Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Occupy Galway Group (mod note added)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,106 ✭✭✭antoobrien

hippygran wrote: »
    And if you think that msm, oil companies and governments aren't above twisting facts to suit their arguments then I pity you. You will argue with any point I make and I find you very tiresome. I have said several times that I am not an expert on this matter so I shall waste no more time on it. We shall have to agree to disagree.

I'm well aware of that.

Are you going to tell us the basis of your opinion so that we can debate it or are you going to do the o.g. shuffle and dodge it?

• Registered Users Posts: 112 ✭✭hippygran

antoobrien wrote: »
    I'm well aware of that.

Are you going to tell us the basis of your opinion so that we can debate it or are you going to do the o.g. shuffle and dodge it?

No, I am not going to debate it. It was one line in a wider posting that was picked up on. I repeat I don't know enough to debate it and I am not going to pretend that I do and open myself up for more sarcasm and snide comments from you. The way you respond to posts is often personally insulting and I am tired of it.

No, I am not going to debate it. It was one line in a wider posting that was picked up on. I repeat I don't know enough to debate it and I am not going to pretend that I do and open myself up for more sarcasm and snide comments from you. The way you respond to posts is often personally insulting and I am tired of it.

If you can read sarcasm from my words fair play to you, not that I give a flying f**k.

The thing that annoys me about the o.g. supporters is that you (as a group) bring up things - like your reference to shell to sea - as examples of why we are sheep being lead to the slaughter by the big bad corporate empires (excuse the poetic license but that's the impression that the o.g. posters give me).

Then when the o.g. posters are challenged on what is, you refuse to discuss it, instead being insulting about it. That refusal to engage makes it look like o.g. don't really want people digging trying to make their own mind up, but really want us to swallow "the word according to o.g."

O.g. don't want to wake up the "sheep" to the truth, just to follow a new leader.

If you can read sarcasm from my words fair play to you, not that I give a flying f**k.

The thing that annoys me about the o.g. supporters is that you (as a group) bring up things - like your reference to shell to sea - as examples of why we are sheep being lead to the slaughter by the big bad corporate empires (excuse the poetic license but that's the impression that the o.g. posters give me).

Then when the o.g. posters are challenged on what is, you refuse to discuss it, instead being insulting about it. That refusal to engage makes it look like o.g. don't really want people digging trying to make their own mind up, but really want us to swallow "the word according to o.g."

O.g. don't want to wake up the "sheep" to the truth, just to follow a new leader.

I gave a list of some of the things that the occupy movement in Ireland considers important. I didn't mention Shell to Sea, if you care to look back at the post..I mentioned our natural resources. That includes forestry, some of which is about to be sold off to pay our 'debts'. I am an individual and I am sick to death of your continual references to OG as if we are some sort of a collective organism rather than a group of individuals. You have made it quite clear that you will argue with anything that any OG supporter posts, that makes it pointless discussing with you. You have insulted all of us continually but, as far as I know, you are only willing to do this from behind a keyboard. I know it has been said before, and dismissed by yourself, but why don't you come down to camp sometime and look me in the eye and discuss matters with me...maybe you will keep a civil tone in your voice and we can have a genuine discussion? I will be around there from Monday onwards, my name is Tracy, and I will be happy to hear your opinions in person.

You have insulted all of us continually but, as far as I know, you are only willing to do this from behind a keyboard.

My hostility is down to the response I got the only time I attempted to talk with one of the o.g. group. I got insulted for having the temerity to just how much we had actually spent on the banks that year and not having documentary evidence on my person.

Never again, thanks.

• Advertisement

My hostility is down to the response I got the only time I attempted to talk with one of the o.g. group. I got insulted for having the temerity to just how much we had actually spent on the banks that year and not having documentary evidence on my person.

Never again, thanks.

Ah well, as I have said before, the Occupy groups are made up of individuals with widely varying views and attitudes. It is open to all, which means you will get all types of people. I am a middle aged mother and grandmother with very good manners, I don't insult anyone. I spend most of my time at the camp talking to passers by and visitors, which I enjoy very much. The part I don't enjoy is being insulted by drunken louts in the early hours of the morning, being intimidated and shouted down, sometimes threatened..and trying to discuss things with you on this forum is very reminiscent of those nights. You are determined to argue no matter what is said. If you don't agree with what we are doing, fine, you don't have to. Many people do, however, and it is the days talking to those people that make it feel worthwhile. Going back and forth with you on here is mentally draining and I don't want to do it any more. Come to camp and look me in the eyes while you dismiss my opinions and feelings if you wish.

• Registered Users Posts: 90 ✭✭prech101

biko wrote: »
    Just a great music piece to lighten the mood - The Original O.G.

if you like that, you might love this, at last a rapper who addresses the issues he sees, instead of blunts, bitches and 50inch TV's.......
    He also told the music industry to go and fook off and is doing quite well.

Dance With The Devil - Immortal Technique

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qggxTtnKTMo

The part I don't enjoy is being insulted by drunken louts in the early hours of the morning, being intimidated and shouted down, sometimes threatened..and trying to discuss things with you on this forum is very reminiscent of those nights.

Not that I care what anybody in or associated with the o.g. camp think of me but I'm not sure whether or not I should be insulted or take it as a compliment that I'm annoying you as much as your attempts to avoid discussion of anything (and then blame it on other people) is annoying me.

BTW I'm impressed that the drunks are making points that are thought out and based on something that can be backed up (now that, my dear, is sarcasm).

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 10,563 Mod ✭✭✭✭Robbo

From the Facebook...
    Occupy Galway #OccupyGalway
    We have been forced to sell OUR National Assets to pay For the Bank Bailouts to the IMF and ECB. Our Childrens Heritage.
    Like · · 44 · 2 hours ago ·
    4 people like this.

S******** what can bring a no confidence in the gov, any petition we can draw up?? they will be selling off our fist born next! They need ousting pretty rapidly before we are all enslaved to some foreign military lead dictator!
    2 hours ago · Like · 1

Occupy Galway #OccupyGalway The IMF Have contol Over it ALL.
    about an hour ago · Like

Occupy Galway #OccupyGalway S******** i even heard the cliffs of Moher were up for sale, and micheal flatley was interested in buying It ..no joke.
    about an hour ago · Like

Occupy Galway #OccupyGalway I woder would the American people allow their government to sell the grand canyon to To pay back their debt to the IMF i very much doubt It....
    eb6.jpg?1307463786

• Closed Accounts Posts: 95 ✭✭Hello world

Ah well, as I have said before, the Occupy groups are made up of individuals with widely varying views and attitudes. It is open to all, which means you will get all types of people. I am a middle aged mother and grandmother with very good manners, I don't insult anyone. I spend most of my time at the camp talking to passers by and visitors, which I enjoy very much. The part I don't enjoy is being insulted by drunken louts in the early hours of the morning, being intimidated and shouted down, sometimes threatened..and trying to discuss things with you on this forum is very reminiscent of those nights. You are determined to argue no matter what is said. If you don't agree with what we are doing, fine, you don't have to. Many people do, however, and it is the days talking to those people that make it feel worthwhile. Going back and forth with you on here is mentally draining and I don't want to do it any more. Come to camp and look me in the eyes while you dismiss my opinions and feelings if you wish.
    Well if you don't want to be insulted by drunks why don't ye set up camp somewhere else that is not surrounded by bars and nightclubs? How about somewhere out the far side of salthill? And u just said that you all have diffrent opinions and views? I'm just wondering do you have any common goals or are each one of ye trying to achieve something diffrent? Because I still don't know what it is ye are trying to do after asking countless times. (It's the equivalent of holding someone hostage and not giving a list of demands)
    Also what do your feelings have to do with anything?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,053 ✭✭✭WallyGUFC

Absolute rubbish yet again from another member of this group. The one and only reason this thread has descended into farce is because not of you people have answered direct questions that have been asked dozens of times. For example, how do you propose to save the economy without austerity (to which you are so vehemently opposed)? It really annoys me that you claim to be protesting, but you're really not. You are sitting in the Square, not making any plans whatsoever. Claiming to be the 99% is an absolutely ludicrous claim to make and could not be further from the truth. Baseless arguments and a complete lack of knowledge regarding numerous topics such as basic Economics, Politics and democracy have confirmed to me that you will get nowhere.

Although in fairness hippygran, you have posted without the scorn and stupidity that a certain other OG representative has shown on scores of occasions. I commend you for that much at least.

• Registered Users Posts: 120 ✭✭factual lies

I gave a list of some of the things that the occupy movement in Ireland considers important. I didn't mention Shell to Sea, if you care to look back at the post..I mentioned our natural resources. That includes forestry, some of which is about to be sold off to pay our 'debts'. I am an individual and I am sick to death of your continual references to OG as if we are some sort of a collective organism rather than a group of individuals. You have made it quite clear that you will argue with anything that any OG supporter posts, that makes it pointless discussing with you. You have insulted all of us continually but, as far as I know, you are only willing to do this from behind a keyboard. I know it has been said before, and dismissed by yourself, but why don't you come down to camp sometime and look me in the eye and discuss matters with me...maybe you will keep a civil tone in your voice and we can have a genuine discussion? I will be around there from Monday onwards, my name is Tracy, and I will be happy to hear your opinions in person.

Surely this is a good thing. The old trees will be replaced by the newly planted ones in there place. These trees consume more CO2 than the old ones making for cleaner air (photosynthesis (sp?) I believe its called, sorry not great at my science). To actually make a profit on this production line is also good ecomonically. Where is the wrong in it please?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,741 ✭✭✭Irishgoatman

Surely this is a good thing. The old trees will be replaced by the newly planted ones in there place. These trees consume more CO2 than the old ones making for cleaner air (photosynthesis (sp?) I believe its called, sorry not great at my science). To actually make a profit on this production line is also good ecomonically. Where is the wrong in it please?

Just 2 questions.

1/ Why do you assume that old are being replaced with new?.

2/ If there is profit to be made, why are the government selling it off?.

Just 2 questions.

1/ Why do you assume that old are being replaced with new?.

2/ If there is profit to be made, why are the government selling it off?.

Because who would buy a forest just to cut down all the trees once and not replant and make a living off it?

You would have to ask hippygram about ur second question. She is the one who brought up trees in i the first place.
    Anyways as far as the occupy people are concerned we have bigger problems on our hands because the cliffs of moher are of sale!

Because who would buy a forest just to cut down all the trees once and not replant and make a living off it?

You would have to ask hippygram about ur second question. She is the one who brought up trees in i the first place.
    Anyways as far as the occupy people are concerned we have bigger problems on our hands because the cliffs of moher are of sale!

So are they buying the land basically, the right to grow trees on that land???

so are we slowly selling of bits of our country. (the IMF way!!)

What else is up for grabs in the bargain basement sale we find ourselves in!!

prech101 wrote: »
    So are they buying the land basically, the right to grow trees on that land???

so are we slowly selling of bits of our country. (the IMF way!!)

What else is up for grabs in the bargain basement sale we find ourselves in!!

I don't know what they are buying but hippygram said they are selling forests however I'm not going to take her word as fact, so in a hipothetical world I would assume if someone bought a forest they would plant new trees and keep selling the wood.
    What have we sold so far just curious?
    According to occupy Galway the cliffs of moher are but Michael flatley has his eye on it.

It doesn't follow that more trees would be planted. The land could be used for another purpose.

As far as profit is concerned, you were the one who mentioned that, not hippygran, she only mentioned forestry being sold off.

And people keep saying that the O.G. people won't answer questions on statements that they have made!!!.

It doesn't follow that more trees would be planted. The land could be used for another purpose.

As far as profit is concerned, you were the one who mentioned that, not hippygran, she only mentioned forestry being sold off.

And people keep saying that the O.G. people won't answer questions on statements that they have made!!!.

Well who would buy a forest and not try turn a profit? Unless they just want to let the forest sit there in which case what is the problem?

If you want to answer me some questions here you go they have been asked loads of times with no answer:

What are the occupy group trying to achieve?

What are they doing to achieve this?

At what point they be satisifed and go home?

People don't say u don't answer questions on statements you say, ye just dot answe any relevant questions

Well who would buy a forest and not try turn a profit? Unless they just want to let the forest sit there in which case what is the problem?

If you want to answer me some questions here you go they have been asked loads of times with no answer:

What are the occupy group trying to achieve?

At what point they be satisifed and go home?

People don't say u don't answer questions on statements you say, ye just dot answe any relevant questions

If you had been following this thread properly and not just trying to be argumentative you would know that I am not part of the O.G. group. Therefore there is no reason why I should, or could, answer your questions.

• Advertisement

The statutory roles of Coillte wrt forestry in Ireland will not change, since it was founded under statute defining the duties of the company. The company that buys Coillte will not be allowed change the use of the land beyond those limitations. We might see more recreation areas (that we have to pay for) but that's about it.

For any prospective new owners to turn a profit on Coillte land, they'll have to plant more trees.

If you had been following this thread properly and not just trying to be argumentative you would know that I am not part of the O.G. group. Therefore there is no reason why I should, or could, answer your questions.

I have read a good portion of this however sorry I haven't been on it since page 1 I have other things to tend to rather then reading all of this. Anyways the only things I want to know is why the occupy people are there and what do they want done so they will go home because I'm sick of looking at them to be honest.
    And you are obvisouly a supporter of them even if u don't camp out do u happen to know the answers to either of these questions?

Well who would buy a forest and not try turn a profit? Unless they just want to let the forest sit there in which case what is the problem? - Because this is a Irish natural resource and should be used to for the long term benefit of the nations people, not sold off for a quick gain/cash.

What are the occupy group trying to achieve? (many!!)
    highlighting the fact that the rich get richer poor get poorer due to a rigged finance system.
    Highlighting the mass transfer of public wealth into private ownership.
    Freedom of speech and the continuing assault on your rights by the 1% (SOPA, NDAA, Patriot Act for example)
    Corporate corruption and influence on elected officials

Highlighting this, forcing main stream media to report on it.
    Putting it on the political agenda
    Coming together as a group to try and come up with ideas/plans to address this.
    Supporting other groups, such as action against evictions etc

At what point they be satisifed and go home? (very open ended question!!)
    When money is out of politics, and systems used by banks/institutions/Govts are fair,transparent and those who control them have accountability to the public.
    A fairer distribution of wealth.
    A countries natural resourceful are used for the good of the people in that country (Nigeria as a current example)
    When huge amounts of public monies are not diverted to military and private corps and military power is not used to force the agenda of corps (example, current GMO seed dispute between US and France), Monsanto (i really fooking hate this company!!!!)

There are many more and this reflects the mix that makes up OWS.
    This movement is still in its infancy and will continue to grow and evolve in 2012. I predict a very interesting spring/summer this year.

And listen OWS do not have all the answers and of course you can attack there ideas, but these are just ideas that will evolve over time into coherent objectives with the means and support to action them.

I have read a good portion of this however sorry I haven't been on it since page 1 I have other things to tend to rather then reading all of this. Anyways the only things I want to know is why the occupy people are there and what do they want done so they will go home because I'm sick of looking at them to be honest.
    And you are obvisouly a supporter of them even if u don't camp out do u happen to know the answers to either of these questions?

well what's the point in explaining anything to you,, you are not really interested.

U seem too spout off quite a bit but are to lazy to learn the truth behind the mask of greed banks.corps,rating agencies/Govts hide behind.

WAKE UP

• Registered Users Posts: 1,571 ✭✭✭Red_Wake

well what's the point in explaining anything to you,, you are not really interested.

U seem too spout off quite a bit but are to lazy to learn the truth behind the mask of greed banks.corps,rating agencies/Govts hide behind.

WAKE UP

And where would you recommend I learn the truth?

And listen OWS do not have all the answers and of course you can attack there ideas, but these are just ideas that will evolve over time into coherent objectives with the means and support to action them.

Your quotes are all messed up lp lease fix it it makes it very hard to read.
    Anyways thanks for giving me the answers to some ofthe questions I have wanted answers to for some time now. Are u in the camp yourself?

However a fairer distribution of wealth is stupid why should someone who works hard goes to college and gets a good job have anywhere near the same sort of income of someone no never made any effort. Or why should like bill gates have to pay for other peoples bills. The even distribution is just for people who want something for nothing

"Highlighting this, forcing main stream media to report on it.
    Putting it on the political agenda
    Coming together as a group to try and come up with ideas/plans to address this.
    Supporting other groups, such as action against evictions etc""
    Why don't u highlight it without making the square look like a halting site? Perhaps have a march like every other protestor.
    What ideas/plans have you come up with (other then new ways to make a bong)
    Yeah I have seen what you do for others but again it dosnt require camping out

Red_Wake wrote: »
    And where would you recommend I learn the truth?

"The truth is out there"

well you could use the internet for a while anyways, SOPA will soon end that avenue (if passed)
    Twitter rocks for info and links.

Try reading some books from the likes of Chris Hedges, Noam Chomsky, John Perkins.

Watch a doc called "The inside Job" available free online.

Heres a link from Press conference, European Parliament, Brussels - 01 December 2011
    Crisis: Who is Pulling the Strings?
    - Chi tira i fili della crisi? - Conferenza Stampa, Parlamento Europeo, Bruxelles

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mLAGC96JyvI&feature=share

• Registered Users Posts: 8,173 ✭✭✭Wompa1

"The truth is out there"

well you could use the internet for a while anyways, SOPA will soon end that avenue (if passed)
    Twitter rocks for info and links.

Try reading some books from the likes of Chris Hedges, Noam Chomsky, John Perkins.

Watch a doc called "The inside Job" available free online.

Heres a link from Press conference, European Parliament, Brussels - 01 December 2011
    Crisis: Who is Pulling the Strings?
    - Chi tira i fili della crisi? - Conferenza Stampa, Parlamento Europeo, Bruxelles

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mLAGC96JyvI&feature=share

Why do you trust those sources?

• Registered Users Posts: 46 lobes

However a fairer distribution of wealth is stupid ... why should like bill gates have to pay for other peoples bills.

Why should €1,250,000,000 be paid to Anglo bondholders next Wed 25th Jan?
    http://bondwatchireland.blogspot.com/

• Advertisement

lobes wrote: »
    Why should €1,250,000,000 be paid to Anglo bondholders next Wed 25th Jan?
    http://bondwatchireland.blogspot.com/

Well that retarded because they are a **** up. However I watched a YouTube video about the 1% and they used bill gates name in it anyone who makes millions/billions for them selfs already pay more then their fair share of tax, even people who earn 100,000 pay more then their fair share. So why should these people pay more then their share? So people who did nothing with their lives can have it easier?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement