't spend much time finding out before you assumed they didn't have solutions

you're saying they all don't have jobs? and you're also saying they could find jobs if they went looking? I'm guessing you haven't been on the job hunt recently.....

• Registered Users Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

PomBear wrote: »
    You didn't spend much time finding out before you assumed they didn't have solutions

In fairness that is the perception that is coming across and I haven't seen anything to argue with that. Maybe you can?

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 865 ✭✭✭FlashD

Why should the christmas market be the sole occupiers? It's a public space.

Have a heart, times are tough, there's room in the square for everyone this christmas.

• Advertisement

The banks are pocketing the ECB interest rate reduction and some people wonder why these people are protesting? also the solution is obvious ie. stop fcuking the country you greedy bsatards.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement