Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Occupy Galway Group (mod note added)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,164 ✭✭✭✭ben.schlomo

antoobrien wrote: »
    Whether or not he is charge has more to with with the years long investigation into Anglo and absolutely nothing to do with the protests.

It's not the first time he's been arrested to do with this either, it remains to be seen if he'll be charged.
    Yep third time now, hopefully he is done in as bad a way as possible.

• Registered Users Posts: 532 ✭✭✭Gingko

Whether or not he is charge has more to with with the years long investigation into Anglo and absolutely nothing to do with the protests.

It's not the first time he's been arrested to do with this either, it remains to be seen if he'll be charged.

Yes Anto! I think we know that!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,371 ✭✭✭Fuinseog

I have to say, these guys know what they are about. they live rent free in a prime city centre location. they must save a fortune on taxis, though it must get noisy at night.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,106 ✭✭✭antoobrien

Gingko wrote: »
    Yes Anto! I think we know that!

So why did you post it up here, to give the protesters undeserved credit?

So why did you post it up here, to give the protesters undeserved credit?

I posted the link on it's own? Giving the protesters undeserved credit is all in your head! It is clear to see.

There is a lot of talk about the reasons why the Occupy group exists. Séan Fitzpatrick is one of these reasons. If you go back further in the thread you will see his name mentioned a few times. So naturally enough people on this thread will be interested.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 72 ✭✭Inclusion

I would like to know why the Occupy Facebook page is being censored on a regular basis. This is doing huge damage to the movement. My friend and I have separately and together on five occasions made an effort to make arrangements with the occupy group to make space for our tents to join in the protest. We have been discouraged at all levels. It only makes me wonder - seeing as we are both part of the 99% why were we blocked from joining in? What is going on up there in Eyre Square? I have fought against exclusion in all areas of society all my life and now it is coming at us from a totally unexpected source - I can only surmise there is something to hide at Occupy Galway camp.

Mod note: friedancer/Inclusion permbanned from the forum for trying to get around temp ban.

more likely they are only allowed a certain amount of space by the council......which in itself sounds ludicrious now that I think of it.

Slightly off topic, but what happens the next time a traveller group moves into some layby illegially? Can they just plaster their caravans with Occupy slogans and no action will be taken?

more likely they are only allowed a certain amount of space by the council......which in itself sounds ludicrious now that I think of it.

Slightly off topic, but what happens the next time a traveller group moves into some layby illegially? Can they just plaster their caravans with Occupy slogans and no action will be taken?
    Careful now, somebody else mentioned that and was banned i think. Good point though.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

We're not discussing whether that may or may not happen. Keep discussion on this group please.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,144 ✭✭✭✭Cicero

Where are these people now...?...didn't see then today when in Galway?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 141 ✭✭dasium

• Closed Accounts Posts: 172 ✭✭padraig91

Cicero wrote: »
    Where are these people now...?...didn't see then today when in Galway?

are they gone?!? i so hope they are gone

Was in Dublin last Saturday and called in to Dame Street. They seem to be getting a better response from the Dublin public then the group in Galway? They have many speakers of different backgrounds and lot's of live music. It's actually becoming something of a tourist attraction! They have a lot of support.

I met a barrister, an off duty gaurd, trades men, doctor, nurse, students, oaps the lot! I wish certain people on here would stop their stereotyping of who is there. Some of the occupy people told me that bank workers themselves have been down in support!

• Registered Users Posts: 251 ✭✭orangebud

firedancer wrote: »
    The occupy group in galway are made up of freeloaders who are taking donations from people and spending it on piss ups in their own homes and on trips to the other camps around the country , revelling in their new found minor 'celebrity' status while actually doing absolutely nothing constructive to help find solutions to this economic mess. The leaders in Occupy Galway are all non-native which I find hilarious , they go home every night and any night anyone calls in there you will find approx one or two idiots that the self appointed 'leaders' or 'admiinistrators' have bullied into staying...WAKE UP people of Galway to what these professional activists re up to.!!

@occupygalway started ranting about the same points mention above a few weeks ago on twitter

• Registered Users Posts: 2,053 ✭✭✭WallyGUFC

Gingko wrote: »
    Was in Dublin last Saturday and called in to Dame Street. They seem to be getting a better response from the Dublin public then the group in Galway? They have many speakers of different backgrounds and lot's of live music. It's actually becoming something of a tourist attraction! They have a lot of support.

I met a barrister, an off duty gaurd, trades men, doctor, nurse, students, oaps the lot! I wish certain people on here would stop their stereotyping of who is there. Some of the occupy people told me that bank workers themselves have been down in support!
    And I wish Occupy people would stop saying all the begrudgers wear suits. But c'est la vie. The longer it goes on, the more pointless it gets. Hope they have their tents well secured for the next few nights, not that many of them actually sleep there, but yeah...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,741 ✭✭✭Irishgoatman

WallyGUFC wrote: »
    And I wish Occupy people would stop saying all the begrudgers wear suits. But c'est la vie. The longer it goes on, the more pointless it gets. Hope they have their tents well secured for the next few nights, not that many of them actually sleep there, but yeah...

That word "Suits" again yet I didn't see it/them mentioned in the piece that was quoted. Very strange.

That word "Suits" again yet I didn't see it/them mentioned in the piece that was quoted. Very strange.
    Unless im quoting the wrong piece then it certainly does!!??

"Many of them prance around in expensive suits, full of their own self-importance, expecting people to pay homage to them."

Unless im quoting the wrong piece then it certainly does!!??

"Many of them prance around in expensive suits, full of their own self-importance, expecting people to pay homage to them."

If you read the posts more carefully you would see that my reply was to WallyGUFC! not you.
    Just look at the post I was referring to before you jump in please.

If you read the posts more carefully you would see that my reply was to WallyGUFC! not you.
    Just look at the post I was referring to before you jump in please.
    Wally was referring to the fact that 'Occupiers' loosely throw around the 'suits' thing from time to time, to which i added a piece, yes indeed it wasn't what you were referring to but nonetheless it backed his point.

So anyway whats happening up there these days? Doesn't seem to be much 'noise' coming from the people in the camp issue wise or else its not getting much coverage.

This obsession that some posters, not occupiers, have with the word "suits" is getting so ridiculous that people are now seeing the word in postings where it doesn't even appear!

Surely enough is enough. I gave an explanation earlier regarding the way the word is generally used. Can that not be accepted and let it drop?:confused:

• Advertisement

Was passing by last week and got chatting to one of the occupiers. Had a number of bags from HMV, Easons, etc as I was doing some Christmas shopping and the lad commented upon them before going on a rant about how I was helping the 1% by my continued loyalty to brands. He Was rather a rude and uneasent individual and while I would gladly have welcomed a discussion regarding what they hope to accomplish I don't like being attacked in the street especially from someone as condescending and rude as he was.

He repeatedly stated that by shopping in the stores that I did I was taking money out of the hands of Irish people. I would have made the point that these stores were employing Irish people, paying taxes, etc but I really don't think he had the brain capacity to understand anything beyond the most basic of arguments.

I did put one question to him, I asked him if he was currently employed and when he said he was not I asked him would he consider working in a place such as HMV of Tesco. He told me that he would not and would rather starve than serve the 1%. I asked was he in receipt of social welfare and he told me that he was and that it was a governments responsibility to support people such as him who chose not to work for the 1%.

At that I walked away and all I could think of the individual was what a tosser he was and if that if he is an example of those involved with the movement then no wonder people have such a negative opinion of it.

Was passing by last week and got chatting to one of the occupiers. Had a number of bags from HMV, Easons, etc as I was doing some Christmas shopping and the lad commented upon them before going on a rant about how I was helping the 1% by my continued loyalty to brands. He Was rather a rude and uneasent individual and while I would gladly have welcomed a discussion regarding what they hope to accomplish I don't like being attacked in the street especially from someone as condescending and rude as he was.

He repeatedly stated that by shopping in the stores that I did I was taking money out of the hands of Irish people. I would have made the point that these stores were employing Irish people, paying taxes, etc but I really don't think he had the brain capacity to understand anything beyond the most basic of arguments.

I did put one question to him, I asked him if he was currently employed and when he said he was not I asked him would he consider working in a place such as HMV of Tesco. He told me that he would not and would rather starve than serve the 1%. I asked was he in receipt of social welfare and he told me that he was and that it was a governments responsibility to support people such as him who chose not to work for the 1%.

At that I walked away and all I could think of the individual was what a tosser he was and if that if he is an example of those involved with the movement then no wonder people have such a negative opinion of it.
    Absolutely farcical stuff. I'm glad you asked him about Social Welfare, shows him up to be a complete and utter hypocrite. Would rather starve than serve the 1%, I had a proper LOL at that one. These people have absolutely no grasp of basic economic concepts. Do they want everyone working for these types of companies to quit? And further bankrupt the country because of Social Welfare? Oh no wait, they want to take the money BACK OUT of the banks, sure the banking system would definately hold up well to that move. Absolute loopers, morons, whatever. They just lack intelligence regarding the one issue they're really protesting against: basic economics. I don't have a grudge against these people, I'm sure some of them are decent humans. But they really need to get their heads straight and in touch with reality.

Ha you should have asked them about all their camping gear and who were they supporting by buying the tents and sleeping bags somehow i doubt all the stuff in their camp is irish made, to be honest i would be surprised if any of it was the only thing ireland really make are Aran sweaters!!

http://api.ning.com/files/40izjhY2Hn-aratXYhrjIefHxKArwCKFFbXuYSrR4oeKK9JvvYuPoEYouXCY0QWPFohwIx94-6r1YE-tEd*be34CcvdxTxlK/IMAG0095.JPG?width=737&height=413

like one of those guys is sitting on an office chair?! really what company did he support by buying that?! or should we assume its robbed like all the traffic cones and pallets around the camp
    and none of those tents look to be hand made, also in they blue tent they have a cooker? shouldnt they be cooking on fire they made from wood of trees they grew themselves? sandbags can only assume were stolen from somewhere. everyone seems to be wearing clothing that was bought in a shop!

If you are not ignorant with regard to the state/mess we're in and have engaged your brain in regard to what can/should be done about it, then please do not include yourself amongst those I was referring to.

perhaps we are aware of the mess we are in, but we are to pre-occupied with jobs and what not that we cant justify sitting around in eyre square all day! but im sure its well for some people who do get there free money every week to sit around

Thank Hippygran, she sent it to me by text.
    She's had to give my Grandson his computer back. Everyone say AHhhh.

TEXT?! but but that would mean you have a phone? which would mean you supported some company like nokia and considering i dont know any Irish phone brands you must have been taking money out of the hands of Irish people? surely not? and you must also be with vodafone, o2, 3 or metor only one of which is an Irish company

• Registered Users Posts: 6,106 ✭✭✭antoobrien

padraig91 wrote: »
    TEXT?! but but that would mean you have a phone? which would mean you supported some company like nokia and considering i dont know any Irish phone brands you must have been taking money out of the hands of Irish people? surely not? and you must also be with vodafone, o2, 3 or metor only one of which is an Irish company

Eircom (owns metoer & e-mobile) is owned by STT - which is not irish.

Looks like practicality triumphs over principle for the protestors

2 fellas playing the bongos in the camp yesterday. Drove past while listening to Dutch music on my Japanese radio in my German built car being run on imported petrol which no doubt, was adding to global emissions. And I thanked God I was in touch with reality, in some small way helping these economies and as a result, the world economy. Didn't know bongos were Irish made either...

• Registered Users Posts: 8,173 ✭✭✭Wompa1

WallyGUFC wrote: »
    2 fellas playing the bongos in the camp yesterday. Drove past while listening to Dutch music on my Japanese radio in my German built car being run on imported petrol which no doubt, was adding to global emissions. And I thanked God I was in touch with reality, in some small way helping these economies and as a result, the world economy. Didn't know bongos were Irish made either...

Dutch music?....

Wompa1 wrote: »
    Dutch music?....

yeah they have music over there too

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,173 ✭✭✭Wompa1

padraig91 wrote: »
    yeah they have music over there too

Very good, I didn't know that. I must look some Dutch bands up, could you suggest any?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement