Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Occupy Galway Group (mod note added)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,251 ✭✭✭squonk

thanks for the reply hippygran and yes, I do appreciate how difficult it is to come by work these days. I've been in the position of being out of work on several occasions so I'm very well aware of how hard it is to find a job.

Where I'm coming from is that looking for a job i.e. handing in CV's is only half or even a third of the battle. I'm speaking personally but I had to spend a good amount of time upskilling and getting up to speed on newer trends in my profession. That was pretty much a 9-5 job in terms of the effort and time put in. I certainly didn't have time to go travelling, or anything else really. I didn't have the time to protest. I had some time to volunteer to causes I was interested in but not that much.

The way I see it is that, yes the people in Eyre Sq probably see the world going to hell and feel they want to do something about it but, really, you can't save the world from going to hell. You can just save yourself and I think the way to do that is to ensure you've food on your own table and a guarantee for yourself of a stable income. That's your first priority. it's nice to camp in Eyre Square striking a blow against 'THE MAN' but it won't benefit the campers in any way. Those that are jobless now will most likely be jobless when the protest ends, whenever that is. Better to diversify your skills or pick up some new skills to turn your hand to while you have time.

• Registered Users Posts: 112 ✭✭hippygran

squonk wrote: »
    thanks for the reply hippygran and yes, I do appreciate how difficult it is to come by work these days. I've been in the position of being out of work on several occasions so I'm very well aware of how hard it is to find a job.

Where I'm coming from is that looking for a job i.e. handing in CV's is only half or even a third of the battle. I'm speaking personally but I had to spend a good amount of time upskilling and getting up to speed on newer trends in my profession. That was pretty much a 9-5 job in terms of the effort and time put in. I certainly didn't have time to go travelling, or anything else really. I didn't have the time to protest. I had some time to volunteer to causes I was interested in but not that much.

The way I see it is that, yes the people in Eyre Sq probably see the world going to hell and feel they want to do something about it but, really, you can't save the world from going to hell. You can just save yourself and I think the way to do that is to ensure you've food on your own table and a guarantee for yourself of a stable income. That's your first priority. it's nice to camp in Eyre Square striking a blow against 'THE MAN' but it won't benefit the campers in any way. Those that are jobless now will most likely be jobless when the protest ends, whenever that is. Better to diversify your skills or pick up some new skills to turn your hand to while you have time.

That's fine, that's your opinion and you are entitled to live your life with that viewpoint. Personally, I think we are way beyond looking after just yourself and your family. The seas are poisoned, climate change is a serious threat and money is ruling the world. I realise that these protests individually may not make a difference but they are spreading and there are hundreds of thousands of people worldwide involved now. We hope that eventually the governments will start to listen to the people and start to make decisions with the people in mind, not profits. I have plenty of skills, and qualifications, and will use them in order to try and get work, but I still reserve the right to do what I feel is right, as you must too. What that is may change, but at the moment the occupy movement 'feels' right.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,173 ✭✭✭Wompa1

I have a job at the moment. But for anyone in tents saying they can't find work let me list just some of the places I've seen hiring in the city in the last 2 weeks. All "unskilled" :

Boots
    Schuh
    Medtronic
    Massimos
    Boun Appetito
    Finnegans
    Subway (Abberygate Street)
    Spar (Bottom of Shop Street. 2 different times. Deli and Shop Assistants)
    Smyths (Think they are finished hiring now though..I think, worth a look)
    Kellys (Were looking for promo staff, now looking for cleaners)
    Grainstore (near ground floor entrance to Eyre Square Shopping Center)
    Penneys (Headford Road)
    3 Mobile (Headford Road)

As I said, I have not been looking. They are all just signs I noticed or jobs noticed on jobs.ie (I already hear the but that's not enough jobs for all the unemployed so why would I bother)

Wompa1 wrote: »
    I have a job at the moment. But for anyone in tents saying they can't find work let me list just some of the places I've seen hiring in the city in the last 2 weeks. All "unskilled" :

Boots
    Schuh
    Medtronic
    Massimos
    Boun Appetito
    Finnegans
    Penneys (Headford Road)
    3 Mobile (Headford Road)

As I said, I have not been looking. They are all just signs I noticed or jobs noticed on jobs.ie (I already hear the but that's not enough jobs for all the unemployed so why would I bother)

Thank you for that. I will pass that list on to my daughter who lives in Galway. I know she has put her CV in to some of these places before but I am sure it will be worth another try. As I live 50 miles from Galway, it may not be worth me applying for any of these unless the wage will allow for the cost in petrol but I will certainly make some calls and enquire to see if they are full time. Thank you again, very helpful.

hippygran wrote: »
    Thank you for that. I will pass that list on to my daughter who lives in Galway. I know she has put her CV in to some of these places before but I am sure it will be worth another try. As I live 50 miles from Galway, it may not be worth me applying for any of these unless the wage will allow for the cost in petrol but I will certainly make some calls and enquire to see if they are full time. Thank you again, very helpful.

You'd be suprised about the age thing. My mother is nearly 60, she handed out her CV before and got call backs. Some places like having an older more mature person on the team thinking they'd be less likely to tolerate crap from other young people working there. I know some older people who got jobs in Boston Scientific too, think you just need to pass health checks.

• Advertisement

You'd be suprised about the age thing. My mother is nearly 60, she handed out her CV before and got call backs. Some places like having an older more mature person on the team thinking they'd be less likely to tolerate crap from other young people working there. I know some older people who got jobs in Boston Scientific too, think you just need to pass health checks.

I think you misunderstood, it's not an age thing, it's a distance thing. I am looking for a job in or around Claremorris as I live 50 miles from Galway. It costs around €15 for me to get to Galway and back which would be a lot to pay out every day unless it was a reasonable wage. However, I still appreciate someone taking the time to put jobs on here and will spread the news around. :)

I think you misunderstood, it's not an age thing, it's a distance thing. I am looking for a job in or around Claremorris as I live 50 miles from Galway. It costs around €15 for me to get to Galway and back which would be a lot to pay out every day unless it was a reasonable wage. However, I still appreciate someone taking the time to put jobs on here and will spread the news around. :)

You try Castlebar and Westport? I know that Carraig Donn or whatever it's called in Westport was hiring for x-mas. I'd imagine Castlebar would have even more.

You try Castlebar and Westport? I know that Carraig Donn or whatever it's called in Westport was hiring for x-mas. I'd imagine Castlebar would have even more.

Yes, I have been trying in Castlebar. Westport would again be too far unless it was a good job. There are a lot of people applying for every job, but I will keep trying along with everyone else. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,153 ✭✭✭Shakti

You are entitled to your opinion, but not to personally insult people. I am a middle aged mother and grandmother, I don't 'go on the piss' or 'go to parents to get washing done'. I live in Mayo, Galway was my nearest occupy protest, I come home to feed my animals, visit my grandchildren and continue putting my CV in to various places in the hope of getting a job. If you think it is easy to get a job you are sadly mistaken. One of my daughters lives in Galway and she has put her CV in every shop and hotel in the area and still doesn't have a full time job. She only needs a small wage as she shares a house with other young people and has just about kept herself by doing temporary leaflet distribution and selling Avon, but still can't find a secure permanent job. For an older person with bills to pay the available work is even harder to find. I have had more than one person from local businesses in Galway tell me that they get several CVs in every day, the competition for work is fierce.
    I don't consider myself a 'part time protester'. I consider myself a concerned citizen who can see the world falling apart and doesn't know what else to do right now. I give as much time as I can to the protest. There are also at least 2 people there who work full time and stay pretty much every night and give all their free time to the camp. Don't judge when you obviously know nothing about the individual protesters please.

You don't have to explain yourself to anyone, least of all respond to that type of comment, if posters would rather make personal judgements on the character of the protestors instead of the issues that 'OG' are drawing attention too then they either have no argument or are too ignorant to form a coherent one either way its not your responsibility to educate them, some people wont go looking for a shovel until they're up to their eyes in the s***.

Shakti wrote: »
    You don't have to explain yourself to anyone, least of all respond to that type of comment, if posters would rather make personal judgements on the character of the protestors instead of the issues that 'OG' are drawing attention too then they either have no argument or are too ignorant to form a coherent one either way its not your responsibility to educate them, some people wont go looking for a shovel until they're up to their eyes in the s***.

Thank you Shakti, your support is greatly appreciated. :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,221 ✭✭✭✭MadYaker

I would be interested to know if this movement is actually gaining numbers on a worldwide scale. The camp in Galway doesn't seem to have grown much since I first saw it several weeks ago. I am still not convinced that this movement will achieve anything.... It certainly won't achieve anything in its current form, its goals are too vague and there aren't enough people involved. Is there a mix of people in the camp or is it all long term unemployed, most unskilled, young people or are there lawyers and doctors and teachers spending nights there too? The only 2 people I spoke to were both long term unemployed young people. The movement claims to represent the 99% but as far as I can see at the moment it really only consists of a certain type of person.

• Registered Users Posts: 154 ✭✭shaggykev

MadYaker wrote: »
    I would be interested to know if this movement is actually gaining numbers on a worldwide scale. The camp in Galway doesn't seem to have grown much since I first saw it several weeks ago. I am still not convinced that this movement will achieve anything.... It certainly won't achieve anything in its current form, its goals are too vague and there aren't enough people involved. Is there a mix of people in the camp or is it all long term unemployed, most unskilled, young people or are there lawyers and doctors and teachers spending nights there too? The only 2 people I spoke to were both long term unemployed young people. The movement claims to represent the 99% but as far as I can see at the moment it really only consists of a certain type of person.

Walked past it today & thought the same but as a dad working hard to keep my family above water, I haven't the time to sit in Eyre Sq & to be honest, can't see what it will achieve

That's not to say I don't respect what the occupiers represent. They are angry & are right to be angry. The world as we know it is over & people have to fight the corrupt system or it will only get worse for the 99%

:rolleyes:

its a game, stop taking like so seriously

:rolleyes:

its a game, stop taking like so seriously

'RUN ON THE EURO'.........'EURO RUN'
    At best its bad taste and yet another example of the extreme don't give a f*** attitude of the ECB.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 31,117 ✭✭✭✭snubbleste

Cllr. Conneely spouting off on Gbfm at the moment. Apparently, he's being inundated with calls about the camps in Eyre Square..he wants them gone.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,333 ✭✭✭death1234567

'RUN ON THE EURO'.........'EURO RUN'
    At best its bad taste and yet another example of the extreme don't give a f*** attitude of the ECB.
    Jesus H. Christ. :rolleyes:

MadYaker wrote: »

On a worldwide scale it is gaining supporters and numbers all the time. Have a look on facebook, or twitter if you use it, and search for occupy. In the states it is really starting to have an effect, with regards to changing the way people are thinking and discussing things. A survey in the US found that 63% of people asked would support a presidential candidate who supported the occupy movement. That is pretty big in just 2 months. However, I do see your point with regard to Ireland and personally don't know how much impact it can have at the moment..maybe things aren't bad enough here for people to react yet?
    With regards to the protesters, they are all ages from 70ish down to 19 I think. People spending the night there are mostly unemployed, with the exception of 2 that I know of, but then that is to be expected as it is very difficult to get a decent sleep there so it is not practical for professional people to be there and be effective at work. However, there are several professional people who spend a lot of their free time at the camp and do a lot of work from home to support the movement.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 688 ✭✭✭Aerohead

Its time to get them out of there nothing will ever be gained by them, if they have no work look for it thats what I done and got a job, the place looks like a kip.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 232 ✭✭eire.man

Boots
    Schuh
    Medtronic
    Massimos
    Boun Appetito
    Finnegans
    Penneys (Headford Road)
    3 Mobile (Headford Road)

you condescending fcuker!! as if we need help finding out who's "hiring"!! can you not understand that these places have not got 11,000 (iPhone keeps auto correcting as I type!!) vacancies which is the amount of people on the dole in Galway!!! The competition for the small few jobs is so big ya don't even get receipt of your cv arriving for the last 2 years.

please politely stick your post up your hole you ignorant ****er!! (and that is not an autocomplete mistake just there!!)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 232 ✭✭eire.man

Aerohead wrote: »
    Its time to get them out of there nothing will ever be gained by them, if they have no work look for it thats what I done and got a job, the place looks like a kip.

it does not look like a kip and I wish my life was more like yours!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,741 ✭✭✭Irishgoatman

eire.man wrote: »
    it does not look like a kip and I wish my life was more like yours!!

As shakti said to hippygran a few posts ago, it's not worth wasting time responding to posts like that. which is why I've been a bit quiet. Some people live in their own little cocoons and don't appear to see what is happening around them.

One day they may wake up and wonder what's happened to their little, private world.

you condescending fcuker!! as if we need help finding out who's "hiring"!! can you not undertake these places have not got 77,000 vacancies which is the amount of people on the dole in Galway!!! The competition for the small few jobs is so big ya don't even get receipt of your cv arriving for the last 2 years.

please politely stick your post where...

I got my job in 2007, most places I applied for didn't acknowledge I gave them the CV or give me a rejection letter. So what?

I know a lot of people who lost their job but all found work again within 6 months at the longest.

Also if you've been looking for work in Galway city maybe you will have noticed that most places aren't posting their jobs online, they are putting signs in the window. Some signs are only up for a day. I would think it would be a good thing that somebody post the one's they've seen up. It would be tough for you occupiers to see the f'kin things when you are staying in the Square jacking off all day long. Shave, shower and look for a job. (That's not a stereotype either, that's from being down there and seeing the guys. Personal Hygiene goes a long way for employers)

77,000 vacancies which is the amount of people on the dole in Galway!!!
    http://www.galwaynews.ie/22537-unemployment-galway-drops-again
    There are 11,500 unemployed in the city with another 11,000 in the county.

It is an awful lot (and I expect to be joining the dole queue next year) but it is nowhere near 77,000

I got my job in 2007, most places I applied for didn't acknowledge I gave them the CV or give me a rejection letter. So what?

I know a lot of people who lost their job but all found work again within 6 months at the longest.

Also if you've been looking for work in Galway city maybe you will have noticed that most places aren't posting their jobs online, they are putting signs in the window. Some signs are only up for a day. I would think it would be a good thing that somebody post the one's they've seen up. It would be tough for you occupiers to see the f'kin things when you are staying in the Square jacking off all day long. Shave, shower and look for a job. (That's not a stereotype either, that's from being down there and seeing the guys. Personal Hygiene goes a long way for employers)

Ah, the personal insults again..always the last refuge for the ignorant. :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,741 ✭✭✭Irishgoatman

The last few sentences of this rant are, IMO, way out of order. Why all the anger I wonder.
    I'm surprised these insulting sentences got past the moderator.

As far as I'm aware the camp isn't about lack of jobs so much as against the reasons for the lack of jobs and the way the world is going down hill fast.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,163 ✭✭✭✭ben.schlomo

you condescending fcuker!! as if we need help finding out who's "hiring"!! can you not undertake these places have not got 77,000 vacancies which is the amount of people on the dole in Galway!!! The competition for the small few jobs is so big ya don't even get receipt of your cv arriving for the last 2 years.

please politely stick your post where...
    Hmmm? Seems your grasp of the figures is similar to a lot of the other stuff ye are coming up with up in Tahrir.....i mean Eyre Square. Keep fighting the power :rolleyes:.

The last few sentences of this rant are, IMO, way out of order. Why all the anger I wonder.
    I'm surprised these insulting sentences got past the moderator.

As far as I'm aware the camp isn't about lack of jobs so much as against the reasons for the lack of jobs and the way the world is going down hill fast.

I can't remember all of the signs I read. Seems like they changed them from when they first started. But anyway. It was an opinion. I can state for a fact, that some (pretty much most) of the campers I saw over about a 2 week stretch (I had time off work and was in for a look every day) had messy facial, messy hair (in some causes clumped together hair) and seemed to smell. But of course they would smell, they are showering but if you are camping in a tent for weeks you'll be dirty again just hanging around the tents.

I was for the occupy movements. I thought it was a good shout but just like with the Shell to Sea activists, it's being diluted by the few bad apples.

Also, from my own perspective. Seeing a girl with clumpy hair and woolie tattered clothing draped in a long yellow flags twirling it around is a picture of what a hippy is to me.

I'm not angry at all. I think they should go but stay for all I care. I'm not exactly calling for them to be forcefully moved. But I do call BS on some of the members.

This clip I doubt is representative of the protestors/activists but it is entertaining

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tsJPKMvWDmY

• Advertisement

http://www.galwaynews.ie/22537-unemployment-galway-drops-again
    There are 11,500 unemployed in the city with another 11,000 in the county.

It is an awful lot (and I expect to be joining the dole queue next year) but it is nowhere near 77,000

Wouldn't be suprised if it was around 77,000 not working or even more. But maybe I'm cynical. I remember it being published in papers months ago that people who are doing FAS courses get paid through FAS and don't go on the register and that they were fluffing the numbers to make it seem like unemployment isn't as bad as it is.

People on disability benefits, homeless people, drug addicts etc. There's a lot of other people who are not working and living off other benefits. I didn't know homeless people get money until last week. I'd be skeptical on that 11,500. Also don't forget the students, no signing on for them.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement