Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Occupy Galway Group (mod note added)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,741 ✭✭✭Irishgoatman

MadYaker wrote: »
    I asked the same thing many many pages ago in this thread but nobody answered.

So the mods banned the only guy from the camp that was answering our questions? Brilliant. Might as well close the thread now.

If by "guy" you mean person, then read some of the postings by Hippygran.

She's still down there, although she does have to go home from time to time to relieve the people who feed her animals and see the family. I hope no-one has any objections to her doing this?.

• Registered Users Posts: 255 ✭✭cat_xx

Would love to know how many of them are on the dole!

• Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

Why? What does it matter to you if some, or all, of them are on the dole?

• Registered Users Posts: 255 ✭✭cat_xx

biko wrote: »
    Why? What does it matter to you if some, or all, of them are on the dole?

Because we are essentially paying for them to sit around. There "goals" are unachievable and they would help the economy if they got actual jobs. There are jobs out there too, you just have to look.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,985 ✭✭✭skelliser

If the occupy protest get the IMF out how will we pay for public services?

this is the third time iv asked this.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,391 ✭✭✭inisboffin

I don't see how an unemployed person has less 'rights' than an employed person. How they become 'less than' if they are laid off from a job, or become more entitled to speak, the more money they have?

Also people are saying that there are a 'load' of hippies/dole people camped down there not looking for work. Others are saying there are only a couple of people actually staying there. Surely it can't be both?

I'll make the point again about looking for work. You can drop in a load of CVs / go online each day, and then go home and sit on your couch or be in a pub. I don't see how this is different to looking for work while living part time in a tent tbh. If that is the argument then those who volunteer for charities are also 'not available for work' while volunteering, and most of us wouldn't object to that.

skelliser wrote: »
    If the occupy protest get the IMF out how will we pay for public services?

this is the third time iv asked this.

skelliser, I asked the same directly of the folks in eyere sq. See below. From here
    well I was right. I was in town yesterday and spoke to some of them for over 25 mins

I got them to explain to me why they were there. One by one I picked apart everything they said to show how ridiculous their arguments were.

A summary of the conversations went something like this

First one:
    They want the IMF out
    - Ok, if they leave do they take their money with them?
    Yes
    - Who pays for the running of the country then?
    Take the money back out of the banks
    - Firstly that is no longer possible, its not "in" the banks, secondly if you could do that all banks in the country would go to the wall. Where would we get our money from then?
    errr, ummm, ahhh, err
    - exactly!

Next one:
    Government does not represent the people
    - but they were elected by democratic elections a year ago
    But they dont represent everyone, if they did they would be doing more to help
    - like what
    debt forgivness for people in arrears
    - so if there is debt forgiveness, what happens to that debt
    its written off
    - but who takes the loss?
    the banks
    - so you're saying that the loss-making banks which require billions of aid to stay afloat should take more losses
    yes, screw 'em
    - you do realise that if that is done it will result in the banks requiring billions more in aid
    errr, ummm, err
    - exactly!

and so on

Dont get me wrong, I have nothing against people having a protest, however these occupy movements are among the most stupid things i have ever witnessed in my life

Well-meaning people protesting with a set of demands that would cause the national & global economies to implode if enacted achieves nothing more than making a few people morally superior to others

• Registered Users Posts: 2,985 ✭✭✭skelliser

although i dont dismiss your account DaCor i would like to here from someone involved.

I like yourself have nothing against peoples right to protest but protesting about vague slogans belittles any real attempt others may have.

And the defense of "at least we are doing something" is a nonsense imo.

we are all frustrated and angry with whats gone/going on and i for one am looking for a fair and reasonable solution.
    To date the occupy protest hasnt offered this to me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 902 ✭✭✭scholar007

I have some questions for the "brave people" "occupying" Eyre Square which I'm sure they won't mind answering.

How do you sustain yourselves? i.e Do you work?

What mandate do you have to pitch tents in Eyre Square?

Is it not a bit awkward leaving your possessions in a tent in a public place while you go to earn a living? I assume you earn a living and are not dependent on the taxpayer by way of dole. I assume that some of you work days and some work nights so your possessions are safe?

What's with the pallets? I hope no trees were harmed in the production of said pallets.

When you come back to your "abode" in Eyre Square after a days graft, how do you cook / wash?

Do you wash?

Have you engaged in other such "protests" elsewhere and if so is that not a bit awkward when trying to hold down a job? Surely such people as yourselves with very high morals who are prepared to protest against the evils of capitalism don't expect to be funded via the dole i.e. hardworking people?

Do you claim the dole (surely not)?

• Registered Users Posts: 45,495 ✭✭✭✭Bobeagleburger

skelliser, I asked the same directly of the folks in eyere sq. See below. From here

Sums the whole thing up-a waste of time by people who need to educate themselves about what is actually happening.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 172 ✭✭padraig91

scholar007 wrote: »
    I have some questions for the "brave people" "occupying" Eyre Square which I'm sure they won't mind answering.

How do you sustain yourselves? i.e Do you work?

What mandate do you have to pitch tents in Eyre Square?

Is it not a bit awkward leaving your possessions in a tent in a public place while you go to earn a living? I assume you earn a living and are not dependent on the taxpayer by way of dole. I assume that some of you work days and some work nights so your possessions are safe?

What's with the pallets? I hope no trees were harmed in the production of said pallets.

When you come back to your "abode" in Eyre Square after a days graft, how do you cook / wash?

Do you wash?

Have you engaged in other such "protests" elsewhere and if so is that not a bit awkward when trying to hold down a job? Surely such people as yourselves with very high morals who are prepared to protest against the evils of capitalism don't expect to be funded via the dole i.e. hardworking people?

Do you claim the dole (surely not)?

well from what i have seen as i walk by to the bus stop each morning is they have a cooker in the big blue tent, that must be legal or some sort of fire hazard

to b e quite honest i hope one of them dies in the frost that is going to come over the next few weeks, then perhaps the rest of them would **** off. also you can be sure all the pallets will be left there when they leave

Mod note user banned

• Closed Accounts Posts: 48 JellyBeans123

padraig91 wrote: »
    well from what i have seen as i walk by to the bus stop each morning is they have a cooker in the big blue tent, that must be legal or some sort of fire hazard

to b e quite honest i hope one of them dies in the frost that is going to come over the next few weeks, then perhaps the rest of them would **** off. also you can be sure all the pallets will be left there when they leave

Listen, I am completely against the Occupy Galway group for all the reasons mentioned above.

However, I cannot believe the comment you just made there. That comment is sick. Regardless of what they're doing, to wish death on ANYBODY is completely wrong.

You should take a long hard look at yourself.

• Registered Users Posts: 45,495 ✭✭✭✭Bobeagleburger

Seriously, wtf

inisboffin wrote: »
    I don't see how an unemployed person has less 'rights' than an employed person. How they become 'less than' if they are laid off from a job, or become more entitled to speak, the more money they have?

Also people are saying that there are a 'load' of hippies/dole people camped down there not looking for work. Others are saying there are only a couple of people actually staying there. Surely it can't be both?

I'll make the point again about looking for work. You can drop in a load of CVs / go online each day, and then go home and sit on your couch or be in a pub. I don't see how this is different to looking for work while living part time in a tent tbh. If that is the argument then those who volunteer for charities are also 'not available for work' while volunteering, and most of us wouldn't object to that.

I have no problems with people being unemployed or being on the dole once they did not leave secondary school and go straight on the dole and never do anything with there lives
    i know one guy who is all about occupy galway and he rarely came into school and he has been on the dole since its those sort of people who annoy me the sort who cant be bothered and then are a burden for the rest of us. and im not great myself i failed the leaving cert then i had to do a course to get into college then i did my first year of electronic and computer engineering and failed that so i got a job in my field (with only one year of college) and im going back at the end of the year to repeat my exams

so i dont want to hear how there are no jobs for people out of school and that people who failed the leaving cert have no options because they do and some of them become useless twats and the rest of us have to support them

Listen, I am completely against the Occupy Galway group for all the reasons mentioned above.

However, I cannot believe the comment you just made there. That comment is sick. Regardless of what they're doing, to wish death on ANYBODY is completely wrong.

You should take a long hard look at yourself.

I have and i can only come to the conclusion that i am in fact awesome
    so sorry if i was a bit harsh in what i said
    however i know none of them will die in the frostbite wouldnt go amiss

• Registered Users Posts: 4,391 ✭✭✭inisboffin

I have no problems with people being unemployed or being on the dole once they did not leave secondary school and go straight on the dole and never do anything with there lives
    i know one guy who is all about occupy galway and he rarely came into school and he has been on the dole since its those sort of people who annoy me the sort who cant be bothered and then are a burden for the rest of us. and im not great myself i failed the leaving cert then i had to do a course to get into college then i did my first year of electronic and computer engineering and failed that so i got a job in my field (with only one year of college) and im going back at the end of the year to repeat my exams

so i dont want to hear how there are no jobs for people out of school and that people who failed the leaving cert have no options because they do and some of them become useless twats and the rest of us have to support them

Well I am delighted that you were afforded the opportunity of a full and rounded secondary school opportunity, and did not have to leave for any family or other reasons. It seems, however, that sentence structure, the use of capital letters and the correct use of 'their', were taught on a day that perhaps you were ill? Perhaps language skills are no longer deemed necessary on a C.V. though, and I am out of touch.

Now I've gone and fallen for the troll..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 902 ✭✭✭scholar007

to be quite honest i hope one of them dies in the frost that is going to come over the next few weeks, then perhaps the rest of them would **** off. also you can be sure all the pallets will be left there when they leave

.....frost? - I think the wind tonight will do for them. Beware of low flying tents in the Eyre Square area! Oh and pallets too! :D

Galway airport should issue a warning to aircraft - Whoops! forgot they closed that!

I have and i can only come to the conclusion that i am in fact awesome
    You are in fact banned from thread and forum for wishing death on the protesters.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,741 ✭✭✭Irishgoatman

inisboffin wrote: »
    Well I am delighted that you were afforded the opportunity of a full and rounded secondary school opportunity, and did not have to leave for any family or other reasons. It seems, however, that sentence structure, the use of capital letters and the correct use of 'their', were taught on a day that perhaps you were ill? Perhaps language skills are no longer deemed necessary on a C.V. though, and I am out of touch.

Now I've gone and fallen for the troll..

You have my sympathy!. I've been pulling my hair out in resisting making the type of reply that you've made. I'm glad that I'm not the only one who finds bad english, (with a lower case "e" of course), and grammar frustrating when used by that sort of person.

Well done biko for banning him. So out of order even for a troll.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,371 ✭✭✭Fuinseog

how is that the council has permitted the encampment? I mean can I pitch my tent on shop street and stay there indefinitely or do I need the safety of numbers.

not in galway at the moment, so maybe someone can clarify- have you the christmas market and the encampment coexisting beside each other?

surely one of them lowers the tone.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,488 ✭✭✭✭thesandeman

To be honest I think this thread should be closed for the moment.
    As I said earlier on Im totally neutral about OG.
    After reading the thread back again somebody wants to set fire to the camp and another hopes somebody involved dies!!
    I really think some of the posters/ex-posters here should be reffered(sp) to AGS under the incitement to hatred/violence laws.
    Im no expert in that stuff but Im sure somebody reading is and I will be quite happy to back anybody up who knows how its done.
    Its not the Galway I grew up in :-(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,391 ✭✭✭✭mikom

Fuinseog wrote: »

not in galway at the moment, so maybe someone can clarify- have you the christmas market and the encampment coexisting beside each other?

surely one of them lowers the tone.

Yeah, the Christmas market.
    Much worse than last year.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,956 ✭✭✭Doc Ruby

mikom wrote: »
    Yeah, the Christmas market.
    Much worse than last year.
    Except for the roast pork.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,391 ✭✭✭✭mikom

Doc Ruby wrote: »
    Except for the roast pork.

The Germans get to laugh at the Jews again.
    Those crafty buggers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 865 ✭✭✭FlashD

Its not the Galway I grew up in :-(

Really?

It takes all sorts to make up this world, I don't see how Galway has ever been any different.

Not everyone in the city has had a privalaged fairytale upbringing.

Regards.

mikom banned from thread.

• Registered Users Posts: 532 ✭✭✭Gingko

Some of the anti protest comments have been sickening. These people are quite uneducated and they are indeed the ones with the chip on their shoulders. Mods are right to ban them. Maith thú!

People on both sides are losing sight of the original primary objective, the fundamental issue that as innocent citizens we should not be made pay for the banks corruption, greed and diabolical mistakes! It is not our debt to pay!! This is morally wrong in so many ways!

It will be interesting to see what the new group "New Beginning" will achieve with the threat of a mass mortgage strike? http://www.newbeginning.ie/

• Registered Users Posts: 5,371 ✭✭✭Fuinseog

Gingko wrote: »
    Some of the anti protest comments have been sickening. These people are quite uneducated and they are indeed the ones with the chip on their shoulders. Mods are right to ban them. Maith thú!

People on both sides are losing sight of the original primary objective, the fundamental issue that as innocent citizens we should not be made pay for the banks corruption, greed and diabolical mistakes! It is not our debt to pay!! This is morally wrong in so many ways!

It will be interesting to see what the new group "New Beginning" will achieve with the threat of a mass mortgage strike? http://www.newbeginning.ie/

there are no innocents here. we all enjoyed the party while it was on. Now we have to put up with he hangover.
    why should hardworking citizens in other member states finance our reckless ways.
    we voted the politicians into power even when they were making mistakes. the only thing that counted was that we could maintain celtic tiger lifestyles and that our property could be sold for a vast amount of money, much more than it was actually worth.

• Registered Users Posts: 532 ✭✭✭Gingko

Fuinseog wrote: »
    there are no innocents here. we all enjoyed the party while it was on. Now we have to put up with he hangover.
    why should hardworking citizens in other member states finance our reckless ways.
    we voted the politicians into power even when they were making mistakes. the only thing that counted was that we could maintain celtic tiger lifestyles and that our property could be sold for a vast amount of money, much more than it was actually worth.

Ah now in fairness??? Do not the blame the strong majority of people! Even during the boom years I think Fianna Fáil polled at about 40%, so the other 60% didn't vote for them? The banks went rogue on us! Pathetic FF Government aside it was still the likes of Sean Fitzpatrick who has ultimately done more damage?

As for other member states, Greece, Portugal, Spain, Italy and possibly France are in difficulty too. And Germany had much banking corruption a few years back too. We can only wait and see how it all pans out. The banking system itself is not democratic nor sustainable regardless and whilst I believe Europe and Ireland will get through these current difficult times, In the longterm the monetary system is doomed. It's just one big unsustainable money pyramid!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 865 ✭✭✭FlashD

Gingko wrote: »
    the fundamental issue that as innocent citizens we should not be made pay for the banks corruption, greed and diabolical mistakes! It is not our debt to pay!! This is morally wrong in so many ways!

In fairness, I don't know what planet you have been living on for the last 10 years but I saw plenty of 'innocent citizens' (as you call them) who partied hard during the boom years with bags of borrowed cash from the banks.

I believe these 'innocent citzens' also need to pay their debts. They were well able to spend ....now let them pay it back!

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement