Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Occupy Galway Group (mod note added)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,391 ✭✭✭inisboffin

skelliser wrote: »
    heads up occupy Galway, your brothers in occupy cork have finally copped on to my idea!!

http://www.broadsheet.ie/2012/01/02/occupy-cork-occupying-nama/

Ha ha good for them!
    A few others may have had that idea before ya though skelliser! Lol.
    Good idea nonetheless

• Registered Users Posts: 8,173 ✭✭✭Wompa1

Hmmmmm....Charles Manson occupied an old abandoned movie set and turned that into something similar....just saying....hippy commune...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,741 ✭✭✭Irishgoatman

Wompa1 wrote: »
    Hmmmmm....Charles Manson occupied an old abandoned movie set and turned that into something similar....just saying....hippy commune...

The power of positive thinking is still alive in Ireland I see!.

Wait and see. If they do their best and it comes to nothing THEN you can mock the idea. Not the intentions.

Good for them in Cork.:D

The power of positive thinking is still alive in Ireland I see!.

Wait and see. If they do their best and it comes to nothing THEN you can mock the idea. Not the intentions.

Good for them in Cork.:D

What good is it coming to? The only possible positive thing out of that I see if the skills training and is that some slap in the face to the government?...no..people here already get grants for college and offered FAS courses when unemployed...What is it they want to achieve? Why not let some entrepreneur use the office space for a start up company instead, thus creating jobs and helping innovation. If they are looking to help that is...if they do skills training are the qualified to certify people?

skelliser wrote: »
    heads up occupy Galway, your brothers in occupy cork have finally copped on to my idea!!

http://www.broadsheet.ie/2012/01/02/occupy-cork-occupying-nama/

So they've somehow gained access to the building and they're going to run it....:confused:

Wouldn't that be trespassing in some form?, I know there might not be any legislation to deal with the occupation of Eyre Square, but surely the means to remove them from that building in Cork are already there?

Also how would they set up electricity and the likes?!....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,985 ✭✭✭skelliser

its actually a good idea as it raises the issue of NAMA, probably the biggest scam purported on the irish people.
    An artificial floor on property prices only helps the vested interests and not the wider economy. A short painful correction is whats needed as opposed to the road japan went down, which we seem intent on following, 15 years of stagnation.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,220 ✭✭✭the realpigiron

Is there a similar NAMA owned building that could be occupied in Galway?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,106 ✭✭✭antoobrien

Is there a similar NAMA owned building that could be occupied in Galway?

Not hard to find out, here's the list of properties: http://www.nama.ie/download/properties_enforced/NAMAPropertiesSubjectToEnforcement.pdf

I'd guess an empty unit in Briarhill shopping centre going by that

antoobrien wrote: »

That link is not working for me mate. Did someone disable it after you put it up one wonders.

• Advertisement

Wompa1 wrote: »
    I'd guess an empty unit in Briarhill shopping centre going by that

It's not the shopping center, it's the business park.
    Briarhill Business Park
    Galway
    Ireland
    Development - Not Commenced

It looks like it's one of the sites in the business park - probably the scrub land beside western motors or cunningham higgins and the rest of the units.

That link is not working for me mate. Did someone disable it after you put it up one wonders.

I can still access it, but it might be to do with accepting terms & conditions (which I've already done)

try this page: http://www.nama.ie/about-our-work/properties-enforced/terms-of-use/

antoobrien wrote: »
    It's not the shopping center, it's the business park.

It looks like it's one of the sites in the business park - probably the scrub land beside western motors or cunningham higgins and the rest of the units.

Could take one of the empty unit in the shopping part anyway. It's going to be trespassing either way

The former Anglo Irish bank building? Is that empty these days?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 172 ✭✭padraig91

so they have been there over 11 weeks
    and im going to go ahead and assume there is about 10 people there constantly (judging this by the number of tents and taking an average)
    all of whom i can only assume are on the dole if they can sit around all day
    so thats 10*11=110*200=22000 of the tax payer money
    i know its not a lot of money in the grand scheme of things but im sure it could have been put to better use then letting a bunch of free loaders camp around

• Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

You assume a lot there.
    That they all are on the dole.
    That the money they get on the dole go somewhere else if they weren't in the protest.
    That they could have jobs to go to if they weren't in the protest, and not just sit in the house for 11 weeks.

Please don't call them freeloaders again. We don't know enough about them and also that's not a nice thing to say.

biko wrote: »
    You assume a lot there.
    That they all are on the dole.
    That the money they get on the dole go somewhere else if they weren't in the protest.
    That they could have jobs to go to if they weren't in the protest, and not just sit in the house for 11 weeks.

Please don't call them freeloaders again. We don't know enough about them and also that's not a nice thing to say.

well who can sit in a camp all day and have a job at the same time? unless they have that time turner thing from harry potter
    Well it would go somewhere else (or to someone who deserves it) if they didnt exist
    and yes there are lots of people on the dole that sit in their house but they dont make eyre square look like a halting site so i dont have any strong feelings about them

sorry about the free loaders thing....

padraig91 wrote: »
    well who can sit in a camp all day and have a job at the same time? unless they have that time turner thing from harry potter
    Well it would go somewhere else (or to someone who deserves it) if they didnt exist
    and yes there are lots of people on the dole that sit in their house but they dont make eyre square look like a halting site so i dont have any strong feelings about them

sorry about the free loaders thing....

They don't make Eyre Square look like a halting site. I think that the Occupy space there is kept fairly tidy. Whether you agree with them or not, every proper city has an Occupy protest space. Kudos to Galway that they are afforded a very central location.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,968 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

hippygran wrote: »
    At a brief glance, I can't see any section of the Public Order Act that would apply to the Occupy camp.

If a Traveller family set up camp in Eyre Square, I'm pretty sure that a legal reason to move them on would be found pretty quickly.

Struggling to see why the same doesn't apply to OG.

JustMary wrote: »
    If a Traveller family set up camp in Eyre Square, I'm pretty sure that a legal reason to move them on would be found pretty quickly.

Struggling to see why the same doesn't apply to OG.

They have a right to set up a protest. The inequity of the current financial climate calls for protest from ordinary decent citizens. The Occupy movement is getting some empathetic support from the public at large. If the authorities were to become heavy handed in their approach, they'd have a bigger problem to deal with believe you me.

• Advertisement

They don't make Eyre Square look like a halting site. I think that the Occupy space there is kept fairly tidy. Whether you agree with them or not, every proper city has an Occupy protest space. Kudos to Galway that they are afforded a very central location.

its got a wall of wooden pallets and a big tent made from a pieces of plastic i dont know what it looks on the inside but for the rest of us it is an eyesore!

They have a right to set up a protest. The inequity of the current financial climate calls for protest from ordinary decent citizens. The Occupy movement is getting some empathetic support from the public at large. If the authorities were to become heavy handed in their approach, they'd have a bigger problem to deal with believe you me.

yeah they can protest but i dont think they are the right to set up camp in the middle of town
    and i hop the guards kick them out would love to see them all getting peppered sprayed
    902_maybe_hippies.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 370 ✭✭celty

yeah they can protest but i dont think they are the right to set up camp in the middle of town
    and i hop the guards kick them out would love to see them all getting peppered sprayed
    902_maybe_hippies.jpg

So you would love to see a bunch of mainly young, idealistic protesters getting pepper sprayed after the way in which they people of this country have been screwed by politicians, developers, bankers, Eurocrats, etc over the past ten years.

With all the other crap in this country, and all the 'criminals' who have got away with far worse crimes than camping in Eyre Square in cold weather, that's pathetic.

I'm full of admiration for anyone who managed to camp out in last night's storm for something they believe in. Sure beats paying a fortune to rub shoulders with egotistical assholes in Ballybrit when FF were ruling the country not so long ago.

People with these sort of views make me want to emigrate from the Banana Republic. The Occupy Galway group, at least, challenge us to consider another way and are giving people some sort of focus for all the despair in the country right now.

902_maybe_hippies.jpg

Why don't you come down with your pepper spray yourself Padraig? Some chance of that - keyboard warrior:pac:.

Why don't you come down with your pepper spray yourself Padraig? Some chance of that - keyboard warrior:pac:.

no i dont intend on pepper spraying anything! thats why i said the police should do it

no i dont intend on pepper spraying anything! thats why i said the police should do it

The people involved with the Occupy movement are showing a bit of gumption by protesting against the inequity of the recent financial chaos and you want them pepper sprayed?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,053 ✭✭✭WallyGUFC

While I completely disagree with padraig's tactics of pepper-spraying them all (I lol'd), I have to disagree with this highlighted point. I can't see how that tiny group of protestors could cause a bigger problem if they were arrested. There's so few of them, and so few public supporters (I'm talking about just Galway here.) I mean, they've been there 3 months. Tell me something they've achieved? Literally nothing. This movement has been worldwide for 4 months, and nothing has been achieved, only police time wasted in the US because of the arrests made. COME UP WITH A PLAN, JUST ONE GODDAMN PLAN AND PEOPLE MIGHT START RESPECTING YOU, JOINING YOU AND CHANGING THINGS!! It's impossible to have any time for the protestors when they are coming across as freeloaders...

• Registered Users Posts: 4,391 ✭✭✭inisboffin

WallyGUFC wrote: »
    There's so few of them, and so few public supporters (I'm talking about just Galway here.)

Why are people being so 'separate' about the Galway protesters? Do people feel we are separate from the rest of Ireland? Separate from the other Occupy camps? The Dublin one (for one) has plenty of local business and 'working people' support.

Valid points are valid points, but as to it being an 'eyesore'? Come on! Really? It's quite compact and clean. Anytime I have walked by it's very tidy and someone standing beside it one day said "where are all those tents people some people are giving out about" - they didn't even notice it! I'd say the pallets are there for weather protection.

The people involved with the Occupy movement are showing a bit of gumption by protesting against the inequity of the recent financial chaos and you want them pepper sprayed? You're a craven, pathetic creature.

All the occupy people are showing is that if you pretend to have a cause you can set up camp anywhere and justify doing nothing all day, also your over use of flowery language just makes you look like you are up yourself

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

padraig91 was already banned from thread. Now very long ban.
    the realpigiron, no need to insult him.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement