Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Occupy Galway Group (mod note added)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,741 ✭✭✭Irishgoatman

JustMary wrote: »
    They're still there now. Steam or smoke (i couldn't tell which) rising from outside one tent.

Of course they're still there. 7 tents and about 15 people stayed the distance. Not many, I'll agree, but remember that great oaks from little acorns.... etc.

Apart from the square being noisy they had no problems overnight as I understand.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,967 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

What sort of oaks do you have in mind? I'm not sure i fancy eyre square as a halting site ...

biko wrote: »
    The only people I can see not wanting to protest would be the people in the red line below.

0cc6a.jpg

lol @ the figures

5 * 20% + 1% = 101%

This occupy movement is one of the most ridiculous things I've ever seen. Half of these people don't even know what they want and the other half that do, they don't seem to understand that somebody, somewhere, has to pay for it.

One of the more stupid things I hear talked about is that we should pull our own money (savings), the govt emergency funds & pull the guarentee out of the banks and leave the banks to fall/fail. Guess what, if that happens good luck trying to get money out of a cash machine, there won't be anything in it.

I've known people like these folks all through my life. They want to complain about things being unfair. Ah god luv 'em. You want more, you work for it and you earn it. Nothing in this life is free.

Anyone who wants a counter point to this occupy lark check out "We are the 53%" - http://the53.tumblr.com/

• Registered Users Posts: 4,391 ✭✭✭inisboffin

Sponge Bob wrote: »
    inisboffin wrote: »
    Think as evening wears on the crowd got younger.
    Do tell me when An Taisce write a letter complaining about this mess to the Galway papers. :D

??

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 12,333 ✭✭✭✭JONJO THE MISER

JustMary wrote: »
    They're still there now. Steam or smoke (i couldn't tell which) rising from outside one tent.

No surprise, why dont the cops go down and search them for drugs, im sure they have some.
    Of course they dont mind buying drugs and supporting the criminal gangs who do more damage than any evil corporation would.

• Advertisement

No surprise, why dont the cops go down and search them for drugs, im sure they have some.
    Of course they dont mind buying drugs and supporting the criminal gangs who do more damage than any evil corporation would.

People wouldn't have to use criminals to buy drugs if most of them we legal (as they should be).

Bit of a difference between a lifestyle choice that forces you into the hands of undesirables and supporting them by choice, as you point towards.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,985 ✭✭✭skelliser

are they staying the indefinitely?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,571 ✭✭✭Red_Wake

People wouldn't have to use criminals to buy drugs if most of them we legal (as they should be).

Bit of a difference between a lifestyle choice that forces you into the hands of undesirables and supporting them by choice, as you point towards.

Which drugs would you legalise?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,332 ✭✭✭desaparecidos

So what has been achieved buy this "occupation". What has changed?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,850 ✭✭✭FouxDaFaFa

So what has been achieved buy this "occupation". What has changed?
    Well, Eyre Square looks even more bizarre than it did before.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 83 ✭✭Surfacezebra

Well done,people(Irish) here really let the gov do as they want,pay back the bondholders,give useless regulators huge pay offs for not doing their jobs,let all the big wigs default on their loans while still driving big cars and living the good life.The list is endless,at least these people are trying to get change!

• Registered Users Posts: 215 ✭✭Eman Resu

Pity it will make about as much difference as a toddler with a sandcastle bucket would make to rising sea levels.

Interesting read on Freakonomics about protests (in general).

• Registered Users Posts: 301 ✭✭Bozacke

Eman Resu wrote: »
    Pity it will make about as much difference as a toddler with a sandcastle bucket would make to rising sea levels.

I can't believe how apathetic people are. These people aren't crying out for handouts, they are just fed-up with corporate greed and the misappropriation of wealth. Unless you are part of the less than 1% that has the majority of the wealth in the world or you're just stupid, you should be behind them.

Overall the opinion is that democracy no longer exists, since all power is in the hands of the 1%, it's just average people expressing their outrage in the current value system which places materialism before human life, liberty, and justice. Example: company lays off 1000s - company's stock value rises! Most working class families I know haven't seen a raise in income in at least 5 years, some longer. Many have lost jobs and all have had increases in mortgages, taxes, etc! Meanwhile the immoral executives of the big Corporations have seen exponential gains in their incomes. Plus, after committing fraud and bringing the entire world's economy to the brink of collapse, not a single executive is arrested and the likes of David Drumm, Sean Fitzpatrick, the Quinn family etc are still living the life of luxury.

The protesters are the 99% who have not benefited from the various financial bailouts, tax breaks, and other subsidies that the dominant 1% of the population have gained over the past several years. This represents over 99% of the population who are students, workers, homemakers, the unemployed and retired whose savings and investments were either wiped out or greatly diminished by the economic fluctuations starting in 2007. Those that lost their homes, will loose their home or are in negative equity struggling to make ends meet and their homes are now worth a fraction of what they originally paid and those who have never owned a home and don’t expect to ever be able to. They are the newly poor who wonder how everything for which they worked hard vanished so quickly and worry how themselves and their families are going to survive. It's scary to think what will happen if something isn't done soon and this trend continues. You may be OK now, but the writing is on the wall, the rich are getting more and more and the rest of us are being forced to pay more. We need a fairer system and greater accountability for public officials and corporate executives, and those guilty of committing these crimes should pay for those crimes just like anyone else.

Bozacke wrote: »
    I can't believe how apathetic people are. These people aren't crying out for handouts, they are just fed-up with corporate greed and the misappropriation of wealth. Unless you are part of the less than 1% that has the majority of the wealth in the world or you're just stupid, you should be behind them.

Overall the opinion is that democracy no longer exists, since all power is in the hands of the 1%, it's just average people expressing their outrage in the current value system which places materialism before human life, liberty, and justice. Example: company lays off 1000s - company's stock value rises! Most working class families I know haven't seen a raise in income in at least 5 years, some longer. Many have lost jobs and all have had increases in mortgages, taxes, etc! Meanwhile the immoral executives of the big Corporations have seen exponential gains in their incomes. Plus, after committing fraud and bringing the entire world's economy to the brink of collapse, not a single executive is arrested and the likes of David Drumm, Sean Fitzpatrick, the Quinn family etc are still living the life of luxury.

The protesters are the 99% who have not benefited from the various financial bailouts, tax breaks, and other subsidies that the dominant 1% of the population have gained over the past several years. This represents over 99% of the population who are students, workers, homemakers, the unemployed and retired whose savings and investments were either wiped out or greatly diminished by the economic fluctuations starting in 2007. Those that lost their homes, will loose their home or are in negative equity struggling to make ends meet and their homes are now worth a fraction of what they originally paid and those who have never owned a home and don’t expect to ever be able to. They are the newly poor who wonder how everything for which they worked hard vanished so quickly and worry how themselves and their families are going to survive. It's scary to think what will happen if something isn't done soon and this trend continues. You may be OK now, but the writing is on the wall, the rich are getting more and more and the rest of us are being forced to pay more. We need a fairer system and greater accountability for public officials and corporate executives, and those guilty of committing these crimes should pay for those crimes just like anyone else.

And a facebook fueled sleep over in Eyre Square is going to achieve that how exactly?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,034 ✭✭✭Ficheall

It just seems to me that a lot of these protestors are unhappy that there are others better off than they are. All other things being equal, if the entire 1% and their money disappeared overnight - would the same crowds then camp out to raise funds for people in third world countries with ACTUAL problems?

Here is a youtube vid I found from the march in Dublin.

One thing raised/being discussed in this thread is that it's 'hippies' and no one with children/grandchildren. From this clip, the Dublin demographic looks quite large. Not just hippies.

Ficheall wrote: »
    It just seems to me that a lot of these protestors are unhappy that there are others better off than they are. All other things being equal, if the entire 1% and their money disappeared overnight - would the same crowds then camp out to raise funds for people in third world countries with ACTUAL problems?

Some would, some wouldn't. Also there'd be an argument put to you that if the 1% went away magically, then a lot the actual problems *themselves* would possibly go away too!

• Registered Users Posts: 451 ✭✭Pure Sound

We should all be out supporting the protests instead of making accusations about the type of person that protests. No wonder people don't show up for them when there is a fear in Irish society that you will be labelled just because you disagree with the powers that be. The world is financially unfair which is pretty obvious, Capitalism is in fact made for inequality so that certain aspects of society control the rest.

Reading through this thread it seems that some posters on here think that inequality is ok or is it just another chance to sneer at others because they are a bit different. I was talking to some of the protesters last night and they seemed like decent people who were just sick of the inequalities.

Why should the people with the least amount of money have to pay for a banking crisis that was caused by the people with the most amounts of money. Are they wrong for protesting against such a clear injustice?

Protesting does nothing.

If you want change, you need a forceful revolution.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,173 ✭✭✭Wompa1

I'd join the protestors if they distanced themselves from the Rossport ****e...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 56 ✭✭higamos hogamos

I would regard billions being cut from state expenditure on a myriad of useful causes such as- y'know the health system, education, infrastructure etc, etc and being spent elsewhere, i.e. the Irish financial system, as an ACTUAL problem.

Of course there are many parts of the world that are in a far worse way than Galway. Many parts of Ireland too for that matter, but that doesn't mean that people are not allowed to voice dissatisfaction with how they see their country being governed. That's right VOICING dissatisfaction, as opposed to posting dissatisfaction.

Perhaps I have the wrong idea. Sure maybe things are grand after all! I should be thankful that I live in a country of such bountiful opportunity. Where as a college graduate my employment options are as diverse and exciting as they presently are. Option One- Working a basic job for a basic wage, who knows I may even get a name badge. Option Two- The Dole, it is supposedly a lifestyle choice these days after all! . Option Three- A trip to a foreign employment destination, a true jet-set existence! Anyway I can think about all this while attending all the going away parties for people I grew up with. Every grey cloud I suppose.

I don't agree with everything these protesters are talking about but I'm not going to dismiss them out of hand because some, god forbid, have long hair and have the temerity to write slogans on pieces of cardboard. There's been the usual predictable sultans of scoff guff on display here that message boards seemingly need like oxygen.

Sure their demands, if that's even the right word, are vague and sometimes not very well thought through. Ultimately though I don't even regard that as the crux of the issue. I think what's most important is that the estrangement and disconnect between ordinary people and the political and economic establishment has gone from something remarked upon on a bar stool to something acted upon in the public place. Not just here, globally. And if a tiny place like Galway is getting in on the act somethings definitely afoot. Nobody is quaking in their boots yet about a few tents, but from small acorns....

A lot of the posts so far could be summed up in a terse statement- Those people are unwashed hippies. Somewhat dodges the issue of whether there's any merit in OG's grievances
    One would be forgiven for thinking that most people here think Ireland is being run beautifully. I suppose, to be fair, we did get a pat on the back there recently from the EU. Essentially for not being Greece and being somewhat well behaved in our economic insolvency and cultural stagnation.
    I can still hear that endorsement ringing.

Bottom line seems to be. Don't rock the boat. When things are not going well stick with what you know, the Irish political way- political apathy, or, if feeling more engaged with the world- good old fashioned Irish political cynicism. Sure who knows we may even become ridiculously politically aware and vote every 4/5 years in a general election. Tick the box, shuffle the TDs around, keep the same staff in every government department. That's it, the full gamut of options Change you can believe in!

Don't mind your protesting, sure that's only for hippies.

• Registered Users Posts: 477 ✭✭ted2767

We should all be out supporting the protests instead of making accusations about the type of person that protests. No wonder people don't show up for them when there is a fear in Irish society that you will be labelled just because you disagree with the powers that be. The world is financially unfair which is pretty obvious, Capitalism is in fact made for inequality so that certain aspects of society control the rest.

Reading through this thread it seems that some posters on here think that inequality is ok or is it just another chance to sneer at others because they are a bit different. I was talking to some of the protesters last night and they seemed like decent people who were just sick of the inequalities.

Why should the people with the least amount of money have to pay for a banking crisis that was caused by the people with the most amounts of money. Are they wrong for protesting against such a clear injustice?

Here here thank God someone else on here has a bit of cop on.
    You might not agree with a protester but in a democracy everyone has the right to protest.
    In this case it is different we are all going to have to pay for the greed of bankers and developers everyone, our children our grandchildren will have higher taxes and suffer decreased services as a result of sheer stupidity and greed and we're supposed to lie down say nothing and just act like a bitch?
    I appluad these protesters at least they exercise their right to express an opinion.
    I am dismayed at anyone who dismisses protesters as "lefties" or "loonies" it displays a narrow mindedness which in this situation is shocking.
    Look at superquinn backed by a Galway based developer, the greed his group displayed will probably cost the taxpayer €100/€200 million, how many special needs teachers is that, how many hip operations for our parents etc and we are supposed to just lay down and not raise our voices?
    These protestors are doing a service and should be applauded not mocked.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,885 ✭✭✭PomBear

I would join the protest if (insert irrelevant excuse here)

• Registered Users Posts: 9,034 ✭✭✭Ficheall

Also there'd be an argument put to you that if the 1% went away magically, then a lot the actual problems *themselves* would possibly go away too!
    Really? Aside from the answer "Magically!", how might the actual problems go away?

PomBear wrote: »
    I would join the protest if (insert irrelevant excuse here)

how is it irrelevant. The protestors are asking for the oil and gas resources to be returned to Ireland right now...that's f'kin stupid. I'm not putting my name to that.

Really? Aside from the answer "Magically!", how might the actual problems go away?

If we get into discussing how world finances and politics are intertwined we'll definitely derail this thread. Off the top of my head: Politically caused famines, destruction of natural resources for wealth leading to famine.

Back on topic - Just out of curiosity - are the people on here simply objecting to the Galway protest *just* objecting to the Galway one, or is just in Ireland, or Europe, or to *all* the 'occupy' protests?

If we get into discussing how world finances and politics are intertwined we'll definitely derail this thread. Off the top of my head: Politically caused famines, destruction of natural resources for wealth leading to famine.

Back on topic - Just out of curiosity - are the people on here simply objecting to the Galway protest *just* objecting to the Galway one, or is just in Ireland, or Europe, or to *all* the 'occupy' protests?

I don't object to the protests. More power to them but the Irish protests are protesting things I'm not so passionate about. If it was just about the distribution of wealth than I'd be more actively supportive

• Registered Users Posts: 301 ✭✭Bozacke

And a facebook fueled sleep over in Eyre Square is going to achieve that how exactly?
    Hopefully this is just the beginning, Rome wasn't built in a day. The unbalance in wealth has annoyed me for a long time and things are just getting worse. I've been saying for a long time that the only way things will ever be righted is a revolution and maybe this is the beginning. I assume you aren't part of the 1% since very few are and I hope you never feel the pain of unemployment and the squeeze that the rich are putting slowly but surely on the rest of the world. The had a lot, but that wasn't enough, they want it all and eventually that greed will be their downfall. I just can't understand how people cannot see this be so apathetic about the protesters.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,985 ✭✭✭skelliser

well i for one want to know exactly what they are protesting against?

is it the bailouts?
    well they happened nearly 3 years ago. The horse has most definitely bolted in that regard.
    is it the lack of perceived democracy in ireland?
    well there was an election a few months ago, i voted for the independents.
    were was this group etc.
    Is it for the corrib gas field?
    well if ye can create a company with the expertise and money to drill the wells then more power to ye. Until then we have to bring in the oil and gas companies.
    is it the tax exiles?
    i agree they should pay tax.
    is it the lack of accountability?
    nobody ever gets fired from the public service.

I for one am well aware of the problems with this country as are alot of people.
    and yes i admit to whinging and moaning here. but this occupy thing makes no sense to me. Iv thought long and hard about how best to tackle these issues and protesting just doesnt work in Ireland. If anything this thread proves it. The irish are apathic. The only group it worked for in the past 30 years was the pensioners and the teachers union.

My suggestion is to stop following this occupy thing and do what i suggested earlier in the thread and occupy the NAMA ghost estates.
    You will not only get your publicity but you will expose the corrupt nature of this country by exposing the hyprocrisy that is NAMA in a very real sense.
    At the end of the day this recession/credit crisis began in the US with sub prime leading to buy houses. Houses and mortgages are at the very heart of this mess so why not go back to where it began.

This "im mad as hell and not gonna take anymore of it" approach just exposes ye for being il-informed and at worst belittling any real attempt to challenge the status-que.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement