Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Occupy Galway Group (mod note added)

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19 Ex Bouncer

I have a couple of Xmas nights out planned over the next 4 weeks in Galway, Ive checked accomadation costs and they are in around 70-120 per night, so Im going to bring my tent and set it up in the middle of Eyre Square and put a protest sign on the outside of the tent. I will save 120 euros and be near to the nights activity, and the best part is, NOBODY can stop me, or ask me to leave.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,956 ✭✭✭Doc Ruby

biko wrote: »
    I think at this point the Irish would agree to anything. When we start protesting the protesters it just goes to show how complacent the country has become.
    I think there's a general and entirely justified mistrust of the kooks on the far left who seem to attach themselves to every protest or cause going to be honest.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,741 ✭✭✭Irishgoatman

FlashD wrote: »
    These food stalls are run by ordinary people trying to do a bit of business at xmas, hardly the corporate giants of the world.

Jeez, just move over and give them a bit of space...like I say there's room for everyone in the square this xmas...c'mon like!

I've heard that most of the xmas stalls are NOT run by local traders because the cost of a stall is too high. Perhaps someone has more info on this?.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 10,563 Mod ✭✭✭✭Robbo

I've heard that most of the xmas stalls are NOT run by local traders because the cost of a stall is too high. Perhaps someone has more info on this?.
    The stalls last year were run by Out of Towners and I welcome that.

I'm of the opinion that the regular market is vastly over-rated (apart from the food vendors) and seems to operate as a closed shop. I've seen a lot of people agitate about the Christmas market that the money goes elsewhere but the regular market is the epitome of complacency. How are rainbow wooly hats or poorly printed t-shirts of dubious copyrighted provenance bringing any unique character to the town? A lot of the pitch holders are there through sheer inertia and the unwillingness of the collective to allow others in.

The company overseeing the whole affair this year are based in Galway and run by Galway residents at the behest of Galway retailers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,153 ✭✭✭Shakti

Robbo wrote: »
    I'm slipping in my old age, I missed this gem in the Advertiser's letters last week:
    Dear Editor,

Due to the present recession, I have to write this letter to firstly applaud all the protesters in Eyre Square at the moment who are protesting against the banks and ultimately the Illuminati and the New World Order. We all most stand up against this New World Order and Illuminati,who have manipulated humanity throughout history by giving us our wars, famines and economic recessions and a lot more. Thankfully it is now coming to a head with this present Global Awakening.

But ultimately humanity itself has to take a certain amount of responsibility in this present situation. I believe that there is a Creator, and the ultimate goal is the evolution of the soul. It is important that we look at ourselves for the answers, because each and every one of us has that ability. It starts with firstly respecting and loving ourselves, our fellow human beings, the earth and all it's creatures. The earth itself is at present in a third dimension, but it is starting to move into a fourth dimension with a shift of the poles. Earth was unable to do this previously, mostly due to humanity's fear and anger, but this is changing. It really is a great time to be alive even if some people do not think so.

I would recommend anyone who is interested to watch the interviews of William Cooper and Alex Collier on Youtube, and the book The Gods of Eden by William Bramley .It is also important to look up Project Blue Beam, which is well known to a lot of people.

I hope this information is helpful.

Yours,

Yvonne Hosty,

Mace,

Corrandulla,
    And if you think that this isn't representative of the views out there, the Lizard Conspiracy has got to you. We're through the looking glass here people.

While Ms. Hosty has the right to applaud the protesters and indeed write and also to impart her views to the Galway Advertiser, it does strike me as more than slightly disingenuous for you 'Robbo' to try and in turn attribute her personal views as being those of 'OG'.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 10,563 Mod ✭✭✭✭Robbo

Shakti wrote: »
    While Ms. Hosty has the right to applaud the protesters and indeed write and also to impart her views to the Galway Advertiser, it does strike me as more than slightly disingenuous for you 'Robbo' to try and in turn attribute her personal views as being those of 'OG'.
    Quite simply, I don't. I also resent the hypocrisy in you applauding the letter writer for doing so, yet attacking me for using it as an example of the growing support to this movement. If you're going to champion free speech, I suggest being willing to accept that not all of it will be in agreement with you.

Out of curiosity, is there an official OG position on the Illuminati or have they moved to distance themselves from the theories of Ms Hosty?

Quite simply, I don't. I also resent the hypocrisy in you applauding the letter writer for doing so,

Unsubstantiated assumption, I have not stated were I stand on the contents of the said letter merely pointed out that IMO your posting it here was an attempt to pass off the opinions of a single individual who expressed feelings of support for a group as the opinions of the group in question and furthermore a group whose aims/views/opinions as you have subsequently stated you are as of yet ignorant of.
    yet attacking me for using it as an example of the growing support to this movement.

I have called you on your post you may be defensive if you like but I have no wish to attack you personally just question your motives for posting the said letter,
    If you're going to champion free speech,

heaven forbid [sarc.
    I suggest being willing to accept that not all of it will be in agreement with you.

agreement with what exactly?
    Out of curiosity, is there an official OG position on the Illuminati or have they moved to distance themselves from the theories of Ms Hosty?
    I speak for myself and call it how I see it, so I guess you will have to make your way down to Eyre sq. and ask them yourself or remain 'curious' sic

Unsubstantiated assumption, I have not stated were I stand on the contents of the said letter merely pointed out that IMO your posting it here was an attempt to pass off the opinions of a single individual who expressed feelings of support for a group as the opinions of the group in question and furthermore a group whose aims/views/opinions as you have subsequently stated you are as of yet ignorant of.

I have called you on your post you may be defensive if you like but I have no wish to attack you personally just question your motives for posting the said letter,

heaven forbid [sarc.

agreement with what exactly?

I speak for myself and call it how I see it, so I guess you will have to make your way down to Eyre sq. and ask them yourself or remain 'curious' sic
    You really don't see the sarcasm in my initial offending post? With the Lizards and therefore. I'll draw you a diagram if it helps.

Since my motives are in question, could you please tell me them as you see it?

Since my motives are in question, could you please tell me them as you see it?

I questioned your motives as being genuine you have admitted they were not.
    Matter closed.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,300 ✭✭✭✭Seaneh

[QUOTE=Robbo;75535203

I'm of the opinion that the regular market is vastly over-rated (apart from the food vendors) and seems to operate as a closed shop..[/QUOTE]

It is a closed shop, but not through the vendors fault, the waiting list for a pitch is insanely long and impossible to get onto, the council have made it pointless in even trying, I actually suspect some of the food vendors are fly-pitching.

The area is too small to expand and the ones who are there paid their fees and are entitled to their pitch, however the council should move the market somewhere with more room and allow more vendors.

The current vendors would actually welcome more vendors because a bigger market means more visitors and more sales, that's simple marketing.

• Advertisement

I questioned your motives as being genuine you have admitted they were not.
    Matter closed.
    Pleased to be of assistance. If there's anything else you want explained in my posting, I'd be happy to oblige.

Pleased to be of assistance. If there's anything else you want explained in my posting, I'd be happy to oblige.

That'll be all for now Robbo.

Galway Advertiser Facebook feed says they are looking for help to move the protest.

I'd have thought that if all the tents were regularly occupied that they would have had plenty of people.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

Perhaps they want others to feel involved by helping out?
    I'll head down and grab a corner.

Or judging by some of the posts on the OccupyGalway facebook page by Little Lisa that the campers will be hungover this morning and need the help.

• Registered Users Posts: 109 ✭✭Danakin

antoobrien wrote: »
    Form the article in todays indo

So it would appear that the occupy brethren represent not the 99% as they claim but perhaps 20% of the 30% that didn't vote - I make that about 6%.

Why?

And yet they're sticking their oar in now, instead of getting involved in the democratic process.

I voted and I still support the Occupy movement?

Democracy isn't a case of voting and if your side loses then you must shut up. That's a very reductionist view of democracy.

You can highlight issues through campaigns and protests, or point out how things could be done differently.

Protests are part of the democratic process. They are a democratic right.

Maybe some people who voted in the General Election are now regretting their choice? They may now be supporting the protests?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,741 ✭✭✭Irishgoatman

antoobrien wrote: »
    Form the article in todays indo

So it would appear that the occupy brethren represent not the 99% as they claim but perhaps 20% of the 30% that didn't vote - I make that about 6%.

Why?

And yet they're sticking their oar in now, instead of getting involved in the democratic process.

There is no CURRENT democratic process that anyone can get involved in.
    So are you saying that everyone should just sit back and take it?.
    Surely that's why we're in the prestent state. Because we all did just that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 125 ✭✭firedancer

Galway Advertiser Facebook feed says they are looking for help to move the protest.

I'd have thought that if all the tents were regularly occupied that they would have had plenty of people.

They're rarely occupied, at most two to three tents are occupied , but they are well aware that it's practically impossible to prove that, however, a surprise couple of visits in the next few weeks , unannounced, by an enterprising journalist should prove my point..of course they will put it down to the media putting down the occupygalway effort...catch 22

• Closed Accounts Posts: 125 ✭✭firedancer

When are we gonna hear or see something more creative from 'OG'? for instance public speakers/web casts/art or musical protest,concert etc. Because demands, manifestos are all well and good but I think if you limit yourself to that form of discourse/interaction with the public, establishment or media it kind of draws a circle around your group and the general public.

We'll be a long time waiting for anything original from the occupygalway group , their reply to anyone who decries their inane drumming and now the regular piss-ups at their so-called alcohol and drug-free encampment , is to "Come down and join us!" i wouldn't be seen dead with that crew ...they've now (i haven't seen this personally, a friend pointed it out this morning) taken to censoring comments from one of their own members(!!!!????) on their FB page...!!!!! Hell they should be in government they'd be right at home..maybe just a wash and a haircut needed....

Anybody seen the Facebook OccupyGalway page today btw?

firedancer wrote: »
    We'll be a long time waiting for anything original from the occupygalway group , their reply to anyone who decries their inane drumming and now the regular piss-ups at their so-called alcohol and drug-free encampment , is to "Come down and join us!" i wouldn't be seen dead with that crew ...they've now (i haven't seen this personally, a friend pointed it out this morning) taken to censoring comments from one of their own members(!!!!????) on their FB page...!!!!! Hell they should be in government they'd be right at home..maybe just a wash and a haircut needed....

Anybody seen the Facebook OccupyGalway page today btw?

I'm not really that concerned about who sleeps there or how many or what they do or don't smoke or drink or indeed what they say or don't say on facebook,
    I support the right to protest in the first instance.
    IMO opinion the 'writing is on the wall' our budget goes to Germany for approval and a country the seat of civilization were Euclid began the very notion and spirit of what was to become the foundation of Jeffersonian constitutions has been deemed too expensive to exist and had a puppet government of bankers and business interests installed over the will of the people, as the man says 'we just don't want to believe what its happening'.
    Were is the solidarity for the Greek people???? Were are the dissenting voices of Europe for what has been done to democracy????
    The best we can do is argue over how many people slept in the tents last night or how often they shower........pathetic.

• Advertisement

Everytime I come back to this thread I regret it

Talk about going around in circles

• Registered Users Posts: 293 ✭✭padraig71

Seaneh wrote: »
    It is a closed shop, but not through the vendors fault, the waiting list for a pitch is insanely long and impossible to get onto, the council have made it pointless in even trying, I actually suspect some of the food vendors are fly-pitching.

The area is too small to expand and the ones who are there paid their fees and are entitled to their pitch, however the council should move the market somewhere with more room and allow more vendors.

The current vendors would actually welcome more vendors because a bigger market means more visitors and more sales, that's simple marketing.

Off topic, but I've always wondered why the city council didn't set up an additional market site at the Spanish Arch if they need extra space. It was a market area in the past (for fish).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 72 ✭✭Me again!

I was for this at the start, then I felt it had run its course and that they should move aside for the market, but when I hear Michael Crowe and Padge Conneely trying force the gardai to move on these people I now feel like joining them and probally will over the next week.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

Rumour is that crime in Eyre Square, especially that caused by a congregating knackers of scroats and scroatettes outside and around Supermacs late at night, has dropped 50% since 'Occupy' started and the guards are only too happy to keep them there forever if necessary. :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,391 ✭✭✭✭mikom

Everytime I come back to this thread I regret it

Talk about going around in circles

A circle is a simple shape of Euclidean geometry consisting of those points in a plane that are a given distance from a given point, the centre. The distance between any of the points and the centre is called the radius.
    Circles are simple closed curves which divide the plane into two regions: an interior and an exterior. In everyday use, the term "circle" may be used interchangeably to refer to either the boundary of the figure, or to the whole figure including its interior; in strict technical usage, the circle is the former and the latter is called a disk.
    A circle is a special ellipse in which the two foci are coincident and the eccentricity is 0. Circles are conic sections attained when a right circular cone is intersected by a plane perpendicular to the axis of the cone.
    A circle can also be defined as the curve traced out by a point that moves so that its distance from a given point is constant.

• Registered Users Posts: 112 ✭✭hippygran

Doc Ruby wrote: »
    I think there's a general and entirely justified mistrust of the kooks on the far left who seem to attach themselves to every protest or cause going to be honest.

There are an awful lot of people involved in the occupy movement that have never protested about anything before. I have talked to many people who said 'it just felt right to be a part of it now..things are so bad that it felt like the only thing to do'. It may not be being done in the right way at all times, and there are the usual problems associated with a diverse group of people trying to work together, but what pulls most people to the camps is a feeling of desperation, of having no voice, and not knowing what else to do.
    And not all of the protesters are far left, just people who feel there is an inherent 'wrongness' in the world today.

firedancer wrote: »
    They're rarely occupied, at most two to three tents are occupied , but they are well aware that it's practically impossible to prove that, however, a surprise couple of visits in the next few weeks , unannounced, by an enterprising journalist should prove my point..of course they will put it down to the media putting down the occupygalway effort...catch 22

That just isn't true at all. There is one tent that is used to store food and one that is a visitors tent for people who visit from other camps, which is also used to store spare blankets etc. Every other tent is owned by people who spend 3/4 nights a week there. Few protesters stay there permanently because we all have lives outside of the protest. Protesters are encouraged to spend some time each week away from camp because it is necessary for our mental well-being to rest and relax and spend time with our families. A 'surprise' visit any night of the week would find at least half of the tents occupied with people trying to sleep.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,251 ✭✭✭squonk

hippygran wrote: »
    That just isn't true at all. There is one tent that is used to store food and one that is a visitors tent for people who visit from other camps, which is also used to store spare blankets etc. Every other tent is owned by people who spend 3/4 nights a week there. Few protesters stay there permanently because we all have lives outside of the protest. Protesters are encouraged to spend some time each week away from camp because it is necessary for our mental well-being to rest and relax and spend time with our families. A 'surprise' visit any night of the week would find at least half of the tents occupied with people trying to sleep.

True! I suppose they'd need a few nights off to collect their dole, go on the piss then and head home to the parents then to get fed, watered and get the washing done for them!

Seriously! What you're saying is that they're only part time protestors! Fabulous! The only time they deserve to be part time protestors is if they're earnestly trying to get a job the other days they're not there.

I work. I'm lucky enough to have a job and I don't have time to arse around camping in the square. If I lost my job in the morning, my first priority would be ensuring I made myself suitable for further employment. I don't think I'd be off playing at part-time protesting. Looking for work is a job in itself and anybody pissing about in a tent in Eyre Square is showing that they're not that interested in getting work. It's ironic complaining about the state of the country and then pocketing some of the bailout money yourself.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,333 ✭✭✭death1234567

squonk wrote: »
    I suppose they'd need a few nights off to collect their dole
    Its funny because its true.

How long has this ****e being going on now? I'd say goldman sachs are quaking in their boots, another 2 months and their collapse will surely be imminent.

• Advertisement

squonk wrote: »
    True! I suppose they'd need a few nights off to collect their dole, go on the piss then and head home to the parents then to get fed, watered and get the washing done for them!

Seriously! What you're saying is that they're only part time protestors! Fabulous! The only time they deserve to be part time protestors is if they're earnestly trying to get a job the other days they're not there.

I work. I'm lucky enough to have a job and I don't have time to arse around camping in the square. If I lost my job in the morning, my first priority would be ensuring I made myself suitable for further employment. I don't think I'd be off playing at part-time protesting. Looking for work is a job in itself and anybody pissing about in a tent in Eyre Square is showing that they're not that interested in getting work. It's ironic complaining about the state of the country and then pocketing some of the bailout money yourself.

You are entitled to your opinion, but not to personally insult people. I am a middle aged mother and grandmother, I don't 'go on the piss' or 'go to parents to get washing done'. I live in Mayo, Galway was my nearest occupy protest, I come home to feed my animals, visit my grandchildren and continue putting my CV in to various places in the hope of getting a job. If you think it is easy to get a job you are sadly mistaken. One of my daughters lives in Galway and she has put her CV in every shop and hotel in the area and still doesn't have a full time job. She only needs a small wage as she shares a house with other young people and has just about kept herself by doing temporary leaflet distribution and selling Avon, but still can't find a secure permanent job. For an older person with bills to pay the available work is even harder to find. I have had more than one person from local businesses in Galway tell me that they get several CVs in every day, the competition for work is fierce.
    I don't consider myself a 'part time protester'. I consider myself a concerned citizen who can see the world falling apart and doesn't know what else to do right now. I give as much time as I can to the protest. There are also at least 2 people there who work full time and stay pretty much every night and give all their free time to the camp. Don't judge when you obviously know nothing about the individual protesters please.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement