Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Occupy Galway Group (mod note added)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 48 galway23

PomBear wrote: »
    You didn't spend much time finding out before you assumed they didn't have solutions

you're saying they all don't have jobs? and you're also saying they could find jobs if they went looking? I'm guessing you haven't been on the job hunt recently.....

The only reason I assumed they dont have solutions is because I havent heard them nor do they seem to make them known at the camp

What are their solutions? I would love to hear them because if they could worrk then it would be great

I only enquired if they had jobs because if they do they must have very understanding employers. Also i never said they should all have jobs, believe me I understand aswell as anyone how hard it is to get a job, but there is plenty of voluntary work that they could partake in which in my opinion would benefit the economy much more.

Please do not quote me as saying things I did not say

• Registered Users Posts: 112 ✭✭hippygran

galway23 wrote: »
    PomBear wrote: »
    You didn't spend much time finding out before you assumed they didn't have solutions

you're saying they all don't have jobs? and you're also saying they could find jobs if they went looking? I'm guessing you haven't been on the job hunt recently.....

The only reason I assumed they dont have solutions is because I havent heard them nor do they seem to make them known at the camp

What are their solutions? I would love to hear them because if they could worrk then it would be great

I only enquired if they had jobs because if they do they must have very understanding employers. Also i never said they should all have jobs, believe me I understand aswell as anyone how hard it is to get a job, but there is plenty of voluntary work that they could partake in which in my opinion would benefit the economy much more.

To my knowledge 2 of the group have jobs, 1 is retired, 1 is a student. I dont know the situation for everybody but they are the ones I know for sure. Some are also unemployed. My husband is waiting for an op on his back which could have been done 2 years ago if the health service wasnt such a mess, instead he takes strong painkillers which have bad side effects and are probably damaging his system.
    The rest of us are looking for work as far as I know.

Pen Rua wrote: »
    A post on their Facebook page is saying a media/press release will be made after their 1pm Assembly today (Sunday, Nov. 13th) dealing with their "current situation and use them as a starting point for discussion". Presumably there will be an "official" announcement on their intentions for the Market.

I think you misread. It says that there will be a press release 'think-in'. This is a workshop in order to stimulate ideas and discussion about the movement and our part in it. It is open to everyone, please go along and join in.

Shakti wrote: »
    The banks are pocketing the ECB interest rate reduction and some people wonder why these people are protesting? also the solution is obvious ie. stop fcuking the country you greedy bsatards.

Very succinctly put! And unfortunately it is the same greedy feckers globally that are messing up the world. There is so much to protest about right now :-(

• Registered Users Posts: 415 ✭✭shampoosuicide

hippygran wrote: »
    Your source obviously isnt anyone who has actually talked to the camp. We have had some great chats with the market organiser and the market will go ahead as planned. There has been compromise on both sides and a mutually agreeable solution has been arrived at.
    I have only now joined boards to look at this thread and am surprised at the level of nastiness from some posters. You are obviously not coming down to chat with the camp because we only get one negative person every couple of days at most and they often go away supporting us. Please come down in person if you dont understand, dont attack us from behind your keyboard.

ok, first of all, would you like to point out where exactly i've attacked the camp?

secondly, i have been down there chatting to a couple of them, actually, thanks.

thirdly, my source is a part of the camp. check-mate. maybe you're not being told the whole story? maybe the story's changed in the last day or two? maybe the camp did cop on? fair play if so. compromise is the way forward.

• Advertisement

ok, first of all, would you like to point out where exactly i've attacked the camp?

secondly, i have been down there chatting to a couple of them, actually, thanks.

thirdly, my source is a part of the camp. check-mate. maybe you're not being told the whole story? maybe the story's changed in the last day or two? maybe the camp did cop on? fair play if so. compromise is the way forward.

Ok, I apologise for suggesting that you personally attacked the camp. I only joined the boards because a friend mentioned this thread and I admit I was quite shaken by the vitriol in some of the comments here. This made me over defensive and I apologise for aiming that at you.
    The camp was quite divided at the beginning over the move, with one or two having very strong views for and against so I guess it possibly depended who you talked to. However, with much discussion both within the camp and with the market organiser a solution was found which, I believe, the majority are happy with. It is a very large space and there is more than enough room for everyone.

• Registered Users Posts: 415 ✭✭shampoosuicide

Ok, I apologise for suggesting that you personally attacked the camp. I only joined the boards because a friend mentioned this thread and I admit I was quite shaken by the vitriol in some of the comments here. This made me over defensive and I apologise for aiming that at you.
    The camp was quite divided at the beginning over the move, with one or two having very strong views for and against so I guess it possibly depended who you talked to. However, with much discussion both within the camp and with the market organiser a solution was found which, I believe, the majority are happy with. It is a very large space and there is more than enough room for everyone.

genuinely glad to hear that, it would have been a shame to let the more extremist types undo all the good work that's been done so far. i understand where you're coming from with the negative comments, that's the internet for you, negative opinions tend to outweigh positive ones but it's not usually an accurate reflection of widespread opinion. for my part i probably shouldn't be spreading hearsay or rumour but it did disappoint me when i heard that. good luck over the christmas

Me again! wrote: »
    It's plain to see that the protestors in eyre square are changing all our lives for the better. In the last few weeks the economy has turned around and it's clear from the G8 summit that world leaders are talking about eyre square and adopting their policies. Michael Noonan is clearly rowing back on the austerity measures. These people have given up their jobs and time to make the world a better place for us. I know that not one of them is claiming a cent from the state during these hard times. Their protest is working. Leave these people alone!!!!!

Nice use of sarcasm. Nobody has given up their jobs to be there, some are working and spending their free time in the camp and the ones that are unemployed would be unemployed whether they were in Eyre Square or at home. Nobody expects that a few people protesting in Eyre Square will change the world but the fact that there are hundreds of thousands protesting all over the world just might! What have we to lose? Corporate greed is ruining the world economy, widening the economic and social inequality and destroying our planet to a point where finances will be the least of our worries in a few short years.
    What other option do we have than to get out in public spaces and make our dissatisfaction known?

genuinely glad to hear that, it would have been a shame to let the more extremist types undo all the good work that's been done so far. i understand where you're coming from with the negative comments, that's the internet for you, negative opinions tend to outweigh positive ones but it's not usually an accurate reflection of widespread opinion. for my part i probably shouldn't be spreading hearsay or rumour but it did disappoint me when i heard that. good luck over the christmas

Thank you. There will of course be people with very strong views, especially in the current climate when there is so much to be angry and afraid of, but one of the main tenets of the occupy movement is that of democracy. Something that is sorely lacking these days. The majority decision will always win out and that will usually be a middle ground based on common sense.
    I spend a lot of time when I am at camp talking to passers by from all walks of life and pretty much everyone is telling us to keep it up and appears to understand what we are doing...that is what keeps us going when we have doubts ourselves.
    With regards to the market itself, I personally love all the lights, carols etc that go with Christmas and am quite looking forward to spending a few weeks with it all around me.

galway23 wrote: »

Surely it is the job of the world leaders to find solutions, not the protesters, that is what they are paid for. As it stands they are allowing the financial situation to spiral downwards whilst all the cuts are being made from the least able to afford them and the planet is being ruined because of the power that corporations have over governments. It is 'profits over people' all the way and that is simply not acceptable to the majority of people.

• Advertisement

bring on the snow....lots and lots of it

ooh yes..snow makes things extra christmassy! If we get enough maybe we can have igloos instead of tents :)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,011 ✭✭✭Tugboats

Can ye not do better than a few tents in Eyre square? GAAW > Occupy Galway. We need an airshow or an invasion of Iran for some entertainment

• Registered Users Posts: 3,956 ✭✭✭Doc Ruby

What other option do we have than to get out in public spaces and make our dissatisfaction known?
    Vote for people who will rein in the corporate monkeys?

Tugboats wrote: »
    Can ye not do better than a few tents in Eyre square? GAAW > Occupy Galway. We need an airshow or an invasion of Iran for some entertainment

lol..looks like you're going to get your invasion of Iran without our help. An airshow would be great but we're hippies don't forget..couldn't possibly advocate such a wasteful use of oil :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,741 ✭✭✭Irishgoatman

Then we can build snowmen, give them the names of politicians, and see if they can do a better job of things?.

They can't do any worse can they!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,741 ✭✭✭Irishgoatman

Doc Ruby wrote: »

Good thinking but when do we get another chance to vote?
    Could be too late by then.

Besides, after F.F. most of us thought that F.G. could be the answer. Who do we try next? (not a serious question because that would go off thread, so please, no suggestions).:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 865 ✭✭✭FlashD

Besides, after F.F. most of us thought that F.G. could be the answer.

In fairness I don't know anyone who thought that.

The way I saw it is most of us just wanted to see the end of ff.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,106 ✭✭✭antoobrien

FlashD wrote: »

Indeed, anybody who has been paying attention to the mess that has been Galway city council over the previous two city councils (3rd year of this one) will have seen what a FG/LAB coalition is good for - nothing.

And yet ff still get the blame for the lack of planning in Galway (when FG/LAB could have blocked them) - go figure

• Closed Accounts Posts: 232 ✭✭eire.man

Doc Ruby wrote: »

and take their bull**** for another 3 years?!? are you for real?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 71 ✭✭Mollie Breathna

antoobrien wrote: »
    Indeed, anybody who has been paying attention to the mess that has been Galway city council over the previous two city councils (3rd year of this one) will have seen what a FG/LAB coalition is good for - nothing.

And yet ff still get the blame for the lack of planning in Galway (when FG/LAB could have blocked them) - go figure

Just so's you know, Anto, the prevailing coalition since 2009 on Galway City Council is made up of 3 FG, 3 FF, 3 IND (former PD) - LAB not involved.

Does that in any way scupper your theory about good-for-nothing-ness?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,106 ✭✭✭antoobrien

Just so's you know, Anto, the prevailing coalition since 2009 on Galway City Council is made up of 3 FG, 3 FF, 3 IND (former PD) - LAB not involved.

Does that in any way scupper your theory about good-for-nothing-ness?

Not at all.

Just pointing out the lack of memory of the bandwagon jumpers (who jumped ship from a certain FF bandwagon)

Who was it that was in charge at the time of the crypto outbreak?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,956 ✭✭✭Doc Ruby

FlashD wrote: »

Pretty much, FF lost rather than FG won. I think FG still believes their victory was due to some mighty and yet heretofore strangely invisible cunning on their part, rather than the other lads shooting their foot off.

http://www.galwaynews.ie/22678-occupy-galway-protestors-agree-move-christmas-market-area
    November 15, 2011 - 7:30am

The Galway Christmas market will go ahead as planned after organisers promised to make a number of concessions to the Occupy Galway protestors in Eyre Square last night.

The protestors have agreed to move their camp a few yards to the north-east corner of the Eyre Square plaza, across from Richardson’s pub, before the market starts on November 25.

However, protestors were yesterday at pains to explain that the move will only happen if the market organisers make good on their promise to deliver key demands to the protest camp.

Occupy Galway’s demands include access to drinking water from the Christmas market supply, the removal of the public bike rack on the plaza and the use of four public benches nearby. In return, the protestors have agreed to work in co-operation with the market organisers, as well as Galway City Council and Gardaí.
    It looks like they will move a short distance - a good PR decision I think. They are lucky the weather is staying so mild.

In other news:
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-15732661
    New York police have dismantled the Occupy Wall Street camp in Zuccotti Park following a late-night raid.

Protesters were woken at 01:00 (06:00 GMT) and ordered to leave, before police began dismantling tents and removing property.

Occupy Wall Street was set up in September to protest against economic inequality and had inspired dozens of similar camps around the world.

A camp in Oakland, California was cleared overnight on Monday.

Police in New York gave an announcement as their operation began, telling protesters: "The city has determined that the continued occupation of Zuccotti Park poses an increasing health and fire safety hazard."
    It looks like they will be allowed to return but not allowed to bring camping gear - ending the sleepover.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

Police in New York gave an announcement as their operation began, telling protesters: "The city has determined that the continued occupation of Zuccotti Park poses an increasing health and fire safety hazard."

unscrambled
    Police in New York gave an announcement as their operation began, telling protesters: "The banks told the mayor that told the commissioner that told the chief that told us to make up some excuse to turf you guys out"

• Registered Users Posts: 9,030 ✭✭✭Lockstep

antoobrien wrote: »

You're dead wrong there. The current City Council is a coalition between FF, FG and the former PDs. Labour is the largest party on the Council and Connolly normally votes with them but they're outvoted 6 to 9.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,153 ✭✭✭Shakti

When are we gonna hear or see something more creative from 'OG'? for instance public speakers/web casts/art or musical protest,concert etc. Because demands, manifestos are all well and good but I think if you limit yourself to that form of discourse/interaction with the public, establishment or media it kind of draws a circle around your group and the general public.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,221 ✭✭✭✭MadYaker

eire.man wrote: »
    for the mods, please dont throw this in amongst the mammoth thread about the occupation as it will inevitably be lost in amongst the many pages of forward and backward comments.

I am hereby asking any business offering wireless broadband internet services to please provide us with a way of offering a video stream to the public and our sister occupations worldwide.

Furthermore if you have any resources we could use to make the occupation during winter that bit easier on us, a generator to provide some power for a laptop, heating etc. Any donation large/small would be treated with the utmost respect and returned the way it was received. We would like to get rid of the pallets that are currently marking out our boundary and maybe erect a stronger/more appealing looking protection against the elements and late night revellers. We could always do with more blankets etc. It's getting very fcuking cold out there lately.

And I hope it gets a lot colder.
    We are trying to build this with the support of you the public and without your support we will most likely just fade into memory and we can all sit back and watch the country fall further down the black-hole of financial terrorism! I don't think anybody realistically wants things to keep getting progressively worse and if we'e all honest with ourselves can you really see our 'leaders' in the Dail doing anything radical that will change things anytime soon. They've already consistently went back on everything they told us they'd do when they got into power, that's an undeniable fact unfortunately! These people are way out of their league and totally disconnected from the reality we live in each and everyday.

You do not have the support of the public, you do not represent the 99%. You are without doubt going to fade into memory and you're occupation is never going to change anything or have any influence whatsoever on the future of our country. I assume by "financial terrorism" you mean the mishandling of public finances by the previous government and the irresponsible lending by some banks. Using terms like that make it hard for people to take you seriously. Also, anyone with half a brain and a basic understanding of economics knew that most of the promises made by politicians would be broken. If you actually thought that it was possible for these promises to be kept then you are an idiot.
    As I said up on site today, this is bigger than any one person and shocking as it may seem, most certainly bigger than Xmas.

Its a few unemployed/homeless people living in tents in eyre square, don't get ahead of yourself. You may feel like you are part of some sort of worldwide movement thats going revolutionise democracy and make the world a better place but in reality in a few months this ridiculous movement will be dead and everyone will have forgotten about it and nothing will have been changed by it, that is the sad reality although it seems your naivety prevents you from seeing that. You may believe otherwise now, but in a few months you will realise that this is the truth.
    I met a lady who used to be best friends with my Mum (passed away in '99) and I couldn't believe when she asked me what I was doing with the crowd of wasters in the Square that should be all out working. I told her very quickly that there was only one reason why none of us were working and even more shockingly she asked why! Cos there's no fcuking jobs now are there! Have people become so disconnected that they're in complete denial? Did it somehow pass over people that we have been reduced to cruel and bitter people to those who are trying to make a change, however small (and strange in some peoples eyes) to begin with.

So you don't have a job. I don't know what thats like as I have never been unemployed but I do hope you realise that this actually gives you an opportunity to help society in a constructive way. Go volunteer with the Simon Community or the St. Vincent De Paul. They are always looking for volunteers to help them and other people, especially during winter. Camping in eyre square doesn't help anyone. The wider community are gradually getting more and more sick and tired of your silly protest and eventually you will be forced to leave.

I want things to change as much as you do but there are 2 main ways to achieve this change. 1: Politics. Vote out the current government in the next election. And 2: Revolution Libya-style. Seems unlikely and would probably do more harm than good.

Your silly protest is somewhere between those 2. Most realistic and sensible people realise that it will achieve nothing.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,333 ✭✭✭death1234567

MadYaker wrote: »
    Your silly protest is somewhere between those 2
    No its somewhere in between moronic and pointless
    MadYaker wrote: »
    Most All realistic and sensible people realise that it will achieve nothing and that you are just wasting your own and everyone else's time.
    FYP

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 125 ✭✭firedancer

No its somewhere in between moronic and pointless

FYP

how right you are..been up there a few times and have been closely following events at the camp, spoken to many to guage what it is exactly they're protesting....ok, the 1% have all the power, money, but now the freeloaders up in Eyre Square (cos that's exactly what they're doing , taking home all the food donations, etc.) are trying to occupy a moral high ground...when in fact they haven't really been making many sacrifices 'camping' out as this is a lifestyle they already choose for themselves...don't be fooled people , they're highly deviant and are totally in it for themselves...call by some night and check out how many of the tents are actually 'occupied'

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement