Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Occupy Galway Group (mod note added)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 532 ✭✭✭Gingko

Fuinseog wrote: »
    just heard a rumour that the occupy Galway were paid to move their camp to another part of the square. if they were to set up camp on shop street would it also be tolerated?

Rumours eh?

• Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

Let's leave rumours and "my mate said that..." at the door.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,371 ✭✭✭Fuinseog

it could only be a rumour and a ridiculous one at that. The council only pays travellers to move on.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,741 ✭✭✭Irishgoatman

It's such a shame that most of the anti movement posts are coming from people who appear to be totally ignorant with regard to the state of the country and the world.

I suppose that just having a go at the protesters, as opposed to what they are there for, is easier than engaging the brain and understanding the mess we're in.

I suspect that in time they will have no choice but to look and listen.

Perhaps it will be too late.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,985 ✭✭✭skelliser

It's such a shame that most of the anti movement posts are coming from people who appear to be totally ignorant with regard to the state of the country and the world.

I suppose that just having a go at the protesters, as opposed to what they are there for, is easier than engaging the brain and understanding the mess we're in.

sorry but i gotta take issue with this.

iv asked numerous times what are the aims and how will they be achieved.
    only to be met with nothing and sometimes insults.

its pretty annoying at this stage!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

There's a reason 2 Governments now don't want to burn banks, bondholders etc. and are introducing austerity budgets.

I might disagree with how effective these will be but the idea is to ensure the 2 main expenditure categories in the state, SW which accounts for 37% and Public Service pay 25%, 62% in total do not have to take frightening and severe cuts.

Politicians would love to burn banks and bondholders, sure why wouldn't they? Extremely popular and would win votes. So there must be some other reason? Some reason they wont.

They also hate increasing taxes, particularly in this country that has become accustomed to low PAYE taxes, so they must think the alternative solution is terrible? Right?

As for the oil and gas, it's extremely debatable how much is off shore and we have to rely on Government and private company estimates of potential reserves. Oil and gas companies continuously over estimate these resources, Govts. too. I mean, you'd hardly take Shell and the likes estimates of what is available seriously?

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,892 ✭✭✭Head The Wall

I don't think you read the piece properly.
    The writer says"... many...prance around in suits" , not ALL. The writer is, of course, referring to the Bankers etc who, mainly, caused the problems. Not ordinary people who choose to wear a suit.
    He or she also refers to the people in suits as having no solutions, not the protesters, which your post seems to suggest.
    If you're ill, you go to a person who, you hope, will have the answer, your Doctor. YOU are not expected to solve the problem. That's what experts are for. All anyone else can do is point out the symptoms/problems not find the cure
    As for the people who publicly criticise the Occupy Movement in Galway, well we should look more closely at these people and their "fruits". Many of them prance around in expensive suits, full of their own self-importance, expecting people to pay homage to them.

You may not like to hear it but I don't wear an expensive suit and neither do any of the people I have spoken to about this movement. I won't speak for the rest of the boardsies on this thread but I wouldn't just presume they all wear expensive suits.

It may suit your argument to believe that it's only the 1% that are slating the movement but here's a newsflash for you, I am part of the 99% you claim to represent and so are all the people I have spoken to about this. The movement is a joke in Ireland, I won't speak for other countries so I am basing it on the 4 ridiculous claims already put out there by the group.

People are not in denial about the situation the country is in, there has been some very reasoned debate on the issues here. The way that ye want to resolve it though has been picked apart and the only response we hear is to "come down to talk to us". Maybe if the aims made a bit of sense or seemed more achievable people would come along voluntarily to the camp to discuss it further. They don't though; so why would people go down to listen to rubbish notions. Hearing them in person will not make a rubbish idea seem any less rubbish.

skelliser wrote: »

As I've said before, just because someone can see the problem doesn't mean they can fix it! That's what experts are for.

No, you should not be insulted, but I understand that the protesters get asked some pretty dumb-ass questions at times and perhaps their patience wears thin.

I find this post incredibly arrogant.

Just because we don't agree with the movement doesn't mean we are ignorant or that we haven't engaged our brains.

The protest has been going since mid October - what has it achieved in that time?
    Has it come up with any suggestions or solutions to improve the state of the country and the world or even Galway?

In the mean time this state has spent approximately €1,700,000,000.00 more on day to day spending than it has collected in taxes - that is the mess we are in.

And for those of us who do look and listen even when we don't agree -
    The occupy Galway open discussion group on Facebook:http://www.facebook.com/groups/occupygalway/ has been superseded by a closed group: http://www.facebook.com/groups/occupygalway.discuss/
    It doesn't exactly encourage engagement with the protest.

You may not like to hear it but I don't wear an expensive suit and neither do any of the people I have spoken to about this movement. I won't speak for the rest of the boardsies on this thread but I wouldn't just presume they all wear expensive suits.

It may suit your argument to believe that it's only the 1% that are slating the movement but here's a newsflash for you, I am part of the 99% you claim to represent and so are all the people I have spoken to about this. The movement is a joke in Ireland, I won't speak for other countries so I am basing it on the 4 ridiculous claims already put out there by the group.

People are not in denial about the situation the country is in, there has been some very reasoned debate on the issues here. The way that ye want to resolve it though has been picked apart and the only response we hear is to "come down to talk to us". Maybe if the aims made a bit of sense or seemed more achievable people would come along voluntarily to the camp to discuss it further. They don't though; so why would people go down to listen to rubbish notions. Hearing them in person will not make a rubbish idea seem any less rubbish.

Hold on a second!!.

I am not, and have never claimed to be part of the Occupy Galway Group.
    I suggest you read the postings with a little more care if you want anyone to believe that you know what you are talking about.:mad:

I have never made any statement about people wearing suits other than to comment, along with others, on a newspaper article.

Do not criticize others unless you have your facts right.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,892 ✭✭✭Head The Wall

Hold on a second!!.

I am not, and have never claimed to be part of the Occupy Galway Group.
    I suggest you read the postings with a little more care if you want anyone to believe that you know what you are talking about.:mad:

I have never made any statement about people wearing suits other than to comment, along with others, on a newspaper article.

Do not criticize others unless you have your facts right.

I have my facts right, your comment was trying to say that the writer of the article is referring to the bankers when they reference people in suits.

I am telling you and the Occupy group that it is not just the 1% that have an issue with this group and we don't like being tarred as prancing around in suits which is exactly what that article was saying.

I find this post incredibly arrogant.

Just because we don't agree with the movement doesn't mean we are ignorant or that we haven't engaged our brains.

The protest has been going since mid October - what has it achieved in that time?
    Has it come up with any suggestions or solutions to improve the state of the country and the world or even Galway?

In the mean time this state has spent approximately €1,700,000,000.00 more on day to day spending than it has collected in taxes - that is the mess we are in.

And for those of us who do look and listen even when we don't agree -
    The occupy Galway open discussion group on Facebook:http://www.facebook.com/groups/occupygalway/ has been superseded by a closed group: http://www.facebook.com/groups/occupygalway.discuss/
    It doesn't exactly encourage engagement with the protest.

If you are not ignorant with regard to the state/mess we're in and have engaged your brain in regard to what can/should be done about it, then please do not include yourself amongst those I was referring to.

I have my facts right, your comment was trying to say that the writer of the article is referring to the bankers when they reference people in suits.

I am telling you and the Occupy group that it is not just the 1% that have an issue with this group and we don't like being tarred as prancing around in suits which is exactly what that article was saying.

This is going nowhere.

I spent a lot of years working in situations where most of us wore suits, but we still spoke of the people from the top floor, the CEO, Chairman, directors etc, as THE SUITS.
    It has always been used to refer to the very top management.

Where as we would take our jackets off, they were always dressed correctly.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,164 ✭✭✭✭ben.schlomo

So its now week number ??? of the OG and they have yet to come up with a considered plan or theory of how they are going to achieve their unstated goals. Wind is gone completely out of their sails in my opinion. Very little talk about them now bar asking when they will be taken out of the Square.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,925 ✭✭✭Storm 10

This is going nowhere.

Of course its going nowhere like your friends in the Square, complete waste of time trying to make out they can solve the problems.

Storm 10 wrote: »
    This is going nowhere.

Of course its going nowhere like your friends in the Square, complete waste of time trying to make out they can solve the problems.

I don't know if the people in the square have ever said that they can solve the problems or that they even have the answers to the problems.
    BUT, at least they are pointing out publicly what the problems are and not burying their heads and keeping quiet the way most of us have been doing. And YES I include myself in that last group.

So its now week number ??? of the OG and they have yet to come up with a considered plan or theory of how they are going to achieve their unstated goals. Wind is gone completely out of their sails in my opinion. Very little talk about them now bar asking when they will be taken out of the Square.

Ben, This is a pointless argument? The occupy movement is happening in hundreds of squares and plazas all over the world at the same time. It is an initial natural reaction to what is been inflicted on people everywhere. It takes time for new born movements to become 100% on their ideology, exact goals and indeed answers.

I'm originally from the border and watched my community rip itself and it's own town centres apart before they could focus on how to deal with bringing about real change and justice. They finally have more or less and there is now equality and democracy in the north if still not ideal.

This new movement needs to be allowed more time for more organising, meetings, public debate etc. Once again I am not a member of the Occupy group but I strongly support them. This banking / monetary system has gone too far, too many peoples have been dis-empowered, too much natural resources have been taken away from them, people are been dis-connected everywhere. I've lived and worked throughout Europe, States, South America, Africa, Indonesia and Australia. It's happening everywhere and people get sold on the idea of false short term wealth yet it is their future generations who have nothing.

It is all connected to this system, banks, corporations, multi-nationals etc. I know the usual people on here will criticize me for these comments yet again and I could respond by saying "I don't care", but I do! And maybe this is the real difference here. It's in the people, maybe it's just what kind of nature you are in yourself? :)

• Registered Users Posts: 12,164 ✭✭✭✭ben.schlomo

Gingko wrote: »
    Ben, This is a pointless argument? The occupy movement is happening in hundreds of squares and plazas all over the world at the same time. It is an initial natural reaction to what is been inflicted on people everywhere. It takes time for new born movements to become 100% on their ideology, exact goals and indeed answers.

I'm originally from the border and watched my community rip itself and it's own town centres apart before they could focus on how to deal with bringing about real change and justice. They finally have more or less and there is now equality and democracy in the north if still not ideal.

This new movement needs to be allowed more time for more organising, meetings, public debate etc. Once again I am not a member of the Occupy group but I strongly support them. This banking / monetary system has gone too far, too many peoples have been dis-empowered, too much natural resources have been taken away from them, people are been dis-connected everywhere. I've lived and worked throughout Europe, States, South America, Africa, Indonesia and Australia. It's happening everywhere and people get sold on the idea of false short term wealth yet it is their future generations who have nothing.

It is all connected to this system, banks, corporations, multi-nationals etc. I know the usual people on here will criticize me for these comments yet again and I could respond by saying "I don't care", but I do! And maybe this is the real difference here. It's in the people, maybe it's just what kind of nature you are in yourself? :)
    I reckon if they were to leave the 'Occupying' they may actually have some future but in their current guise and without stated goals there isn't going to be any real support for them by the public at large leaving them as this fringe element on the sides of society. The rest of what you say has been said before really. It, however, doesn't answer the initial question of what they want to achieve and how, not asking you to give me the answer as you are simply a sympathiser of their cause not a specific member. This is another reason they will lack support, if you can only say what you dont want and not what you can do to help/improve then you are never going anywhere really.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,371 ✭✭✭Fuinseog

skelliser wrote: »

its about fighting the system man. destroy capitalism, but live off welfare. adopt a pro communist stance, which I whole heartedly support, cos there is no way a communist government or council would tolerate the occupy galway movement.

• Registered Users Posts: 215 ✭✭Eman Resu

Don't make me turn this database around!

• Advertisement

Ben, all said and done at least it is a peaceful protest and they are not causing obstruction like some people are making out?

I have not been to Galway to see the protest yet but I have experienced the Occupy Dame Street group and they are quite orderly, respectful and have fenced off their area to keep it clean and easy for pedestrians to make their way around it. The Garda are in good spirits with them too.

Fuinseog wrote: »
    its about fighting the system man. destroy capitalism, but live off welfare. adopt a pro communist stance, which I whole heartedly support, cos there is no way a communist government or council would tolerate the occupy galway movement.

"Fighting the system" eh well yes! It stinks! I don't take welfare! Have paid thousands in taxes over the years and I'm anti communist as would be the huge majority on these protests actually. It's about real democracy for all of us. Leave your personal gripes aside.

• Registered Users Posts: 215 ✭✭Eman Resu

Here's the thing about communisim (or any other "political" system) they all share one common flaw... people.

Eman Resu wrote: »
    Here's the thing about communisim (or any other "political" system) they all share one common flaw... people.

Very true!! Maybe it's time that "Humanism" was given a chance? :)

All the systems tried and tested were still based on the monetary system and productivity regardless if it's Capitalism, Communism or Socialism.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,199 ✭✭✭muppetkiller

Very true!! Maybe it's time that "Humanism" was given a chance? :)

All the systems tried and tested were still based on the monetary system and productivity regardless if it's Capitalism, Communism or Socialism.

All "Ism's" are corrupt ...what we want is a good honest Dictator :D I call dibs !!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 125 ✭✭firedancer

The occupy group in galway are made up of freeloaders who are taking donations from people and spending it on piss ups in their own homes and on trips to the other camps around the country , revelling in their new found minor 'celebrity' status while actually doing absolutely nothing constructive to help find solutions to this economic mess. The leaders in Occupy Galway are all non-native which I find hilarious , they go home every night and any night anyone calls in there you will find approx one or two idiots that the self appointed 'leaders' or 'admiinistrators' have bullied into staying...WAKE UP people of Galway to what these professional activists are up to.!!

• Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

firedancer banned from thread and forum.

firedancer wrote: »
    The occupy group in galway are made up of freeloaders who are taking donations from people and spending it on piss ups in their own homes and on trips to the other camps around the country , revelling in their new found minor 'celebrity' status while actually doing absolutely nothing constructive to help find solutions to this economic mess. The leaders in Occupy Galway are all non-native which I find hilarious , they go home every night and any night anyone calls in there you will find approx one or two idiots that the self appointed 'leaders' or 'admiinistrators' have bullied into staying...WAKE UP people of Galway to what these professional activists are up to.!!

Absolutely ridiculous remarks! Professional deems that one makes a living from it? They certainly do not!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,106 ✭✭✭antoobrien

Whether or not he is charge has more to with with the years long investigation into Anglo and absolutely nothing to do with the protests.

It's not the first time he's been arrested to do with this either, it remains to be seen if he'll be charged.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement