Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Occupy Galway Group (mod note added)

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 125 ✭✭firedancer

eire.man wrote: »
    for the mods, please dont throw this in amongst the mammoth thread about the occupation as it will inevitably be lost in amongst the many pages of forward and backward comments.

I am hereby asking any business offering wireless broadband internet services to please provide us with a way of offering a video stream to the public and our sister occupations worldwide.

Furthermore if you have any resources we could use to make the occupation during winter that bit easier on us, a generator to provide some power for a laptop, heating etc. Any donation large/small would be treated with the utmost respect and returned the way it was received. We would like to get rid of the pallets that are currently marking out our boundary and maybe erect a stronger/more appealing looking protection against the elements and late night revellers. We could always do with more blankets etc. It's getting very fcuking cold out there lately.

We are trying to build this with the support of you the public and without your support we will most likely just fade into memory and we can all sit back and watch the country fall further down the black-hole of financial terrorism! I don't think anybody realistically wants things to keep getting progressively worse and if we'e all honest with ourselves can you really see our 'leaders' in the Dail doing anything radical that will change things anytime soon. They've already consistently went back on everything they told us they'd do when they got into power, that's an undeniable fact unfortunately! These people are way out of their league and totally disconnected from the reality we live in each and everyday.

As I said up on site today, this is bigger than any one person and shocking as it may seem, most certainly bigger than Xmas. I for one have absolutely no money to be spending on anyone, including myself this Xmas and it's not for the want of trying to get a job either.

I met a lady who used to be best friends with my Mum (passed away in '99) and I couldn't believe when she asked me what I was doing with the crowd of wasters in the Square that should be all out working. I told her very quickly that there was only one reason why none of us were working and even more shockingly she asked why! Cos there's no fcuking jobs now are there! Have people become so disconnected that they're in complete denial? Did it somehow pass over people that we have been reduced to cruel and bitter people to those who are trying to make a change, however small (and strange in some peoples eyes) to begin with.

Hope this is received in better spirit than the other occupy thread

ha there's jobs there if you look , would be interested to know when half of the occupiers up there last worked, perfect excuse using the downturn in the economy...but what is laughable is 'appealing' for more freebies from naive people and businesses who you have emotionally blackmailed into thinking ye are actually sacrificing anything to be in the square...well ye don't have to do any weekly shopping now , all you have to do is head into the square after a good night's sleep at home and have your food etc in there....have passed by the encampment many times and at most i would say two tents are occupied at night....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 232 ✭✭eire.man

MadYaker wrote: »
    for the mods, please dont throw this in amongst the mammoth thread about the occupation as it will inevitably be lost in amongst the many pages of forward and backward comments.

I am hereby asking any business offering wireless broadband internet services to please provide us with a way of offering a video stream to the public and our sister occupations worldwide.

Furthermore if you have any resources we could use to make the occupation during winter that bit easier on us, a generator to provide some power for a laptop, heating etc. Any donation large/small would be treated with the utmost respect and returned the way it was received. We would like to get rid of the pallets that are currently marking out our boundary and maybe erect a stronger/more appealing looking protection against the elements and late night revellers. We could always do with more blankets etc. It's getting very fcuking cold out there lately.

And I hope it gets a lot colder.
    We are trying to build this with the support of you the public and without your support we will most likely just fade into memory and we can all sit back and watch the country fall further down the black-hole of financial terrorism! I don't think anybody realistically wants things to keep getting progressively worse and if we'e all honest with ourselves can you really see our 'leaders' in the Dail doing anything radical that will change things anytime soon. They've already consistently went back on everything they told us they'd do when they got into power, that's an undeniable fact unfortunately! These people are way out of their league and totally disconnected from the reality we live in each and everyday.

You do not have the support of the public, you do not represent the 99%. You are without doubt going to fade into memory and you're occupation is never going to change anything or have any influence whatsoever on the future of our country. I assume by "financial terrorism" you mean the mishandling of public finances by the previous government and the irresponsible lending by some banks. Using terms like that make it hard for people to take you seriously. Also, anyone with half a brain and a basic understanding of economics knew that most of the promises made by politicians would be broken. If you actually thought that it was possible for these promises to be kept then you are an idiot.
    As I said up on site today, this is bigger than any one person and shocking as it may seem, most certainly bigger than Xmas.

Its a few unemployed/homeless people living in tents in eyre square, don't get ahead of yourself. You may feel like you are part of some sort of worldwide movement thats going revolutionise democracy and make the world a better place but in reality in a few months this ridiculous movement will be dead and everyone will have forgotten about it and nothing will have been changed by it, that is the sad reality although it seems your naivety prevents you from seeing that. You may believe otherwise now, but in a few months you will realise that this is the truth.
    I met a lady who used to be best friends with my Mum (passed away in '99) and I couldn't believe when she asked me what I was doing with the crowd of wasters in the Square that should be all out working. I told her very quickly that there was only one reason why none of us were working and even more shockingly she asked why! Cos there's no fcuking jobs now are there! Have people become so disconnected that they're in complete denial? Did it somehow pass over people that we have been reduced to cruel and bitter people to those who are trying to make a change, however small (and strange in some peoples eyes) to begin with.

So you don't have a job. I don't know what thats like as I have never been unemployed but I do hope you realise that this actually gives you an opportunity to help society in a constructive way. Go volunteer with the Simon Community or the St. Vincent De Paul. They are always looking for volunteers to help them and other people, especially during winter. Camping in eyre square doesn't help anyone. The wider community are gradually getting more and more sick and tired of your silly protest and eventually you will be forced to leave.

I want things to change as much as you do but there are 2 main ways to achieve this change. 1: Politics. Vote out the current government in the next election. And 2: Revolution Libya-style. Seems unlikely and would probably do more harm than good.

Your silly protest is somewhere between those 2. Most realistic and sensible people realise that it will achieve nothing.

it's amazing how someone who who maybe walked past once or twice can tell me all about the camp and our level of support, you are so wrong on all points it's funny!!

we don't want/or need support from the likes of your good self and any other keyboard warrior, all you'll ever be is keyboard warriors and that's fine, just don't try to tell me my business when I know your whole argument above is ****!

firedancer wrote: »
    No its somewhere in between moronic and pointless

FYP

how right you are..been up there a few times and have been closely following events at the camp, spoken to many to guage what it is exactly they're protesting....ok, the 1% have all the power, money, but now the freeloaders up in Eyre Square (cos that's exactly what they're doing , taking home all the food donations, etc.) are trying to occupy a moral high ground...when in fact they haven't really been making many sacrifices 'camping' out as this is a lifestyle they already choose for themselves...don't be fooled people , they're highly deviant and are totally in it for themselves...call by some night and check out how many of the tents are actually 'occupied'

some people will be fooled with your inactivate descriptions but we get the true level of support from the 1000's of well wishing people who stop by every week and you can say what ya like,

a movements' for life, not just for Xmas you know

ps. I nearly pissed myself when I read your comment on the food, so people are up there to grab food donations and head home

I'm sorry but a whole lot of you guys/gals are really and truly talking and looking out thru your asses

ahahahahahahahahahah

• Closed Accounts Posts: 125 ✭✭firedancer

quote' - it's amazing how someone who who maybe walked past once or twice can tell me all about the camp and our level of support, you are so wrong on all points it's funny!!unquote from eireman - how do you know how often I've been to the camp?? and I'm not talking about just walking past it - I've spent time there also two nights there myself in the past month, what I witnessed there was nothing short of disturbing in its hypocrisy- you are now on the run as you are reduced to insulting me and calling me names, very constructive , more constructive than what is being done by you freeloaders in the square, how long do you think the public are gonna be fooled ??

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,011 ✭✭✭Tugboats

Walked past this morning and saw a naked hippy showering in the rain:eek:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,773 ✭✭✭connemara man

Hi
    I read the Galway Independent article on the camp moving for the Christmas Market and a deal has been reached I was just wondering what the terms are, as someone who believes in the right to open protest as the occupy Galway group are undertaking i would like to know what the deal is in the interest of openness and transparency, something which has lacked in irish society regarding deals with councils and governments.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 10,563 Mod ✭✭✭✭Robbo

Tugboats wrote: »
    Walked past this morning and saw a naked hippy showering in the rain:eek:
    I never understood the song "Set Fire To The Rain", until now.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,106 ✭✭✭antoobrien

Lockstep wrote: »
    You're dead wrong there. The current City Council is a coalition between FF, FG and the former PDs. Labour is the largest party on the Council and Connolly normally votes with them but they're outvoted 6 to 9.

But then I wasn't talking about the current one was I.

I was talking about the period between 1999 & 2009 when FG/LAB lead coalitions (with some pd & green thrown in) controlled the city council.

They sat on money that was available for an upgrade of the treatment plant in terryland - which was available before it happened. Oops.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,221 ✭✭✭✭MadYaker

it's amazing how someone who who maybe walked past once or twice can tell me all about the camp and our level of support, you are so wrong on all points it's funny!!

we don't want/or need support from the likes of your good self and any other keyboard warrior, all you'll ever be is keyboard warriors and that's fine, just don't try to tell me my business when I know your whole argument above is ****!

I have talked to two different people in the camp, a man who looked to be in his mid thirties and has never worked and a women and all I could get from them was "ooohh the evil 1% they have all the money and power we want real democracy and jobs for the people etc etc". Both demonstrated a worrying detachment from reality and a complete lack of understanding of the problems they are "protesting" about.

I raised a number of valid and true points in my post yesterday to which you clearly have no answer so you resorted to getting personal by calling me a "keyboard warrior".... Whether you want to face reality or not is up to you I suppose. I apologise for offending you that wasn't actually my intention, I just get a bit annoyed at these people who have opted out and are living off my taxes while making themeselves out to be fighting for the common man and the benefit of society.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 10,563 Mod ✭✭✭✭Robbo

I'm slipping in my old age, I missed this gem in the Advertiser's letters last week:
    Dear Editor,

Due to the present recession, I have to write this letter to firstly applaud all the protesters in Eyre Square at the moment who are protesting against the banks and ultimately the Illuminati and the New World Order. We all most stand up against this New World Order and Illuminati,who have manipulated humanity throughout history by giving us our wars, famines and economic recessions and a lot more. Thankfully it is now coming to a head with this present Global Awakening.

But ultimately humanity itself has to take a certain amount of responsibility in this present situation. I believe that there is a Creator, and the ultimate goal is the evolution of the soul. It is important that we look at ourselves for the answers, because each and every one of us has that ability. It starts with firstly respecting and loving ourselves, our fellow human beings, the earth and all it's creatures. The earth itself is at present in a third dimension, but it is starting to move into a fourth dimension with a shift of the poles. Earth was unable to do this previously, mostly due to humanity's fear and anger, but this is changing. It really is a great time to be alive even if some people do not think so.

I would recommend anyone who is interested to watch the interviews of William Cooper and Alex Collier on Youtube, and the book The Gods of Eden by William Bramley .It is also important to look up Project Blue Beam, which is well known to a lot of people.

I hope this information is helpful.

Yours,

Yvonne Hosty,

Mace,

Corrandulla,
    And if you think that this isn't representative of the views out there, the Lizard Conspiracy has got to you. We're through the looking glass here people.

• Advertisement

It's interesting how many people are complaining that there are no jobs out there and how bleak our situation is.

I contrast that with the announcement that another bunch of corporate overlords large American company is pouring a large amount of money into the West of Ireland. Covidient (how have a factory in Mervue - formerly Tyco, Mallincrodt, Nellcor-Puritan Bennet & Puritan Bennet) have just announced a €25m R&D investment in the Galway & Athlone plants.

Oh well, we're all screwed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 146 ✭✭PennyLane88

Are they still 'protesting'?

• Registered Users Posts: 472 ✭✭Ludikrus

They'll get a good wash in this rain.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,011 ✭✭✭Tugboats

antoobrien wrote: »
    It's interesting how many people are complaining that there are no jobs out there and how bleak our situation is.

I contrast that with the announcement that another bunch of corporate overlords large American company is pouring a large amount of money into the West of Ireland. Covidient (how have a factory in Mervue - formerly Tyco, Mallincrodt, Nellcor-Puritan Bennet & Puritan Bennet) have just announced a €25m R&D investment in the Galway & Athlone plants.

Oh well, we're all screwed.

Just being nice to us so we'll let them lads their warplanes in Shannon while on route to invading Iran. Im not falling for this:mad:

Tugboats wrote: »
    Just being nice to us so we'll let them lads their warplanes in Shannon while on route to invading Iran. Im not falling for this:mad:

That sounds about right, they will likely sell some stuff to the US armed forces.

Maybe we should be egging the US on so more jobs will come to Galway.

• Registered Users Posts: 118 ✭✭PauricTheLodger

Are they still 'protesting'?

Aye, wondering the same. I've walked past a few times each day over the last few days and the area has seemed ghost town(/camp)-esque.

• Registered Users Posts: 45,495 ✭✭✭✭Bobeagleburger

Hopefully this wind and rain gets rid of them

• Registered Users Posts: 12,221 ✭✭✭✭MadYaker

If the US invade iran we'll have a lot more to worry about than some people camping in eyre square...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,436 ✭✭✭c_man

Robbo wrote: »
    And if you think that this isn't representative of the views out there, the Lizard Conspiracy has got to you. We're through the looking glass here people.

There was a few posters up at the Eyre Sq camp calling on people to watch Michael Tsarion's videos on what's really happening. Here's a two hour video incorporating alien creation of humans, past nuclear wars and reptilian control up to the present day.
    Occupy Galway, fighting the good fight against the Lizard Men.

• Registered Users Posts: 167 ✭✭duiggers

Your right, the Occupy Galway group are actually a front by the Snake Men to try and take down the Lizard men.

Luckily for us Galwegians the Xmas market will derfeat them all in the end :D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,153 ✭✭✭Shakti

c_man wrote: »
    There was a few posters up at the Eyre Sq camp calling on people to watch Michael Tsarion's videos on what's really happening. Here's a two hour video incorporating alien creation of humans, past nuclear wars and reptilian control up to the present day.

I saw a poster for 'Special K' breakfast cereal on Eyre sq. doesnt mean the protesters work for 'Kellogs' or 'Bulmers' or 'AIB' or 'BOI' or 'TSB' etc. etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,166 ✭✭✭✭Zzippy

I'm slipping in my old age, I missed this gem in the Advertiser's letters last week:

Is Jim Corr living in Corrandulla now? :D:D

Zzippy wrote: »
    Is Jim Corr living in Corrandulla now? :D:D

I don't know about that but he does (or did) have family living in Castlegar. When his mother died a number of years ago they had a months mind mass in Castlegar church.

c_man wrote: »

no there isn't!

• Registered Users Posts: 293 ✭✭padraig71

Conspiracy theories are an unnecessary distraction; there is plenty of credible evidence of wrongdoing in our public and financial institutions.

Just to remind the naysayers why we need these protests, here is a documentary from ABC Australia about Jonathan Sugarman, a whistleblower at UniCredit in Dublin, who alerted the financial regulator and TDs about regular illegal activity in his bank a few years ago and got nowhere fast. David Norris raised the issue in the Seanad and was similarly stonewalled. This is symptomatic of the corruption at the heart of the body politic.

Also, it should be stated that we are all taxpayers. A rise in VAT will affect the poorest most and it's going up to 23% in the next budget - somehow the German parliament was told before we were. Maybe if we're good, the EU won't install an unelected puppet government here as in Greece and Italy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,436 ✭✭✭c_man

no there isn't!

There was. Last time I took a wander around. Amidst all the "End the Island Tax" (?) posters that were up.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

I think at this point the Irish would agree to anything. When we start protesting the protesters it just goes to show how complacent the country has become.

When some food stalls at the Christmas market has become more important than someone who actually takes a stand against the general corruption of the country and the system, someone who camps out and not just whines on the interwebs.

It's ok to not want to camp out in the cold, I get it. But if you don't actively try to change the system you're just a part of it and shouldn't complain - everything is the way you want it. And for the "but what can I do?" - don't rely on other to figure things out for you. You know yourself how you can help and what wrong and right.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 865 ✭✭✭FlashD

padraig71 wrote: »
    Maybe if we're good, the EU won't install an unelected puppet government here as in Greece and Italy.

...as opposed to the 'elected puppet government' we have now.

Let's be honest though, even when we had our independance with an 'elected government', they were no better.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 865 ✭✭✭FlashD

biko wrote: »
    When some food stalls at the Christmas market has become more important than someone who actually takes a stand against the general corruption of the country and the system, someone who camps out and not just whines on the interwebs..

These food stalls are run by ordinary people trying to do a bit of business at xmas, hardly the corporate giants of the world.

Jeez, just move over and give them a bit of space...like I say there's room for everyone in the square this xmas...c'mon like!

• Advertisement

Form the article in todays indo
    Elsewhere, 11pc of non-voters said that the main reason they did not go to the polls was because they were not interested in politics, while another 10pc said they were disillusioned.

The rest of non-voters blamed being away from home on the day, 15pc, difficulty getting to the voting station, 11pc, living too far from the polling station, 5pc, while only 2pc blamed a lack of information.

The CSO, however, revealed some discrepancies in its survey compared to the actual turnout figures.

Its research found 82pc of people voted in the 2011 general election even though the reality was a turnout of 70pc.

Experts claimed the huge overstatement was usual in election surveys as non-voters may be reluctant to admit not going to the polls or a low turnout among people not surveyed.

So it would appear that the occupy brethren represent not the 99% as they claim but perhaps 20% of the 30% that didn't vote - I make that about 6%.

Why?
    The CSO said turnout remained lowest among young people, students and unemployed people while a lack of education was directly linked to a lack of interest in voting or politics.

And yet they're sticking their oar in now, instead of getting involved in the democratic process.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement